Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

IDK where the goon phobia of old PSUs detonating and taking hardware with them comes from. It's really not justified. PSUs die, and they can kill stuff, but it's not really a common occurrence outside of garbage quality PSUs you shouldn't be buying to begin with.
My first power supply failure in 2004 took all the directly connected hardware with it. The cards survived but the motherboard and all of the disk drives were dead. My second one in 2011 took the motherboard, one hard disk, and the GPU. The first was the OEM power supply in a Pentium II era NEC desktop, the second was a 550w Thermaltake. Nothing super nice but common grade hardware.

I work in the MSP world and I've replaced literally dozens of power supplies that just quietly stopped working, so I'm not saying that all or even most power supply failures will take other parts with them, but it is still a possibility to take seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

wolrah posted:

My first power supply failure in 2004 took all the directly connected hardware with it. The cards survived but the motherboard and all of the disk drives were dead. My second one in 2011 took the motherboard, one hard disk, and the GPU. The first was the OEM power supply in a Pentium II era NEC desktop, the second was a 550w Thermaltake. Nothing super nice but common grade hardware.

I work in the MSP world and I've replaced literally dozens of power supplies that just quietly stopped working, so I'm not saying that all or even most power supply failures will take other parts with them, but it is still a possibility to take seriously.

Yeah and it can happen even when the PSU is under warranty. Using the warranty as a guide to throw away a 6 year old PSU and generate more waste is pointless.

edit: Also not sure that lumping in the late 90s bundled PSU in your anecdote says much. Lots of PSUs were garbage then.

Inept fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a bunch of navi verilog source code has leaked out, if anyone wants to see some trade secrets lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The Github was DMCA'd.

The 4chan thread appears to be your best bet so far. At least one person in there appears to have gotten a pull request in before it went down. http://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/75179615/and-navi-source-leak

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 24, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What does this mean, to somebody who only knows how to plug it in?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What does this mean, to somebody who only knows how to plug it in?

Basically, you can make your very own Navi GPU on a Field Programmable Gate Array albeit at reduced performance compared to the real silicon. It also lets you see in fine detail how the hardware actually works and allow anyone with the resources to engineer their own or at least steal the good parts and secret sauce.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Github was DMCA'd.

The 4chan thread appears to be your best bet so far. At least one person in there appears to have gotten a pull request in before it went down. http://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/75179615/and-navi-source-leak

It's gone too. They're quickly wiping it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

NotNut posted:

I've been having various problems with my 5700 XT like one or both screens going black when I'm running a game, Photoshop loving up when I'm using a lot of graphical memory, or Chrome crashing whenever I go to Imgur. Is this likely caused by the card itself or the drivers?

I haven't seen some of your symptoms though the black screen problem is a driver issue, but the drivers have been crappy for a few months now. Even the latest 20.3.1 which has a new problem for me with locking up when the machine is idle. This is with an RX 5700 flashed to the XT bios.

So I went back to driver version 19.12.3 which was and remains super stable and performant for me, no problems at all. You may want to give that a shot before giving up on the card itself.

I'm not doing a driver upgrade for a long while, don't care what AMD says about fixes.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I was so ready to hop on the AMD bandwagon and get a Red Devil end of last year and now I'm glad I didn't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna lend my own anecdote here to say that the latest AMD driver has only helped my stability issues. Sometimes the display wouldn't turn on properly during the first boot-up of the day and I'd have to reboot at least once to get it working, and then when I started using a dual monitor set-up it got even worse, but since 20.3.1 that issue has gone away completely

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Who else rocking a GTX 1080 in 2020? :smugdog: I bought mine in 2017 and very happy with it. Still pushing 80 to 90 fps with AAA titles at 1440p on a Ryzen 5 2600x/3200MHz 16GB setup.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Still using a 1080ti. I think really it's just a sign that GPUs have stagnated quite badly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Howard Phillips posted:

Who else rocking a GTX 1080 in 2020? :smugdog: I bought mine in 2017 and very happy with it. Still pushing 80 to 90 fps with AAA titles at 1440p on a Ryzen 5 2600x/3200MHz 16GB setup.

Ya. I just wish I'd bought a 1080ti.

I regretted the (used) 1080 at first when the 5700 hit but not now, for sure.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm riding with this 1080ti as long as it keeps auto detecting high/ultra settings for me, or until RTX features on new releases become too compelling to pass up.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah got my 1080 around launch day, didn't expect to stick with it this long.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Howard Phillips posted:

:hfive:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Still rocking the 1080, but I always expected that to be the case because it was always very unlikely that anything would come out of the 2000 series that would make it value for money to upgrade.

It's all getting a bit long in the tooth to be trying to do 4k even at reduced settings, so intending to do a full system refresh at the end of this year.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

The 1080Ti was to be my upgrade of choice from my 7970, but I was busy with other stuff at the time and didn't game for a long while. The 20xx was on the horizon by the time I got back to gaming and, well, the bitcoin surge happened along with dramatically lowered perf/$ value on the 20xx series for the features I actually cared about (ie., not RTX/DLSS at the time).

This 5700 has been a great card with the XT bios other than for driver issues for about 6 weeks - but man have those weeks been aggravating. Just went over my posts in this thread and I was last a happy camper on Jan 13th going by those. 19.12.3 will keep me sane - last thing I need is driver issues as I'm working from home full time.

Still regret not picking up the 1080Ti soon after release though I'm very happy I didn't pick the g-sync monitor I was planning to pair it with.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Howard Phillips posted:

:same:

actually, very same specs as you, and still perfectly happy with 1440p/60 performance :smug:

let's see what the Nvidia 3XXX series will bring to the table...

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

I am still using my 1080ti since 2018 and probably going to keep using it for the foreseeable future. Using it for 144hz/1440p. I am probably going to upgrade my CPU to a 9900k from a 8600k as I want to max out my system so I don't need to replace anything for a long time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Howard Phillips posted:

8-10-18 FTW edition $490 tax included I got it on sale, in a lull of the Bitcoin booms.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The prospective performance increase of the 2080Ti's replacement has been the magically reducing number in WCCFtech articles. It started as high as +70%, and last I saw it was down to ~+30%. nVidia's not going to sell an ultra-premium GPU during a recession/depression, either.

So if you trust the seller/source and have the money to spend now, :shrug:. But do you *really* need to be spending $1300 Canuckbux right before things could potentially get really dicey economy-wise?

I decided to do it 🤔 I'm incredibly lucky to be this financially secure and I don't think the next gen hardware is gonna do anything insane, so instead of being stuck forever in "I'll wait to see what's coming out next iteration" limbo forever I just decided to do it. Thanks for the reasonable reply!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

1080ti owner checking in, it plays Factorio at a perfect 60fps on my 165Hz gsync monitor

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

1080ti owner checking in, it plays Factorio at a perfect 60fps on my 165Hz gsync monitor

How good does the 60fps look on the 165Hz monitor?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

VelociBacon posted:

How good does the 60fps look on the 165Hz monitor?

If it's gsync or activesync, looks great.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Howard Phillips posted:

hell yeah a mix of high/med and 4k ain't no thang

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 1080 for at least a year and a half but the 2000 series has been a big bummer.

I was still happy with it until my Valve Index arrived last week to replace a CV1 Rift and now I have to actually tweak supersampling and per-game graphics settings

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Used 1080 ti here for a bit over a year on 4k/60hz. Haven't had any issues with it, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
In a quarantined fit of boredom, I purchased a 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync/G-Sync Compatible monitor (to be delivered this weekend) to pair with my 2070S and Ryzen 1600x. I've done some research, and I think that I'll be able to push 90+ fps in most stuff. Do goons agree? Is my processor a bottleneck? Do I need to spend more money that I shouldn't spend on an upgraded processor?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Sneeze Party posted:

In a quarantined fit of boredom, I purchased a 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync/G-Sync Compatible monitor (to be delivered this weekend) to pair with my 2070S and Ryzen 1600x. I've done some research, and I think that I'll be able to push 90+ fps in most stuff. Do goons agree? Is my processor a bottleneck? Do I need to spend more money that I shouldn't spend on an upgraded processor?

Just try it with your current hardware and see how it runs for you, then worry about upgrading if the CPU is holding you back.

Here are some scaling benchmarks, the 1600 is roughly 15-20% slower than the 3600.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1897-ryzen-5-ryzen-9-core-i9-gaming-scaling/

2600 vs 3600 scaling

https://www.techspot.com/review/1968-ryzen-3600-vs-2600-gaming-scaling/

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
1080ti with Read Dead Redemption 2 with the default settings (mostly highs and very highs) at 4k nets sub 30 frames for me, pushing to .9x rendering resolution gets it far smoother but it's a somewhat choppy experience at times. Rise of the Tomb Raider is in a similar boat, but with everything turned on. Most of the time however it handles 4k between 30 and 60 with reasonable settings, but HDR reliability is pretty sketchy.

It's a really good card.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also using a vanilla 1080 here that I bought only a couple months after they were released, its a MSI Sea Hawk X that I pulled the AIO off of and swapped with a EKWB full cover about a year later. At the time I thought it was overpriced and I would probably regret it, but it has turned out to be one of the best investments I've ever made in a gaming PC.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I’m on a 1070 at 1440p and really feel for a need to upgrade.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Tab8715 posted:

I’m on a 1070 at 1440p and really feel for a need to upgrade.

Same, except the need to upgrade. What's driving you?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MarsellusWallace posted:

Same, except the need to upgrade. What's driving you?

I had 1 and 2 and then 1 again 980ti's driving 1440p and they're basically the same performance as a 1070 IIRC, I definitely felt like it was holding me back in GPU intensive games.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

snickothemule posted:

1080ti with Read Dead Redemption 2 with the default settings (mostly highs and very highs) at 4k nets sub 30 frames for me, pushing to .9x rendering resolution gets it far smoother but it's a somewhat choppy experience at times. Rise of the Tomb Raider is in a similar boat, but with everything turned on. Most of the time however it handles 4k between 30 and 60 with reasonable settings, but HDR reliability is pretty sketchy.

It's a really good card.

There was a really good article from eurogamer that helped me get 60fps with a 1080ti on RDR2 - they worked out the equivalent of xbox one x settings and a 1080ti can handle it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-what-does-it-take-to-run-red-dead-redemption-2-at-60fps

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There was a really good article from eurogamer that helped me get 60fps with a 1080ti on RDR2 - they worked out the equivalent of xbox one x settings and a 1080ti can handle it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-what-does-it-take-to-run-red-dead-redemption-2-at-60fps

Nice! Thanks for sharing this, as much as I pretend not to be a graphics snob I still have that dumb urge to MAX ALL SETTINGS!

These sorts of articles own, I can't imagine sitting down for that long tinkering every setting to see what works, especially with how many settings R* put in.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks like we might be getting a new 3Dfx card this year!

https://twitter.com/Bhaal_Spawn/status/1242423919740481537

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

I had 1 and 2 and then 1 again 980ti's driving 1440p and they're basically the same performance as a 1070 IIRC, I definitely felt like it was holding me back in GPU intensive games.

Not that I've been playing anything intensive lately, but I've noticed that for some of the newer releases like Doom, my 1070 would only be ok for 1440p. On the other hand, ok is good enough at least until Nvidia release the 3000 series cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I have a bad feeling about the 3 series cards, nvidia started trying to use their tensor cores again which makes me think they're stuffing those on the new cards. That means yet again they're wasting space on those hardly-used things, more price less performance