Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Neurion posted:

I can't wait for the day, 20 years from now, where the UI gets its major overhaul, and we have long-time fans protesting making things easier for new players because when I was your age we had to use 4 different schemes for navigating up and down menus, and if I could do it then by gum so should you kids.

And we had 4 different keys to look at a tile! And we wanted a fifth one! We didn't know what we wanted it to show but we were sure we wanted it because we knew it wasn't hard enough yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LNP guy has to do a bunch of "work" as a "teacher" to make "remote lesson plans" so it isn't updated to the new version yet :mad:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Zesty posted:

Shame those people. gently caress Gamers.

I want the game more accessible so more people get into it and the Tarn Bros. are more financially secure and continually work on their dream project that I really enjoy and want to see more of.

Agreed, it needs doing and it won't take people long to relearn the keys after a change. The important thing would be to make sure it's done properly and extensibly/future proof first time so you're not constantly asking people to relearn.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Neurion posted:

I can't wait for the day, 20 years from now, where the UI gets its major overhaul, and we have long-time fans protesting making things easier for new players because when I was your age we had to use 4 different schemes for navigating up and down menus, and if I could do it then by gum so should you kids.
I don't think this is going to happen, given that even veteran DF players frequently complain about the UI (Dwarf Therapiat exists for a reason!)

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 24, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Now that Toady is getting help with graphics I could actually see it happening eventually. Before I always warned people to look at the original Slaves to Armok to see what a toady UI would look like

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Oh yeah, the UI revamp could happen someday--IIRC Toady said he hasn't done it yet because he doesn't want it to be obseleted by later changes. I just don't think more than a handful of people would react poorly to a UI revamp, if it happened.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Magic (and maybe myths) first, please.

If for no other reason than the magic probably has specific UI reqs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Elephant Parade posted:

Oh yeah, the UI revamp could happen someday--IIRC Toady said he hasn't done it yet because he doesn't want it to be obseleted by later changes. I just don't think more than a handful of people would react poorly to a UI revamp, if it happened.

That's exactly his explanation. He doesn't want to rip out a placeholder system and replace it with another placeholder.

That's why the military system was such a huge change - he waited until he got the rough "final form" figured out, and replaced it all at once instead of going piecemeal.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

snagged from the unofficial bay12 discord

i think i've finally understood why people seem to think DF is such an inscrutable black box

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Maybe that's the perfect tileset for people who don't need to read the menus anymore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They're byzantine anyways, having the font be incomprehensible hieroglyphs doesn't change much.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CLA is already perfect though

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I've been trying to get a handle on Adventure Mode the last few days stuck at home. I have had the wiki up and getting used to movement, the interface etc but one thing I can't find any documentation is related to the interface elements in the top left (what is that thing?). and what the visual symbols all mean.

For instance, what do the "!" indicate? Sounds I can hear or things that can hear me? Also noticed that the two dogs I had following me in a fortress had these little purple ... I don't know...they looked like tracks behind them? but if I toggled tracking on and off, they didn't mention those tracks. Another unique thing about them is that they appeared only outside of my field of view. If I went back to where I saw them, no looking or searching indicated what they were. Is there more documentation out there somewhere that goes a bit farther in explaining the visual indicators on the screen at any given time? Is there a good recent YT tutorial? I found one that was a couple of years old that was decent but things seem like they have changed quite a bit since it was done.

Also, I have gotten spawned in a fortress twice and died of starvation trying to find the exit. I'm so bad at this but still liking it more than I expected to.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I think toady is just waiting until the game procedurally generates your input, so that an actual UI is no longer necessary.

e: let's be honest here. The "game" is just manually filling in the still empty spaces of the simulation. In fact, I propose that we are all already living in a more advanced release of df.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 25, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Adventure Mode for me is all about becoming a vampire as soon as I can so I don't have to worry about Food/Drink/Sleep(?)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So Math posted:

I embarked in Winter and didn't notice the frozen river was missing a bank.

Everyone wants to drink from the waterfall.

wait until it freezes then patch it up with constructed ice walls

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

so has the game been fixed so that you're not doomed to tantrum spiral way too rapidly? this quarantine is the first time i've really had time to spend on it in a while and i'm itching to strike the earth.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Take preventative measures and put your dwarves in self isolation

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

so has the game been fixed so that you're not doomed to tantrum spiral way too rapidly? this quarantine is the first time i've really had time to spend on it in a while and i'm itching to strike the earth.

Supposedly, yes

Confession time: I haven't played fort mode in years, it's been adventure mode only for me and now that you can start with a slug buddy on your shoulder there's probably no going back.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Toady One posted:

A lot of this week's work was about making the ramps and their shadows better, since it'll be important for people to understand what has been traditionally a very confusing part of the game. 

Ramps 
Here's an example of a more gnarly ramp situation (which would of course be a ton of upward triangles in Classic DF.) We're still working on shadows and transitions, but it's going pretty well, I think. 

More ramps 
Here's another one that also has some hematite (at the north side) and some brown jasper (at the south side). We're hoping to shade the stone around the jasper like the sort of stone it is in, rather than the current lighter color. 

Additionally, we've continued along with workshops and walls. All of the standard 3x3 workshops are displaying in the game now. 

Fort 
Here's a small fort with a carpenter, mason and metalsmith (under construction, with a little bit sticking up above the wall). The smoothed walls use the proper picture now (though the color still needs to match the rough stone), and you can also see a constructed wall made from blocks on the top right. Since many people like to patch up their forts perfectly, and others want constructions to be distinct, the current thinking is to go ahead and allow constructed walls to be smoothed and engraved like regular walls. Engraving constructions is a long-standing request, so even better. 

Many domestic animals 
Finally, in Critter News, we have domestic creatures displaying. I sold all the material in my starting wagon except for a pick and bought up a barnyard full and set them by the water.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

this is exciting

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I kind of feel they need to switch to a rimworld camera angle, these vertical indoor walls are very confusing to me.

E: Not sure how i feel about smoothing & engraving constructed walls. On the one hand the OCD side of me appreciates being able to make things perfect, but on the other hand it was cool to be rewarded for carving out of living stone. Felt much more dwarfy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat, that's a sexy design.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I kind of feel they need to switch to a rimworld camera angle, these vertical indoor walls are very confusing to me.

E: Not sure how i feel about smoothing & engraving constructed walls. On the one hand the OCD side of me appreciates being able to make things perfect, but on the other hand it was cool to be rewarded for carving out of living stone. Felt much more dwarfy.

I'm more thrown off by the fact that buildings and etc have height, but walls do not.

But yes, adopting a 'slightly tilted' Rimworld like style, or perhaps a 2D Zelda one would help the walls a lot. Right now the 2 different perspectives feel at odds with eachother.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Make it look like Ultima Online

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Those look amazing. I know it's probably still a ways off but I will be so excited for the steam release.

On a different note, how deep do you typically build your fortress? I typically build a few z levels below where I first start seeing full stone layers, but I feel like I'm so far from things like lava, the caverns, etc that I can't realistically utilize them. I'm wondering if building deeper in the future might make access to fun stuff easier.

Though I guess pumping lava up 70 or more z levels would be a fun mega project.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wilderthanmild posted:

Those look amazing. I know it's probably still a ways off but I will be so excited for the steam release.

On a different note, how deep do you typically build your fortress? I typically build a few z levels below where I first start seeing full stone layers, but I feel like I'm so far from things like lava, the caverns, etc that I can't realistically utilize them. I'm wondering if building deeper in the future might make access to fun stuff easier.

Though I guess pumping lava up 70 or more z levels would be a fun mega project.
I essentially always build near a volcano so I usually end up pretty near the surface.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I tend to build no more than about 10 z levels down unless I'm doing a gimmick like a cavern fort

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly a mouse navigable UI would do wonders. Maybe even let me scroll the screen with WASD.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

SubNat posted:

I'm more thrown off by the fact that buildings and etc have height, but walls do not.

But yes, adopting a 'slightly tilted' Rimworld like style, or perhaps a 2D Zelda one would help the walls a lot. Right now the 2 different perspectives feel at odds with eachother.

Yes, that's what I meant. External walls have visible height because of the ramps, internal walls do not. The outside looks great, the inside looks like it is platforms over an endless abyss with pebbles lining the edges of the platforms. They said earlier they were wanting the shadows along the edges of the walls to denote the height, but it really isn't enough, especially with the buildings throwing everything off.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The interior did look a bit at odds with the external walls to me until I remembered that the ramps are gentle slopes viewed from above, not vertical walls viewed from a steep angle, which is how my brain wants to parse them.

Imagine you've just sliced off the top of a mountain and are looking down on it.

I wonder if it would help to change the texture of the unknown tiles to something other than flat black...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

DFSteam is going to drop and between it and Animal Crossing, we might just survive

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I tend to build no more than about 10 z levels down unless I'm doing a gimmick like a cavern fort
Back when the caverns were first added and farming on soil was broken, I got into the habit of digging deep shafts all the way to the third cavern layer and situating my fort between it and the magma sea. I'd then build a long spiraling ramp to the surface so the wagons of traders could get down. Instead of having dwarves run up and down 70+ z levels each way at the start, I'd have the stairwell adjacent to a channeled pit, and just use trash dumping to throw everything down to the bottom of the shaft from the wagon, and then have it sorted into stockpiles at the bottom when I reclaimed it. Worked pretty well.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's still probably my favorite gimmick that's actually fun to play. It reminds me of old 2d fortresses when you'd have enemies come up from the river or chasm.

It's also fun to just make a tiny unassuming house on the surface that leads to a massive underground fortress. If only one could make an underground road for migrants.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Had a Marsh Titan show up and got all excited for some potential fun. Got everyone inside and summoned the military to the gates.

Unfortunately he was made of sand and was instantly destroyed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that monsters made from materials actually function like they're made from those materials.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Will overhangs protect against climbers?

Like, if my walls are

OO
O
O

built like that, as viewed from the side.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, but not

OO
O

because that will let them just jump the one level they need to in order to grab straight onto the overhang.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

when does the steam version come oht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to clear out cavern plants when they start growing in my dirt layers?