Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Somehow the second episode felt like barely anything happened, compared to the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
People seem to be sick of the park? What do we give them in the second and possibly most crucial episode? How about more park

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
If the next 6 episodes were all just Jesse Pinkmans adventures in app crimes I wouldn’t complain at all.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the ratings for this show are in the toilet, they should focus in telling good stories instead of whatever the gently caress they are doing now

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

KoRMaK posted:

Wait no, I might be back. They used a rick and morty joke to reveal the simulation and slow down time, and that's just kind of a fun trope. What's the square root of -1

I feel like the show is really leaning into the trash this season with the whole simulation within a simulation (perhaps within a simulation :2bong:) but that part was a little too dumb. The square root of -1 is i. That's some high school algebra poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I feel like the show is really leaning into the trash this season with the whole simulation within a simulation (perhaps within a simulation :2bong:) but that part was a little too dumb. The square root of -1 is i. That's some high school algebra poo poo.

What could they have done? It has to be something that seems complicated to most of the people watching. Add on to the fact that people who write TV shows aren't likely to be well versed in math. I remember when I was in college algebra many years ago, my professor told some story about a friend of hers who was trying to write a story about someone who woke up and was suddenly really smart. What the person wrote to signify this was "I want to do long division." So Maeve could have asked them to some problem with integration by parts that went on forever, or to do some convoluted trigonometry proof, but most people wouldn't have understood what was even going on.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I think he was talking about the “real world” Stubbs/Bernard plot. You can say they didn’t want to kill their (former) boss and have approximately zero discipline but it still feels weird.

Yeah exactly. Like I know the QA team are not the protagonists of the show, but it still feels super dumb for guys with machine guns to run away from someone with an Axe.

They also made a big deal last season about the Delos PMC’s being portrayed as ruthless and competent, then turned them into the same redshirt morons the second bullets started flying.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's like a michelin starred place made fast food.
That’s a good way of putting it. At this point it’s a SyFy show an HBO budget and talent.

Agreed that Aaron Paul doing app crimes is the most interesting part of the show so far.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It felt like it was just another "let's have Maeve be a total BADASS in a different historical setting" like with the ultimately rather pointless samurai world side plot in season 2.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should have just done a soft reboot of the show where the only thing you needed to remember from last season was that the hosts escaped into the real world.

I'm having trouble following what's going on because season 2 was a mess, and it was also a mess from a year ago, and I don't really want to spend 10 hours rewatching it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Honestly I liked the trip to the park and the simulation within a simulation of the episode a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the real world where they continue to bang the drum of humans bad robots good here's Dolores being a terminator for the thousandth time killing rich guys because they are bad because humans are bad

I appreciated the world for Maeve using Lee's really cliched plot writing. Even in a simulation, poor Hector can't catch a break, he's always the debonair hunk that always dies chasing some treasure that doesn't exist because they never thought far out enough

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What could they have done? It has to be something that seems complicated to most of the people watching. Add on to the fact that people who write TV shows aren't likely to be well versed in math. I remember when I was in college algebra many years ago, my professor told some story about a friend of hers who was trying to write a story about someone who woke up and was suddenly really smart. What the person wrote to signify this was "I want to do long division." So Maeve could have asked them to some problem with integration by parts that went on forever, or to do some convoluted trigonometry proof, but most people wouldn't have understood what was even going on.

Remember when they created an entirely new math theorem for an episode of Futurama

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Servaetes posted:

Honestly I liked the trip to the park and the simulation within a simulation of the episode a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the real world where they continue to bang the drum of humans bad robots good here's Dolores being a terminator for the thousandth time killing rich guys because they are bad because humans are bad

Hey now, Dolores good but maybe also bad which is why she let Bernard go at the end of season 2 because they are destined to fight or something idk it was very dumb the way the writers tried to explained it this episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Remember when they created an entirely new math theorem for an episode of Futurama

Yeah, but they had actual math PhDs writing for that show.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I'm still enjoying this show, even though it's bad.

I will not be happy when Aaron Paul is revealed to be Teddy, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Exploits are generally against really stupid oversights or errors in code. All of the characters knew the math and for whatever reason they had to keep talking about it which presumably lead to some sort of out of memory condition or watchdog halting their character. If this new mysterious guy that pulled Maeve out is actually supposed to be a good programmer then its dumb, but in the previous episode one of the points made was that nobody understood how the AI worked anymore so this is just an example of more lovely programming from people that don't understand what they're doing.

Personally I'd have preferred the classic logic paradox but going with a Rick and Morty reference instead of Star Trek isn't really a big change.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Yeah, this part annoyed me. Pretty sure even the AI has basic math knowledge so why they'd need to spend all their memory going around in circles about it beats me. I think having them argue a paradox or something way more complex would've been more satisfying, this just felt dumb.

Stubbs with an axe was dumb as hell too. The action scenes in this show are pretty bad.

It's also weird too, I was watching on a TV I had never watched on before and everything had this kind of weird soap opera quality to it. With WarWorld I assumed it was intentional but I had that same weird feeling throughout the episode so it must've been the TV. I'll probably stick to watching it on HBO go on my pc next week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

They should have just done a soft reboot of the show where the only thing you needed to remember from last season was that the hosts escaped into the real world.

I'm having trouble following what's going on because season 2 was a mess, and it was also a mess from a year ago, and I don't really want to spend 10 hours rewatching it.

But season 3 really is exactly what you are describing. All you honestly need to remember is that the hosts escaped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clocks posted:

It's also weird too, I was watching on a TV I had never watched on before and everything had this kind of weird soap opera quality to it. With WarWorld I assumed it was intentional but I had that same weird feeling throughout the episode so it must've been the TV. I'll probably stick to watching it on HBO go on my pc next week.

It sounds like your TV has smooth motion turned on. It's a terrible feature and I wish TVs would do away with it.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Get them to calculate TREE(3) after quickly going over TREE(1) and TREE(2), nerds love that thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Clearly this isn't the majority opinion, but I think this season has taken the tack of "we're not gonna' make the viewers feel like this is a puzzle anymore."

Now, we could view this cynically, where people complained about the show trying to out-think its audience and now the showrunners are course-correcting, and that's a pretty good read on things.

But honestly, even if this was an accident, the show correcting to a more straightforward narrative is pretty loving brilliant, because the character journeys are mirroring our own.

Meave's arc for this entire season could've been this last episode stretched out for eight episodes or more. But we know the show's tricks, and she knows the shows tricks, and she's as tired of them as we are, so when one more layer of bullshit was introduced, she was like, "nope. gently caress you."

I rather like this season so far. It isn't quite season one, but it might make season two better in retrospect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It did feel like they wanted to make it seem like it was another two timelines at the same time season again when Stubbs and Bernard found Maeve in cold storage while she was also in Warworld, but then it was a fakeout where her stack was removed. Hopefully it's just straightforward from here on out.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Clearly this isn't the majority opinion, but I think this season has taken the tack of "we're not gonna' make the viewers feel like this is a puzzle anymore."

Now, we could view this cynically, where people complained about the show trying to out-think its audience and now the showrunners are course-correcting, and that's a pretty good read on things.

But honestly, even if this was an accident, the show correcting to a more straightforward narrative is pretty loving brilliant, because the character journeys are mirroring our own.

Meave's arc for this entire season could've been this last episode stretched out for eight episodes or more. But we know the show's tricks, and she knows the shows tricks, and she's as tired of them as we are, so when one more layer of bullshit was introduced, she was like, "nope. gently caress you."

I rather like this season so far. It isn't quite season one, but it might make season two better in retrospect.

I just watched both episodes back to back and this is basically how I feel as well. The mystery box crap is still there but the plots feel very straightforward. I took the dude's "what is this is all a simulation" comment in episode 1 and Maeve figuring out almost right away that it was a simulation in episode 2 was the show's way of assuring us that the "real world" is not a simulation. I might be giving them too much credit, but we'll see.

After season 2 I fully resigned to just tuning into this, shutting my brain off, and enjoying the awesome visuals and music and see cool things happen, and so far on those levels season 3 has delivered strongly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm gonna start asking people to discuss the square root of -1 and see if I can float some bullets that I'm shooting.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I said come in! posted:

The two writers of Game of Thrones were there in front of the dragon from the show. Was really hoping they would get eaten as a gently caress you for ruining GoT.

lmao I went back and rewatched that scene and this time the dialogue struck me:

"I got the buyer."
"What?"
"Some startup in Costa Rica."

Jurassic Park, another Crichton creation, was set on an island near Costa Rica. :haw:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah I have no clue what the gently caress is going on. Goofy writer died last season? I have vague recollections of him running around a parking garage

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Cojawfee posted:

Crashing the sim is a fun trope, but their execution doesn't hold up. Maeve and Lee would cease functioning along with their reality. They throw in a line about Maeve ensuring Lee wouldn't freeze, trying to explain it away as her outsmarting the system, but that's hard to accept. Even if they could move, they'd only fall through the world or something else silly. It's basically your video game locking up or crashing.

A counter argument is that the French corporation set it all up and aided Maeve in her dumb escape - to get her secrets. Afterall, the sim was entirely for her, and they would've been observing her closely. She's supposed to be inhumanly intelligent though. It undermines one of her defining characteristic. They could have dumbed her down, but then what's the point in recruiting her to fight Dolores? Dolores would walk all over her.

Like with most things Westworld since season 1, any time you try to explain something dumb they do, you get a new thing that doesn't hold up. You have to come along for the ride and not overthink it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Donnerberg posted:

She's supposed to be inhumanly intelligent though.

poo poo, I hope Bernard remembers to set Stubbs to 10 in every stat. And himself.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

poo poo, I hope Bernard remembers to set Stubbs to 10 in every stat. And himself.

He maxes Stubbs stats, and Stubbs instantly blows his own brains out again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What bugs me more is that hosts, and more so the whole Forge, are supposed to Delos' secretsauce supertech, and here we have Francois Toulour having with own mini-Forge.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Donnerberg posted:

Like with most things Westworld since season 1, any time you try to explain something dumb they do, you get a new thing that doesn't hold up. You have to come along for the ride and not overthink it.
Yeah, this is basically my approach: Just take everything at face value. Park guards appearing hilariously incompetent? They actually are incompetent, it's not just a bad script/edit/whatever.

Though thinking about it, the park guards being so incompetent has some interesting implications given that apparently a super-AI is essentially doing HR for the entire world. The AI decided that this was the optimal distribution of workers, that letting anyone else be a guard at Westworld would reduce the utility of that person more than the world would gain from Westworld having more competent guards. Or that the guards at Westworld would cause more problems elsewhere. Maybe Westworld was a safe dumping ground for the people the AI couldn't find another use for, since it seemingly worked so well for a long time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What are the odds that the next episode will include a Chernobylworld reference?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Stubbs did mention that the security team was pretty limited because of the massacre. That said, too few competent QA would have been better than a bunch of bad ones like we got.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woden posted:

Get them to calculate TREE(3) after quickly going over TREE(1) and TREE(2), nerds love that thing.

I like the way you think.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was surprised when they said that only 113 or so people died in the massacre. Season 2 sure made it seem like way more than that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmao I went back and rewatched that scene and this time the dialogue struck me:

"I got the buyer."
"What?"
"Some startup in Costa Rica."

Jurassic Park, another Crichton creation, was set on an island near Costa Rica. :haw:

Ha! This is a good catch. I caught that line but didn't make the connection.'

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was surprised when they said that only 113 or so people died in the massacre. Season 2 sure made it seem like way more than that.

I figured they are only counting humans, but that does feel kinda low when considering the staff too. I always figured not too many guests go to the park because its exclusively for the ultra wealthy.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I said come in! posted:

Ha! This is a good catch. I caught that line but didn't make the connection.'

I figured they are only counting humans, but that does feel kinda low when considering the staff too. I always figured not too many guests go to the park because its exclusively for the ultra wealthy.

I thought in S1 they said they had something like 1300 people in the park at any given time. That may have been young william days and it dropped off tho.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TK-42-1 posted:

I thought in S1 they said they had something like 1300 people in the park at any given time. That may have been young william days and it dropped off tho.

Didn’t the massacre take place during a Delos-exclusive event? I thought they shut down the park for the investors and their families so they could get a chance to see what they were spending money on without a bunch of upper middle-class riff raft around.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This was a pretty serviceable reboot episode, especially for Maeve: it lets her walkthrough most of her good season 1 awakenings while leaving behind her previous
relationships. Same thing with Bernard. I imagine we'll get a similar type of episode for the Man In Black and then everyone's storylines can converge in Futureworld.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I miss jimmy Simpson but really doing anything else with his young MIB character is probably unnecessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

QuoProQuid posted:

Didn’t the massacre take place during a Delos-exclusive event? I thought they shut down the park for the investors and their families so they could get a chance to see what they were spending money on without a bunch of upper middle-class riff raft around.

Oh fair enough. That makes sense.