Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Well my trip has been cancelled. Now I need to contact Disney to see if I can change my (separately bought tickets) to next year. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dren posted:

From the kinsa temperature map, which is supposed to be a leading indicator for new covid infections:

FL is the worst spot in the nation

and yet our dumbass governor wants things to carry on as normal because "we aren't infected corner to corner."

Yes, idiot, that's why we need to take action to prevent it, especially since it's a state full of elderly folks.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal (Both FL and CA) just extended the closure until April 19th (And will continue to pay employees). No word from Disney yet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Atricks posted:

Universal (Both FL and CA) just extended the closure until April 19th (And will continue to pay employees). No word from Disney yet.

Disney is adhering to local laws and regulations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Disney is adhering to local laws and regulations.

The complete shutdown ahead of the state doing anything useful makes me think that they absolutely want to avoid becoming a center of the infection no matter what, and are playing cards as close to their chest as possible to avoid investor freakout over a temporary loss of money.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I need to stop checking for updates before bed this just makes me nervous. I’m sure we can rebook a stay, but it might be harder to get the Ohana fireworks timeslot booking.

If we have to move/cancel our flights, does anyone have any experience with this? My understanding is that “cancelling your flights because your destination is closed” is not grounds for a refund.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Haven't heard of anyone having trouble refunding domestic flights right now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Clawtopsy posted:

I need to stop checking for updates before bed this just makes me nervous. I’m sure we can rebook a stay, but it might be harder to get the Ohana fireworks timeslot booking.

If we have to move/cancel our flights, does anyone have any experience with this? My understanding is that “cancelling your flights because your destination is closed” is not grounds for a refund.

It depends on your carrier. Southwest has extended refunds out for awhile. I'm guessing part of the bailout will involve refunds too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

To my knowledge, every carrier is allowing flexibility for travel impacted by the virus. This usually results in you getting your fare back as airline credit applicable for a flight with them in the next 12 months, but there are weird outliers. SWA's giving you a bit more than that to use the fare; Spirit gives you only 6 months; Frontier, weirdly, will give you $50 in vouchers in addition to your fare.

The legacy carriers seem to have the most restrictions (waiving change/cancelation fees only for flights taking place in the next couple months,) but if travel remains inadvisable, I'd expect those policies to continue. Same way the parks are supposed to open in early April right now but lol no one actually expects that.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Watching people on all the passholder groups trying to plan their next vacation is absolutely maddening.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
are there good deals now? it seems like it’s too early in this for good deals

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey, I'm gonna catch the plague sooner rather than later. I'm gonna get my Disney on once I have those sweet sweet antibodies following through my veins.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I just thought of something; when Disney does open it might be low capacity for awhile?

My reasoning is that the whole world is on unofficial vacation,furlong,T.P.O.,etc. You think when business starts up again people are gonna just go on official vacation, I doubt it. Especially if people got rehired or were forced to use their paid time off.

Me thinks Disney is going to have to sweet talk the locals once again to go into the parks with deals and such?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You have to consider 3 million people are jobless as of this week (likely a lot more unreported). The bigger problem will be a lot of people won't have money to go.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

couldcareless posted:

You have to consider 3 million people are jobless as of this week (likely a lot more unreported). The bigger problem will be a lot of people won't have money to go.

Goes without saying, and probably goes in the Florida thread, but the optimist in me wants believe that most businesses won't disappear after pandemic is over and will rehire most if not all former employees.

Then realist in me knows this is a capitalist hellhole and many will shutdown forever and those that survive will be hiring with worse contracts than what the employee had before("look at the 3m labour pool I can pull from, now sign on the dotted line and accept your paycut and worse benefits")

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Quixotic1 posted:

I just thought of something; when Disney does open it might be low capacity for awhile?

WDW will be low capacity for a few reasons. Lots of people are losing incomes. I'm sure spending rates will plummet even after the economy restarts; economic catastrophe is real good at getting people to save (the savings rate just about doubled after the financial collapse). This is more specific to WDW but - people don't plan expensive vacations on a month's notice, and it feels unlikely we're going to get much more than that for re-opening. If a few more cases of corona are linked to the parks, its possible they'll take a more lingering reputation hit.

At the end of the day, though, almost every part of this is unprecedented. There's never been an economic downturn like this, there's never been an epidemic like this, the parks have never experienced a disruption of schedule like this. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out, in a "may you live in interesting times" sort of way

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Reminder that since it’s existence, Disneyland only closed down 3 times, and Disney World a few more than that (generally for a day or two due to hurricanes). This event is wholly unprecedented for so many reasons.

I would not be surprised if Disney decreases ticket prices in the next year to try and encourage more park goers.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/frankpallotta/status/1243622609297825803

Not reopening anytime soon

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disney has not said if they're paying employees beyond March 31st. If they don't, the unions will threaten to shut that poo poo down whenever Disney tries to reopen. They're still in negotiations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Disney has not said if they're paying employees beyond March 31st. If they don't, the unions will threaten to shut that poo poo down whenever Disney tries to reopen. They're still in negotiations.

it says in that very statement that they're being paid through at least April 18, no?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tatsuta Age posted:

it says in that very statement that they're being paid through at least April 18, no?

Yep, paid through the 18th but no reopening date currently and no word what happens after the 18th.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

not the one my wife got sent, but she's in the pastry - culinary union. I hope that's current and correct though.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
SeaWorld (All of the parks, including Busch Gardens) won't pay past April 1st, 90% of the staff will be furloughed.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/27/seaworld-furloughs-90-of-employees-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-closures/

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

not the one my wife got sent, but she's in the pastry - culinary union. I hope that's current and correct though.

I hope they do right by your wife; all companies, but especially big companies that can EASILY afford it, really should take care of their people in all this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

yep she just got the message with the confirmation for payment through the 18th as well.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Atricks posted:

SeaWorld (All of the parks, including Busch Gardens) won't pay past April 1st, 90% of the staff will be furloughed.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/27/seaworld-furloughs-90-of-employees-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-closures/

huh, just more reasons not to go to seaworld-owned properties.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I can only hope they reopen for May...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Clawtopsy posted:

I can only hope they reopen for May...

I wouldn’t count on it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Way to potentially ruin my engagement, horrific virus!! :argh:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

Way to potentially ruin my engagement, horrific virus!! :argh:

I’m probably going to have to change my entire wedding if it makes you feel better. :sigh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My husband is still stuck across the country from me with no hope of returning home for several months :colbert:

Walt Disney World for Lonely Hearts

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So if you had a Disney World reservation booked for arrival from March 16 to May 31, you can reschedule that reservation for anytime between June 1 and Sept 30 and get a free dining plan. You (or your travel agent) have to call in and make the change.

"Eligible Guests can take advantage of a vacation package offer that includes accommodations at a select Disney Resort hotel, park admission and a Disney dining plan – valid for arrivals most nights June 1 through September 30, 2020 when you book through May 31, 2020.

This offer is valid only for Guests who booked a vacation package or room reservation to stay at a Disney Resort hotel from March 16 through May 31, 2020 (even if the park opens before then). Offer not valid for reservations cancelled before March 1, 2020."

So I guess that's something?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I take that to mean that the parks probably won’t be reopening until June?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

At the earliest. Depends on how April goes.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Eugh. That’s such a pain. We’d originally booked May because the heat wouldn’t be too bad and we’d miss the school holidays crowd. Now, if we move it into that window we’re probably going to lose our main fastpasses and dining reservations, but if we wait and hope there’s no promise of things getting better.

Plus the addition of summer heat and summer crowds.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

I really doubt that crowds will be a thing whenever Disney reopens, unless the US economy threads the needle and beats coronavirus without sliding into a recession.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Lol recession is already here. If less than 50% of small businesses close as a result of this I'll be amazed.

My withdrawals for basically everything are already something fierce. I'd kill to be waiting in an hour long line for pirates right now.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Clawtopsy posted:

Eugh. That’s such a pain. We’d originally booked May because the heat wouldn’t be too bad and we’d miss the school holidays crowd. Now, if we move it into that window we’re probably going to lose our main fastpasses and dining reservations, but if we wait and hope there’s no promise of things getting better.

You have until May 31st to book this offer. Wait and see what happens with coronavirus.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rationally, you're looking at August. They're rebooking for June in the hopes that people will be able to transfer spring break vacations into summer vacations with the kids. The chances are that they won't happen and they know that. But they're hoping they do.

May is supposed to be when things will be their worst here in the US, looking at figures and maps and all that mass of data. Who knows.

Braks: You hear anything about Adventures or Aulani? because I haven't and those look to be dead a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

All I’ve heard is what Disney has sent out. Closed until further notice.