Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I mean that is all of the Picard episodes, so not really surprising.

If you don't like it, stop watching.

Nobody is making you watch it, and nobody is making you write hate posts about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mehall posted:

Nobody is making you watch it, and nobody is making you write hate posts about it.

Half this thread is the “show yourself coward, I will never log off” tweet only it’s “I will never stop watching Picard”. With an added bonus of never logging off as well :v:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

In the latest episode of Westworld, a show full of horrible gore and nudity and cursing up and down, they cut away from an android before they shoot themselves in the head.

And all I could think was "somehow Westworld has more sense in how to film a self-inflicted gunshot wound than Picard."

It's not a nitpick, it's just... weird.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 25, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

I've actually come to enjoy people both thoughtfully working out why it's bad and making GBS threads on it for being bad; this helps me understand why I like and hate the things that I do. Also I got this bitchin av! Why do you hate personal growth and fun.

Next season they should rip off the story from Halo and put the ninja guy in a Master Chief suit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tighclops posted:

Next season they should rip off the story from Halo and put the ninja guy Picard in a Master Chief suit and a Rios hologram as Cortana

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If these fools keep hatewatching the show is more likely to be renewed, so thanks friends!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can hate something without watching it. Like your children!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

DaveKap posted:

In the latest episode of Westworld, a show full of horrible gore and nudity and cursing up and down, they cut away from an android before they shoot themselves in the head.

And all I could think was "somehow Westworld has more sense in how to film a self-inflicted gunshot wound than Picard."

It's not a nitpick, it's just... weird.

Eh, it's a little different when it's an actual pistol that you can go and buy in a store vs a Disruptor.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, so weapons chat. Which weapon types completely disintegrate a body and at what power setting does this happen?

Also, how does the disintegration work? Like, does the effect just travel along organic lines or do things like rugs or objects the disintegrate-ee is touching also disappear as well? I mean, the clothes disintegrate...

Does it disintegrate air molecules around the person? If not, then it stands to reason gasses aren't effected, so should we expect to smell someone's gastro-intestinal leftovers to be floating around?

Is pink eye a problem with disintegrations?

Goddamn it, I need to know these things.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 25, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

I've actually come to enjoy people both thoughtfully working out why it's bad and making GBS threads on it for being bad; this helps me understand why I like and hate the things that I do. Also I got this bitchin av! Why do you hate personal growth and fun.

Next season they should rip off the story from Halo and put the ninja guy in a Master Chief suit.

I get it. You're only 'acting' like a giant dweeb. You're actually very smart and cool.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

I get it. You're only 'acting' like a giant dweeb. You're actually very smart and cool.

The thing you like is funny because it's stupid and I'm here to laugh at it and you. lololol.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

The thing you like is funny because it's stupid and I'm here to laugh at it and you. lololol.

:same:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SpeakSlow posted:

Ok, so weapons chat. Which weapon types completely disintegrate a body and at what power setting does this happen?

Also, how does the disintegration work? Like, does the effect just travel along organic lines or do things like rugs or objects the disintegrate-ee is touching also disappear as well? I mean, the clothes disintegrate...

Does it disintegrate air molecules around the person? If not, then it stands to reason gasses aren't effected, so should we expect to smell someone's gastro-intestinal leftovers to be floating around?

Is pink eye a problem with disintegrations?

Goddamn it, I need to know these things.

Pagers work by disappearing nucleons into subspace, according to okuda and sternbach. Disruptors are less clear. Sometimes they're anti proton beans and someone they're like pagers. Dominion weapons are anti proton beans.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Except no one is pretending to be stupid, we just think your show is stupid.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I certainly agree you aren't pretending to be stupid.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

"Your show" yes I'm very intelligent

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Except no one is pretending to be stupid, we just think your show is stupid.

I honestly meant what I said about reading people analyze it and learning from that as much as I enjoy seeing people make fun of it for being a boring and senseless rip off of other stuff. I'm a little baffled why some people take that so personally, it's not like they're the ones producing this show and certainly no one is stopping anyone from enjoying it for talking about that.

It seems like some people just want a hug box and so long as the shows are as poorly written and produced as they are I don't think that's going to happen.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

I'm a little baffled why some people take that so personally,

Tighclops posted:

:thunk:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's nothing wrong with discussing why you think the show is bad and there are pages upon pages of civil, lively discussion about the issues the show may or may not have, so 2-3 pages straight now of just poo poo-talking each other and whatever the gently caress is going on right now is the really baffling part tbqh

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Most of the people making GBS threads on other people in this thread are upset that some of us aren't cheerleading for this show, I'm laughing at the superior intellect.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Come on man, there’s better ways to argue with people than posting poo poo like this.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Are y'all ready for the ~~season finale~~ of Picard airing tonight? Will all your questions be answered? Will more questions be raised? Will it be satisfying? Will it vindicate all the hate towards Chabon and Kurtzman? Will it steer in to ripping off Mass Effect? Is everyone looking forward to season 2?

Curious to see everyone's thoughts toward this last one. I've fallen like 4 episodes behind so I just read the threads to see what's happening.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Come on man, there’s better ways to argue with people than posting poo poo like this.

There are, and normally I'd take them. However in this instance I felt it matched his given position perfectly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

piratepilates posted:

Are y'all ready for the ~~season finale~~ of Picard airing tonight? Will all your questions be answered? Will more questions be raised? Will it be satisfying? Will it vindicate all the hate towards Chabon and Kurtzman? Will it steer in to ripping off Mass Effect? Is everyone looking forward to season 2?

Curious to see everyone's thoughts toward this last one. I've fallen like 4 episodes behind so I just read the threads to see what's happening.

I'm looking forward to it. I have reservations that they can resist the temptation to give in to the same bollocks impulses that made the Discovers S2 finale suck so much. They've done a good job on the whole so far this season though, so the possibility exists for it to be fun and satisfying. And yeah I am looking forward to S2 at the moment. I'd like a completely different story arc, maybe a little more episodic stuff as that was one of the early strong points of the season.

You should catch up, the last four episodes have been fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the show pulls a westworld and completely abandons the interesting plot and starts up a new one that sucks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

After reading his words about this show online, I'm convinced Chabon keeps a pressurized canister of his own farts in his office that he huffs once a day. Not that I long for the heady days of 2002, but at least Berman left it at "we're all very pleased."

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Pagers work by disappearing nucleons into subspace, according to okuda and sternbach. Disruptors are less clear. Sometimes they're anti proton beans and someone they're like pagers. Dominion weapons are anti proton beans.

Goddammit, you're going to make me look this up, aren't you?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope Chabon realizes how much he had to make social media posts explaining why the problems people had with the episodes weren't really problems and then puts those explanations in the actual episodes. Like take a second go at the scripts, or let some people outside of the show read them to see where they need to say something in the show so it isn't a total mess.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ferengis should have had war whips throughout all the treks. :colbert:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cojawfee posted:

I hope Chabon realizes how much he had to make social media posts explaining why the problems people had with the episodes weren't really problems and then puts those explanations in the actual episodes. Like take a second go at the scripts, or let some people outside of the show read them to see where they need to say something in the show so it isn't a total mess.

If this were a normal intellectual property, he wouldn't have to go on Twitter to defend poo poo that reasonable audiences would let slide or infer for themselves.

I mean the guy had to explain why a character wore sunglasses for crying out loud.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Field Trip Report: they just seem to throw around the terms "stun", "disintegrate", and "vaporize" without an actual explanation of how.

Hell, at least disruptors get a good description if the immediate effects: "Disruptors cause damage by exciting the molecular bonds of targets to such great extents that those bonds are weakened, and/or broken, by the energies emitted, which often manifest as explosive force."

See, I can get behind that. Phasers seem to just be "space magic, lol". Very annoyed by this.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Arglebargle III posted:

poo poo, no wonder no one uses pagers anymore, you're telling me every time someone paged me I was putting my life in danger and could have spontaneously disintegrated?

all those poor doctors

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just don't eat any antiproton beans.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, come on: "my cereal drives"?!?!?! Whats up with that?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SpeakSlow posted:

I mean, come on: "my cereal drives"?!?!?! Whats up with that?

They'll never replace good old-fashioned warp nasals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Chabon didn’t have to explain anything, he did the Q&As for fun. People make it sound he was running damage control, which he wasn’t at all if you actually read through the Q&As. 90% of the questions are about little background detail poo poo or people trying to glean information on future episodes/seasons.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've found Picard pretty boring and I probably won't bother watching any future seasons. Will keep watching Discovery, though, which in my opinion has so far earned its place on that esteemed list of Good Star Treks, next to TOS, the six original cast movies, DS9 and the reboot movies.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cargohills posted:

I've found Picard pretty boring and I probably won't bother watching any future seasons. Will keep watching Discovery, though, which in my opinion has so far earned its place on that esteemed list of Good Star Treks, next to TOS, the six original cast movies, DS9 and the reboot movies.

Yeah Disco has gotten p good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Picard is a not good show but it has several very good actors doing fun performances and the disintegrating narrative has a charm in its own way, imho