Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm from here, but I have to use those services for travel for business. Right now the common wisdom is that's all over - the reality is, not remotely. A lot of those essential businesses, even if we just go by that list, require domestic flights and things if the entire organization is going to operate. Obviously rental cars are an option too, it's not like there's no other way, but I was specifically curious about ridesharing not from the "why would people use it" perspective, but more from the "isn't that basically a tiny little disease vector at a network level" perspective, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

syntaxrigger posted:

As a transplant to Texas from the swamps of Louisiana, I hope you are right. I am still trying to figure out lots of things about how Texas works.

In a lot of ways Texas is a two party state, except they are both Republican so the two parties are the pro-business Republicans (e.g. former speaker Strauss) vs the tea party/MAGA Republicans (e.g. Dan Patrick).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There are also a lot of small towns that are just trying to run a government and are sick of the tea party dickheads showing up to protest every time they want to put up a streetlight or fill a pothole. There's a non-zero amount of fed-upedness with the tea party drama queens among real small town Texans, I guess is another way of saying it. Even if they are otherwise culturally identical in political beliefs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1242582356499857409

We have 826 in a population of 29.7m so 28 per m? 11k tests given. The major metros are so spread out it might be more instructive to look at it region-by-region.

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 25, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/JudgeClayJ/status/1242637781488275457

I wonder if that dark red in Park Cities has more to do with wealth, or age

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
smu?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Does angel dust make you more susceptible to the roni?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Do a cross-check of how many were on Spring Break together either at Padre or at the ski resorts. Probably a correlation.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

I wonder if that dark red in Park Cities has more to do with wealth, or age

There seems to be a huge correlation between wealth and being able to have gotten a test early, which is something to consider.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1242451848990281728

lmao

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"...and I love grandparents. I do. I really do."

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DSHS made basically that Johns Hopkins website but for Texas

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hey, turns out being a bunch of backwoods, racist sister-fuckers pays off in a pandemic:

Until your sister gets it, I guess.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Hey, turns out being a bunch of backwoods, racist sister-fuckers pays off in a pandemic:

Until your sister gets it, I guess.

*extremely offensive social distancing joke*

edit didn't last long, orange got a case!!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/aiukliAfrika/status/1242883847165001736

Hell yeah Houston, let's go

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
E: Wrong thread whoops

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Brazoria County, the first capital of the elected Republic of Texas, has now issued a Stay Safe At Home order starting 18:00 Thursday. Will this government tyranny never end? Etc etc.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Now that Harris county is under a "please stay home if you can" order I've been going outside once a day while screaming AM I BEING DETAINED and firing shots into my front lawn the state of Texas.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Here's the clip if you want to see it. Words cannot express my hatred for this motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1242245135129346050

Look I know this is from a few pages back, but how do some white American men look aggressively and instantenously recognizably American? These are types of mugs I've never seen in Europe, especially that dork on the right. These guys both look like what really dumb people imagine well-informed intellectuals must look like (I don't know either of them, just vaguely recognize the one of the left as having said a couple of lovely racist things).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

call center manager posted:

Look I know this is from a few pages back, but how do some white American men look aggressively and instantenously recognizably American? These are types of mugs I've never seen in Europe, especially that dork on the right. These guys both look like what really dumb people imagine well-informed intellectuals must look like (I don't know either of them, just vaguely recognize the one of the left as having said a couple of lovely racist things).

patrick could easily be in the FDP based on that pic

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/katehascats/status/1242960945560858625

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLWK3IlzHT4

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

This is the dumbest place in the world.

Not just Texas, anywhere this is happening.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Without googling, is Collin County where Plano is? That just sounds like a very Plano-area thing to do.

I should know this anyway, but everything north of I-10 is another country as far as my ancentral clan is concerned. We aren't sure what language y'all speak, whether you can eat jalapenos in your food or what the Hell. Obvs, still Texas and therefore okay, because anything outside of Texas is a whole nother other country, but gotta keep three rivers between y'all and us, or at least an interstate.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 26, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Got it in one. Plano, Allen (home of stupid huge high school football stadium), mckinney

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ordered to find work, because if you try hard enough jobs will manifest themselves from the ether.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We done prayed on it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Without googling, is Collin County where Plano is? That just sounds like a very Plano-area thing to do.

I should know this anyway, but everything north of I-10 is another country as far as my ancentral clan is concerned. We aren't sure what language y'all speak, whether you can eat jalapenos in your food or what the Hell. Obvs, still Texas and therefore okay, because anything outside of Texas is a whole nother other country, but gotta keep three rivers between y'all and us, or at least an interstate.

Yeah it's Plano, ReindeerF. :shepface:

Like, uh, who is supposed to patronize these businesses that are essential if they're at home jfc

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look guys, don't be too hard on them. This is the same group of people who thought a kid's lovely do it yourself clock was a bomb but didn't evacuate the building. Their disability needs special treatment.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The STDH is strong in that tweet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1243182131578355712

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

HEB/Whataburger 2020

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

D-Pad posted:

HEB/Whataburger 2020
Mattress Mack is only the candidate who'll wrangle the barrel full of monkeys that is Congress.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LanceHunter posted:

The STDH is strong in that tweet.

I looked up the reddit post, it's more than likely fake. Funny, but fake.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It could be, but I've seen dumber poo poo posted in the business subforum's landlord thread :v:

Also the non-SA landlord forums (at least back in the day, idk about now once the internet at large realized they exist) used to have some cartoon villian level poo poo in them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dan is a really cool dude and writes some nice articles. (Huge MTG junkie and nerd) I like how the entire article is just spoken by people at HEB doing the work and planning. Good lord they're crazy competent in getting ahead of this.

Not gonna lie when they said they were running tabletop simulations I just immediately thought they were running Pandemic over and over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterburger is a Yankee concern now I fear

Jiro posted:

Dan is a really cool dude and writes some nice articles. (Huge MTG junkie and nerd) I like how the entire article is just spoken by people at HEB doing the work and planning. Good lord they're crazy competent in getting ahead of this.

Not gonna lie when they said they were running tabletop simulations I just immediately thought they were running Pandemic over and over.

My folks live down in the Golden Triangle area and don't have a local HEB and their local Krogers has just been a poo poo show. Limits on every kind of product. She started going to this mom-and-pop place that's fully stocked. You hear a lot about big disparities between individual grocery stores even a couple of miles apart, and I wonder what is keeping people from trying to find better options rather than just get in the back of a line around the store at the place they usually go.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 26, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

“China is to blame because the culture where people eat bats and snakes and dogs and things like that, these viruses are transmitted from the animal to the people and that's why China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the Swine Flu and now the coronavirus.”

i want the posters itt to reach deep inside yourselves and tell me whether ted cruz or john cornyn is actually the worst senator

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/26/texas-bans-utility-shut-offs-during-coronavirus-outbreak/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

The order does, however, provide electricity providers with millions of dollars in interest-free loans and reimbursements, paid for by ratepayers, which regulators said was necessary to avert a spate of private utility bankruptcies, which could lead to a major collapse of the competitive retail marketplace that spans most of the state.

:nallears:

ugh i miss being a PEC customer so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lol. Competitive marketplace my rear end. If not shutting people's power off in an emergency will bankrupt your monopoly, maybe you shouldn't be in business.