Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Awesome thanks! Also thanks to Guavanaut!

Edit: poo poo, first ever snipe.
The 215 bus goes from Walthamstow station to Lee Valley Campsite, bringing with it Coronavirus as this was felt to be a more economically suitable vehicle of delivery than a pale horse. All hale the four bus drivers of the Apocalypse.

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

sebzilla posted:

They're shutting down parliament early for Easter, I think.

The one time it would make sense to keep it going to deal with things.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

VideoGames posted:

The one time it would make sense to keep it going to deal with things.

Standard practice under Johnson's leadership though

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

CoG plans were only ever makework for the more neurotic class of civil servant, even the most "limited" war would have put us back to medieval levels of population and technology no matter how much planning we did and the people at the top knew and accepted that. There's even an interpretation of the lack of stockpiling of things like Iodine that they didn't *want* survivors, or at least want people to survive any longer than they would have, because injured people need more resources than uninjured ones and we were basically going to have to get every single calorie by hand.

I have to wonder if this kind of fatalistic approach rubbed off on the civil servants having to make plans for other contingencies, or if it's just ordinary denial and incompetence.

I mean, we are a tiny island, with nukes, pretty much right next to Russia, and a potential and actual Airstrip 1 for the US - they still have a bunch of bases here even today. Look up the nuclea planning for potential WW3 scenarios - basically the whole of the UK was going to get nuked, end to end, with 4 minutes warning at best. We would have been hosed. Only place potentially worse off is West Germany.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Johnson’s working from home, his press conferences are going to be Facebook live videos. Probably why they tested remote questioning yesterday.

(May not be entirely true)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I mean, we are a tiny island, with nukes, pretty much right next to Russia, and a potential and actual Airstrip 1 for the US - they still have a bunch of bases here even today. Look up the nuclea planning for potential WW3 scenarios - basically the whole of the UK was going to get nuked, end to end, with 4 minutes warning at best. We would have been hosed. Only place potentially worse off is West Germany.

Hence the reason for the harrier jet, because it doesn't need an airfield to take off from, on the assumption all the UK and west german ones would be glass in minutes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

Hell raiser meatballs

I kind of want to make spaghetti and meatballs now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just had a wonderful and terrible thought.

Norman Tebbit.

E: NORMANT TEBBIT

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

I kind of want to make spaghetti and meatballs now
we have such sides to show you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1242789691533021186?s=21

UC infrastructure working well there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1242744894717939713

Jeremy Covid at it again.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

how long does applying for UC take? because even at 10 minutes a time that's 10 days of waiting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Motorbikes are the best.

And you cant trust what this person says as they have a really crap bike, imagine how good a really cool bike is.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Julio Cruz posted:

how long does applying for UC take? because even at 10 minutes a time that's 10 days of waiting

I did it the other day, I got the queue at midday and just left the page open all day long, by around 10pm it was my turn and the page beeped loudly at me. Made my account and then didnt have to queue anymore, could just log in.

Of course that only works if you have reliable internet access

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Uhhh someone unpack this for me here. You have to queue to fill out an online form?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:sickos:

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm thinking Coronavirus might be the push we need to finally go cashless (apart from the fact that nobody will be left with any money). Most shops that are still open aren't taking cash, so the people who avoid electronic payments because "cash is more convenient" aren't left with any choice. In the long term when we're looking at preparing for the next epidemic, physical cash and the hand contact you get when handing it over is going to be an obvious red flag. We're most of the way there already, so there's no legitimate reason not to go the full distance. Criminals can just suck it up and use bitcoin.

Can children get contact payment enabled bank cards?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Took the boy out to the woods for our daily exercise ration and it's such a gorgeous day, it's really lifted my mood. :unsmith:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

They've stopped the orange marches?

How will the :lol: have any identity? They'll forget what the Union Flag looks like, they'll forget what happened in 1689, they'll start thinking they might be Icelandic or Zulu.

This one?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lungboy posted:

That app asks for a load of unnecessary info and shares it with a huge list of companies so use at your own risk.

I was wondering whether the app will be used to track cases and hotspots in the same way they've been doing in Singapore.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Alan G posted:

Can children get contact payment enabled bank cards?

gohenry? it's just a prepaid visa type card that you can top up for them via the app.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Quick question that I don't imagine anyone will be able to answer confidently given how vague everything is, but if my self employment income has dried up EXCEPT for a very small little part, am I better off stopping that small part as well in case the government goes "look you're still working, no 80% for you, no SSP, gently caress off"? Got really worried all of a sudden and losing the potential long term support for a tiny amount right now that might not even carry on would be... not so great.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009
Can anyone here explain exactly how we're supposed to "Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" but also continue to go out to work every day?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

analphabetic posted:

Can anyone here explain exactly how we're supposed to "Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" but also continue to go out to work every day?

Patriotically.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

As someone who grew up in the era of Threads (and has a well-documented unhealthy obsession with trivia) you better believe I've read every single word there is about it.

Perhaps the most telling detail of all our WW3 planning is that when we still had the V-bomber force the mission profile was supposed to be for them to drop/launch, then return, refuel and rearm and go off again. They practiced it, constantly, working out how to get the planes turned around quicker than a Spitfire at the height of the Battle of Britain. Except there weren't enough warheads at any time in the inventory to do this. They could have supplied enough easily, but they knew the chances of the airfields - or any bit of road long enough to land a Vulcan on - being anything other than a faintly-glowing cloud heading over the North Sea were zero.

The best bit is even when they tried to put their thumb on the scale and pretend like we could survive, for example with Square Leg, the Thatcher-dictated update of previous transition-to-war planning which pretended for some reason the Soviets would only use about 20% of the warheads likely to be pointing at us and ignore Whitehall but give Eastbourne a megaton enema, we *still* end up with 50% of the population dead from direct effects of the blast and radiation (and absolutely no attempt to calculate how many would then be dead from starvation).

Also FRG would actually have been *less* hosed than the British Isles because the Soviets had a purely counter-force (targeting concentrations of armour and known nuclear weapons sites only) rather than a combined counter-force and counter-value (large logistical centres and deliberate targeting of civilian populations) strategy planned for them. They were of the opinion that FRG would surrender quickly once the nukes started flying and wanted to minimise the amount of fallout dropping on them in the prevailing winds.

Incidentally, to head off the inevitable whinge from north of the border - Clydeside and Glasgow would have got vaporised if no nuclear weapon had ever been within a hundred miles of Holy Loch. It's a major population centre, was at the time the centre of the UK shipbuilding industry, and would have been a major port in the event of the main ones getting nuked. Even an independent Scotland would have been completely hosed in a post-nuclear world, just more slowly and painfully than otherwise.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

analphabetic posted:

very carefully

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

very carefully

At a social distance too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

analphabetic posted:

You can leave to go to work, go for a walk, and go to the shops, but you can't do mass gatherings or house parties or anything.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As someone who grew up in the era of Threads (and has a well-documented unhealthy obsession with trivia) you better believe I've read every single word there is about it.
Weren't they later shown to be vastly overegging the effects of nuclear winter and long term radioactivity?

Like the first half is probably true, we'd be totally hosed infrastructure wise and most of the population would die, but the "and no crops would grow for the next few years because of the dust, and even ten years later there's no ozone layer because the writer's room said so" is a lot more :crossarms:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

They would have nuked every city, motorway, airport, dock, military base, power plant etc so in Britain there really is nowhere to go.

Stockpiles of nukes are huge, and you don't half measure something like launching nukes. They're all pre-aimed at us. Probably even the Americans have some aimed at us.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's an article in the FT today saying that most other European countries have really not shut down work either. France's guidance is similar to ours - only go to work if you can't work from home. Factories etc are open or reopening, construction is still going on. In Spain the shops and many workplaces are still open.

It's not the UK being uniquely awful on this issue.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009
Didn't they originally say for essential work only at first, but App Hancock last night seemed to be saying that we should all continue going out to work? It's not like most people can just stop going. They really dont know what they're doing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

analphabetic posted:

Didn't they originally say for essential work only at first, but App Hancock last night seemed to be saying that we should all continue going out to work? It's not like most people can just stop going. They really dont know what they're doing.

There's really not very clear guidance on who is a key worker and what is a key industry and the government is taking no action to enforce anything because it can't until the bill passes but it probably won't afterwards anyway. It's a goddamn mess and will come with a deathtoll.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Crazy coincidence how much nicer the weather is since we shut down so much industry and traffic (air traffic in particular).

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Jippa posted:

Are the normal bins being still being collected?

My garden waste bin was not collected this week. We are in the end times

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Saw the black bin wagon today. Don't know about recycling.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

Saw the black bin wagon today. Don't know about recycling.

I'd guess it varies from council to council. Ours says it will continue normal bin collections but it won't start the garden waste collection as planned at Easter, and one tip has closed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The government handwringing over paying self employed people is pissing me off. Just give everyone a standard living wage already.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009

namesake posted:

There's really not very clear guidance on who is a key worker and what is a key industry and the government is taking no action to enforce anything because it can't until the bill passes but it probably won't afterwards anyway. It's a goddamn mess and will come with a deathtoll.

Yeah, it just seems bizarre that they'll say to the public "theres a potentially deadly virus spreading around the country, so dont go anywhere" and also "but just continue to travel to work every day as normal"

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday night that the public “must stay at home” unless they work in a key sector or industry."

analphabetic fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 25, 2020

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sassassin posted:

Crazy coincidence how much nicer the weather is since we shut down so much industry and traffic (air traffic in particular).

Air traffic doesn't affect air quality, for the same reason it produces more CO2 - planes spend most of their time high up in the air where their emissions never interact with the ground. The improvement is just down to less driving around, especially with lorries - not kicking out brake dust or NOX to choke out lungs with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
coronavirus