Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm not sure where to go now that I'm mid game. I have plumbed sinks and toilets, a great hall, tons of mealwood growing from my farming tiles.. sounds like the goal of the game is to get to building a rocket?

A good goal for now would be to explore. See what resources and geysers you have around you and then exploit them. Sounds like you’re about ready to start some steel production? That opens a lot of possibilities :) And a lot of heat.

Dezinus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

One of the first things I do is tunnel to space to get rid of garbage gas and liquid.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I learned that the Soda Fountain counts as a Science task for stat development, so I've started putting them in my great/dining hall as a recreation item to bleed off some CO2. Should only use them once you have a water surplus, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Could somebody explain the 10% trick?

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Could somebody explain the 10% trick?

If the pipe is at 10% capacity, it wont break if contents change phase.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Regarding removing carbon dioxide, won't I squish it down to a more compact and dense size by building more oxygen generators above it? Or does the mechanic not work that way?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

Regarding removing carbon dioxide, won't I squish it down to a more compact and dense size by building more oxygen generators above it? Or does the mechanic not work that way?

It does but only to a certain extent you don't want the pressure above 2-3g typically.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
CO2 removal is self-sustainable given a small amount of water and sand, or like was mentioned above a gas pump, filter and long pipe.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

DreadCthulhu posted:

It will but it means all areas above the CO2 need to hold more O2/PO2/etc than it, and you’ll shoot past 2000g of CO2 pretty quickly, with petro generators running like less than a few cycles.

If you’re outputting that’s much O2 your A. Moving it away from the electrolyzers fast enough they aren’t shutting off, which is non trivial in itself at the pressure levels were dicussing B. Popping the eardrums of everyone not in suits, and C. Producing an absolute shitload more oxygen than you need.

Containing it via gravity is not a long term solution (Really not even a medium term solution IMO), either vent to space, closed loop sieve/skimmer deletion or a water-over-vent infinite storage is needed. Or slicksters but they kind of suck and it’s easier to get oil elsewhere and just destroy excess CO2

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 23, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mazz posted:

It will but it means all areas above the CO2 need to hold more O2/PO2/etc than it, and you’ll shoot past 2000g of CO2 pretty quickly, with petro generators running like less than a few cycles.

If you’re outputting that’s much O2 your A. Moving it away from the electrolyzers fast enough they aren’t shutting off, which is non trivial in itself at the pressure levels were dicussing B. Popping the eardrums of everyone not in suits, and C. Producing an absolute shitload more oxygen than you need.

Containing it via gravity is not a long term solution (Really not even a medium term solution IMO), either vent to space, closed loop sieve/skimmer deletion or a water-over-vent infinite storage is needed. Or slicksters but they kind of suck and it’s easier to get oil elsewhere and just destroy excess CO2

Slicksters are free food though; you're not using the CO2 for anything else anyway, and the oil/petroleum is just a free bonus.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
CO2 production from petro gens outpaces Slickster input by one or two magnitudes. Engines running on liquified farts take your breath away really efficiently.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I love the art on on slicksters, and they are free food. Problem is there are quite a few other sources of free food and they produce an utterly irrelevant quantity of oil. I've never come anywhere close to running out food for stone hatches for example.

I build a small compact and efficient critter drowning room and am suddenly worried that the game is warping my perceptions in ways more violent video games never could. I just spent an afternoon drowning critters, genociding all the dreckos on the map.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why would you wipe out dreckos? Mine produce so much plastic I have a decent transport tube network without ever touching a polymer press.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Stairmaster posted:

For what purpose does the oxygen do this?

e: I removed the junction between the inputs and that seemed to fix it.

Forking pipes without a bridge like you have in that screenshot can cause stuttering gas/liquid flow. A long time back a goon posted a good image that finally made bridge behavior click for me after many hours of play, I'll try to boil it down to words:

-Never* fork a pipe into multiple directions without using a bridge to do it (the green end is a fork).

-A bridge's green output port will smoothly rotate packet flow to each of the output pipes it's connected to, without causing hiccups in the supply line (they're coming out at the same rate, just evenly distributed among outputs).

-A bridge can split output up to 4 ways, if you count running a pipe under the bridge's arc and then away

I use bridges liberally now, often at every right angle, because they have other handy properties like making it easier to cut the flow to a pipe segment for maintenance or rerouting (no drips when you destroy a bridge), or tapping into the pipe later without interrupting flow.

*Maybe there are uses for this but I don't know any.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Why would you wipe out dreckos? Mine produce so much plastic I have a decent transport tube network without ever touching a polymer press.

I'm already good on reed fiber, plastic, meat, and egg shells. Phosphorite is the only resource unique to dreckos and you don't really need much if at all. Meanwhile the dreckos consume the most precious of resources - cpu and memory.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is it possible to have a permanently self-sustaining power situation with a natural gas geyser? I pump the gas into a few natural gas generator, I then let those drip polluted water that I can either sieve or use for something else like fertilizer with the energy from those generators. I then use a carbon simmer to offset the carbon dioxide released by the generators.

Also turns out I hit a limit with how much power I can pump into regular wires, so it sounds like I need to upgrade wires to 2kw and figure out this whole power station situation. Seems like I can generate all of the power I need for my base in one single location with half a dozen stations, pipe it around the base with the heavi watt wires and then distribute it locally with the regular wires?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah, just try to keep the heavi-watt somewhere dupes don't walk. It's hell on decor. It's worth using gold for slightly less decor penalty in the places your dupes must stand, for example if you have them tune up your plants with a power station.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it possible to have a permanently self-sustaining power situation with a natural gas geyser? I pump the gas into a few natural gas generator, I then let those drip polluted water that I can either sieve or use for something else like fertilizer with the energy from those generators. I then use a carbon simmer to offset the carbon dioxide released by the generators.

Also turns out I hit a limit with how much power I can pump into regular wires, so it sounds like I need to upgrade wires to 2kw and figure out this whole power station situation. Seems like I can generate all of the power I need for my base in one single location with half a dozen stations, pipe it around the base with the heavi watt wires and then distribute it locally with the regular wires?

Natural gas geysers are helpful, especially in the early-mid game, but they don't give that much power over time. Once you average it out, each of the 2 geysers on my map could just about run one generator full time.

I highly recommend the mod that shows you the geyser's calculated average output per second after taking the dormancy and active periods into account. It helps a lot with planning.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

AKZ posted:

One of the first things I do is tunnel to space to get rid of garbage gas and liquid.

In my current run I embraced the cheese and built a big mechanical door gas crusher right away. Bye bye excess oxygen. I have no regrets.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Han Nehi posted:

Natural gas geysers are helpful, especially in the early-mid game, but they don't give that much power over time. Once you average it out, each of the 2 geysers on my map could just about run one generator full time.

Oh Christ, I didn't realize those things had two states, I figured they were always on and would keep their room at max pressure at all times. This game is nuts.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DreadCthulhu posted:

Oh Christ, I didn't realize those things had two states, I figured they were always on and would keep their room at max pressure at all times. This game is nuts.

The downtime on geysers, vents, and volcanoes is useful so you can go in and build stuff to contain/exploit them. Also so you can fix what you built when it turns out not to work quite right.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DreadCthulhu posted:

So this is a bit beyond the specifics of what you're asking, but you can do it a couple ways:

The generally used method is to centralize power production somewhere, run decor bombing heavi-watt in a centralized shaft that you then pull transformers off of. This is generally considered the most common method and works fine.

I do it differently, mainly because I learned the strengths of a gold volcano a long time ago and just greatly prefer this method in the long run because it doesn't tie me to that decor bomb service pipe right in the middle of everything. It's arguably more complicated, but you'll learn past a certain point in this game, after you've mastered the survival elements, it's basically just a creativity engine and you're free to do whatever the gently caress you want.

Dead center in this photo is my "power tower" or basically just my power plant area set up so gravity handles all the waste efficiently. CO2 flows down and gets destroyed by the closed loop sieve/skimmers, polluted water is trapped at the bottom and pumped into my basewide fluid loop system. In my case the refinery/turbine area is also wired into this loop and will turn on just like the other power generators once the batteries fall off. All power plants are tied to the battery bank, which feed the transformers, which all have a battery attached to shut them off as well. There's a shitload going on here, especially for a newer player, so feel free to ask about anything specific for more detail.

By centralizing my power and transformers into one area like this, it lets me keep my heavi-watt confined to the same area, and greatly restricted to places where dupes almost never go. Instead, I run the 2kw wire throughout from the centralized transformers.

The big picture then looks like this:

Now you would think that 2kw wire everywhere would lead to situations of broken wire, but what matters most is that it only affects the wire when the power draw is greater than 2kw sustained. You can have 20kw of machinery hooked up to a 2kw wire so long as only 2kw is only ever in use at the same time, and there are very few items that actually draw more than 240w at any given time. With some thinking and the occasional clock sensor, I have my entire base running off ~6 transformers and maybe 100 tiles of heavi-watt total. I've added supplemental power sources in my refinery area and with the solar farm I played around with, but I still haven't hit the limit of my conductive wire capacity in 1600 cycles.

An example: This wire has a potential draw of 17kw, but because the power overlay makes it very clear about what is connected to it and I know how those machines run, it barely ever peaks over 1500w and doesn't break. If for some reason it does break, it will break specifically at the wire bridges only, which are all easily repairable and make for a great early warning device to let you know you need to rebalance a couple wires.

The original point of avoiding heavi-watt was that it was the single source of real bad decor in the game and for a long time decor was a main morale driver. Going with the above idea, my decor overlay looks like this (metal tile kicks rear end and IMO refined gold is the single most important resource in the game):

Since the recreation update it's a bit overkill: by maximizing decor every day, along with utilizing room design, leisure machines and food choices (frost burgers are a trap, do not make) some of my dupes have in excess of 70 morale and can take every job on the chart if I wanted them to. I only have 2 doctors, 2 artists, and 4 cooks though so as those jobs only need a couple of people and are a waste of morale to give to everyone. You can also try to decor bomb them while they sleep or whatever since I heard the 120 decor limit isn't actually a hard cap in the internal math so you can still bomb it and throw the daily average way off, but that's for another post.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 24, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I want to try for 1500T of steel this playthrough. I'm on Aridio, so I have caustic and rust biomes. I'm using rust deoxydizers for oxygen and will until I run out of all 1200T of it. I also have a separate 500T of iron ore (!!). A few stone hatch farms for food gives me plenty of coal, and my early game Pip ranch is keeping me running on ethanol and pdirt for pokeshells. I have 3T of lime, haven't started crushing fossil yet, and I'm on cycle 350ish. I bet I can do this.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

While I'm stuck at home I've been watching some Francis John playthroughs and he never uses shine nymphs. I know I don't ranch them or anything, but I toss a few in rooms for free decor and a little egg shell. I'm not crazy for that right? I mean, once the egg is in the room they're like pacu's and they lay an egg before they die without any maintenance. I don't get a ton of egg shell or anything, but it's free decor too.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

That's nuts, thanks for sharing all of that. The screenshots help with getting a sense of how things could be organized. I thought I was tidy, but that's beyond next level. Also 1500+ cycles is no joke. I think I'm still around 30 on my end. Those are great tips.

What are people doing about long explorations? For example you want to dig many screens in a certain direction. At some point it will take hours for your duplicants to even get there. Is that the game's way to set a natural limit on how far you should go? Do you end up setting up a second base out there, or is that generally unadvisable?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

That's nuts, thanks for sharing all of that. The screenshots help with getting a sense of how things could be organized. I thought I was tidy, but that's beyond next level. Also 1500+ cycles is no joke. I think I'm still around 30 on my end. Those are great tips.

What are people doing about long explorations? For example you want to dig many screens in a certain direction. At some point it will take hours for your duplicants to even get there. Is that the game's way to set a natural limit on how far you should go? Do you end up setting up a second base out there, or is that generally unadvisable?

The map is actually not that big, and your duplicants get faster as their athletics skill goes up, so it never really takes that long just to get to a point on the map. Later you can build things like transit tubes to make traveling to specific spots faster, but that's only really worth it if you expect a lot of steady travel to/from that area.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

2 things to throw out here:

An average map has like 600T of lead on it once the oil biome is cored out. Metal tiles have a +50% runspeed.

You can also make regular tile floors to go left/right (then ladders/poles up & down). Regular tiles have a +25% runspeed.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DreadCthulhu posted:

- As mentioned, Metal and plastic tiles increase run speed as do plastic ladders (there’s a steel ladder mod on the workshop that’s also good but steel is a late game commitment). There’s also fire poles and then plastic transit tubes.

- As also mentioned, dupes gain runspeed from althetics and past like 300 cycles it will add up significantly. Those 1500 cycle dupes have 20-24 althetics and run on metal tile nearly as fast they move in transit tubes. If you go the all-atmosuit-all-the-time route later on, exosuit training removes the speed penalty from suits as well

- You can automate a ton of Delivery/storage tasks in the mid to late game with sweeper arms and that part of tech tree, which will free up a lot of dupe time. The early game is where you feel that lack-of-poo poo-getting-done feeling the most because you don’t have the dupes or infrastructure to spread out the workload.

As a new player though, don’t fall into the trap that more dupes = better. Until you grasp the food/O2 mechanics well, more dupes is the #1 point of failure as you need to support them. Start with like 3-6 and slowly build from there as you get used to everything. Once it all clicks you’ll start playing out a lot more cycles easily. Your totally expected to fail for like a good while though, especially without youtube help and what not right away, so don’t sweat that. If you showed me in the first two weeks of playing my current maps and said I made them I’d call you a loving liar.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

seaborgium posted:

While I'm stuck at home I've been watching some Francis John playthroughs and he never uses shine nymphs. I know I don't ranch them or anything, but I toss a few in rooms for free decor and a little egg shell. I'm not crazy for that right? I mean, once the egg is in the room they're like pacu's and they lay an egg before they die without any maintenance. I don't get a ton of egg shell or anything, but it's free decor too.

Not crazy. I do the same, usually in the bathroom where having light makes your dups poop faster. Science!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I have a weird hang-up about my dupes getting good at Athletics; it makes me worry my base is inefficient because they're doing so much running.

I'll watch Nisbet zip by at efficient high speed and think to myself, "Oh no! What am I doing wrong?"

I'm getting over it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I split up my main ladder / pole shaft into two channels for each because that way when dupes inevitably drop poo poo at the sound of a dinner bell it doesn't fall the entire height of the base.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

I'm not a new player but I'm still figuring out the mid-late game and this image by itself was super helpful to me. Thank you.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Han Nehi posted:

Not crazy. I do the same, usually in the bathroom where having light makes your dups poop faster. Science!

Wh...what? Well now I gotta renovate all the bathrooms... Though most of my base is shrouded in darkness, you'd think my dupes would have evolved giant owl eyes by now.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

And clean the toilets faster, if you're still using outhouses. Setting up your first latrine in a pocket with shinebugs isn't a bad idea.

I like to build my research stations on either side of the printer, since it's free light.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Bucnasti posted:

I'm not a new player but I'm still figuring out the mid-late game and this image by itself was super helpful to me. Thank you.

FWIW most bases will grow a lot less organized/more organically then that; I play to a pretty meticulous style in terms of design and not wasting space for no real reason other than that’s how my brain works.

Here’s a post from not too long ago with more zoomed out photos of everything including some of the overlays (and a shitload of words about kitchens or something)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 25, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is surrounding your whole base with one layer of insulating tile before digging into slime or chlorine territory a useful life hack, or meh?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I wish the diseases ever amounted to anything. They're so weak I barely notice my dupes getting sick. I've never let them get zombie spored, but I get the feeling even that wouldn't matter much.

Also I have high morale and don't really do much for decor. I think you can just do a line of statues near the beds and you're golden. I have mine eating burgers because I can produce infinite of them for basically free.

I insulate my base so it doesn't get too hot, but insulation isn't going to be what protects you from disease. If you want to stop slime lung, use deoderizors.

Chlorine is harmless (somehow).

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 25, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Only been playing a couple of months, but have a couple of interesting ways to deal with early-mid game base issues that might help.
With power, you can do a LOT more than most people seem to do, you just need to understand the mechanics. I don't run a single power brick yet (I plan to do so when I get enough space/time), instead I have multiple small power generating areas, but these can feed into the main base power room using transformers. This lets you have small power plants near stuff like natural gas geysers/excess energy from SPOM, without having to centralise everything yet.
To feed out, you just need a transformer wired up with automation to a smart battery with a NOT gate. When the battery is full, the transformer is on allowing 1kW to be sent out. The receiving power grid then just needs an incoming transformer and feed it onto its heavi-watt spine. When power in the first drops too low, the transformer will shut off and allow the power to build up again - this prevents my SPOM from backing up hydrogen for example.
You can also run 2kW by attaching 2 transformers to a conductive wire, and having a single heavy transformer at the other end to draw off 2kW. Basically, think of transformers as a combination of one way valve and rate limiter. However - the mechanics get a bit funky if you want to split this transmitted power between destinations. I ended up needing a small amount of power in my oil biome, so I tapped off the main branch, added a transformer and then batteries on the other side. However, the main power spine appeared to suck up all the juice from my transmission so the batteries never charged. I had to add a shutoff on a 10 second timer on/off timer, when it was off the other branch got power, and a large battery was enough to buffer the power so the final destination always had juice. I couldn't see any logic to which transformer gets to suck the power first so a sturdier system should switch between destinations properly instead of just turning the dominant one off like I did.
I've now started a new base since then in Arboria, and I've tried to keep as bunch of the original soil tiles & plants around my central ladder between toilets/food area. A couple of strategic doors and some wild pips to add more plants meant it now classifies as a nature reserve, which is an instant +6 morale for everyone every day. It's seriously awesome and can be done by cycle 20-30. Add in great hall, bedroom, washroom bonuses, and I have had no morale problems so far without even thinking about decor or better food.

Buddy bud plants work better than deodorisers for clearing slime lung from the air. Always plant one near the main entrance/exits from the base, and a few placed between deodorisers as you clear a slime biome can scrub the air 10x faster than just deodorisers alone.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Shadow0 posted:

I wish the diseases ever amounted to anything. They're so weak I barely notice my dupes getting sick. I've never let them get zombie spored, but I get the feeling even that wouldn't matter much.

Also I have high morale and don't really do much for decor. I think you can just do a line of statues near the beds and you're golden. I have mine eating burgers because I can produce infinite of them for basically free.

I insulate my base so it doesn't get too hot, but insulation isn't going to be what protects you from disease. If you want to stop slime lung, use deoderizors.

Chlorine is harmless (somehow).

Burgers are bad because they give the soul food debuff, which reduces athletics by 2. Only food to do that anymore since they changed BBQ. -15% stress and ~2 more morale isn’t worth 20% movespeed ever.

Decor is a daily average so if you can front load it it’s generally fine, but the more time they spend in low decor the more you’ll need to offset. Metal tile pulls double use as runspeed and decor and paintings/statues are cheap, so I find there’s little reason not to just throw those everywhere anyway. The big thing is just don’t have your central ladder next to your heavi-watt pipeline or you’ll blast dupes with bad decor on the regular. The occasionally day of mining or dirty refinery work will not impact enough to cause meaningful stress.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is surrounding your whole base with one layer of insulating tile before digging into slime or chlorine territory a useful life hack, or meh?

Eventually you want to surround your living area with 1 or 2 tile layers of insulated tile and move all industry/heat production out of that space. Then you just need like a wheeze or 2 in the kitchen and it’ll stay comfortable temps forever. Dupes have a pretty decent comfort range but a lot of plants do not and you want to maintain those plants for any nature reserve/room quals/looking good.

1 layer of insulated tile will leak, slowly, but it will leak. Noticeable around volcanoes. 2 layers of insulated tile are nearly a perfect insulator because you have a TC of 0.02 multiplied by 0.02.

Igneous rock is the best of the standard minerals for insulated material because it has the highest SHC, granite is the best for heat transfer Because of highest TC and for building from because of the decor buff. These differences between minerals are small enough to not really matter, aka you can ignore and build from what’s around, but it adds up over hundreds of cycles and hell, you need a use for the different materials anyway. Feed sedimentary to hatches first, then whatever else. The only notable thing is that granite regular piping has a TC only slightly lower than metal ore radiant piping. Don’t bother with radiant unless it’s refined metal and you really need heat transfer done quickly, like in a turbine room.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 25, 2020