Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Great link.

When you're too poor to know what fancy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That oven can't believe it either.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

They liked the padded room so much they brought it home with them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is what happens when you get David lynch to try internal decorating.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
How was this not the first image posted from that?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know you're posting that for the toilet but I'm over here :psyduck:ing at what appears to be an oven built into a bay window

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure we've seen all some of those in this thread before, the toilet cubby in the kitchen counter and the piano over the sink are both thread classics.

e. OK there's a few new ones in there

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EasilyConfused posted:

How was this not the first image posted from that?

For a second I was thinking "what's wrong with that, seems like a great way to gain more countertop space in a small bathroom?"

Then I remembered it was from an kitchen dump.

Now as I'm typing this, I giggled at "kitchen dump".

Seriously though, that kind of a countertop setup seems like it could be a great idea in a RV bathroom. I'm pretty sure the smaller popup tent style RVs do something like that with their porta-shitter cabinet, but I mean in a big one where the bathroom is an actual room.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Every one of those kitchens is literally the worst one and yet somehow still nicer than mine.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I always assumed that most if not all animals had a "don't poo poo where you eat" instinct but I guess humans are too smart for that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HardDiskD posted:

I always assumed that most if not all animals had a "don't poo poo where you eat" instinct but I guess humans are too smart for that.

Humans loving love cholera. Can't get enough of dysentery. We're all about the poop diseases.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This actually looks like a laundry room with a dog wash area (that's a thing in big rich people houses now). The shower curtain is questionable though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would a rich person want a dog wash area?

Isn’t that why they have servants?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Why would a rich person want a dog wash area?

Isn’t that why they have servants?

You don't want your dog washed outside with the cold hose. You don't want the dog washed in your own bathtub. So Fifi needs her own bathtub.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know you're posting that for the toilet but I'm over here :psyduck:ing at what appears to be an oven built into a bay window
Someone in their half finished kitchen with an oven and a toilet, looking from the window to the countertop cutout and back and knowing whatever decision they make will be wrong

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

What were they gonna do, put the toilet there?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

What were they gonna do, put the toilet there?

Modern garderobe with a better view? :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lord Awkward posted:

I was reading an historical novel and only on the second occurrence did I realize when someone had a secret room it meant the bog.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

More than one castle fell after some traitor let down rope through the shitter which men used to sneak in at night and open the gates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You might say that they were up poo poo creek with a rope.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Honestly I was surprised to see that it also meant private room/ storeroom, I'd only known it as a medieval latrine. And that it came from the French for wardrobe, which explains all the furniture pics in my search results.

content: crappily constructed stock photo

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lord Awkward posted:

Not much of a better one since your back's to the wall anyway.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was reading an historical novel and only on the second occurrence did I realize when someone had a secret room it meant the bog.

Secret -> private -> privy, like "privy council" meaning private inner circle, but also "privy" like a toilet.

Lord Awkward posted:

And that it came from the French for wardrobe

The thing I heard for this being that people would hang their clothes (robes) in there so the smell would protect (ward) them from moths, but I've not seen that confirmed anywhere reputable. Seems like any closed box would achieve something similar in protecting them from light and such.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

The thing I heard for this being that people would hang their clothes (robes) in there so the smell would protect (ward) them from moths, but I've not seen that confirmed anywhere reputable. Seems like any closed box would achieve something similar in protecting them from light and such.

Yeah, wikipedia claimed it was believed ammonia would keep moths out of the clothes but the only source linked is a BBC article 9 years ago so idk.

That article did have a couple choice bits of historical crappy construction from the London Assize of Nuisance, 1301-1431:

BBC News Magazine posted:

Alice Wade...had a toilet in its own small room.

But 700 years ago, a toilet was a hole cut in a wooden platform over a cesspool. The smells that emanated were most foul.

So she rigged up a wooden pipe that connected her toilet to a rainwater gutter that flushed a nearby public latrine.

The solids from her toilet blocked the gutter, and her neighbours were "greatly inconvenienced by the stench". The city authorities ordered that she remove the pipe within 40 days.

quote:

John le Yonge complains that Henry le Yonge and John Conyng have a solar [toilet room] above his cellar in the parish of St Mary de Abbechirche, and the pipe of their latrine is in the same cellar and overflows into it.

The mayor and aldermen, having viewed the premises, find the nuisance to be as alleged. It is adjudged that within 40 days they remove the nuisance.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaded Burnout posted:

What smell? All the poo poo is at the bottom of whatever chasm the shitter is suspended over.

What I heard was you put clothes in a garderobe to keep them fresh, since you're basically hanging them outside under cover.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What smell? All the poo poo is at the bottom of whatever chasm the shitter is suspended over.

Well quite. Though I guess if you let it build up enough..

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I remember this from a school trip many, many years ago

The garderobe was like an ensuite bathroom. It was a small room with a box you shat in.
Because of the smell of this box of poo poo, it was thought it would keep moths away from clothes, so the gentry would keep their expensive clothes and furs in this room.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One important factor in designing a shitter is making sure the wind blows away from the hole more often than not.

Also no-one shat in a box so gently caress your school trip.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One important factor in designing a shitter is making sure the wind blows away from the hole more often than not.

Also no-one shat in a box so gently caress your school trip.

Are you suggesting that they shat on the floor and then magicked it away? Because the history of Hogwarts isn't historically accurate.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
guard/ward have the same etymological root (guardian, warden); robe means clothes. the word just means "clothes keeper."

when people called those things garderobes, it was just a euphemism, like water closet or commode or public bathroom (bc people generally aren't bathing in there, in the same way that they aren't making GBS threads in their closets).

there's a similarly spurious story about every word in English, and it makes me needlessly crabby.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

in the same way that they aren't making GBS threads in their closets

Speak for yourself.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you think about it, those Pevensie kids basically spent years making GBS threads in their wardrobe, and they were also royalty the whole time!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just want to add that "garderobe" is literally the Norwegian for "wardrobe" (and "locker room") - it took a few sentences to remember that it's not what you use in English.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's a similarly spurious story about every word in English, and it makes me needlessly crabby.

Crappy Construction Tales: The Lyin', The Kitsch, and the Garderobe

edit: niiiice

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Bloop posted:

poo poo, I thought this was the interior design thread for a second and was going to lose my drat mind if this didn’t become the thread title.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Bloop posted:

Mods: do the needful please, tia

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

poo poo, I thought this was the interior design thread for a second and was going to lose my drat mind if this didn’t become the thread title.

they do all sort of run together

PYF: they do all sort of run together

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Especially if you're making GBS threads into a moat.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Computer viking posted:

I just want to add that "garderobe" is literally the Norwegian for "wardrobe" (and "locker room") - it took a few sentences to remember that it's not what you use in English.

There was a sound shift, gard/ward used to be the same

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Especially if you're making GBS threads into a moat.

Please don't.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

edit: niiiice

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

there are exposed beams, and then there are obstacles

surely no one will ever get up in the middle of the night and groggily stumble into this