Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

James Stokoe and Skottie Young come to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

site posted:

Ghost panther person

Jefte Palo

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
John Romita, Jr. And his distinctive nose bridges and rectangular fingertips.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe a productive addition to the question so you don't get a list of literally a thousand names of people with distinct art styles is

a) What webcomics/non-American comics/etc. do you enjoy for their distinct art styles
b) What American comics have you read where all of the art looks the same?

I feel like if you think Ditko/Kirby/Miller/Sienkiewicz all sort of blended together with everyone else doing superhero comics, trying to give examples of how Dan Jurgens and Kevin Nowlan and Sal Buscema and Bill Sienkiewicz all have distinct art styles (and how sometimes they work together to interest effect) might not be productive.

I don’t think that Ditko/Kirby/etc all blend together, those were just the few names I recognized and could probably recognize from the art. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough there.

It’s been awhile since I’ve really actively read webcomics, but I like Gunnerkrigg Court and Paranatural. I loved The Adventures of Dr McNinja when that was running but I admit that it wasn’t exactly the art that kept me reading it. I have a much larger reference point for distinctive manga I enjoy; I really like Mob Psycho 100 by ONE and Hi Score Girl by Rensuke Oshikiri, even if they look kinda ugly on the first glance (and second glance, in the case if Hi Score Girl). For the more traditionally gorgeous art, I really love the art of Ryoko Kui (Delicious in Dungeon) and Aki Irie (Ran and the Gray World)

I admit, I don’t have a big enough knowledge of American comics to be able to think of two books/artists that are examples of what I feel are good examples of being kinda homogeneous off the top of my head. Part of the problem is I’m definitely not hugely familiar with them and part of it is they tend to blend together in my head because not a lot of the art stuck out/spoke to me

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think that Ditko/Kirby/etc all blend together, those were just the few names I recognized and could probably recognize from the art. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough there.

It’s been awhile since I’ve really actively read webcomics, but I like Gunnerkrigg Court and Paranatural. I loved The Adventures of Dr McNinja when that was running but I admit that it wasn’t exactly the art that kept me reading it. I have a much larger reference point for distinctive manga I enjoy; I really like Mob Psycho 100 by ONE and Hi Score Girl by Rensuke Oshikiri, even if they look kinda ugly on the first glance (and second glance, in the case if Hi Score Girl). For the more traditionally gorgeous art, I really love the art of Ryoko Kui (Delicious in Dungeon) and Aki Irie (Ran and the Gray World)

I admit, I don’t have a big enough knowledge of American comics to be able to think of two books/artists that are examples of what I feel are good examples of being kinda homogeneous off the top of my head. Part of the problem is I’m definitely not hugely familiar with them and part of it is they tend to blend together in my head because not a lot of the art stuck out/spoke to me

If those are ones you like, then you will probably love Kill 6 Billion Demons. The first three books were collected by Image Comics, but he's still updating twice weekly. His art's really evolved over the years as well (much like the football head-ed Annie of GC to today's Annie).

Start from the beginning, but here's the first page of the the current chapter so you can see how his art's evolved. I'd post a certain page from the previous chapter, but I didn't want t spoil it if you read up to that point.
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/KOS70-71.jpg

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yes, ty

Tell your editors to throw him some more work

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
If memory serves, I think he has something coming up.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

How Wonderful! posted:

I'd suggest checking out the Good/Bad Comic Art thread for a lot of examples that are, for better or worse, singular.

Anyway for a few artists I like and find immediately distinctive:
Erica Henderson

(Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #44

Except this is Derek Charm.

This is Erica Henderson:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Except this is Derek Charm.

This is Erica Henderson:

Yikes, my bad! I'll edit my post, thanks for catching this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, that's a Samurai Jack reference in that first Squirrel Girl panel. A good one, too.

Boy do I miss Mako.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Edge & Christian posted:

I have a copy of the Comicfest 93 program on its way so I'll be able to give you everyone's rankings, but for now here's a contemporary account of the convention, including the TODD MCFARLANE VS. PETER DAVID DEBATE that was the thing that actually got the most attention coming out of the show.
I have received my copy of the Comicfest 93 program!

Other than the wording, it doesn't strike me as that crazy compared to how 99% of conventions/festivals/etc. promote their guests; in the same way some names are bigger than others on a Coachella poster, the Comicfest Philly program devotes a full page spotlighting the products and panels of its Premier Sponsors (Marvel, DC, Image, Wizard, Diamond, some trading card companies, Defiant, Malibu, DAGGER COMICS and then a half page bio/photo of all of the Featured Guests.

Where it breaks down is the pages where they list all of the hoi polloi non-featured guests, who are all just shoved onto a double page spread and have headers of

GUESTS IN BIOGRAPHY LEVEL B: Presumably they meant to give these people a bio blurb and never got around to it because they sold too many ads.

GUESTS IN POPULARITY LEVEL C

GUESTS IN POPULARITY LEVEL D

This was presumably meant to be internal prioritization of guests in the program/promotions, and someone hosed up by actually printing it. The contemporary accounts made it sound like there was a little 16th page box that says "Steve Gerber: People loved his Howard the Duck, but now he's writing some dumbass book called Sludge at Ultraverse. STAR RATING: C-"

Anyway, noteworthy rankings:

A-List people: Jon Bogdanove (he draws Superman!), David Lapham (co-creator of Plasm!), Mark "Shultz" (Cadillacs and Dinosaurs will be the next TMNT!)

B-Listers: Michael Manley ("co-creator of Dard Hawk"), Steve Gerber ("Writer of Sludge")

C-Listers: Steve Englehart, Archie Goodwin, Mike Manley ("co-creator of Darkhawk), Dwayne McDuffie

D-Listers: Steve Lieber, Jeff Parker, Todd Klein

The whole thing really is remarkably shoddy, there's a three page article talking about both the investment potential of signed comic books and also etiquette for getting them at the con. Taking up a significant amount of space on these three pages are photos of Mark Bagley, Jeff Smith, and "John Bryne" signing comics. None of these three men appear to have been at Comicsfest 93, and none of them are interviewed for the article.

Anyway, this was all very dumb but not as exciting as I hoped it would be.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Oh man, It totally skipped my mind that Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber have been in comics for decades and did a double take when I saw their names. 1993!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s the current Spider-Man status quo? Is Peter poor and single again?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the current Spider-Man status quo? Is Peter poor and single again?

I think he's living with Mary Jane again.

I just reread Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man, has anyone outside of it done anything with Jameson knowing Parker is Spider-Man?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I think he's living with Mary Jane again.

He's sharing an apartment with Robbie Robertson's son (can't remember his name) and Boomerang

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Despite being written by Nick Spencer, it's good.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Peter and MJ are together but doing the long distance thing right now because she's in Hollywood shooting a movie with Mysterio.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Spider-Man is pretty good right now and the Mary Jane series is wonderful.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is “Venom” the symbiote’s real name? Did Peter name it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beerdeer posted:

Is “Venom” the symbiote’s real name? Did Peter name it?

Venom is the name they chose to go by as a combined entity. I'm sure it has a stupid retconned name.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

isn't the Venom symbiote's real name KLYNTAR

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

isn't the Venom symbiote's real name KLYNTAR

No, that's the stupid name BENDIS! came up with for their race.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Venom seems like wasted potential to me. Admittedly, I haven't read a ton of Venom but it seems like writers forgot that the symbiote can mimic regular clothing. That scene in ASM 300 with him in priest's robes in the belltower is iconic to me. He became less interesting to me the moment that an artist decided that the symbiote adds mass to its host (and he was given that dumb long tongue). He was originally jacked because Eddie Brock got swole in prison. I remember distinctly reading that issue as a kid and my imagination went nuts with the possibilities that this new villain presented. Now he's just a generic strong guy in Spider-Man's old costume.

Then Carnage showed up and he was just a poo poo knockoff EXTREME character and then oh jesus now there's like five more of them all with super edgy names and they all have Spider-Man eyes for no reason I can discern and there's a symbiote-god now and while we're at it let's remove all the mystery about the symbiote race and god drat it comics

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Did marvel ever go anywhere with wolverine's hot claws and that new villain after he resurrected? I fell away from marvel for a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Did marvel ever go anywhere with wolverine's hot claws and that new villain after he resurrected? I fell away from marvel for a while.

I didn't follow all of his resurrection bullshit, but I've read almost every issue of every X-Men thing since Hickman got the reins (I didn't read all of Fallen Angels, but I don't think original flavor Wolverine was in that at all) and the Hot Claws have come up literally zero times and I have no idea what new villain you are talking about. There's a psychic Pale Lady in his new solo book that seems like a new villain but maybe it's related?

Also he's died and been resurrected at least twice since Hickman's taken over the line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the rumors was that he was channeling hellfire since he'd died and gone to hell. Another was that he was the new Phoenix. I'm sure the actual explanation was dumb as poo poo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How many heroes have a story where they come back from hell at some point?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

One of the rumors was that he was channeling hellfire since he'd died and gone to hell. Another was that he was the new Phoenix. I'm sure the actual explanation was dumb as poo poo.

I thought the Phoenix thing was just Loki being an rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I know Wolverine does, and that's Ghostrider's whole schtick (and Spawn) but most of them don't ever end up there no matter how many times they die. I don't think Spider-Man or Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman have been to hell outside of trips they've made on purpose to rescue someone else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

The Hulk, depending on how permissive your definition of Hell is. And Hellcat! I think one of PAD's latter-day X-Factor runs had a lot of messing around in Hell as well-- I think at various points over the past decade both Strong Guy and Meggan were rulers of Hell and as far as I know neither of them are still down there. I'm a bit hazy on the cosmology but I think Magik was stuck in Hell for awhile as well, either on top of the Limbo thing or during a period where Limbo was coded heavily as Hell-- I mean all the stuff with Belasco and S'ymm and so on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Y'all mentioning a lot of people I'm not sure are strictly "heroes"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bessantj posted:

Off the Top of my head:
Red Hulk
Leader
Punisher
Deadpool
Dr. Doom (At least 2 times)
Dr. Strange
Constantine
Dr. Fate

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I didn't follow all of his resurrection bullshit, but I've read almost every issue of every X-Men thing since Hickman got the reins (I didn't read all of Fallen Angels, but I don't think original flavor Wolverine was in that at all) and the Hot Claws have come up literally zero times and I have no idea what new villain you are talking about. There's a psychic Pale Lady in his new solo book that seems like a new villain but maybe it's related?

Also he's died and been resurrected at least twice since Hickman's taken over the line.

He lost the hot claws before Dawn of X.

Edit: And the villain he means is probably Persephone? She died in Return of Wolverine.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 26, 2020

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Off the Top of my head:
Red Hulk
Leader
Punisher
Deadpool
Dr. Strange
Constantine
Dr. Fate

Thor's been there a few times, as has Balder.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

prefect posted:

Thor's been there a few times, as has Balder.

Has Thor been to hell or to hel?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lifg posted:

Has Thor been to hell or to hel?

It's all the same thing. Mephisto and Hela and Satannish and all those folks are neighbors.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fallen Rib
Etrigan/Jason Blood comes back from hell in all of his appearances.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone from Greg Pak and Fred van Lente's Weapon X series "dies" so they can infiltrate hell and finally kill William Stryker after he made a pact with the devil and they all escape using Azazel except for Sabertooth who has to make a deal in order to get his son Graydon Creed out of Hell, he would be resurrected but his "inversion" would be removed which ended good guy Sabertooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Off the Top of my head:
Red Hulk
Leader
Punisher
Deadpool
Dr. Strange
Constantine
Dr. Fate

You're operating under a curious definition of "hero" for most of those.