Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Italy here, I just skimmed this thread but I'm pretty sure you've all been underestimating this poo poo from the beginning.

I've been working from home since Feb24th and in all this time I've left the house just to face the increasingly longer supermarket lines, only to restock reasonable amounts of essentials. I'm obviously lucky because I'm a freelancer and a teacher, I've been teaching exclusively online classes so far.

Government has warned us yesterday that restrictive measures could potentially extend well into July.

This is Milano, my city, one of the busiest in Italy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CDHYiLdd_0

Our public health system is surprisingly one of the best in the world and still it's collapsing under the weight of this poo poo. I cant even imagine how many people are going to die over there in the US with your stupid "gently caress you I got mine" mentality. I'm no patriot, I hate this loving racist and ignorant country (Italy) but at least even this country of idiots has understood the gravity of the situation.

There's no other solution right now apart from staying the gently caress home and limiting the spread at all costs. it's ugly, people are dying, people will lose jobs and the economy is going to be hosed up but we stay the gently caress home because it's the only thing working.

stop underestimating this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

necroid posted:

Government has warned us yesterday that restrictive measures could potentially extend well into July.

Jesus loving hell.

necroid
May 14, 2009

yeah your orange idiot saying 15 days is loving infuriating

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

Man, remember when you were a kid, and the ending of the velveteen rabbit was so sad, because they took the rabbit that had disease on it and threw it in the fire. You probably cried and stuff. And you had no idea that when you were a grown-up that the US president was gonna do that to your grandma

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

maybe she'll get reincarnated as a company and then she'll be real

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Are people in your city still not wearing masks for fear of the stigma of looking like a sick person? My dad in the UK has a bunch of masks on hand but doesn't wear them like we do in HK because he doesn't want to stand out looking like a sick person, especially as a chinese man in a western country. Meanwhile 99% of Taiwanese/HKers are wearing masks on the daily when going outside.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
every guy i know thinks theyre skilled enough to settle in some uninhabited part of the woods. not a single one of them doesnt. a guy at work was telling me how he could make a fire using only primitive tools and i had to point out that if he wasnt smart enough to bring several reliable-as-gently caress bic lighters he was already a dead man in the woods and that im surprised he can scavenge a dinner out of a fridge

necroid
May 14, 2009

Kill All Cops posted:

Are people in your city still not wearing masks for fear of the stigma of looking like a sick person? My dad in the UK has a bunch of masks on hand but doesn't wear them like we do in HK because he doesn't want to stand out looking like a sick person, especially as a chinese man in a western country. Meanwhile 99% of Taiwanese/HKers are wearing masks on the daily when going outside.

masks have been sold out everywhere for many weeks, people have been using them pretty much from the beginning and those who still have them use them regularly. my point is, the streets are unbelievably empty and they've been like this for a long time luckily: avoiding contact >>> wearing a mask

your dad in the UK shouldn't be worrying about standing out as a sick person because he shouldn't be outside at all if he can.

my ex lives in London and I can only hope she's staying safe despite the yellow idiot over there minimizing all this for far too long.

as for the boomer remover thing : there's 30 yo people dying in ICUs too

bort
Mar 13, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

every guy i know thinks theyre skilled enough to settle in some uninhabited part of the woods.
I had a little hubris about this until I watched Alone on the History channel. Even serious experts struggle for basic needs, and the particularly skilled ones who get their needs filled often crack up mentally. Fishing is hard, gathering plants is hard, not poisoning yourself with water is hard, not getting wet and freezing to death is hard. If you figure all that out, the relentless grind of doing that every day and not wasting calories, desperate loneliness and nothing to do will break you.

The fire thing is :rolleyes:, there was one competitor who was doing really well and basically threw in the towel when he lost his steel. The other dumb thing is that if this were an option right now, there'd be enormous competition for resources and they'd probably struggle to find a stick of firewood.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

MarcusSA posted:

Jesus loving hell.

Sure. In Norway I heard from a doc I work with that the health service are planning on measures to last 6 to 12 months at the minimum to have the desired effect of minimizing casualties.

We'll see. I have a feeling that once some countries start prioritizing economy over lives the rest will have to follow and we get some sort of backlash.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Kill All Cops posted:

Meanwhile in australia, even having a used mask for the past 3 months has been a pipe dream.

Soon it will be like running out of masks in metro 2033 and you're running around topside grabbing an extra 30 seconds of breathing off dead bodies

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pnutz posted:

Meanwhile in australia, even having a used mask for the past 3 months has been a pipe dream.

Soon it will be like running out of masks in metro 2033 and you're running around topside grabbing an extra 30 seconds of breathing off dead bodies

You must go alone Artyom I'm out... I'm out of TP

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

necroid posted:

we literally can't, when our healthcare system is collapsing Trump will be talking about how the illness is being dealt with adequately and the high death rate is all a Democrat hoax, then the half of the country that laps up his rancid bullshit will start fake-coughing in each others' faces as a joke.

one day your country will be out of the woods; on that day you should ban flights from North America

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sure. In Norway I heard from a doc I work with that the health service are planning on measures to last 6 to 12 months at the minimum to have the desired effect of minimizing casualties.

We'll see. I have a feeling that once some countries start prioritizing economy over lives the rest will have to follow and we get some sort of backlash.

There is no way they'll be able to keep these measures up for six months. People won't stand for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

uguu posted:

People won't stand for it.

You are right on that.

They will be laying down either dead or hosed up from just the flu bro.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

necroid posted:

yeah your orange idiot saying 15 days is loving infuriating

It's so he can blame it on doctors, scientists and democrats when this last longer.

"personally I would have ended it after 15 days. They are overblowing it because they want to destroy our beautiful economy"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i can see a situation like china where you get your temperature scanned everywhere you go, there's a huge cultural shift to wearing masks, and neighborhoods that have infections pop up are sealed off with controlled entrance / access points for residents only.

just as the GWOT led to a whole slew of new surveillance systems, so will this

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a quick google and apparently it's super easy to take a lethal overdose of this stuff if you gently caress up the dosage. Stories about kids who took double the recommended dosage and died within hours, etc etc.. There's also some indication that individual tolerances might also vary wildly.

Given that pills that those elderly people chugged were intended to treat an entire koi pond I'm guessing they had quite a kick to them.

*Checks weight*
Yeah I'd say I'm at about 1 and a half ponds

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
when we emerge from this we might be in a total recall kind of world where every mcdonalds has a glass screen where the registers used to be, all ordering is punch screen only, and you get scanned before you can order

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Jesus loving hell.

It's going to be chaos, also good luck with having elections in November.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They already have phone ordering and table service, just scale that up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Remember how freaked out people got when China jumped by 15k cases in a day?

Why I see no reason to doubt China! The disease follows exponential growth models everywhere else, but for some completely mysterious reason not in China. Must be Xi Jinping's magical aura suppressing it.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

gary oldmans diary posted:

every guy i know thinks theyre skilled enough to settle in some uninhabited part of the woods. not a single one of them doesnt. a guy at work was telling me how he could make a fire using only primitive tools and i had to point out that if he wasnt smart enough to bring several reliable-as-gently caress bic lighters he was already a dead man in the woods and that im surprised he can scavenge a dinner out of a fridge

I have an old friend who went a bit infowars :tinfoil: on things like 10 years ago always used to post all those smugposts about how we all city dwellers are hosed and how he will laugh at is from his hidden prepper mountain hideout (you know posting quotes like "Oh you have a degree in sociology? Guess we'll eat you first" kinda guy) is basically posting memes on facebook non-stop.

Last time I saw him was like 8 years ago and he was near 140 kg (claimed that it was all muscle) and I can only imagine the only thing he's prepping is takeouts these days.

That being said, I can imagine some rednecks in rural Montana polishing their rifles and looking at their canned soup stocks with a :smug: grin.

Oh god, we're living in the bad ending of Farcry 5, aren't we?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Saw a theory that a lot of covid-patients are dying from secondary microbial infections and that death rates track well with resistance to antibiotics. That would be very bad news for the US, no?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Oh, and Prince Charles has it.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Mnoba posted:

what are the doing for victims of corona virus who die for a funeral? the deceased is both contagious and you aren't allowed gatherings, are the just sol?

This is from pages back, but I actually happen to work in a pretty large cemetery in the US.
We have like 20 groundskeepers and they've put us on an A-B-A-B rotating schedule for now, but they're so disorganized that I'm not sure how long it'll last.
The last funerals I've seen (past week) still had plenty of people there, at least 30+, all bunched up under the tent.

They've been talking about setting up several areas where family can come and do a little memorial thing, but separated from the lawns, where caskets will be lowered into the ground without having a gathering or tent setup.

I don't think they'll ask people to limit their group sizes.

When asked about possible hazards from handling the caskets, we were told, "you will be protected", which probably means "just bring your gloves and a hoodie".

Anyway I'm just looking forward to staying home every other day until the bodies really start pouring in because our government is encouraging its citizens to die needlessly. Then working all the time and maybe getting sick.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mnoba posted:

what are the doing for victims of corona virus who die for a funeral? the deceased is both contagious and you aren't allowed gatherings, are the just sol?

I read about funeral homes in Vienna (including the one owned by the city) putting up smartphones and live-streaming the funeral for people at home.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rear end cobra posted:

Saw a theory that a lot of covid-patients are dying from secondary microbial infections and that death rates track well with resistance to antibiotics. That would be very bad news for the US, no?

What's it gonna do in countries where they sell antiobiotics by the bag like india ?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Mentioned it in the cspam thread but my state got put on a stay-at-home order. But the list of exempted businesses was basically everything, and there was enough wiggle room for most things to declare themselves essential

Yesterday I got paperwork to keep in my car saying I'm working on "essential infrastructure" as an electrician. It's a pharma lab that won't be done til June at the earliest.

There were as many cars on the road as normal this morning when the order took effect. Despite that yesterday we had 365 confirmed cases - 12x as much as this time last week

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

rear end cobra posted:

if you ever wanted an event to highlight just how bad healthcare in the US is, this is it.

too bad biden is gonna get the nomination

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish people here in Canada would take precautions.

Almost every day I see a new province/city declaring a state of emergency because people aren't being safe and/or are actively trying to spread the virus.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Achtane posted:

This is from pages back, but I actually happen to work in a pretty large cemetery in the US.
We have like 20 groundskeepers and they've put us on an A-B-A-B rotating schedule for now, but they're so disorganized that I'm not sure how long it'll last.
The last funerals I've seen (past week) still had plenty of people there, at least 30+, all bunched up under the tent.

They've been talking about setting up several areas where family can come and do a little memorial thing, but separated from the lawns, where caskets will be lowered into the ground without having a gathering or tent setup.

I don't think they'll ask people to limit their group sizes.

When asked about possible hazards from handling the caskets, we were told, "you will be protected", which probably means "just bring your gloves and a hoodie".

Anyway I'm just looking forward to staying home every other day until the bodies really start pouring in because our government is encouraging its citizens to die needlessly. Then working all the time and maybe getting sick.

When the bodies get bad you will be staying home because the national guard will be throwing us into mass graves.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rear end cobra posted:

The was what killed a lot of people with the 1918 flu pandemic, too. Hell, it almost put me in the hospital after I got the 2009 H1N1. Post viral pneumonia sucks.

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's it gonna do in countries where they sell antiobiotics by the bag like india ?

It’s another reason to think China’s public death rates are a load of crap, they sell antibiotics basically OTC.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

rear end cobra posted:

Oh, and Prince Charles has it.

Covid19 - By Royal Appointment

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There is a new, substantial study, saying that N95 masks can be stelilized of the virus by cooking @ 160F for 30 min

Less substantial study saying you can sterilize by putting masks outside for 3 hours, rotating every 30 min due to UV from the sun

I don't take responsibility if you die from the roni, but hope this helps

Also, you should be able to decontaminate a mask by taking it out of use for 72 hours, but whatever. Kind of odd that hospitals are "running out" of masks. We leave our groceries in the entry hall for 3 days to disinfect.

edit: apparently a dry rice cooker will heat to ~165F which makes for an easy covid-19 sanitizer

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 25, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Lambert posted:

I read about funeral homes in Vienna (including the one owned by the city) putting up smartphones and live-streaming the funeral for people at home.

I visited the catacombs in Vienna a little while ago.

It’s nice that it’s getting modernized finally

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Covid19 - By Royal Appointment

So is Diana-kid 1 now the next in line when the queen inevitably gets it?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

mrfart posted:

So is Diana-kid 1 now the next in line when the queen inevitably gets it?

Yeah, the ugly one
(who's dad actually is Charles, not the handsome one with a different dad and who hosed off as the UK sucks so hard ))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Hadlock posted:

There is a new, substantial study, saying that N95 masks can be stelilized of the virus by cooking @ 160F for 30 min

Less substantial study saying you can sterilize by putting masks outside for 3 hours, rotating every 30 min due to UV from the sun

I don't take responsibility if you die from the roni, but hope this helps

Also, you should be able to decontaminate a mask by taking it out of use for 72 hours, but whatever. Kind of odd that hospitals are "running out" of masks. We leave our groceries in the entry hall for 3 days to disinfect.

edit: apparently a dry rice cooker will heat to ~165F which makes for an easy covid-19 sanitizer

you are better off going to a piercing studio that has a proper autoclave to do that but uhhh theres a reason hospitals aren't doing this, its a pretty big last measure when there aren't any other options and getting new masks cuts down on the human factor of someone screwing up a sterilization and giving everyone 'hot' masks.