Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For fractional productivity boosts, would it really hurt to just give a hidden fractional resource? Having to get 5 levels of research to see any improvement is a bummer.

it does, because it adds more data to store (which multiplies to a lot of file size) as well as a lot of fiddle math to sometimes-but-sometimes not add an integer amount of X. What I might do is adjust the first upgrades for each class of productivity upgrade so it's say, 4 level of 100% each, scaling harder, vs 20 levels of 20%.

started designing the 2nd map you'll get and so far looks like this:

FLESH WORLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

every level should do something is the golden rule.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

A few quick questions from the beginning of evil mode:

1) When should I transition from normal to evil ngu? I have no clue what the break-even point is for the evil ones to outgain their faster, more humble brethren.

2) Are there any priority quirks/perks? After filling out the banks I've just been buying all of the EM cap, power, bars stuff, which is okay I guess but it's also not accomplishing anything I couldn't also do with experience.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're right at the beginning then the "welcome to evil" perk is the obvious one. Also, a few levels of the Fibonnaci perk is something to consider.

The E/M perks are multiplicative with your current stats, so they're still well worthwhile. Buying stuff up with xp is merely additive.

Get a few levels of evil NGUs, then go back to normal.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cool, thanks- it's good to know about the multiplicative thing.

Is there a obvious point to switch to evil ngus full-time? Or should I just stick to normal until I can cap all the evil ones?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's kinda fuzzy, but definitely way before you're capping them.

At some point your normal NGUs aren't growing very fast even though you're capping them, that's probably a good time to switch.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Jabor posted:

It's kinda fuzzy, but definitely way before you're capping them.

At some point your normal NGUs aren't growing very fast even though you're capping them, that's probably a good time to switch.

Consensus seems to be around when normal pp hours 60-80m

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh cool, that's easy enough to remember- thanks guys!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In NGU, is there any particular way to tell when I should be pushing forward as hard as possible and when I should fall back and do a few challenges?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

where the gently caress's my lol

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Idling Beast v4, all challenges done. Looking to push into Evil, what should I get? Yes I know the pin in discord tells me about what attack/Defense I need, but I want to make my life easier.

And yes I know about activation, I’ll get that.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Save your PP for the "Welcome to Evil" perk, its a big boost to your stuff and gives you a kickstart in Evil

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Extra training gives you Avance training faster and it's v good too

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Now that I have resource #3 unlocked, should I still be pouring PP/QP into the EM power/cap things, or spending it on perks/quirks for the third resource? (I'm assuming EM should take priority, since I won't have a big use for it once I can cap evil NGUs but the third resource is hilariously expensive and will be useful for a while.)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I bought exactly enough speed to stop R3 from flashing, and then one big blast of cap, so I have like 200k R3. Just idling Nerdv4 and GMv1 now. I'm also not sure when to start investing into R3 more heavily.

With that amount, I was able to do 1 milestone of page-1-hacks, and I'm doing 'just ok' with wishes. Still finishing lvl10 of "faster wishes" before I branch out.

All that to say, I have the same question :)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A this point, I don't think just buying more raw Energy or Magic would help much, reducing the NGU requirements through Hack and Perks does such a good job that I have spent almost all XP on R3 ever since unlocking it - right now aiming at the Godmother V2.

E/M upgrading so far has been through Perks and Wishes, with the Hacks covering the more specific uses. Cycling through milestones helps - Set one for A/D, a slightly lower one to Adventure, a slightly slightly lower one to Time Machine and so on until you go back to A/D.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Oops, just saw there was a baby's first quirk i somehow missed until way after beast v2 because it cost 300 and didn't come up in the "can afford" after a couple quests (and mostly because i'm an idiot).

If your progress is stalling in the same place, take a look!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there any reason to not immediately jump into a Basic Challenge when you hit Evil in NGU? Your number and banks are gone anyway, so it seems like a free 10% to adventure stats once you hit boss 58 unless I'm missing something.

e: Seemed to work just fine!

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 24, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Just discovered that "I Wish Active Quests Were More Rewarding II" also give more QP to idle mode quests.
Is that intended and i am misunderstanding the wording of the Wish or a bug?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Just discovered that "I Wish Active Quests Were More Rewarding II" also give more QP to idle mode quests.
Is that intended and i am misunderstanding the wording of the Wish or a bug?

Idle quests just give a percentage of active quest QP, so any change to active quest rewards is gonna affect idle quests too.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
RE NGU: I cannot recall if I asked already, but is a MacOS version on the roadmap? I feel like I'm somehow losing MORE time per day lately by running the game in Chrome, which is frustrating from the lost-time perspective, but also because it eventually drives my Rebirth-O-Clock time later into the evening (and into the next day) over time as well...

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Unity can compile for Mac OS. I think I can get the compiler to run on travis-ci.com so that somethingggg would just need to upload the source code and download the build.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Would be pretty swell to have a macOS build, yeah.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Cobalt60 posted:

RE NGU: I cannot recall if I asked already, but is a MacOS version on the roadmap? I feel like I'm somehow losing MORE time per day lately by running the game in Chrome, which is frustrating from the lost-time perspective, but also because it eventually drives my Rebirth-O-Clock time later into the evening (and into the next day) over time as well...

I can confirm this. I put a timer next to the game window and now I'm sad. 4g doesnt love us

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Idle quests just give a percentage of active quest QP, so any change to active quest rewards is gonna affect idle quests too.

Why make the distinction about it affecting «active quests» then and not just state it affects «quests»?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Early on in NGU my Attack and Defense were pretty even, but over time my Attack has started going up way, way faster than my Defense. How do I fix this?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Early on in NGU my Attack and Defense were pretty even, but over time my Attack has started going up way, way faster than my Defense. How do I fix this?

For me as far as I can tell, the difference is in my Equipment Modifier (more power than toughness). You can see it in inventory/ stat break down / "Attack/Defense".

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

How does poop work? Does it need to be checked when I start the seeds, or does it need to be checked when it’s harvested?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Oodles posted:

How does poop work? Does it need to be checked when I start the seeds, or does it need to be checked when it’s harvested?

Harvest.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Idle Incremental Clickers R3:

Oodles posted:

How does poop work?

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Pope Guilty posted:

You don’t need to fix this.

Also A/D quickly become your least important stat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oodles posted:

How does poop work?

How have you not learned this by now, never touch the poop! (okay you kind of want to in NGU but please wash your hands)

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

omg :mad:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
after some chatting in my 2nd game's discord, it was suggested to make a view of your production as a theoretical gain/loss for each material over time, so you can set up sustaining setups:

In theory, if every value is blue, or at least 0, this tells you if this will run out of anything, long term. Every time you add/remove/change a building, or beacon, or any research upgrade, this would update within a second o new values. Right now it's showing per second, but i could hook it up to per minute/hour/etc timeframes just as easily. Would you find such a view helpful in managing the recipe chains?

to run down how i think it'll help: say this is your think juice 2 setup:

This view is telling you "you're losing iron over time if everything is running, but gaining in staples/copper bars/cogs/chips/tj". So if you add a single iron bar maker...

now iron is at a net gain, but iron ore is depleting. Adding an iron ore...

And now everything is sustainable again.

something fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 25, 2020

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

something posted:

after some chatting in my 2nd game's discord, it was suggested to make a view of your production as a theoretical gain/loss for each material over time, so you can set up sustaining setups:

In theory, if every value is blue, or at least 0, this tells you if this will run out of anything, long term. Every time you add/remove/change a building, or beacon, or any research upgrade, this would update within a second o new values. Right now it's showing per second, but i could hook it up to per minute/hour/etc timeframes just as easily. Would you find such a view helpful in managing the recipe chains?

YES

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Hooray!

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Skynet Simulator

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

More of a text adventure but really good, thanks for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

oh my this is neat