Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Haven't had much time to toy with the twin fists, but is there any real use for the uppercut other than it just being another button to proc a different boon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
With the default fists I don't think so. The two aspect upgrades change things up a bit. But yea the fists are a very focused playstyle, to a fault.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It hits twice doing 30 base damage each and also has some forward momentum so you could use it to move around a bit. The Talos aspect pulls enemies in and gives a damage bonus for attacking and maybe casting. The Demeter aspect gets a bunch of extra hits each time you land ten attacks.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Every twelve attacks, annoyingly, not ten. So it takes a little more than 2 full combos.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Haven't had much time to toy with the twin fists, but is there any real use for the uppercut other than it just being another button to proc a different boon?

It had a bit more splash in my experience, better for swarms of weaklings. Though that might have been due to the boons I put on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Magus42 posted:

Every twelve attacks, annoyingly, not ten. So it takes a little more than 2 full combos.

I think that cross-punch Daedalus upgrade counts as part of the attack combo too, so technically that's 2 if you don't mind not dashing :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lichtenstein posted:

Not really, no. They have some area but that's it.
The hammer upgrades on the special are good, but even with Demeter fist the playstyle is charge up the special, dump the special. The bulk of fist damage comes from auto-attacks. Zeus attack or support fire at normal rarity will probably outdamage anything else at heroic.

If you want to use Demeter fists, they need to be level 5; a charged special effectively becomes a call with way less charge time. You need a damage boon on the special with Demeter fists, since you're not using that thing for utility.
I think priority boon priority on the special for the Demeter fists is Artemis >>> Poseidon > Athena/Demeter/Aphrodite >>>>>>>>> don't bother with the others.

E: and of course Athena's dash solves so many problems on the fists.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Omobono posted:

The bulk of fist damage comes from auto-attacks.

Especially when the stars align:

(max rank Zagreus for 15% atk.spd/dodge)

My survivability on Hades was garbage (went through all of my cheat deaths) but the damage output was crazy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Punch special is good to finish up enemies faster on early floors, I think you have some i-frames on it too. On Zagreus aspect you're gonna kinda start using it as a proc button later on, but don't sleep on it as a way to kill big dudes faster.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I didn't even know another one of these was due!

quote:

Early Access Patch 043 - March 24, 2020

This patch contains more localized text and improvements following this month's Nighty Night Update. Thank you for playing and for your feedback, and see you again for our next Major Update in June!

Foes & Encounters
📢 'Trial of the Gods': reduced move speed penalty applied by Demeter's attack if you spurn her
📢 Splitter: will not retreat as far onto magma pools; reverted change from last patch that made them less likely to retreat (this had some negative side effects we expect to address in a future update)
• Tiny Vermin: fixes and tuning to some behaviors of this recently-added Temple of Styx mini-boss

Keepsakes & Items
📢 Companion Rib (Skelly): increased health for summoned companion

Level Design & Environments
• Minor fixes and improvements to various chambers

Art & Visual FX
• Updated visual for the Permanent Record object in the Admin Chamber
• Improved look of the defensive aura expiring with the Stygian Blade (Arthur Aspect)
• Other minor fixes and improvements

Music & SFX
• Added sound effects for shades pleading their cases to Lord Hades
• Updated sound effects for recently-updated 'There Is No Escape' and 'Boss Vanquished' messages
• Updated sound for Ice Wine (Demeter x Dionysus)
📢 Updated ambient sound in the Admin Chamber
📢 Updated ambient sound during Remembrance sequences
• Other minor changes and improvements

Voice & Narrative
• Extended Affinity Gauge for Aphrodite (you can give her more gifts)
• Primordial Chaos now sometimes speaks via the Shield of Chaos (Chaos Aspect) after a certain point...
• Added more contextual voice lines for the Permanent Record and Security Log screens
📢 Reduced the requirement for the newer Flashback Sequence (it can occur sooner than before)
• Adjustment some Inspect Points in the newer Flashback Sequence
• Fixed scripting issues with the recently added subplot between Nyx and Dusa
• Fixed some losing-streak events for certain bosses playing too infrequently if you met the requirements
• Fixed Lord Hades judgment voice lines conflicting with his House Contractor purchase voice lines
• Fixed Hypnos consolation event for dying to the effects of Tight Deadline (Pact) not playing
• Other minor fixes and tuning to various events

Miscellaneous
• Added more localized strings for Nighty Night Update content (thank you, Community Translators!)
• Added a Victory Screen Commendation, Legendary Boon Boy, for clears with many Legendary Boons
• Updated requirements for Victory Screen Commendations that were too frequent or infrequent
• Improved presentation for vanquishing the Tiny Vermin in the Temple of Styx
• Improved presentation timing for successive encounters with said Tiny Vermin
• Improvements to scrolling in the Permanent Record screen
• Improved House Contractor purchase presentation for Administrative Privilege and Eldest Sigil
• Added preview icon for the Bloodless Sculpture in the House Contractor screen
• Minor text changes and fixes

Bug Fixes
• Fixed a rare progression blocker on a specific event path with the Fallen Warrior in Elysium
• Fixed rare cases where boss damage limits between phases could be bypassed at the start of fights
📢 Fixed issues interacting with Eurydice after the conclusion of her subplot with Orpheus
📢 Fixed a rare issue where Zagreus and the final boss could die at the same time (there can only be one)
📢 Fixed visual issues where Zagreus could get stuck in the firing animation with the Bow
• Fixed visual issues with Long Knuckle (Daedalus - Fists)
• Fixed UI for Nectar sometimes remaining visible between chambers
• Fixed shades in the final chamber of Elysium sometimes facing the wrong way
• Fixed some trap interactions with the defensive aura created by the Stygian Blade (Arthur Aspect)
• Fixed not being able to scroll to the Fated Persuasion (Mirror) ability in the Well of Charon
• Fixed an Inspect Point that was not appearing after the battle with Megaera
• Other minor fixes

Quote of the Patch
"'True, Zeus shrank from doing a thing to outrage rushing Night.'"
~The Iliad (Homer; R. Fagles translation)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

quote:

Primordial Chaos now sometimes speaks via the Shield of Chaos (Chaos Aspect) after a certain point...

The most intriguing line of the patch notes. Is it just a voice proc when you're running around with the Chaos Aspect?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I just want a patch update where Zag mutters 'Another one bites the dust' after clearing a room. Is that too much to ask?!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Been doing some zero Heat runs trying to coax out the Chaos legendary. No luck so far, and man is it a bummer to deliberately pass on boons and god trials in order to hold onto a Yarn and/or Refreshing Nectar in the hope of getting a Chaos gate. And then not even getting a gate. It is baffling that this thing is so rare; all it is is an extra Death Defiance. There are a ton of other ways to get one of those! Even if this one adds to your total rather than replenishes a lost one, there is no world in which this boon is so good it needs to be this rare.

But, in the meantime I've discovered that Zeus shield is pretty fun. I was neglecting that aspect a lot. I had the Dionysus special on it and that worked really well. Manipulating the shield around a room by throwing and recalling as you move about is a good time. I have a feeling it doesn't perform as well once you crank up the heat, but for these low-stress casual runs it's nice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Does yarn affect getting that? I read it as rank upgrades, which wouldn't apply since there's no lower rank version.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yarn I think helps? It forces things to spawn with a minimum rarity, and certain abilities can't spawn as common, so depending on how it rolls boons the additional rarity might enable more teir2+ stuff.

Anecdotally (and possibly confirmation-biased), it helps me get the teir2 stuff to make synergies work.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I guess it depends on whether Legendary/Duo boons are a Rarity or a Tier. The whole rarity/tier/level thing is actually kind of confusing, particularly for new players, and the game could probably do a better job explaining it. I generally also feel like the Yarn helps to get those, but yeah, like Serephina says, might just be confirmation bias.

edit: I would be disappointed a little if it doesn't, to be honest, cause that means there's even less I can do myself to raise the chance of seeing this dumb boon. The final boon I need! Where is it!!

edit2: Also give me a Chaos fishing spot some time, maybe. I saw that new Poseidon boon that gives a higher chance for fishing spots to spawn exactly once, when it was forced as your first post-patch Poseidon boon, and never again.

edit3: Having now read this...

quote:

Chaos Gates will only begin spawning after 11 completed runs. They cannot appear in shops, in boss rooms, or in the chamber immediately after a boss. Two Chaos Gates will not spawn within 8 chambers of each other. Gates grow less common in each successive area, and are unable to spawn naturally after the sixth chamber of Elysium. However, a Light of Ixion can override the above conditions and cause a Gate to spawn regardless.

...I'm conflicted on whether it's better to use Fated Persuasion re-rolls on a Well in the hope of getting a Light of Ixion, or keep them for the actual gate. I suppose I should be keeping track of these spawn rules in my next runs so I can make wiser calls on this.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 29, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In my anecdotal experience rarity upgrades don't help with Duo or Legendary boons, as those aren't really rarities. But who knows

For the Chaos legendary boon it's only ever been offered to me after taking other chaos boons. Always buy chaos gates and you'll get it eventually, but I always take chaos gates anyway so I've gotten the legendary boon a few times just playing normally (which is probably what you should do instead of grinding)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Defo use the rerolls to force the Chaos Gate to spawn. I've gone entire runs with an egg trinket and no chaos, so push that if you can. Optimally, keep a reroll for the boons themselves, hunt down key-reward rooms, and maybe rejig your mirror upgrades if it can squeeze another reroll? It's good practice anyways playing w/o mirror upgrades, good fun at low heat.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I see that Chaos boon pop up now and then, but it is intentionally very rare. Like others have said, going to every gate available with the egg is the best tactic. Also, if you're specifically hunting for legendary boons, you should also consider turning on and maxing out the alternate mirror upgrade that improves their drop rate. I wouldn't use that at pretty much any other time, but I have found it useful for that purpose.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If it stops being fun to grind for the completionist rare stuff, you could also just stop grinding and do other stuff with your time (like grind for Blood and Ambrosia).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Or if you want to mix up the ways in which you interact with Hell you could play DOOM Eternal

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I've gotten the legendary boon a few times just playing normally (which is probably what you should do instead of grinding)

Ah but see, I've done that for 135 hours. Not to worry, though, I wouldn't be grinding if I wasn't having fun just playing the game anyway, and it's nice to do no-heat runs for a change since normally I'd be doing what Infinite Karma suggested and climbing up with each weapon.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

you should also consider turning on and maxing out the alternate mirror upgrade that improves their drop rate. I wouldn't use that at pretty much any other time, but I have found it useful for that purpose.

I actually turned that on when it came out and never turned it off again. Legendaries and Duos are too fun for me to pass up usually, and if it's true that their appearance isn't actually affected by the Yarn and Eurydice's Nectar then using the mirror upgrade is the only way to raise the odds of seeing them (which were lowered in the Nighty Night update iirc), while the latter two can still be used to offset the lower appearance rate of Epic boons.

Serephina posted:

maybe rejig your mirror upgrades if it can squeeze another reroll? It's good practice anyways playing w/o mirror upgrades, good fun at low heat.

Ooh, this didn't occur to me at all. I wonder how many Chaos curses I can stack if I pour all my darkness into re-rolls. With heat turned off it matters less anyway. I'll try this today.

Anyway, Doom Eternal, yeah... I'm on a ten-year-old i5-750. :stonk:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have been hearing so much mixed poo poo about Eternal, and it's also a single player game so there's zero reason to buy it for full retail compared to coming back to it in a few years when it's cheaper and you have a maxed out rig.

I mean, if I had no impulse control I'd just go around buying early access games, and who would do that?

edit: vvv yes, But nobody's buying the game for that mode. Same with Doom4, which had huge multiplayer thing that had zero relevance to sales. I'm gonna stop contributing to the derail now, there's already a dozen threads about that game.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 30, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DOOM Eternal has multiplayer, it just doesn't have coop. It's a slam dunk in many of the same ways that DOOM16 was

It's got a really cool asymmetric multiplayer mode where 1 player is a fully-kitted Doomguy playing against 2 players as buffed-out Demons + common NPC demons, and if one player demon dies then it will respawn within 20 seconds if the other player demon is still alive.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Glare Seethe posted:

edit2: Also give me a Chaos fishing spot some time, maybe. I saw that new Poseidon boon that gives a higher chance for fishing spots to spawn exactly once, when it was forced as your first post-patch Poseidon boon, and never again.

Yeah that's frustrating. Outside of the forced fish boon, I only ever seem to see it towards the end of a run where I've taken a few other Poseidon boons. And really, what's the point of taking it at the end of Elysium? You seem to be guaranteed one fishing spot in the Styx hub room, and none of the Satyr tunnels have any water anyway. I hope they go back to the drawing board on that boon, because it's just terrible in so many ways.

Also Chaos fishing spots could stand to be a little bit less rare, yeah. I've seen exactly one, and it was on the same run with the forced fish boon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chaos fishing spots are rare because chaos fish give extremely valuable rewards, like diamonds and titan blood

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i cant fish for beans anyway.

if you play on a controlled does it vibrate when a fish bites? the visual catch window is very tight and i have only caught due to dumb luck.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I use a controller and it doesn't vibrate for the cue. It took a while to notice what I was supposed to be looking for, but it's kinda trivial once you see it and I feel it has a generous window.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Molybdenum posted:

i cant fish for beans anyway.

if you play on a controlled does it vibrate when a fish bites? the visual catch window is very tight and i have only caught due to dumb luck.

The game doesn't really explain this, but there are two different visual cues when fishing. If the bob just dips a little, ignore it, or else you'll end the catch prematurely. If the bob goes properly underwater, it's a bite.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You want to look out for the flash of light and listen for the big splash. I've never missed a catch when I actually pay attention to it, only by being overly twitchy on the red-herring bobs.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, looking for the big splash is the thing. I can consistently make a catch now. The trickier part is getting a perfect catch, which requires much faster reflexes than I seem to possess. I can at least get it sometimes now though since I realized that the max number of dips per attempt is four. So if you've got three fake ones then you know the next one is 100% going under.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fishing is incredibly easy on controller because the type of rumble is different when it goes fully under. You can do it with your eyes closed.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Molybdenum posted:

if you play on a controlled does it vibrate when a fish bites?

Yes, mine does.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The trickier part is getting a perfect catch

I had no idea this was a thing

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

BobTheJanitor posted:

I had no idea this was a thing

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I found out about it by accident. They don't do a good job of explaining fishing at all. You definitely want get the perfect catch when possible too, because that's the only way to get a bunch of the rare fish that are way more valuable when traded in.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I found out about it by accident. They don't do a good job of explaining fishing at all. You definitely want get the perfect catch when possible too, because that's the only way to get a bunch of the rare fish that are way more valuable when traded in.

My god, is this why my list of fish has a bunch of blank spots? I just assumed it was an early access not-yet-implemented thing. Turns out I am just bad at games

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

BobTheJanitor posted:

My god, is this why my list of fish has a bunch of blank spots? I just assumed it was an early access not-yet-implemented thing. Turns out I am just bad at games

https://hades.gamepedia.com/Fishing

Spoilers of course.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

BobTheJanitor posted:

You might not be bad, even a perfect catch only has a 5% chance to catch a legendary fish, of which there is one for each biome. Plus there’s the three fish for chaos which has a super low chance to even spawn a fishing spot in the first place; I’ve never seen one. So that’s six fish you might never have seen purely due to RNG

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

You might not be bad, even a perfect catch only has a 5% chance to catch a legendary fish, of which there is one for each biome. Plus there’s the three fish for chaos which has a super low chance to even spawn a fishing spot in the first place; I’ve never seen one. So that’s six fish you might never have seen purely due to RNG

Ah, so a perfect catch isn't something the game notifies you about, just an internal check? Maybe I'm getting them and just not knowing it. I had worked out that there was some rarity system going on under the hood, between the charps and chlams or knuckleheads and hellfish, etc. But I have never seen a single one of those legendary fish either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

BobTheJanitor posted:

Ah, so a perfect catch isn't something the game notifies you about, just an internal check?

As far as I know there's no notification, but then I've never caught a legendary fish either. I do feel like I've been pretty drat quick on some of my catches though, and I've had a decent number of rares, definitely more than the 5% you get on a normal catch. But maybe we're both just bad after all.