Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I can always supplement with a USB-C SSD for offloading videos/footage, right?
In theory yes, in practice I have no clue how it works (with how funky file support is, like the PDF->Books workflow above) so I'd do a little research into that. Maybe iOS 14 changes all that crap up, who knows!

There's other storage options like the Gnarbox which seems pretty crazy. From one review I saw it's basically a computer in itself and can do auto file organization and transcoding, cloud backup, can act as a USB-C drive or network drive, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just loaded 13.4 and my mouse set up under accessibility just worked right away. I disabled the accessibility feature and no problems.

Curious though, not sure where the settings for hot keys went as I’ve lost the mapping for dock/expose/home screen for my other buttons. Has anyone found those?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Just loaded 13.4 and my mouse set up under accessibility just worked right away. I disabled the accessibility feature and no problems.

Curious though, not sure where the settings for hot keys went as I’ve lost the mapping for dock/expose/home screen for my other buttons. Has anyone found those?
Those seem to seem to be accessibility only still, so you have to reenable that crap to get the extra button functions back.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

japtor posted:

Those seem to seem to be accessibility only still, so you have to reenable that crap to get the extra button functions back.

That is so stupid. Goddamnit I just want to be able to use the other buttons without having this stupid virtual home button hanging around like a bad fart.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

That is so stupid. Goddamnit I just want to be able to use the other buttons without having this stupid virtual home button hanging around like a bad fart.
There’s an option to hide it when the mouse is connected.

...but that just means it shows up when disconnected. I’ve kind of gotten around it by doing triple click to enable/disable it (among some other stuff, so a menu pops up for me).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is clearly an after-thought for mice over trackpads, which probably makes sense. You can't 'drag and pull' like you can in accessibility mode. For instance, since my mouse doesn't have a horizontal scroll I can't move through the expose screen.

That magic trackpad looks like the best external solution in absence of the magic keyboard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TraderStav posted:

This is clearly an after-thought for mice over trackpads, which probably makes sense. You can't 'drag and pull' like you can in accessibility mode. For instance, since my mouse doesn't have a horizontal scroll I can't move through the expose screen.

That magic trackpad looks like the best external solution in absence of the magic keyboard.

Welp, gotta bring back the Mighty Mouse! (I actually like Mighty Mouse over its successor....apparently Apple was still shipping them with certain edu Mac packages until 2018 :chanpop: )

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Welp, gotta bring back the Mighty Mouse! (I actually like Mighty Mouse over its successor....apparently Apple was still shipping them with certain edu Mac packages until 2018 :chanpop: )

Hrmm.. I actually may have one in a drawer somewhere!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Found my Magic Mouse 1 that was in a drawer. It pairs, but no gestures are working =/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

poo poo, I do have a Mighty Mouse somewhere.

Man I cannot remember what I did with it when i replaced it with the MM2.

EDIT: found it! Oh man if they can get gestures working on the MM1 I'd be set.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, no gestures working on MM1. Have to dig my trackpad out of storage but I’ll be damned if I can remember where I shoved it.

2020 Pro out for delivery :supaburn:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Holy poo poo using a mouse with my iPad is weeeiiird. There’s a lot I still can’t do. Got a 25 minute (!) tutorial vid on in the background to try to figure out how to do poo poo like go to the home screen or get out of notifications.

Still, iOS is better at recognizing the extra buttons on my Logi 720 than my Mac is so there’s that.

Edit: I take it partially back. iPad is better at recognizing/customizing buttons 3-5 but can’t seem to recognize button 6 (secret thumb button I didn’t even know was there), which the Mac automatically appears to recognize and has mapped to Mission Control View, though I can’t change it or edit it or even see it in the System Prefs. 3, 4, & 5 are awol on MacOS, and I assume will remain so unless I download Logitech’s stupid app. Mac can do side to side scrolling, iPad unfortunately can’t.

7/10 would not recommend for msrp $50 but would for the $20 I got it at Costco for I guess

Edit 2: Ok turns out MacOS was picking them all up- button 3 defaults to "middle button" which is nothing for MacOS unless your app has a thing for it, 4+5 default to Forward/Back (again, app context specific) and Button 6 can be set to whatever in the Logi app but is default a "gesture button" and therefore not recognizable in iOS (my hunch is that might change if you reprogram it in the app first but I don't wanna do that). I actually really like the gesture button thing- it basically lets you use your non-touch enabled mouse to do trackpad gestures when you press it, hence it was turning on Mission Ctrl. If you swipe the mouse when pressing it it'll do whatever your trackpad gestures are set to. That's nifty.

8/10, because their documentation and guidance on this is garbage and virtually nonexistent and gently caress having to download control apps.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 25, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unwrapped the 2020 Pro. Functionally no difference, as expected. I was pleased to see that even though it doesn't fit properly, I can still use the existing keyboard cover from my 2018 Pro to magnetically attach and type. It just separates from the cover where the new camera bulge obviously can't fit. I half expected Apple to do a "this accessory isn't compatible with your iPad" garbage. So now I can safely hold out for my $300 trackpad cover.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 25, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Unwrapped the 2020 Pro. Functionally no difference, as expected. I was pleased to see that even though it doesn't fit properly, I can still use the existing keyboard cover from my 2018 Pro to magnetically attach and type. It just separates from the cover where the new camera bulge obviously can't fit. I half expected Apple to do a "this accessory isn't compatible with your iPad" garbage. So now I can safely hold out for my $300 trackpad cover.

Why didn't you just wait for the magic keyboard instead?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ijyt posted:

Why didn't you just wait for the magic keyboard instead?

Because they already had the Smart Keyboard Folio, as they said in the post?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, this is just me replacing the 2018 Pro that work assigned me with a 2020 Pro which I intend to use as a personal device. Until I get the touchpad folio I’m just swiping the keyboard cover from my 2018.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Is there a program yet that allows me to use an Apple Pencil on a word doc, or pages, and edit words (like you would with real pen and paper) and then the corrected word pops in to the old words place? Because that would be a game changer for me as a writer. Or is that rumored for the next version of IPad os?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Because they already had the Smart Keyboard Folio, as they said in the post?

Uhh yeah thats obvious, I mean if they had the 2018 iPad Pro why not just get the Magic Keyboard when it comes out if there’s no discernible performance difference.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ijyt posted:

Uhh yeah thats obvious, I mean if they had the 2018 iPad Pro why not just get the Magic Keyboard when it comes out if there’s no discernible performance difference.

I mean, his posts says the 2018 is from work and he's getting the 2020 for himself.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

New iPad is wonderful. I’m using the magic trackpad2 and the folio keyboard and the muscle memory is like any other Mac for me right now.

Are there any app developers who’ve announced any cool plans for the LIDAR sensor yet?

Also oops I ordered a usb-c to lightening cable because I didn’t realize you could pair the trackpad with just Bluetooth, like an idiot. I guess I learned badly from an old pre-13.4 tutorial.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone have tips on migrating cell plans between iPads with the physical SIM card?
I went from a 10.5” pro to the new gen 2 11”, moved over the sim and no dice.
Of course the att activation site isn’t working and support is so busy they just say to try again later...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone have tips on migrating cell plans between iPads with the physical SIM card?
I went from a 10.5” pro to the new gen 2 11”, moved over the sim and no dice.
Of course the att activation site isn’t working and support is so busy they just say to try again later...

I've never had an issue with it. I've been transferring sims on my Tmobile plan for a few years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as tips, I know this isn’t helpful in the least but I literally swapped the SIM from my work Pro into my personal Pro and it Just Works(tm). Just tested the SIM from my iPad5 into my Pro as well and that also works. If we weren’t in the end times I would say go visit the Apple Store because that seems like something that shouldn’t be giving you trouble. Maybe make sure the SIM is seated correctly and that there’s no tarnish on the SIM contacts to start?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I recognize the irony in asking this about my new $1300 ipad and $130 pencil, but any case recommendations for a 12.9" 2020 pro that isn't a magnetic plastic flap for one hundred of my American dollars?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Erwin posted:

I recognize the irony in asking this about my new $1300 ipad and $130 pencil, but any case recommendations for a 12.9" 2020 pro that isn't a magnetic plastic flap for one hundred of my American dollars?

What kinda case do you want? A sleeve? Something padded? Something that lets you use the iPad naked and just put it away for storage? Something that provides wrap protection all the time?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

What kinda case do you want? A sleeve? Something padded? Something that lets you use the iPad naked and just put it away for storage? Something that provides wrap protection all the time?

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm fine using it naked and putting it away, in which case I assume any padded laptop sleeve is fine, or are there padded sleeves specific to 12.9" ipads? Use cases are mostly around viewing sheet music or connected to a midi keyboard, so it'll either be sitting on a music stand or clipped into a holder. With the camera bump it doesn't sit flat on the stand, but that doesn't bother me too much. I do wonder if the cameras will eventually get scratched if they're resting on a metal stand all the time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Erwin posted:

Yes, you can join me in the three hundred and fifty American dollar magnetic plastic flap club :q:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yes, you can join me in the three hundred and fifty American dollar magnetic plastic flap club :q:

:hmmyes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Erwin posted:

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm fine using it naked and putting it away, in which case I assume any padded laptop sleeve is fine, or are there padded sleeves specific to 12.9" ipads? Use cases are mostly around viewing sheet music or connected to a midi keyboard, so it'll either be sitting on a music stand or clipped into a holder. With the camera bump it doesn't sit flat on the stand, but that doesn't bother me too much. I do wonder if the cameras will eventually get scratched if they're resting on a metal stand all the time.

I really really like Herschel’s zippered iPad sleeves. Super cushy and padded- prices often fluctuate between $20-$40 but I got my old one for $12. Often specific patterns/sizes/retailers have discounts. I used an iPad Air totally naked for five years without ever accumulating so much as a scratch by just making a point to put it back in its sleeve when not in use.

I gave my sleeve to my mom when I gave her my old iPad Air. Since then I’ve been using a $10 gray felt case from Amazon with my 2018 iPad. I was going to get another Herschel but I wanted to wait and see if I found something that I liked that would let me easily store the gen 1 Pencil with it (no magnetic biz, it just rolls around). The Amazon case is nothing special at all but it’s held up more than well enough and I can shove the Pencil in one of the pockets and so I’ve just sort of left it. But I do intend to find a better case at some point- or just get comfortable leaving the Pencil in one of my backpack’s pen pockets or whatever.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Erwin posted:

One thing to keep in mind with laptop sleeves is the screen ratio. Like a 13” laptop sleeve will probably be meant for something with a 16:9 screen, vs the iPad’s 4:3, so the size might be off depending on the tolerances. So look at dimensions to make sure it’d fit properly if you get some generic laptop one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Three-fifty here! Unashamed

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm not really familiar with Apple release schedules, is there a new Air expected this year? I'm thinking about replacing my Android tablet and the Air looks like the sweet spot between price and performance but the current model is already a year old.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm not really familiar with Apple release schedules, is there a new Air expected this year? I'm thinking about replacing my Android tablet and the Air looks like the sweet spot between price and performance but the current model is already a year old.

Can you spend a little more and look at the refurb/new old stock 2018 iPad Pro? Now that the new one’s out without many under-the-hood changes that model looks like a really good value proposition if you’re already considering stepping up to the Air from the base model.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Goddamn it, I was waiting for this new iPad Pro to replace my utterly broken OG iPad Air and now they are saying this is an incremental upgrade and there might be ANOTHER major revision this year. Should I wait until then? Because I doubt it will even come out this year because of plagueworld and watching stuff on my phone is getting pretty old.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you need it now, then just get it. It’s not really worth obsessing with how soon the next refresh is going to come out especially if one literally came out last week. If you’re really worried about it being “old” go buy a refurb where the age is priced in.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Soooo every iPad app should be forced to support split screen. It’s amazing to be watching YouTube/Twitch and browsing awful app, Apollo or whatever. More games need to support it. So far just threes and egg inc use it that I’ve found.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The "new" ipad Pro has really made me realize how much I still love my 2018 ipad pro. It's so loving good.

The refresh is a major skip for me. If you're in the market just get a refurbished 2018 pro for half the price unless you... really like AR (??) or taking pictures with your ipad (?????)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I really suspect the AR stuff is Apple getting hardware and software for their future smart glasses designs out there in the wild so it can be stress-tested ahead of actually putting it into the glasses form factor.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I’m strictly working from home now and my business is basically client consulting all the time. Webcams are sold out pretty much everywhere and the one in my 2012 MacBook Air is very grainy. Luckily I have a 10.5 iPad Pro I’ll use for video conferencing, but I am getting stuck trying to figure out a decent way to implement it - especially considering the audio. Has anyone else used an iPad this way?

I sort of figured out it might be a good idea to get a mount for it, keep it plugged in with a 10’ charging cable, and pick up some wireless headphones. I’m not sure if the mic on the iPad is good enough, or if any wireless ear phones are good besides expensive AirPods, or if lightning splitter adaptors are reliable if I use wired earbuds instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

I’m strictly working from home now and my business is basically client consulting all the time. Webcams are sold out pretty much everywhere and the one in my 2012 MacBook Air is very grainy. Luckily I have a 10.5 iPad Pro I’ll use for video conferencing, but I am getting stuck trying to figure out a decent way to implement it - especially considering the audio. Has anyone else used an iPad this way?

I sort of figured out it might be a good idea to get a mount for it, keep it plugged in with a 10’ charging cable, and pick up some wireless headphones. I’m not sure if the mic on the iPad is good enough, or if any wireless ear phones are good besides expensive AirPods, or if lightning splitter adaptors are reliable if I use wired earbuds instead.

All of it sounds good honestly. Just do whatever you like best. I’ve done a bunch of Zoom meetings from my iPad and iPhone with both wired (regular old EarPods) and wireless (Plantronics BackBeats Fit from Costco) headsets not really designed for streaming with zero problem. I’m sure a nicer headset or USB mic would work even better. Built-in is probably fine but maybe have a headset on hand. Definitely err on the side of keeping the device plugged in (cheap USB/lightning splitter may be clutch here) if you can, streaming can chew through your battery.