Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
buddy, i lived through shilo, i can handle the log school. thought i must admit, the infantry school rejects and drop outs were hard to suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That reminds me of some rear end in a top hat I had to sit through a meal with once. He was all 'i would have been infantry for nebulous reasons I'm an air force loggy'. Didn't even have the chance to wash out of CTC. Talked a lot about how good he was at high school sports then ordered some really hot wings to show how tough he was.

Little bitch got about half a wing in before crying. Waitress offered him another flavor but he wasn't having it. Ended up having them washed them twice before wrapping 'for later'. Started catcalling some random women on the drive back to shacks too. The dumb gently caress.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Attire Irony posted:

All flying in Moose Jaw suspended until 6 April

Sounds to me like a pilot tested positive! (This is based on no facts)

Almost all flying training is suspended, except for some critically unhealthy communities (two or three).

Guest2553 posted:

That reminds me of some rear end in a top hat I had to sit through a meal with once. He was all 'i would have been infantry for nebulous reasons I'm an air force loggy'. Didn't even have the chance to wash out of CTC. Talked a lot about how good he was at high school sports then ordered some really hot wings to show how tough he was.

Little bitch got about half a wing in before crying. Waitress offered him another flavor but he wasn't having it. Ended up having them washed them twice before wrapping 'for later'. Started catcalling some random women on the drive back to shacks too. The dumb gently caress.

Joke - what's the most expensive trade to train? Air force LogO: failed pilot training, failed ACSO training, now a LogO.

Another joke that's a little dated: Why can't you trust an ACSO that doesn't wear glasses? Because you don't know what's wrong with the son of a bitch.

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 25, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

compressioncut posted:

a little dated: Why can't you trust an ACSO

doncha mean Nav? :clint:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I absolutely do.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
https://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/coronavirus-exposure-stalls-deployment-of-royal-canadian-navy-task-group/

:shepface:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I'm sure that had nothing to do with the article on CBC yesterday:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid19-military-training-1.5507432

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

That's weird, my course was cancelled last week

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm sure that had nothing to do with the article on CBC yesterday:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid19-military-training-1.5507432

Almost as strange as Op Honour kicking off after that Macleans expose.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Looks like there’s a personnel crisis. No signing bonuses and no incentive to re-up though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

stay frosty, jfc

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I've stated it before but I really think that offering semi-skilled people signing bonuses, or financial incentives for people to rejoin, while at the same time offering absolutely nothing to people resigning contracts...disregards the commitment of people already integrated with the organisation and already doing the jobs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stevobob posted:

I've stated it before but I really think that offering semi-skilled people signing bonuses, or financial incentives for people to rejoin, while at the same time offering absolutely nothing to people resigning contracts...disregards the commitment of people already integrated with the organisation and already doing the jobs.

Has the CAF ever had a good retention program? What did they do in the Decade of Darkness?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

Has the CAF ever had a good retention program? What did they do in the Decade of Darkness?

They froze promotions (and thus pay) in a lot of trades for 4 or 5 years, so the answer to your initial question is "no."

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It was explained to me as the prime reason many idiot senior officer/ncos of a certain age exist, because you'd have to be a massive gently caress-up to not have better options at the time.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Guest2553 posted:

It was explained to me as the prime reason many idiot senior officer/ncos of a certain age exist, because you'd have to be a massive gently caress-up to not have better options at the time.

Anyone who could properly thrive civvie side voluntarily left, and if you couldn't function civvie side, you probably aren't that great in the forces either

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

NATO Assessment of the Soviet Army posted:

The biggest problem, however, was an abysmally low retention rate among soldiers. Only the lowest categories of the conscript pool, often miscreants who were aware they would never be successful in civilian society, remained for another tour of duty and became non-commissioned officers (NCOs).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

stevobob posted:

Anyone who could properly thrive civvie side voluntarily left, and if you couldn't function civvie side, you probably aren't that great in the forces either

Not to mention otherwise functional people who didn't know better were 'professionally developed' by those same miscreants.

I vaguely remember learning that the Soviets didn't develop a professional NCO corps until after the Great Patriotic War. Might've actually been in the Cold War thread.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
If anyone's thinking about joining, I'm literally leaving during a recession.

I might have to come crawling back, but I'll take my chances for now and I doubt they'll say no to anyone qualified at this point.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2020

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

When I was getting back in, the recruiter had said after attrition, we only had 2 more soldier last year than the year before.

I'm sure we're already not saying. I mean, I got back in pretty quick.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anyone getting sequestered into Borden?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

it's funny that they're doing this a week after they sent everyone on PAT home, presumably at great expense

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It's not just PAT that got sent home, buddy was on course in Borden and had to catch a C-130 home. I don't know why the hell they'd be sending people back to Borden when they just got done sending everyone home.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What are they doing with people who don't have anywhere to go? Like, when I was at CFSATE I was homeless if they kicked us all out of barracks.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was technically homeless for a week or two between courses as a BTL. Blended in with students when I could to couch surf in common areas and eat at the mess every day or two. Some instructor found out and let me crash in his unfurnished apartment for a night, and gave me a ride to a train station so I didn't have to hitchhike.

It was kinda neat in retrospect.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Guest2553 posted:

Some instructor found out and let me crash in his unfurnished apartment for a night, and gave me a ride to a train station so I didn't have to hitchhike.

THOSE are the leadership lessons privates never forget.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What are they doing with people who don't have anywhere to go? Like, when I was at CFSATE I was homeless if they kicked us all out of barracks.

hope u like the shacks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This week was even more of a shitshow that last. Guys were sent home in some places while others were sequestered and reservists were called up or sent home seemingly at random.

I’m starting to understand why Canada sat out the opening campaigns of both world wars. Imagine the Mons campaign or The Battle of France/North Africa if this is how long it takes things to spin up.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

If it were a Phoenix issue, CBC could fix your problem in three days!

gently caress Phoenix, seriously. I'm still waiting for my last paycheque from a contract I finished over two years ago.

Christ, I remember the bullshit that happened back around 2004 with the reserve pay system changes. There were people that had six months of back pay due, and I thought that was bad...

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Fearless posted:

Christ, I remember the bullshit that happened back around 2004 with the reserve pay system changes. There were people that had six months of back pay due, and I thought that was bad...
I guess I should update that. I finally got paid this during the pandemic. It only took 2 years, 8 months, and 20 days. :shobon:

That concludes the three phoenix pay issues that I've had, and frankly I count myself lucky. I haven't gotten an update from the folks who just stopped getting paid. Last I heard they were taking out "advances" each month.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Good job Navy

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So the captain of the RHIB gets relieved for running aground right? Has to be some NCM they can sack for that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyone want to re-up?

I don’t see anything that would incentivize me here, it doesn’t mention signing bonuses or anything.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
If one of the "innovative recruiting solutions" is telling DMedPol to ignore their stupid kidney stone policy, I'd submit a new application.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

They were looking to fast track people who exited within 5 years and want to go back into their old trade

I retired as a clerk and I would rather hit my dick with a hammer than go back into logistics.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

They were looking to fast track people who exited within 5 years and want to go back into their old trade

I retired as a clerk and I would rather hit my dick with a hammer than go back into logistics.

I could have sworn you were 1RCHA.

I don’t know what they’d have to promise me to get back on the gunline. Plus, new dumbasses turn 18 every day and they have better ears and knees so I don’t know why it’s a good deal for them to resign old hands either.

Unless not enough people are sticking around long enough to get PLQ in which case lol they have bigger problems.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone want to re-up?

I don’t see anything that would incentivize me here, it doesn’t mention signing bonuses or anything.

Naw. I'm currently working in the COVID response anyways so joining the mob again would simply be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I left as a Cpl; to match my current pay they'd have to promote me to WO, which would be a dreadful idea for reasons entirely unrelated to me not having any of those courses.

It's also nuts seeing guys from my threes in the GAL as SNCMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I could have sworn you were 1RCHA.

That was me. He was in a reserve unit.