Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Well if that didn't do it, openly admitting on Twitter to voting Tory in the last 4 elections should.

I hate that I can't be 100% sure this is a parody though. I'm about 98% sure, but there's still that tiny ounce of 'yes but people can be truly that loving dense'.

...did you read the letter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

thespaceinvader posted:

Well if that didn't do it, openly admitting on Twitter to voting Tory in the last 4 elections should.

I hate that I can't be 100% sure this is a parody though. I'm about 98% sure, but there's still that tiny ounce of 'yes but people can be truly that loving dense'.

The Laughdugry couple are basically Kelly Cartoons for the twitter era.

I feel bad that that sentence now exists.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

People generally order those knowing some idea of what they'll have to do in advance though, it's a bit different to dropping 3.5m of them on a bunch of people already in pandemic mode.

Hopefully the media will be fully explaining things in the weeks ahead so we don't get a repeat of that one student who manages to gouge out a chunk of their fingat and gets blood everywhere and has to go to the school nurse on a national scale during a healthcare emergency.

Those little spring-loaded needles they use for blood glucose tests seem pretty foolproof* and anyone managing to gently caress that up can probably be safely left to bleed to death. Having said that they also use those for hemoglobin tests when you give blood and TBH i dread that more than the big loving drainpipe needle that they take the actual claret with. Something about the speed the needle moves at, I literally have to hold my arm down to stop from pulling it away.

* I am well aware of the pitfall of that word.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

bessantj posted:

Putting in an order with ASDA is testing my patience right now. Started the order then got put in a queue. An hour later I could finish my order but now when I try and pay the card check is timing out.

Don't know if you fixed this, but the other day when I was registering a new card, I had to go into my account settings and add the card there, instead of doing it on the checkout screen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

The Laughdugrys are TBEU aren't they?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's still a slight chance. Graham Linehan has written letters that he does not consider parody.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She's married to oliver laughdugry, who is a lawyer, and whose surname you should absolutely say out loud if you're unsure.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, Permitted Exercise report - you'll all be pleased to hear that every building site around Canary Wharf is going at full speed, because God knows they have to get those 6,000 or so luxury flats onto the market by summer when demand for million-pound shoeboxes with a view of other million-pound shoeboxes will definitely be peaking.

(For those who haven't been keeping track of my rants about this - 7 of the 10 tallest residential buildings in the UK (and 3 of the 5 tallest in Europe) are going up along one stretch of road on the Isle of Dogs, and all are due for completion between Q2 and Q4 2020/21, with ground being broken on another three buildings in that size range as we speak, due for completion in early 2022 - ironically the lockdown is probably going to allow them to speed up the completion of those buildings because they can get even more truck movements down that one narrow bit of road)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those little spring-loaded needles they use for blood glucose tests seem pretty foolproof* and anyone managing to gently caress that up can probably be safely left to bleed to death. Having said that they also use those for hemoglobin tests when you give blood and TBH i dread that more than the big loving drainpipe needle that they take the actual claret with. Something about the speed the needle moves at, I literally have to hold my arm down to stop from pulling it away.

* I am well aware of the pitfall of that word.

The needles retract after they're fired so a more probably outcome is John Gammon fat-fingers the lancet, doesn't get any blood and proceeds to exsanguinate when he tries to extract blood with the use of a paring knife.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I got a letter through the door from the local Trotskyists offering help and support if I need it, how nice :)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Love to receive an email that starts "I am not a crank:" and then explains why the Coronavirus is a right-wing hoax.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Love to receive an email that starts "I am not a crank:" and then explains why the Coronavirus is a right-wing hoax.

A right wing hoax? That's at least novel

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Well they say they're not a crank, so you should probably take it seriously.

e: and post it for our enlightenment too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I got a letter through the door from the local Trotskyists offering help and support if I need it, how nice :)
Well they've definitely got paper.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Is it this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Well they've definitely got paper.

Is it this?

Wait... is that why there's a shortage of loo roll? Printing the nanosurveillance bots from the Office Of Bottom Inspectors into the rolls causing a bottleneck? Holy poo poo it all makes sense now!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's a cyberpunk dystopia in which perverted techbros have installed olfactory sensors in our surveillance loo rolls so they can telepathically taste our rear end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

She's married to oliver laughdugry, who is a lawyer, and whose surname you should absolutely say out loud if you're unsure.

wait they're real and not trevor bastards?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

wait they're real and not trevor bastards?

No of course they're trevor bastards, as evidenced by oliver law-degree QC.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I've been watching this reporting with amusement, since the company making this particular kit is run by my mate who I did my PhD with, and have been bantering about coronavirus with since early January. Proud of the lad though, he's a hard worker. Should ask him more about the kit (actually kits, think they have a qPCR and an antibody kit now), but he's gone quiet on the WhatsApp the last 2 weeks due to hectic busyness.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1242861618561724417

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deputy ambassador to Hungary, to be precise.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well they say they're not a crank, so you should probably take it seriously.

e: and post it for our enlightenment too.

It was basically just this link:

https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24/12-experts-questioning-the-coronavirus-panic/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Holy moly

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So has anyone actually signed up for this volunteering thing? I would be up for doing pharmacy deliveries and stuff like that, if only to get myself out of the house.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eh, that's a bit disappointing, not even a mention of orgones, just bog-standard "These people say something slightly different from the orthodoxy" stuff.

minema
May 31, 2011
So my final placement just cancelled and an hour later I get a call from my job when I qualify and they want me to come in for a uniform fitting as they are expecting us all to get rushed through to qualify asap. Bricking it to be honest, going to raid the booze stockpile for sure tonight

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

minema posted:

So my final placement just cancelled and an hour later I get a call from my job when I qualify and they want me to come in for a uniform fitting as they are expecting us all to get rushed through to qualify asap. Bricking it to be honest, going to raid the booze stockpile for sure tonight

Alcohol inhibits your immune system.

minema
May 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

I still have to finish my dissertation and various other assignments so my immune system will have some time to recover.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

loving lol boris started going on about that poo poo FT article about the 50% already having corona at today’s presser

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

minema posted:

I still have to finish my dissertation and various other assignments so my immune system will have some time to recover.

Alcohol also inhibits the writing a dissertation system.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

sassassin posted:

rip me

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

sassassin posted:

https://xkcd.com/323/

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jel Shaker posted:

loving lol boris started going on about that poo poo FT article about the 50% already having corona at today’s presser

No accident. They're just manufacturing consent for sending everyone back to work ASAP in a different way to the US, see which one gets the most traction.

minema
May 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

It's a 3000 word lit review with a 1000 word research proposal, not a proper dissertation so I reckon I could write it hammered and still pass. Especially since they want us all out on the wards asap.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently we're going to be fine now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52035615

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Think I found the video all those new crossbow enthusiasts have been watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBQJKs--o8

Faintly alarmed that the algorithm recommended this to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

Apparently we're going to be fine now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52035615

I'll have some of whatever that guy's been smoking.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When the NHS is overwhelmed they'll blame people for not sticking to the wishy-washy lockdown restrictions well enough.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
After the government rolled back the work restrictions today and yesterday, my boss has gone from SHUT IT ALL DOWN!!! to carry on as well as we can. I'm now officially joining the wfh club, and going in tomorrow to pick up a laptop and as many reference catalogues and pricelists as I can carry. Suits me fine, as the actual amount of work I can accomplish from home will probably take me all of 30 minutes per day, if that.

A few of my online accquaintances have stumbled across the 50% pre-infected article, and are jumping all over it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's specifically parodying Femi Oluwole's rejection, for which he was yelling at Owen Jones(?) for the better part of a day:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1242328289462628352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

It's specifically parodying Femi Oluwole's rejection, for which he was yelling at Owen Jones(?) for the better part of a day:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1242328289462628352

Yes, I know, but I'm talking about the reason for rejecting her.