Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Skyarb posted:

I mentioned blade and sorcery and boneworks and both of those flailing melee absolutely still works. Am I missing something? Is there some other game that does it yet again better?

Gnoman posted:

"Flailing" doesn't work in Blade and Sorcery except on the weakest enemies (dagger with no shield). Even then, it doesn't work very well - most of your connections will do little to no actual damage, and you can only get away with it because they have no defense and little ability to hurt you. Against something with a decent weapon or shield, you very much need to use measured strikes and actual planned strategy to do anything at all.

There's still some inevitable jank - two handed weapons are a bit awkward because your hands aren't actually connected, for example. There's areas that need work - one should not be able to thrust a rapier through the boss of a shield and take it away from somebody. It still is a fairly solid melee experience, and shows that the concept can be done well in VR.

And from my experience, flailing doesn't work very well in Boneworks either, the enemies seem to receive much less damage. Enough difference at least to tug the player towards doing real strikes, at least that was my case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone played multiplayer Tabletop Simulator in VR together with someone who's using the non-VR version? We just couldn't see each other's servers which wasn't ever an issue when we both were using flatscreen version.

Worked for me both ways.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Are people upset that the PVC pipe doesnt kill things that can shrug off buckshot lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol, gently caress me, so I was in a part with a lot of tripmines that I was in the process of disarming them. One trip mine I had to bend down over for but my Oculus Link Cable was dropping down in front of me.

I moved the cable because I was afraid it was going to fall into the tripmine's laser and blow up. gently caress I love VR.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I dunno if this will help anybody other than my dumb rear end, but I somehow had both the SteamVR headset display and the Alyx spectator mode outputting to my monitor at the same time which was slowing down the game. Anyway, I installed the updated drivers and closed the Logitech updated which was chewing up 30% of my CPU for some reason and the game runs much better. Not great, but definitely acceptable for a rig that is barely above minimum spec.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The more I play Alyx with the Link Cable the more I hate tethered VR. Always having to deal with the cable, feeling it on your back and doing the cable dance when you've spun things around and coiled it after 10 minutes or so takes you right the gently caress out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got a video of me shooting under a partially closed shutter, frame rate is poo poo in the video but when actually playing it was running smooth. Never recorded VR before, don't know why its so choppy :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJwfXkNsXM

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TACD posted:

I dunno if this will help anybody other than my dumb rear end, but I somehow had both the SteamVR headset display and the Alyx spectator mode outputting to my monitor at the same time which was slowing down the game. Anyway, I installed the updated drivers and closed the Logitech updated which was chewing up 30% of my CPU for some reason and the game runs much better. Not great, but definitely acceptable for a rig that is barely above minimum spec.

Another general “watch out for” fix I often have to engage, but may help someone because google’s services are ubiquitous: at least in my computer, the google drive sync service murders game performance, and it always runs at the worst time. Killing that takes like two years off the age of my computer.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it does feel like this was done by the B team, or at least a very different team from HL2

just a minor complaint but it sorta represents my disappointments with the game:
instead of having actual fun combine posters with writing on, the posters are torn away and just say gibberish like HUMAN SCIENCE. i know it was just some vfx artist pumping out something that looked like a propaganda poster rather than actually making a propaganda poster written by a writer.
the care in the assets shown in HL2 and L4D2 as storytelling devices isnt really anywhere in this game.

its very AAA

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

it does feel like this was done by the B team, or at least a very different team from HL2

HL2 was made 16 years ago. Considering the rate of churn in the industry most of the people who worked on it probably don't even work in games any more.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/89ssot/psa_steam_now_auto_applies_supersampling_based_on/

I don't know if they've changed where change the options but they guess what's a good supersampling value based on your system/maybe performance and it's usually a terrible guess

Hello I am a big loving idiot. Please make fun of me for the next question: This seems oculus based but I have an index, should I still do this y/n

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol that's pretty great.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Any good multiplayer games that cross play between VR and flat?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

VR chat :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Panoptic
Nemesis Realms
PAYDAY 2
Distance
Elite Dangerous
Eye in the Sky
Redout
Serious Sam Fusion (All the Serious Sam VR games except Last Hope, I haven't actually tested the MP in those but they should work)

Some of those are local multiplayer only but all of those work perfectly fine via Steam Remote Play Together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

Payday 2.

Leal posted:

VR chat :v:

Psssh, we mock the desktop-stricken peasants :wotwot:. (Not in earnest, but a little ribbing)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

NRVNQSR posted:

HL2 was made 16 years ago. Considering the rate of churn in the industry most of the people who worked on it probably don't even work in games any more.

yeah i just dont really feel any valve-ness from the game so far

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah i just dont really feel any valve-ness from the game so far

Or maybe it is you who has lost the valve-ness in your life :raise:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Iirc half the people who made the original game and over half of those who worked on HL2 worked on Alyx.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Panoptic
Nemesis Realms
PAYDAY 2
Distance
Elite Dangerous
Eye in the Sky
Redout
Serious Sam Fusion (All the Serious Sam VR games except Last Hope, I haven't actually tested the MP in those but they should work)

Some of those are local multiplayer only but all of those work perfectly fine via Steam Remote Play Together.

Rec room is VR/PC/PSVR/Mobile

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Asema posted:

Hello I am a big loving idiot. Please make fun of me for the next question: This seems oculus based but I have an index, should I still do this y/n

While this is potentially a bigger problem for Oculus users, it is still good for Index users to disable the automatic supersampling setting. Especially if you want to play at a higher framerate like 120 or 144. Just set the supersampling to 100%

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912920/SMUSHTV__Competitive_VR_x_PC_Action/

Fun as poo poo. Works with remote play. Twitch integration stuff coming soon.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Rec room is VR/PC/PSVR/Mobile

Acrons is VR/Mobile, and I think it can be played over the internet, not just local

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Asema posted:

This is informing Oculus people who may not be aware of it. SteamVR does this on its own, so it applies if you're using it for any reason, so yeah this absolutely applies if you have an index. I checked mine and it's in the general area the link said it was, though it looks a little different. If you want to mess with the performance I encourage tweaking it, because it'll have a big impact on the performance as well as the clarity, so you should tinker and find a spot where you're happy with it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

This is informing Oculus people who may not be aware of it. SteamVR does this on its own, so it applies if you're using it for any reason, so yeah this absolutely applies if you have an index. I checked mine and it's in the general area the link said it was, though it looks a little different. If you want to mess with the performance I encourage tweaking it, because it'll have a big impact on the performance as well as the clarity, so you should tinker and find a spot where you're happy with it

i didn't wait for an answer under the assumption that if i was wrong I could just set it back and yeah it really does lmao

thanks friends

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

StabMasterArson posted:

Are people upset that the PVC pipe doesnt kill things that can shrug off buckshot lol

Are you under the impression that metal pipes are made from PVC?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Only 2 inventory slots? gently caress that!

https://i.imgur.com/xuOuPTA.mp4

Bucket O'Nades!

Bucket O'Nades!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Bucket O'Nades!

Bucket O'Nades!

Genius! I wasn't happy just holding 4 grenades. Time to be the Rip Taylor of death.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Half Life Alyx Patch Notes:

Improved turning options in Preferences:
- Added "Continuous Turn", and associated turning speed options.
- Renamed "Quick turn" to "Snap Turn" to make its functionality clearer.
- Added option to disable controller turning.
Improved hand-over-mouth pose usability for Windows MR controllers.
Improved the resolution of impact decals on enemies.
Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
Fixed an issue where some sounds didn't play as intended.
Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
Fixed several crashes.

I hope they add in melee at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What is the hand-over-mouth pose for anyway?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly don't know. I have noticed that when I reach up to scratch my nose the hand snaps to a position across where my mouth would be in game.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Neddy Seagoon posted:

you don't wanna breathe in all those xen fumes do you?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can put on a gas mask so it snaps there just like it snaps to the head for the helmet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I love that they included the little finger smudge/erase thing folks do for minor whiteboard mistakes.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I'm deeply upset. Just started an RMA with Valve because on day 2 of playing Alyx, 6 hours in, my right lens in the Index is streaking color vertically all across it. Can't see poo poo out of my right eye in the game now, essentially. I'm so sad. Now I can't play until... Whenever they send a replacement headset, and I have to dodge spoilers on the internet. This has been my most hyped game in God knows how long, and I've been loving it 100% and this really took the wind out of my sails. I guess I'll try to finish Doom or some poo poo in the meantime. Bleh.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Bucket O'Nades!

Bucket O'Nades!

I did this was and disappointed that you can't fill the bucket all the way, after it gets about half full grenades just start disappearing.

Also, at one point I stood there filling a bucket for a couple minutes, and then I looked away, looked back and my whole bucket was gone. Not a trace of my bucket or grenades.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Tip posted:

I did this was and disappointed that you can't fill the bucket all the way, after it gets about half full grenades just start disappearing.

Also, at one point I stood there filling a bucket for a couple minutes, and then I looked away, looked back and my whole bucket was gone. Not a trace of my bucket or grenades.

This happened to me too, except instead of grenades disappearing I lost a healing grub and also the gnome

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Turin Turambar posted:

And from my experience, flailing doesn't work very well in Boneworks either, the enemies seem to receive much less damage. Enough difference at least to tug the player towards doing real strikes, at least that was my case!

Yeah I found it really east to cheese the entire game with a trash can shield and literally any melee weapon. Just walk up to them and waggle away. Now I didn't play that way the whole time but whenever i was frustrated I just picked up a piece of cover and walked forward till within waggling distance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

pre:
Quest Build 15.0 Release Notes
Update

All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of March 23, 2020.

Guardian
    Guardian setup has been updated with new animated instructional clips to help you create safer playspaces.

Oculus Link

Test your connection
        You can now test your connection during Oculus Link setup. During setup, clicking Test Cable will tell you:
            Whether or not your connection is compatible
            The available bandwidth
            The connection type

You can access your Link setup at any time by selecting Quest and Touch from the Devices menu when your headset is hooked up to your PC.

Please note: This feature requires both your Quest headset and your PC software to be on software version 15 to work properly.

Fixes

Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the experience to become stuck in a black screen on launch where audio and tracking is still functional.
        Link now detects your headphones and Mic separately. This means that if you run into any issues, you'll see more specific error messaging to help solve it.
        Fixed an issue that impacted volume controls when certain connected devices were disabled.
        Additional fixes and updates for stability and reliability. 

Social

You can now remotely join a Party through party invitation notifications on the Oculus mobile app. Once you put on your headset, you’ll be able to confirm that you wish to join the party and immediately begin socializing in VR.
    You’ll now be notified if you are joining a party which includes a user who you’ve blocked or who has blocked you.
        If a user you’ve blocked is added to your party, they will automatically be muted for you by default.
    Some pop-up dialog messages have been brought slightly closer to the user to improve design consistency.
    Chats have received updated icons and labeling to improve consistency and clarity.

System Software

In-VR notifications now have an updated look and are no longer head-locked.
    A speech-to-text option has been added to the in-VR keyboard, allowing you to enter text via voice instead of typing. Please note that this feature is only available to a percentage of users at this time.

Experimental Features

Passthrough Shortcut - You can now enter Passthrough to see your real world surroundings at any time. Once you’ve enabled the feature, double tap the side of your headset
 to enter Passthrough. When you're finished, double tap again to return to VR.

Redesigned Universal Menu - We've redesigned the universal menu to be more efficient and effective when navigating in VR. Highlights include:
        Allowing you to access your universal menu without leaving the app you’re using, if the developer of the app has enabled this option
        Surfacing your most used apps and experiences first
        Putting system apps like Explore, Store, Browser, and TV in one central location
        Adding "Quick Actions" to your settings panel for easy access to key system settings like volume and brightness

Multiple Window Support for Oculus Browser - Multitask to get more done and stay connected. Watch a video to crib gameplay tips in one window, check out your friends’ latest 
Facebook updates in another, and catch up on the day’s news in a third. You can open, close, and rearrange windows from a new control box above the window. Support for multiple 
windows will first come to Oculus Browser, with support for more 2D apps like Chats and Store coming later.

Additional Bug Fixes

Fixed an intermittent bug that prevented all items from displaying in Storage Manager when more than 40 items were present
    Fixed a Chats bug that would sometimes cause the ‘Start Chat’ button to move locations
    Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want on demand passthrough so bad