Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

How Rude posted:

I don't think you can get a pint of beer or a cocktail to go, unfortunately.

they just relaxed this rule in Kansas, and our liquor laws are draconian as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah I had a friend who worked at one of those places in Houston for a bit. He said that the law just says that you can't have an open container of alcohol in your car, and they provide a drive-thru sealed container of alcohol. Not TECHNICALLY breaking any laws and if you decide to drink it in the car and get caught that's on you.

At one point the one in Houston handed them out with the straw in the cup, but paper left on one end.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alcohol laws should probably be relaxed during this time.

ultimately the largest shortcoming of the Purge series is the idea that it would only last for a single night.

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Mar 20, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Captain Monkey posted:

At one point the one in Houston handed them out with the straw in the cup, but paper left on one end.

Yep. That or a plastic bag rubber banded around the top are my favorite.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

You’d think these companies would at least be donating sales of these items for COVID-19 related charities. I expected to see this sort of stuff but the turnaround time is a little shocking.

I remember a hosed-up shirt site operating circa early 00s that would often do offensive tees based on current events and after the space shuttle Columbia disaster put out “I don’t want to be an astronaut anymore,” which was surprisingly inoffensive given their usual fare.

T-shirt Hell? I hadn't thought of them in years and years.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

How Rude posted:

I don't think you can get a pint of beer or a cocktail to go, unfortunately.

California just announced they are relaxing alcohol laws and allowing this now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of alcohol, Miller Lite's "original social network" ads are still running and they're pretty distasteful right now. I saw this commercial while watching Smackdown. Oof.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I thought the Sam Adams ads about toasting someone special because that's what we need right now were a little iffy, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Booze makers should be attempting to make their product the article of choice for libations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

theyre relaxing alcohol laws so thousands of people who have alcoholism dont go into withdrawal.

'cause the DTs can kill.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so what you're telling me is that we're entering a golden age of drunk driving?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Booze makers should be attempting to make their product the article of choice for libations.
A bunch of craft distilleries are switching over production to hand sanitizer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alcohol laws should probably be relaxed during this time.

Australian police announced they're not doing breath testing. Probably not the best idea.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australian police announced they're not doing breath testing. Probably not the best idea.

*DUI DISASTER*
DRUNK DRIVER HAD CORONA
THREE EMTS INFECTED

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, announcing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

note: they've already shut down after saying this after getting their business license revoked

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Possibly great marketing: I was scrolling through a news story about covid on my phone yesterday and the ad in the middle of the page was just a huge image of a dildo from Wish. Usually I'd make some joke about browsing history, but a) I've never been to Wish, b) I feel like I'd know if I'd been shopping for sex toys recently. But advertising sex stuff during a lockdown is a great idea because you have millions of horny people stuck at home with nothing to do.

(The next ad was also from Wish and it was a plague doctor mask, not sure if that was supposed to be a sex thing or not.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got targeted Wish ads for toilet paper. I've never searched for toilet paper online or anything like that. Maybe memes?

I've also been getting targeted ads from PureFlix, the Christian movie company on my Gmail account. I have no idea why either.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Burger King wins the race for first ad that explicitly mentions quarantine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

quote:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.gamestop.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.7ac1702.1584904624.5e70295

I think the internet is mad at Gamestop now.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

hyperhazard posted:

Possibly great marketing: I was scrolling through a news story about covid on my phone yesterday and the ad in the middle of the page was just a huge image of a dildo from Wish. Usually I'd make some joke about browsing history, but a) I've never been to Wish, b) I feel like I'd know if I'd been shopping for sex toys recently. But advertising sex stuff during a lockdown is a great idea because you have millions of horny people stuck at home with nothing to do.

(The next ad was also from Wish and it was a plague doctor mask, not sure if that was supposed to be a sex thing or not.)

I know it's just hearsay but I believe it - when my friends and I got together right before the meltblown-fabric curtain fell one of them mentioned that sex toys have been selling like hotcakes as a direct result of the anticipated, and now ongoing, isolation

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I received an email from Mechwarrior Online offering me a free Quarantine ‘mech if I come back.

I thought that was pretty tasteless.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think the internet is mad at Gamestop now.

I wanted a physical copy of Animal Crossing, so I called a nearby Gamestop, and the worker there basically admitted they were refusing to close until after Doom/Animal Crossing came out. He was like, "We might even close on Saturday, but we will NOT close Friday."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait to get my hands on some VAG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

flatluigi posted:

note: they've already shut down after saying this after getting their business license revoked

Didn't a goon say that their store manager tried to call them into work and got arrested for it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've also been getting targeted ads from PureFlix, the Christian movie company on my Gmail account. I have no idea why either.

I have been a subscriber of Pureflix for a few months now, and I can tell you this: it is a way to spend 13 dollars a month.

Do you like hundreds of christian horse (sometimes dog) movies that are mostly indistinguishable from each other? Do you like sappy dramas where the main character falls from grace and finds salvation from an unexpected source, such as maybe a dog or a criminal? Do you like the idea of pretty much every movie's big twist being The Rapture? Do you like apocalypse movies where the bad guys look like this?

Well, then pureflix may be for you too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't a goon say that their store manager tried to call them into work and got arrested for it

Someone posted a story about a mall location in Canada staying open as essential, and the store manager getting arrested while the other employees gladly shut the store down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

The places in NYC have been.

There was a bar/restaurant in Grand Central Station where I would always get a double gin and tonic in a to-go cup before a two-hour train ride. One of those and the rocking of the train and I was out like a light.

Outside of NYC, a few bars that have food takeout going on are doing growler fills, even though they never did that before. Gotta bring your own growler, though, since they never had any stocked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Florida is doing the same now as well. Restaurant dine-in finally got closed last week, but restaurants are still selling beer and bottled cocktails for takeout.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've heard of at least one place here in Philadelphia that's doing growler fills of cocktails.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Florida is doing the same now as well. Restaurant dine-in finally got closed last week, but restaurants are still selling beer and bottled cocktails for takeout.

Wow, really? Here they didn't do anything that legally closed everything down but the state was like "hey restaurants and bars, could you do us a solid and close? Thanks, guys. You can still do takeout but close the dining room." A lot of pace just shut down entirely, the ones that do takeout mostly have you call and won't let you walk in to order, and nobody has an open dining room. No arm twisting just "hey guys, we got a plague going on. It'd be great if you could help with that." They went "no problem" and that was that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wow, really? Here they didn't do anything that legally closed everything down but the state was like "hey restaurants and bars, could you do us a solid and close? Thanks, guys. You can still do takeout but close the dining room." A lot of pace just shut down entirely, the ones that do takeout mostly have you call and won't let you walk in to order, and nobody has an open dining room. No arm twisting just "hey guys, we got a plague going on. It'd be great if you could help with that." They went "no problem" and that was that.

It's spring break season which is why florida has been more resistant than most. And yet it's also the reason they should be embracing it more but :capitalism:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm kinda shocked to hear about growler refills because I keep seeing signs at Starbucks and Circle K saying they're not letting people bring their own cups for the time being.

I've never owned a growler before. Do staff at liquor stores sterilize them before filling them?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've never owned a growler before. Do staff at liquor stores sterilize them before filling them?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I suddenly understand Psychonauts on another level.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I looked up all of the local chain restaurants last week to see their status. The fast food places were quick. Chick-fil-A and McDonald's were oddly the most proactive, closing dining rooms nationwide early last week.

The holdouts? Golden Corral and Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel still doesn't have any COVID notices on their website or social media. They've finally had to close dining this week under city proclamation. If we weren't shelter-in-place, I'd go sit in my car in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel and watch old people get pissed off they can't sit in a miasma of disease.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hotels.com has a "Just Stay Home" commercial presumably replacing their other commercials they already paid for.

I think it's a good move. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm kinda shocked to hear about growler refills because I keep seeing signs at Starbucks and Circle K saying they're not letting people bring their own cups for the time being.

I don't know about liquor stores, but the craft beer place I go to has individual plastic tubing to connect the growlers with the beer taps, and they get cleaned between use.