Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yo, Carbs.

If you want to finish and fix another idle attempt of mine, you could tackle the '73 AMC Javelin AMX ;)

(version from Better Call Saul)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yo, Carbs.

If you want to finish and fix another idle attempt of mine, you could tackle the '73 AMC Javelin AMX ;)

Dude, see it through! This is such a good start, goddamn! And that's a good use of one of my favorite pieces ever, the 1 x 4 Technic plate.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Dude, see it through! This is such a good start, goddamn! And that's a good use of one of my favorite pieces ever, the 1 x 4 Technic plate.

Thanks!
Do they still make that piece? Seems to only be in old colours.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Welp, that's the first time in a long time a new set has appealed to me so much that I need to get it as soon as I can. I'm not ashamed to admit that nostalgia is the main reason for that. What can I say? Classic Pirates was one of my favourite themes growing up.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Thanks!
Do they still make that piece? Seems to only be in old colours.

Don't think so, Bricklink says the last set to have it was in 2004

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That Pirate set is pushin my buttons for sure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How long does it usually take for Target to get special sets? I see they have the Treehouse now and know I've seen most other sets there at some point. I mean online, not in stores.

I'm going to force myself to wait on the Pirate set. But rather than waiting for 10% off with double points, I was thinking of waiting for Target to have it on sale for 20% off + 5% red card.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks to the generosity of people who rolled through my Rebrickable and spent a bunch, I have enough spare dollars to justify ordering up the parts I needed for the '81 El Camino! I really cannot thank enough the people who made it so. I appreciate y'all's support so very much. Huge shoutout also to Lizard Combatant for conceptualizing the '81 version of this and coming up with a fantastic-looking hood stripe and headlight arrangement. So anyway, by ridiculously popular request, here it is.

Right, that's the other side of it, right? I think they really wanted to be able to have a "real pirate ship" too, and that presentation can appease those that don't like the fantastical island presentation.

I think El Camino! by law requires that ! whenever you mention it. My older brother had a friend with an El Camino! and I thought it was so f-ing cool. Great job guys.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yo, Carbs.

I look forward to you all running out of cool Breaking Bad cars and ending up making a Pontiac Aztek.

(Seriously, though, I’m always jealous of the skill of this stuff - my brain just doesn’t work that way!)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That is loving incredible

Doctor Spaceman posted:

As someone who wanted a Lego pirate ship in the 80s I feel extremely pandered to.

Yes, this. Perfect.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I look forward to you all running out of cool Breaking Bad cars and ending up making a Pontiac Aztek.

(Seriously, though, I’m always jealous of the skill of this stuff - my brain just doesn’t work that way!)

:agreed:

I can’t MOC worth a drat, so I have serious respect for anyone who can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But that's the entire entertainment offering of lego. :colbert:

Buy a new set and build it in an afternoon, that's basically all the entertainment you get out of it turns into a dust collector. But reuse the parts to make new stuff? That's where the years of fun is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's definitely missing a monkey.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

But that's the entire entertainment offering of lego. :colbert:

Buy a new set and build it in an afternoon, that's basically all the entertainment you get out of it turns into a dust collector. But reuse the parts to make new stuff? That's where the years of fun is.

Listen I get a lot of joy out of carefully dusting and arranging my toys

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

Listen I get a lot of joy out of carefully dusting and arranging my toys

:hai:

Also build MOCs but there is better ways to get spare parts than expensive sets.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am probably going to get that pirate ship

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Oh god, what colour would you even need? I don't think they do enough parts in yellowish green.

It's no Nissan Cube, but it's certainly in the ugly car hall of fame.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Chairchucker posted:

I am probably absolutely going to get that pirate ship

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh god, what colour would you even need? I don't think they do enough parts in yellowish green.

It's no Nissan Cube, but it's certainly in the ugly car hall of fame.

Sand Green is probably the closest current color.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sand Green is probably the closest current color.

Yeah that'd work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You could do a whole series of BB/BCS cars with Skyler’s Grand Wagoneer, Jesse’s Monte Carlo, Saul’s Esteem, and Mike’s 5th Ave.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
LEGO® UCS® Crystal Ship (5381 pcs)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cool interview with the pirate ship designers:
http://www.newelementary.com/2020/03/lego-interview-21322-pirates-designer-madge-carlson.html

Includes photos of the various design iterations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

http://www.newelementary.com/2020/03/lego-interview-21322-pirates-designer-madge-carlson.html

Oh, that’s very helpful at designating what was what on the original design. Because it was 90% brown bricks, it was hard to differentiate what was what. I liked the buildings, but didn’t actually notice that were ship parts built into it. While I liked the little town look, it was difficult to see what I was looking at. The revised iterations definitely fix that, and make it much better.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

smackfu posted:

Oh wow, this set was made from that Ideas set? I had no idea, didn't recognise it at all.

I understand why they changed it, but I still liked the Ideas set much better.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I want both. I want all the pirates.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Ok, its official, i have turned into the Grinch.

I don't care one bit for that pirates set. I don't find it a particularly attractive display model and the ship itself is disappointing. I'd like the ship to be bigger ("UCS scale")

I say this as someone that had every pirates set in the late 80s early 90s. I saved my allowance for like an entire year to buy the BSB when i was a kid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Even though the ship is way bigger than the original and the reissue?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

Even though the ship is way bigger than the original and the reissue?

Bigger and has a detailed interior. I doubt it's quite as nice as Ninjago movie destiny's bounty. But I think it might be the nicest pirate ship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm gonna need some of those pirate minifigs to put in my Lunar Module set to have whalers on the moon.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

Bigger and has a detailed interior. I doubt it's quite as nice as Ninjago movie destiny's bounty. But I think it might be the nicest pirate ship.
I think it definitely is, but it could benefit from a small interior MOC conversion to restore its gun deck.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Utilized the quarantine sorting and building. i do both at the same time, look for pieces in my big parts box and pull stuff out as im looking, all the 1x4s or something.

Ive put up 6 buildings so far. 1 restaurant, 2 1st floor storefronts, 2 single houses, a garage. Still renovating my apartment/grocer.

I like my process so far. I frame out the buildings with white bricks that i have a million of. then build up from there with the decorative stuff. or just build a whole white frame and take it apart when i add the decorations.

Havent done any interiors yet. I dont have the ability to post pics or i would. is there an easier way to post pictures than buying up my account.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ptkfvk posted:

Havent done any interiors yet. I dont have the ability to post pics or i would. is there an easier way to post pictures than buying up my account.
Upload to imgur.com (free and no account needed) then paste the image URLs here. SA should auto format them into img tags, which you can change to timg tags if they're huge.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So here's my latest iteration on Nacho's '73 Javelin, hope no one minds the car WIP.

Still no interior and I had to make quite a few compromises to keep the grill how I like it.
Don't really like how the hood "paint job" was realised, if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

e: \/\/\/ thanks, it owes a lot to Carbohydrates' various instructions. I'd have had no clue where to start a month a ago.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 25, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hot drat, that's nice.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

yeah, the cars you guys make are incredible.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Anyone have the Disney Train and any thoughts on it? I kinda want to get a Lego train, and I like the aesthetic of it and the station, but that price is making me balk.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dang. I only want the little makeshift fort/desert island thingy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Dang. I only want the little makeshift fort/desert island thingy.

That's the whole thing. The ship is an alternate build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lord Hydronium posted:

Anyone have the Disney Train and any thoughts on it? I kinda want to get a Lego train, and I like the aesthetic of it and the station, but that price is making me balk.

I bought it heavily discounted at Xmas. Even at 30ish% off I feel I paid too much. The train has some interesting bits, but overall the build isn't particularly interesting and I don't think it's the most striking display item, either.