Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your painting is once again fantastic and I'm sad to say I don't really like the tufts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Your painting is once again fantastic and I'm sad to say I don't really like the tufts
Thanks!
And I get it, they are very stark and stand out a lot. The models are super dark from most angles, so the tufts work as a very obvious indicator for my opponent that there's a model here.
It's also hard to see in the pictures, but they are a source for blue OSL so they blend in a bit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have been painting up my Enforcer gang and I'm liking how they are coming along, but I'm starting to think I might want to do some OSL for the shoulder mounted flashlights.

The problem is, I'm not sure how exactly to go about it without it looking bad. I've never been a fan of the over the top OSL that some people do because it doesn't look right to me. I want to do a more subtle, maglight strength yellowish style.

Does anyone have any tips, or examples for how I could pull this off without it looking bad?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
How much ventilation is needed when gluing minis?
Im using the Citadel miniature glue (plastic cement?)

The smell reminds me a lot of the glue i used when i was 10ish and building plastic plane kits. I never sat in a highly ventilated room then and the ventilation topic was never mentioned either.

Are the fumes like super dangerous or do they just make you woozy at worst but nothing permanent?
Im not sniffing it or anything but i do smell the smell when gluing

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

So I have been painting up my Enforcer gang and I'm liking how they are coming along, but I'm starting to think I might want to do some OSL for the shoulder mounted flashlights.

The problem is, I'm not sure how exactly to go about it without it looking bad. I've never been a fan of the over the top OSL that some people do because it doesn't look right to me. I want to do a more subtle, maglight strength yellowish style.

Does anyone have any tips, or examples for how I could pull this off without it looking bad?
Highlight whatever the light will hit, then tint it with slightly thinned ink.
That's pretty much what I do, so do something else if you hate my OSL.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jadebullet posted:

For my necromunda stuff, I paint it up normally, then hit it with white ink from an airbrush at a very, very sharp angle, then yellow ink from the same.

Basically what Electric Hobo is suggesting.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stop posting all these cool things that airbrushes allow you to do.

(don't stop)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ineptitude posted:

How much ventilation is needed when gluing minis?
Im using the Citadel miniature glue (plastic cement?)

The smell reminds me a lot of the glue i used when i was 10ish and building plastic plane kits. I never sat in a highly ventilated room then and the ventilation topic was never mentioned either.

Are the fumes like super dangerous or do they just make you woozy at worst but nothing permanent?
Im not sniffing it or anything but i do smell the smell when gluing

It's the same stuff you built planes with. Assuming you're using a modern applicator and not squeezing it out of a metal toothpaste tube like you probably did as a kid, you should be fine. Also assuming that you're not doing marathon assembly sessions, which I guess in present circumstances you might be.

Inhaling glue fumes basically makes you woozy and can give you a lovely high; the biggest danger/risk is from kids abusing it to sniff glue and get a terrible buzz, similar to huffing paint. If you're actually abusing glue this way you can do yourself serious damage, including killing yourself, so don't do that. Just using it normally you're unlikely to do much at all. Generally I would say if you notice the smell too strongly or feel at all affected, take a break and move to a different space. Ultimately it's best to do this with some sort of fan or ventilation running for your own sake.

Just in case, this doesn't apply to other inhalants like primers and sprays, you definitely need to use those outside/in a ventilated space because they're both more toxic and build up very rapidly compared to your dinky glue drops offgassing.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a skink starpriest!

I quite like how they turned out, the feathers kinda changed from my original plan so they are not quite as smooth as I hoped for but I am still happy with it!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

It's the same stuff you built planes with. Assuming you're using a modern applicator and not squeezing it out of a metal toothpaste tube like you probably did as a kid, you should be fine.

No back then it was a semi-hard plastic container with a long thin syringe, never a metal tube (that sounds really messy)

Ashcans posted:

Also assuming that you're not doing marathon assembly sessions, which I guess in present circumstances you might be.

Im spending ike 95% of the time getting the bits out of the sprues and removing attachment points and mold lines. My entire glue session yesterday was putting a torso, weapon and shoulderpads on a marine.
Im actually a bit surprised at how long this takes, like how do people have the time to make armies with several hundred units. Even the itty bitty small ones like marines take me a full evening* for a single marine. Those big things like mechs and tanks must take weeks. Not to mention the ForgeWorld stuff, must take months?

*By full evening i mean the ~hour i have left of my day after the kids are sleeping and the house is tidy

Ashcans posted:

Inhaling glue fumes basically makes you woozy and can give you a lovely high; the biggest danger/risk is from kids abusing it to sniff glue and get a terrible buzz, similar to huffing paint. If you're actually abusing glue this way you can do yourself serious damage, including killing yourself, so don't do that. Just using it normally you're unlikely to do much at all. Generally I would say if you notice the smell too strongly or feel at all affected, take a break and move to a different space. Ultimately it's best to do this with some sort of fan or ventilation running for your own sake.

Just in case, this doesn't apply to other inhalants like primers and sprays, you definitely need to use those outside/in a ventilated space because they're both more toxic and build up very rapidly compared to your dinky glue drops offgassing.

Good to know. Im definitely not trying to inhale too much, i glue at an arms length and keep the door to my tiny alcove open. The size of my little alcove is why i brought this topic up. Im sitting in a room of about 6x6 feet with no windows and only passive ventilation. When i did this stuff as a kid i was sitting in bigger rooms

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You can also use much less than you think you’ll need usually

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Electric Hobo posted:

Elijah Borgmann joins my Malifaux Crew.

These own and my wife really likes your crew.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also use a house fan to keep the air circulating into the area. It sounds excessive but that room seems tiny.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm going through the soul wars starter set and have a question. This might be really dumb but step 3 of painting a nighthaunt model says 'shade with Nighthaunt Gloom' except the problem is Nighthaunt Gloom is a technical and doesn't seem to be a shade at all?

What am I missing here? I have 2 other shades here and they are doing what I expect...

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

lenoon posted:

You can also use much less than you think you’ll need usually

Yeah i tilt the bottle upside down and use the tiny droplet of glue that comes out due to gravity, swirl it with the syringe around where i need it and put the glue cap back on.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ineptitude posted:

No back then it was a semi-hard plastic container with a long thin syringe, never a metal tube (that sounds really messy)

Lucky you! I started model-making with planes and such, but the glue came in these goofy metal tubes that varied from 'nothing coming out at all' to 'the entire tube is oozing out, nothing you can do to stop it':

So I would frequently end up with way more of this stuff spread all over the place than you wanted. It was pretty similar to the way you still get stuff like JB weld and other mixes that aren't really intended for detail work.

quote:

Im spending ike 95% of the time getting the bits out of the sprues and removing attachment points and mold lines. My entire glue session yesterday was putting a torso, weapon and shoulderpads on a marine.
Im actually a bit surprised at how long this takes, like how do people have the time to make armies with several hundred units. Even the itty bitty small ones like marines take me a full evening* for a single marine. Those big things like mechs and tanks must take weeks. Not to mention the ForgeWorld stuff, must take months?

*By full evening i mean the ~hour i have left of my day after the kids are sleeping and the house is tidy
That's the rub. I am in the same situation and my progress on any projects is pretty glacial, the people that churn out whole armies every month tend to be distributing time differently! Also, people tend to improve and get to streamline their process - it's not 5 times as long to assemble 5 marines as to assemble one, and sometimes when people are building dozens of rank and file they'll cut more corners in prep work. There also seem to be people who are just speed demons and crank through this stuff at an incredible pace.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up a skink starpriest!

I quite like how they turned out, the feathers kinda changed from my original plan so they are not quite as smooth as I hoped for but I am still happy with it!
This guy lools great!

Brock Samsonite posted:

These own and my wife really likes your crew.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i painted this big bloated boy, it hurt my hands to paint him

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished my first tiny angry man.

Not sure how keen I am on the base rim color. I wanted to differentiate the different warbands but I'm not sure if the red distracts too much from the rest.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 24, 2020

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Winklebottom posted:

Finished my first tiny angry man.

Not sure how keen I am on the base rim color. I wanted to differentiate the different warbands but I'm not sure if the red distracts too much from the rest.

I mean, that looks like a very delicious strawberry-rhubarb pie that man is stepping on...

Seriously though, it does seem like the red stuff on top of the base is bleeding down onto the sides, and it does take away from the model itself a bit. I'd say just basic black would work, as most people will expect the base to be that color and thus naturally have their eyes drawn up more towards the model.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Honestly the red looks fine. I prefer black base rims but it’s completely a style thing. The mini looks really nice

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Finished up my gaunt summoner today. This model freaking rules and I'm pretty happy with how he came out.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mikey Purp posted:

Finished up my gaunt summoner today. This model freaking rules and I'm pretty happy with how he came out.

Love all the eyes, and the yellow stands out nicely against the purple/blue.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Aniodia posted:

I mean, that looks like a very delicious strawberry-rhubarb pie that man is stepping on...

Welp, now I can't see it as anything else. I blame the fact that fruit pies are not really a thing here :v:

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Mikey Purp posted:

looks real nice, I like the bismuth chunk on the base; will be stealing that idea later

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

CODChimera posted:

I'm going through the soul wars starter set and have a question. This might be really dumb but step 3 of painting a nighthaunt model says 'shade with Nighthaunt Gloom' except the problem is Nighthaunt Gloom is a technical and doesn't seem to be a shade at all?

What am I missing here? I have 2 other shades here and they are doing what I expect...

Nighthaunt Gloom is a Glaze.
https://youtu.be/4dTLRKLhd9c

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m getting tired of fighting with this lovely Iwata NEO I got. Is anyone seeing deals on Patriot 105s? Or maybe an actual good Iwata?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am in need of a white primer spray can. I was looking at Tamiya brand on Amazon, but they are not able to deliver until April 24. I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for good brands that I can get maybe a bit sooner? Which I realize may just not be possible at all right now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve tried army painter and citadel primer cans and army painter seemed to be better*

*could also be because it was the can i bought second and i was more experienced at applying it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I’ve tried army painter and citadel primer cans and army painter seemed to be better*

*could also be because it was the can i bought second and i was more experienced at applying it

Army Painter Color Primer, Matt White thankfully is available with quick shipping, thank you. :)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

please, my bases, they are very dull

Cat Face Joe posted:

Does anyone know of a paint color that might accurately represent the rocks of the American Southwest?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

if all the rocks in the American southwest are one colour I don't know what it is. Maybe post a picture of the colour of rock that you are thinking of?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Base with VMC US Field Drab. Stipple on random patches of VMC Dark Gray and/or VMC Russian Uniform. Apply a heavy drybrush VMC Green Ochre, followed by a much lighter drybrush of VMC Buff. That will give you that nice "desert yellow-orange" color common to the American Southwest.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I had been working on a Golden Demon entry for the past two and a half months and looks like I got some extra time to finish it, so I put that on pause and did up a Celestial Warbringers test model.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Funzo posted:

I’m getting tired of fighting with this lovely Iwata NEO I got. Is anyone seeing deals on Patriot 105s? Or maybe an actual good Iwata?

Dirty Secret: The NEO isn't actually an Iwata; it's a rebranded Master or some other lovely brand from what I'm told. If you want to stick with Iwata, get an Eclipse; you can usually get them from Hobby Lobby or Michael's if you're in the US and use one of those weekly coupons for 45-50% off. 105's are about ~$80 or so on Amazon right now, but tend to go on sale fairly often (like down to mid $50s sometimes). For what it's worth, I own 3 Badgers, a 105, 105 Extreme, and a Sotar 20/20 and do about 98% of my work with my regular rear end 105. I also generally don't even really clean the thing and just run some windshield washer fluid through it, then pull the needle and wipe it off when I'm done. I once accidentally left it WITH PAINT IN IT for a week while I was on vacation, came home and ran acetone through it and was painting about 5 minutes later.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if you follow the advice of Our Lord And Savior Vince Venturella and have your airbrushing paint be basically coloured water, your brush needs little to no cleaning anyway. pour the excess out, gargle some cleaner in the cup, repeat, done.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

jesus WEP posted:

if you follow the advice of Our Lord And Savior Vince Venturella and have your airbrushing paint be basically coloured water, your brush needs little to no cleaning anyway. pour the excess out, gargle some cleaner in the cup, repeat, done.

I just gargle the paint myself generally.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Butt chug or you're not mixing things right, imo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Speaking of airbrushes, I really need to figure out what the gently caress I did to mine and why it's not working at all. The trigger you use to blow out air / paint doesn't press down all the way, or sometimes at all. I just need to take the whole thing apart, and put it back together again. Need the time to do this first, and then actually test it. So frustrating, I feel that I may have blown $300 (compressor, airbrush, taxes, etc.) with nothing to show for it. I really wanted to have fun with my airbrush but instead its been nothing but a nightmare. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, I really need to figure out what the gently caress I did to mine and why it's not working at all. The trigger you use to blow out air / paint doesn't press down all the way, or sometimes at all. I just need to take the whole thing apart, and put it back together again. Need the time to do this first, and then actually test it. So frustrating, I feel that I may have blown $300 (compressor, airbrush, taxes, etc.) with nothing to show for it. I really wanted to have fun with my airbrush but instead its been nothing but a nightmare. :/

You almost certainly just have some dried paint in the trigger well. It can easily happen. The travel distance vertically for triggers is like 1/8” of an inch. Any amount of dried paint in there can create havoc.

A full pull apart and clean and you’ll be back on your feet. I can highly recommend Hopps number 9. It’s a firearms cleaner (just a good solvent) that also lubricates mechanisms. A bit of that on the needle run up and down the barrel of the airbrush can do wonders.

Also look into a cheap ultrasonic cleaner for the airbrush.