Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
unstoppable wasp is a team book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

D'oh, I missed the 'teen' qualifier.

Which run was it that had Billy & Teddy, Squirrel Girl, Power Man & White Tiger on the team? That one kinda counts, right? Bobby was running it, and he's still a teen/young adult at heart. And mind.

Edit: Oh! The Power pack books that had art by Gurihuru! Those are still great. Oh, and X-Men First Class was fun. Especially the backup stories with art by Colleen Coover.

Also, Avengers Academy! It's a real shame that they kinda forgot about those characters right after the book ended and did nothing at all with them until like a few months back when Finesse showed up in Unstoppable Wasp & Hazmat's showing up in Captain Marvel. Really wish that they'd thought to use them before that point. Such a shame.

It was Ewing's New Avengers (the one after Secret Wars). Not strictly a teen book, Hawkeye's hanging around, but yeah.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Generation X is really great until Bachalo leaves. New X-Men also has its ups and downs but has some really fantastic characters all throughout the run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Generation X is really great until Bachalo leaves. New X-Men also has its ups and downs but has some really fantastic characters all throughout the run.

Which New X-Men?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Which New X-Men?

It's after Morrison's run. I think it had the subtitle Academy X, but not sure if it started out with that.

After checking, on unlimited it's just called New X-Men and starts in 2004.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men was a brilliant teen team-ish book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

So I should skip straight to New Warriors then?

Check out Thor 411-412 for their introduction, and a great Thor/Juggernaut fight that they get involved with.

Seconding Wolverine and the X-Men.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Seconding Unstoppable Wasp & the various Gurihiru Power Pack minis for wholesome, fun teen times.

Avengers Academy has good character progression and does well with the various events to make them work for it, but I will always be a New Mutants Vol. 2. => New X-Men fan. They got me into the X-Men (so er... beware, he says after actual years of primarily X-Men back issue reading). You can read New X-Men and then follow X-23 into Avengers Academy when she joins mid-way through, before the AvX tie-in that features a lot of New X-Men, but the bulk of their stuff is here and there in the Utopia era before they mostly faded into the background.
Those two get heavy at times and really progress the characters and have some memorable moments.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DigitalRaven posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was a brilliant teen team-ish book.

It is also the best X-men run ever done, in my opinion.

Toad :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is also the best X-men run ever done, in my opinion.

Toad :smith:

*Stares at you in Claremont.*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
spider-man and the x-men

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Which iron fist story/run had all the different kung fu moves with the cool names labeled? Need to refer my friend for his monk RPG character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Which iron fist story/run had all the different kung fu moves with the cool names labeled? Need to refer my friend for his monk RPG character.

The Fraction/Brubaker one. I can't remember if it's under Immortal Ironfist or just Ironfist, but it should be from the early-mid 2000s.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

spider-man and the x-men

:hmmyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spider-Man and the X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men are both good, but not really what I was looking for. I was more looking for stuff where it's really just the kids doing their own thing, not following the lead or rebelling against a teacher figure/adult lead.

New Mutants wouldn't qualify except Xavier and later Magneto are just completely absent the majority of the time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Like Skwirl mentioned, it's the Fraction one, but for what it's worth, I think basically every Iron Fist run (and some other Avengers/team stories featuring him) since then has done that same thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Minor spoiler for one of the last comic books to ever be released (for the foreseeable future)

Holy poo poo boys, Immortal Hulk does it again. :pcgaming:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As someone who was a HUGE fan of Pitarra in Manhattan Projects (especially the Oppenheimer war), today's Immortal Hulk was loving incredible.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The original New Mutants is my all time favorite comic.

The volume 2 to New X-Men is good but has the very unsatisfying turnover at M-Day that turned me off Kyle and Yost for years.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There are at least a dozen terrifying things in Immortal Hulk this week, but most unsettling to me is what Worldbreaker Hulk is up to...

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me how disgusting Immortal Hulk can get.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Minor spoiler for one of the last comic books to ever be released (for the foreseeable future)

Holy poo poo boys, Immortal Hulk does it again. :pcgaming:

I genuinely cannot get over how consistently amazing it is. I'd put it up there with Aaron's Thor run if I thought there was even the slightest chance of it surviving anywhere outside of this one specific run.

Also, can anybody explain to me who the scaley guy was this issue?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nilbop posted:

I genuinely cannot get over how consistently amazing it is. I'd put it up there with Aaron's Thor run if I thought there was even the slightest chance of it surviving anywhere outside of this one specific run.

Also, can anybody explain to me who the scaley guy was this issue?

Devil Hulk. He appeared as a big scaley orange guy back when he was first mentioned as a concept waaaay back in Paul Jenkins' run, and more recently during the Hulk personality deliberation in Absolute Carnage: Immortal Hulk.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Hulk chat: I was a bit surprised at how easily Dario and Xemnu went down, but it was satisfying in these times to see a parasitic capitalist hoisted by his own (super gross) petard.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Hulk chat: I was a bit surprised at how easily Dario and Xemnu went down, but it was satisfying in these times to see a parasitic capitalist hoisted by his own (super gross) petard.

"I never thought the psychic alien would eat my face."

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Extrano from Englehart's New Guardians was an important landmark as an early gay character in Big Two cape comics, but nobody celebrates him because he was a poorly written cartoonish stereotype who got HIV from an HIVampire.

I'll check out Kibblesmith's Loki and keep an open mind but I don't like queer characters to feel like stunt-casting.

I mean you could fix the pitch by just naming the twins like, Bulwark and Kid Frost or something, and not loving calling a character something as clunky and stupid as B-Negative. I feel like with different names and slightly less condescending language in the press release I'd be like "oh neat, an enby character."

I am a bit behind but I wanted to comment. I honestly could not believe those names were used. My friends who are gender fluid brought it up to me. I did not believe them. Does this beat Hydra Cap for clueless? As someone mentioned this could be cannon fodder move. They are New Warriors. They never last long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bad_trotsky posted:

I am a bit behind but I wanted to comment. I honestly could not believe those names were used. My friends who are gender fluid brought it up to me. I did not believe them. Does this beat Hydra Cap for clueless? As someone mentioned this could be cannon fodder move. They are New Warriors. They never last long.

OG New Warriors lasted the better part of a decade.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

New Warriors was the 90’s, especially the earnest and embarrassingly clueless attempts to be progressive. They even had a handicapable female minority superhero, and a character whose superpower was kickin rad skateboard tricks.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Anyone else trying to get into Donny Cates' Thor but just find themselves unable to? I enjoy the art, I enjoy Thor's redesign, I like the characters he's choosing to involve in his narrative but I'm just getting very little out of the writing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

New Warriors was the 90’s, especially the earnest and embarrassingly clueless attempts to be progressive. They even had a handicapable female minority superhero, and a character whose superpower was kickin rad skateboard tricks.

Night Thrasher was a holdover from the late 80's

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Incredibly late 80s, in that his first (cameo) appearance came out in September 1989, his first full appearance in October, and New Warriors launched in May 1990 as part of a marketing campaign (emblazoned on the first issue) titled HEROES FOR THE '90S

I think it's fair to say the New Warriors (and as the only founding member who was created solely for the book, Night Thrasher) can be considered 90s characters

This also answers the trivia question "Did John Byrne ever draw Robocop?" (he did! for that cover)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 26, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*bolts up awake in the middle of the night*
DID JOHN BYRNE EVER DRAW ROBO-COP?!

Oh, right. Silly me. Marvel Age 86.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What are some other good "did artist X draw character Y" questions?

Mark Bagley is mostly known for Spider-Man and Spider-Man adjacent stuff, but he worked on Trinity(which I've never read) and other stuff for DC, so

Did Mark Bagley ever draw Amanda Waller?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waller very well may have shown up in Trinity at some point. That book was all over the place.

And New Warriors first showed up in Thor on December 89. I knew they were from the 90’s, but I didn’t know it was that early. Are they anyone’s favorite super team?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

What are some other good "did artist X draw character Y" questions?

Mark Bagley is mostly known for Spider-Man and Spider-Man adjacent stuff, but he worked on Trinity(which I've never read) and other stuff for DC, so

Did Mark Bagley ever draw Amanda Waller?
It doesn't look like he did!

What's remarkable in looking this up (and chalk it up to movie synergy) but "original" post-Crisis Amanda Waller only has 233 appearances recorded across 25 years of publication (1986-2011) but New 52/Rebirth Waller has 263 appearances across a little under nine years of existence. A big part of that was that Waller (and the Suicide Squad concept in general) was written out of comics for most of the 1990s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

It doesn't look like he did!

What's remarkable in looking this up (and chalk it up to movie synergy) but "original" post-Crisis Amanda Waller only has 233 appearances recorded across 25 years of publication (1986-2011) but New 52/Rebirth Waller has 263 appearances across a little under nine years of existence. A big part of that was that Waller (and the Suicide Squad concept in general) was written out of comics for most of the 1990s.

She was pretty important to the DCAU Justice League Unlimited cartoon. Weird she wasn't showing up in comics when that was airing new.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I first remember seeing her in Hush and Superman/Batman.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

She was pretty important to the DCAU Justice League Unlimited cartoon. Weird she wasn't showing up in comics when that was airing new.
Right, and her first appearance in the DCAU comics was in 2004, a couple of years after she started appearing in the comics again as a member of President Lex Luthor's cabinet.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I first remember seeing her in Hush and Superman/Batman.
To be clear, it's not that she was forbidden from being used or anything, I'm just saying that from the point that the original Suicide Squad comic ended in 1992, a comprehensive and encyclopedic listing of her appearances in comics for the next eight and a half years was:

1992-3
- About half of the issues of Eclipso (1992-1993) as part of a group trying to take him down from the shadows

- Bloodbath #1 & 2 (the two-part finale of the summer annual Bloodlines crossover from 1993 featuring everyone in the DCU, she's the government agent Superman and everyone else doesn't trust not to weaponize the evil aliens)

-Superboy #13 and #15, where Waller tries to reunite the Suicide Squad, she's in about four pages across the arc and they do not reform.

-Spectre #31 (three page cameo defending the honor of the priest character Ostrander carried over from Suicide Squad to Spectre)

-Final Night #1 (appears in one group shot panel of people uniting to stop the Sun Eater, no lines/name, does not appear for remainder of the event)

- Does not appear in any comics

-Hawk & Dove #4-5, the end of a weird Mike Baron mini with an all-new Hawk & Dove who were introduced by John Byrne in his GENESIS event, appeared in this mini-series and were basically never mentioned again. The climax of the mini just ignores everything from the previous six years and assumes Waller is still running Suicide Squad (or I guess an all new team with most of the old crew and shady government ties but it's not treated as a 'new' team) and she appears in a few pages ordering them to take in the new Hawk and Dove. They don't succeed, and like I said, no one ever talks about this mini again.

-Chase #2 - Entirely separate from the Hawk & Dove mini-series, Amanda Waller uses her government position to create a new Suicide Squad. This team of villains betrays Chase on their first and only mission (within ten pages of being introduced) and Waller isn't seen again outside of the intro sequence.

1999-2000
- Does not appear in any comics

So a trade paperback of "Amanda Waller Appearances, 1994-2000" would fit neatly in a single comic book. This is what I mean by effectively written out.

In 2001 she is reintroduced (at first in the Superman books, later spreading out into crossovers like Our Worlds At War) as President Luthor's Secretary of Metahuman Affairs, and starts appearing semi-monthly as a supporting character. It's in this capacity that she appears for three panels in Hush.

She has a signifcant supporting role in the first arc of Superman/Batman in 2004, and then appears sporadically in various Greg Rucka books in the lead-up to Infinite Crisis/through 52, before getting her first monthly featured role in over a decade in Greg Rucka's Checkmate, all of which happened post-JLU. I've always liked the character, so it was annoying how minimized she was post-Ostrander Suicide Squad, honestly even through the President Luthor arc.

I also had a roommate in grad school who wanted to write a paper about how the Luthor/Waller relationship in Justice League Unlimited was a racist/misogynistic parody of George W. Bush and Condoleezza Rice, and no amount of trying to explain the source material (or the text of the loving show) would convince him otherwise.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Wow, I really enjoyed Chase as it came out but have not thought about it in years. I got the impression that if it had run longer Johnson would have circled back around to Waller-- it just felt like he had more to say about her than the handful of pages in #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't even think I've thought about that Hawk and Dove miniseries in a decade, probably the last time I put it together as a set for sale in the store I worked at. Having Hawk be the woman and angry was unique at the time, I guess.