Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Elfface posted:

Ah, the Doc Savage approach.

Wow I wasn’t expecting to see a Doc Savage reference in ADTRW haha. I read the poo poo out of the whole series when I found them in one of my dad’s old boxes years ago. I would love to see that rebooted in some fashion!

Also was anyone else expecting a little bit more from that fight? I know it sticks to the webcomic well but I though Murata would give us more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Is Mangadex down now or is my phone acting up? I can't read the new chapter. :(

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Shadow0 posted:

Is Mangadex down now or is my phone acting up? I can't read the new chapter. :(

yeah, its down

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Reiche posted:

Wow I wasn’t expecting to see a Doc Savage reference in ADTRW haha. I read the poo poo out of the whole series when I found them in one of my dad’s old boxes years ago. I would love to see that rebooted in some fashion!

Also was anyone else expecting a little bit more from that fight? I know it sticks to the webcomic well but I though Murata would give us more

That was the fight in its base form. We'll see the final updated version by June, just like with Child Emperor and Flashy Flash.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's interesting that Alloy lost his hair when he got stronger, much like Saitama did, though Alloy's strength pales in comparison to that of Saitama's.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's interesting that Alloy lost his hair when he got stronger, much like Saitama did, though Alloy's strength pales in comparison to that of Saitama's.

That happens to bodybuilders a lot IRL, since their drugs can cause hair loss. I assumed it was just part of the look they wanted for his design.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He probably used A/C on a few of those hot summer says, reducing his progress.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Are they being racist against japanese people? Since he ascended to become a superior black man

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I was waiting for this chapter to come out to see the reaction and it seems basically the same as mine. It's a really odd choice.

That said, I love how he grows from here on out. The dude is in for a wild ride now.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
To anyone more familiar with Japanese culture, is this Darkshine issue just a matter of a cultural "blind spot"? It seems inconceivable to me (a North American) that both ONE and Murata (and, presumably, any other members of their publishing team) could be completely oblivious to the problem of your story's only apparent black character, not actually being a black person.

It's just weird, since it would be so easy for the manga to just ret-con that Darkshine is black. It's also weird to me that the change in skin tone goes completely un-commented on. Is "body-builders always use bronzers/fake tans" really such a well known thing that everyone would just get it?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Japan is not a country famous for its... Even handed treatment of foreigners, and racist depictions of black people are pretty common in anime (I stopped watching Kuroko no Basket after they introduced the African basketball player who was dumb as rocks, spoke like an idiot, but was ATHLETICALLY SUPERIOR). Wasn't it even a plot point in Eyeshield 21?

The bar is the floor, so I'm not surprised at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bucswabe posted:

To anyone more familiar with Japanese culture, is this Darkshine issue just a matter of a cultural "blind spot"? It seems inconceivable to me (a North American) that both ONE and Murata (and, presumably, any other members of their publishing team) could be completely oblivious to the problem of your story's only apparent black character, not actually being a black person.

It's just weird, since it would be so easy for the manga to just ret-con that Darkshine is black. It's also weird to me that the change in skin tone goes completely un-commented on. Is "body-builders always use bronzers/fake tans" really such a well known thing that everyone would just get it?

It's ill advised and at this stage, someone should've told them something. But I feel it comes from the same place of obliviousness as Pokemon Black/White 2 in which a black gym leader from BW1 is retired, and this guy gets to be a gym leader

Now look at him again, but at his hips and feet. Skintone and tans have a pretty wide range over there.

I'm not saying this is right or anything. And yeah, i'd agree that retconning Darkshine to always having been dark skinned would have been the best, but this scenario is born from something sorta common rather than a place of malice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, even the anime assumed he was black. This was how he looked in season 1,

That ain't skin bronzer!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, even the anime assumed he was black. This was how he looked in season 1,

That ain't skin bronzer!

The dub voice actor is African-American as well.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Yea it's just a big missed opportunity really. SA is a cool character and this takes away from it a bit.

Of course if they did the retcon then we would have an entirely different argument about ruining the original vision of the character.

Now to wait for the anime only watchers to catch up to this scene. (Who knows, maybe it will be retconned then)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

It's ill advised and at this stage, someone should've told them something. But I feel it comes from the same place of obliviousness as Pokemon Black/White 2 in which a black gym leader from BW1 is retired, and this guy gets to be a gym leader

Now look at him again, but at his hips and feet. Skintone and tans have a pretty wide range over there.

I'm not saying this is right or anything. And yeah, i'd agree that retconning Darkshine to always having been dark skinned would have been the best, but this scenario is born from something sorta common rather than a place of malice.

If there's one thing I've learned in my life is that skin tone doesn't mean poo poo if you don't look caucasian.

Being blasian is a nightmare.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Japan is not a country famous for its... Even handed treatment of foreigners, and racist depictions of black people are pretty common in anime (I stopped watching Kuroko no Basket after they introduced the African basketball player who was dumb as rocks, spoke like an idiot, but was ATHLETICALLY SUPERIOR). Wasn't it even a plot point in Eyeshield 21?

The bar is the floor, so I'm not surprised at all.

Yup, there was a black dude called Panther Spencer or something, and no-one could match his top speed, so they had use special techniques and pure skill to overcome his SUPERIOR ATHLETICISM. Then Panther got tutored by a formerly racist white guy, and learned all of his techniques and became unbeatable.

So yeah.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I don't think there's any way to fix Darkshine. If they made him black it wouldn't fix that he looks like a racist caricature on steroids.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't think there's any way to fix Darkshine. If they made him black it wouldn't fix that he looks like a racist caricature on steroids.

Mr. Popo looks like a racist caricature. Darkshine looks like a muscular black man.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Setting Mr. Popo as the standard is unfair. It's like using lynching as the standard for whether something is racist or not.

Darkshine is 'merely' a big lipped beast of a man.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Its true that he is a large man who has lips, but he's not depicted as beastly.

That'd be the dude who's all jagged edges who's fingers turn claws when he's in motion, and who's name is "Wolf."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Darkshine honestly seems to be portrayed as one of the most thoughtful and empathetic characters even before this point. He was the only S Class to attempt to keep everyone working together during the Boros stuff as well. He’s a big guy but he’s not portrayed as a dumb person or a jerk jock. If he was of African descent he’d be far less offensive then Puri Puri Prisoner for example, and honestly if he’d always had dark skin his story wouldn’t really suffer at all imo.

The jerk jock character is the various Tank Tops and even then Tank Top Master seems to be the most good-hearted of the lot too.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 24, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tank Top Master is a golden hearted man

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's friends with the best hero Mumen Rider so he's good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Mumen Rider is the best hero

When Saitama tells him he did a good job against the Sea King :unsmith:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress I forgot about Homeless Emperor wonder how that is gonna get resolved

wonder how all them fights get resolved

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Probably in one punch.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

verbal enema posted:

gently caress I forgot about Homeless Emperor wonder how that is gonna get resolved

wonder how all them fights get resolved

Atomic Samurai is probably my favourite S Class, and it kills me that my dude's been dangling by his hair in Black Sperm's giant hand-head for, like, months...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Atomic Samurai owns and is a very good teacher

BUT HE DIDNT TELL THEM HOW TO CUT WATER NOOO

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Warden posted:

Yup, there was a black dude called Panther Spencer or something, and no-one could match his top speed, so they had use special techniques and pure skill to overcome his SUPERIOR ATHLETICISM. Then Panther got tutored by a formerly racist white guy, and learned all of his techniques and became unbeatable.

So yeah.

I still think people are blowing this way out of proportion. The coach is racist and sucks, yes. Panther is a 6' tall dude who does freerunning all the time to practice, no poo poo he's a good runningback.

Also there's a cool black dude in an anime I saw once. His name is Simon Brezhnev he's very strong and sells good sushi.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I mean, it always kind of struck me as weird to call Panther racist, given that his whole arc (aside from his actual physical abilities, which were amazing because he was an amazing physical prodigy (as some people are, he was the Michael Phelps of runningbacks) who also worked super-duper hard every single day (he basically got both shonen tropes in one)) was based around how incredibly stupid and pointless and without any merit racism is.
Like, every single player on his team loved him (Panther), and thought their coach was being incredibly dumb for allowing his racism to blind himself to reality, spending basically their entire game in the series trying to convince him to stop being such a stupid goddamn racist and put Panther in, because he's awesome and worked hard to deserve his spot on the field.
Then the coach eventually gets it through his big dumb Texan head that maybe his racism was actually bad and dumb after all, and he was wrong to believe in it just because he was bitter about having lost a runningback spot of his own back in his younger days to a black man, upon which he'd gone all-in on his racism in that whole 'one bad experience with a minority group can turn a dumb person into a *ist/phobe' thing.
Seriously, that whole arc could have been an exceptionally long and better-written Afterschool Special on why Racism is Bad.

I also wrote out a seriously way too long paragraph on why Darkshine isn't inherently racist as a character, but it's one of those positions where the more you write out defending your position and citing various facts, the worse you wind up looking, so I deleted it all. I still maintain that, though.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, it always kind of struck me as weird to call Panther racist, given that his whole arc (aside from his actual physical abilities, which were amazing because he was an amazing physical prodigy (as some people are, he was the Michael Phelps of runningbacks) who also worked super-duper hard every single day (he basically got both shonen tropes in one)) was based around how incredibly stupid and pointless and without any merit racism is.
Like, every single player on his team loved him (Panther), and thought their coach was being incredibly dumb for allowing his racism to blind himself to reality, spending basically their entire game in the series trying to convince him to stop being such a stupid goddamn racist and put Panther in, because he's awesome and worked hard to deserve his spot on the field.
Then the coach eventually gets it through his big dumb Texan head that maybe his racism was actually bad and dumb after all, and he was wrong to believe in it just because he was bitter about having lost a runningback spot of his own back in his younger days to a black man, upon which he'd gone all-in on his racism in that whole 'one bad experience with a minority group can turn a dumb person into a *ist/phobe' thing.
Seriously, that whole arc could have been an exceptionally long and better-written Afterschool Special on why Racism is Bad.=

So, yeah, the Panther arc walks a real thin line between "this is depicting racism" and "this is racist" and it doesn't help that Hiruma, the character who is Always Right, goes on and on about the muscles that only blacks posses.

Then Panther comes back for the series's final game and all that criticism of racism is replaced with a lazy black celebrity and a lot more celebration of genetic superiority. That last game was total rear end.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be fair, Hiruma is also completely full of poo poo about 80% of the time.

And I try to pretend that last game doesn't exist for numerous reasons, of which that is one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EimiYoshikawa posted:

To be fair, Hiruma is also completely full of poo poo about 80% of the time.

And I try to pretend that last game doesn't exist for numerous reasons, of which that is one.

I thought that last game was really good! Ending Eyeshield at the Christmas Bowl was a good choice that brought everyone's stories full circle. There definitely wasn't an extra 30+ chapters of Japan going up against the insurmountable genetics of America.

...and while the character Darkshine is thoughtful and empathetic, his design still doesn't sit well with me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The NASA game isn't weird and sorta gross about race because it shits on Panther or anything, I'd even say Panther himself is a good and cool character that's treated well, it's because of the weird exceptionalism that every character gets into about black athletes. Like Sena going "drat the natural arm length of a black man makes his running form perfect! I can't hope to catch him" and then the arc showing yeah, Sena's right.

The comic isn't rude to Panther or anything the arc just gets occasionally super weird about him.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
While we are talking about racism, I was watching Terraformars because it looked interesting. After the third or so episode I couldn't really work out what was problematic about the antagoist creatures "Terraformar", something just felt off. Then I realised they're just thinly vieled Africans lol:

I think they rape one of the few female characters. It's so popular there's a live action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCq4baH2vzI

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I thought Darkshine was just supposed to be Ronnie Coleman

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Japan is pretty backwards when it comes to race and gender

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

He's just reads as ONE aping Kinnikuman and bodybuilder culture in general. It just lands a lot flatter for western audiences since those features get associated with blackface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I guess he's basically a darker prince/king kinikku but without the fish-fin the lips look a lot different.