Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc M posted:

When you punch a zombieman's head into their chest cavity, it apparently makes a faint squeaky toy sound. I never noticed that because I'm always too busy laughing at the stupid :saddowns: face they make during that animation.

That one is by far my favourite Glory Kill :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The cheat system in Doom Eternal is quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of it. The game more or less encourages you to use them and replay levels, because you can still get collectables, finish challenges, and get profile points for finishing levels with cheats on. Some of the combos are just ridiculously fun, and it's real cathartic to blow through some of the harder encounters in the game without breaking a sweat, chainsawing with reckless abandon.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dewgy posted:

The cheat system in Doom Eternal is quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of it. The game more or less encourages you to use them and replay levels, because you can still get collectables, finish challenges, and get profile points for finishing levels with cheats on. Some of the combos are just ridiculously fun, and it's real cathartic to blow through some of the harder encounters in the game without breaking a sweat, chainsawing with reckless abandon.

It really seems like Doom:2016 and DOOM ETERNAL would really be right up my alley, considering in Borderlands 1, I ONLY Player Brick and in BL2, I ONLY played Salvador, with this assault rifle that shot rockets (that dropped a grenade)

But,,,I watched a video of DOOM ETERNAL and had to turn it off after 10 minutes, was making me very motion sick. :(

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Mierenneuker posted:

Be sure to drop some pennies on the Black Market Aerial Pack DLC. The parachute thrusters make traveling around using your parachute and grappling hook effective and a lot more fun.

Will do,it came with some parachute DLC skins which are neat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Johnny Aztec posted:

But,,,I watched a video of DOOM ETERNAL and had to turn it off after 10 minutes, was making me very motion sick. :(

Sometimes that just happens with any recording of any FPS, playing it and controlling the viewpoint yourself is a different experience and might go better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

It really seems like Doom:2016 and DOOM ETERNAL would really be right up my alley, considering in Borderlands 1, I ONLY Player Brick and in BL2, I ONLY played Salvador, with this assault rifle that shot rockets (that dropped a grenade)

Is 2016 still a fiver? Might be worth giving it a shot to see if controlling it doesn’t cause the motion sickness, they’re both really great games.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I love the aesthetic of Wild ARMs 3.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

haveblue posted:

Sometimes that just happens with any recording of any FPS, playing it and controlling the viewpoint yourself is a different experience and might go better.

Hrm, that makes an amount of sense. I've wondered why BL2 doesn't make me sick at all, but that did.

However, Portal and Goat Simulator both make me incredibly ill within a half hour (of actually playing) that I had to lay down in a dark room for a while.
....I have pills for this but I've never gone back and tried the games after taking them.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is 2016 still a fiver? Might be worth giving it a shot to see if controlling it doesn’t cause the motion sickness, they’re both really great games.

Honestly, due to all this going on, I couldn't pick it up if I wanted to. Got 3$ in the bank and a small pile of change at home.

That is, I have plenty of food, and all my needs are met, I just don't have any room for Non-essentials.

Plus one ear of my good turtle beach headphones is busted and I just don't feel I would be doing the same proper justice if I don't have adequate audio.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Mar 24, 2020

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just picked up Witcher 3, and I wanted to say that it's been quite a treat to have my horse do a pretty solid job of following the roads by himself. It makes getting around much less of a hassle than I normally find horse riding to be.

I also like that the crafting and alchemy ingredients are weightless, so I don't have to stop myself from taking everything that isn't nailed down.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leavemywife posted:

I love the aesthetic of Wild ARMs 3.

God yes, that sketchy cell shading is wonderful

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Kitfox88 posted:

God yes, that sketchy cell shading is wonderful

I love the character designs, too. Veronica has like, a normal dress, if a little showy. And there's no dumbass romance to deal with! The only married guy has his family, and it's a pretty normal thing, too, barring his job as what is basically a mercenary.

Honestly, just the whole game. I love the entire game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
playing Bloodborne for the millionth time and this time i grabbed Logarius' Wheel early after killing an ally

Its a goddamned breaking wheel that i just hammer on top of enemies heads one handed and transform it into a duel handed wheel that bleeds vampire hate and can be revved up for insane damage

I love it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

10 minutes of Doom 2016 is all you need to experience the entire game, just get through the first arena room and pretend that the imps were bigger and the gun model you shot them with was also bigger, and it went on for 10 hours

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games where changing little more than a variable in the code improves the experience?

There was that crummy Alien game where someone mispelt 'tether' as 'teather' which hampered the AI.

Original Sin 2 is x100 times better with the mod that removes the exponential power scaling. Now your equipment lasts longer, you don't have to outfit every time you level up, the stat numbers are no longer silly, and fighting a foe that's a higher level is no longer suicide.

Witcher 3 is improved by disabling the loading-screen recaps and cleaning the grime off the camera when you look at the sun.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Not quite the same thing, but XCom 2 had some really bad performance issues at launch (which still might be there), and if you pressed a certain button during the loading screen, it would load way faster.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

10 minutes of Doom 2016 is all you need to experience the entire game, just get through the first arena room and pretend that the imps were bigger and the gun model you shot them with was also bigger, and it went on for 10 hours

This is my experience with the game. Doom 2016 was incredibly boring.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games where changing little more than a variable in the code improves the experience?

There was that crummy Alien game where someone mispelt 'tether' as 'teather' which hampered the AI.

Original Sin 2 is x100 times better with the mod that removes the exponential power scaling. Now your equipment lasts longer, you don't have to outfit every time you level up, the stat numbers are no longer silly, and fighting a foe that's a higher level is no longer suicide.

Witcher 3 is improved by disabling the loading-screen recaps and cleaning the grime off the camera when you look at the sun.

There was some bug in Stardew Valley that made certain loot drops far less frequent than intended. Something like the loot table array being indexed wrong iirc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 both had basic stats that don't work. Hell in FF7 the blind status does literally nothing to enemies.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pocket Billiards posted:

There was some bug in Stardew Valley that made certain loot drops far less frequent than intended. Something like the loot table array being indexed wrong iirc.

One of the Monster Hunter games on 3DS (want to say it was MH4) had a bug regarding loot tables - essentially they were supposed to be refreshed every time you turned on the game, but a big made it so that they were generated once when you started new games and never again. Which would be weird but fine except that certain loot tables were demonstrably worse than others, including locking you put of some of the best charms in the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of a bug in the original X-COM -- any time you loaded the game from save, it would reset the difficulty to the easiest difficulty. This lead to complaints that the game was too easy, even on the hardest difficulty...which lead to the sequel, Terror From The Deep, to be harder than the hardest difficulty on the original game after the bug had been fixed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Some of the first Pokemon generation's problems that kinda fit here...

- Ghost was supposed to be one of Psychic's two weaknesses, except they mistakenly set Ghost moves to do 0x damage to Psychics instead of 2x.

- The move Focus Energy was supposed to increase critical hit rate. It instead lowered it.

- Speaking of, critical rate was tied to Speed and was also four times higher than it was supposed to be.

- While the actual damage of super-effective moves was calculated properly, the 'it's super-effective!' message only checked the target Pokemon's first type.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 both had basic stats that don't work. Hell in FF7 the blind status does literally nothing to enemies.

Final Fantasy 1 had spells that were literally useless. Not just "too unreliable to use" but "granted you immunity to attacks no enemy in the game actually used." Seems a common issue in Final Fantasy games, great as so many of them are otherwise.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Final Fantasy bugs, the ROMHack LP thread recently went on an FF4 randomizer binge, which included covering some of the many bugs in that game, e.g.
  • If a character is equipped with a weapon that deals full damage from the back row, they get the "back row bit" set to tell the game how to calculate damage. This bit is never unset, so you can give a character a ranged weapon and then immediately remove it and the character will deal full damage from the back row for the rest of the game.
  • If you queue up an action to cast Life or use a Life potion on an enemy and then kill the enemy, the Life effect will revive the enemy with 0 HP and it will immediately die, giving you double experience.
  • The Sylph summon (drains HP from an enemy to heal the party) does not use up MP when cast.

There's also stuff like, in the base game you can skip probably the worst dungeon in the game (the Sealed Cave) by casting Warp after the Dwarf Castle sequence. It'll take you back to the castle crystal room and you can grab the same crystal you would normally get from the Sealed Cave.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Final Fantasy 1 had spells that were literally useless. Not just "too unreliable to use" but "granted you immunity to attacks no enemy in the game actually used." Seems a common issue in Final Fantasy games, great as so many of them are otherwise.

Oh yeah.

In FF1 Intelligence didn't work right so Red Mages had full power spells (where in theory they were supposed to have weaker spells compared to White/Black mages.)
Critical damage was also broken so that physical attacks did way way way more damage than they should.

FF2 on the NES let you level up stats (which normally are leveled up by performing an action) by simply CHOOSING the action and then cancelling it.

In FF9 one of Steiner's attacks (Thunder Strike) has a hit rate of 0 which renders it basically worthless and even if it does hit (which involves being massively overleveled) it uses the wrong effect ("reduces enemy HP by 19%") instead of what was likely the intended effect (1.9 physical damage with an elemental thunder effect.)

Mystic Quest has a hilarious bug where casting Cure on the final boss instantly kills him

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Civ VI had a similar thing, IIRC it was "yield" misspelled as "yeild"?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Not quite the same thing, but XCom 2 had some really bad performance issues at launch (which still might be there), and if you pressed a certain button during the loading screen, it would load way faster.

Yeah, that was pretty silly. I know that the devs want to give a polished experience, but making the load times five times (or whatever) longer just so you can preload all the hidef textures for your base menu wasn't really worth it.

At least they left the hidden option to skip them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 3 has a whole poise system, only the flag for poise is deliberately switched to "0". You could wear full Havel and you'll still flinch.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

What mod is that/link? Because the inventory and stat scaling is absolutely ruining the game for me right now.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mass Effect 2's loading screens were videos and so took a fixed long duration even if you had an SSD, unless you had a mod to remove them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

orcane posted:

What mod is that/link? Because the inventory and stat scaling is absolutely ruining the game for me right now.

Reduced Number Bloat (DE) by Baardvark. You'll also need the mod that enables achievements on modded games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Reduced Number Bloat (DE) by Baardvark. You'll also need the mod that enables achievements on modded games.
Oh I already have that because I'm playing with some of the gift bag features :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dark Souls 3 has a whole poise system, only the flag for poise is deliberately switched to "0". You could wear full Havel and you'll still flinch.

That one's completely intended though, for a bit there was a misunderstanding that Poise was broken because someone found that it was seemingly always 0 but it was pretty quickly debunked.

Poise in DS3 is specifically a stat to stop your attacks from getting interrupted, rather than being the universal anti-flinch stat from the earlier games which allowed unstoppable Havel facetanking. It's by design always "zero" when you're not in the middle of an action, but having more of it means you can swing a greatsword without your attacks immediately getting interrupted by someone poking you with a dagger.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Mar 25, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dark Souls has a lot of weird meters, like the poison resistance meter - it's not a "You are getting poisoned" meter, it's a "You are running out of resistance to it" situation, it starts at a max number then you get poisoned when it hits Zero. It also automatically refills. Hence when putting equipment on with poison resistance, the meter shows up partially full and drains - you are actuall going from, like, 75 resistance to 100, so it has to fill the 25 point difference to the new max. It's something like that. Toxic and Insanity and other status effects in the franchise seem to work the same way.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leavemywife posted:

I love the character designs, too. Veronica has like, a normal dress, if a little showy. And there's no dumbass romance to deal with! The only married guy has his family, and it's a pretty normal thing, too, barring his job as what is basically a mercenary.

Honestly, just the whole game. I love the entire game.

I need to replay it sometime yeah, it’s a top tier ps2 era kept

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well dammit, i just got it to play with my friends on PS4, no mods for me.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kanfy posted:

That one's completely intended though, for a bit there was a misunderstanding that Poise was broken because someone found that it was seemingly always 0 but it was pretty quickly debunked.

Poise in DS3 is specifically a stat to stop your attacks from getting interrupted, rather than being the universal anti-flinch stat from the earlier games which allowed unstoppable Havel facetanking. It's by design always "zero" when you're not in the middle of an action, but having more of it means you can swing a greatsword without your attacks immediately getting interrupted by someone poking you with a dagger.

Even more specifically, it only helped some attacks. It was mostly for two-handed "great"weapons, and a few weapon arts here and there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

edit: *this is the PYF little things thread!?*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It was an overflow glitch that lead to Gandhi's love of nuclear weapons in Civilization.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It was an overflow glitch that lead to Gandhi's love of nuclear weapons in Civilization.

Specifically, he had a very low aggression rating, and when he would switch to democracy later in the game; it knocked 10 points off that rating... so it went negative and became 255.

Even the most aggressive civs in the game were supposed to max at something like 100. Gandhi wouldn’t be an rear end all game, he would start like no wars and then go absolutely bugfuck nuts late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Specifically, he had a very low aggression rating, and when he would switch to democracy later in the game; it knocked 10 points off that rating... so it went negative and became 255.

Even the most aggressive civs in the game were supposed to max at something like 100. Gandhi wouldn’t be an rear end all game, he would start like no wars and then go absolutely bugfuck nuts late game.

Although this may not have actually happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3SdgkW8W4