Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ammanas posted:

yea this is good but add at least one more engineer. the bonuses stack + 2 with maxed movement bonus means you can move forced march distances with normal movement.

i also dont bother with warp lightning cannons or warpfire throwers (although both are fun and cool).
I usually have two Engineers yeah, I just didnt have a screenshot with two handy. It gets the point across though. Depending on who the army will be fighting I will have the Warpfire Throwers (for the Glorious Warpfire, you see) but in some of the armies I just have another Ratling Gunner. As for the WLC's, I like them because they are direct fire artillery that absolutely slaughter Large units, especially Steam Tanks, War Wagons, Luminarks, Grail Reliquaes, Dinos, Giants, ect ect you get the picture. With two Warlock Engineers in the army their range is 500+ and they go to work on cavalry, too. But on the other hand if you just dont like 'em and you're successful, hey, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Another attempt to get something achieved as Kholek, starting up in Aghol territory.
We've wiped out most of the DElves without too much trouble.

Just had a pretty worrisome fight against Exiles of Nehek, who brought 2 stacks against my backup stack of a poo poo mage, a good mage, 2 Exalted Warriors, a bunch of Aspiring Champions and a couple of Doomcannons.
I got a Pyrrhic Victory, but didn't lose any of the units (came really close, mind you). It was also the fight that finally unlocked Archaeon.

It's mostly not that hard, but with the occasional skull-crushing moment.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You can go full gunline now that you can recruit all those things, if you think you would enjoy it. Warp Grinders are NOT a line-holding unit. Yeah they have the AoE damage and movement stopper, but they are bad in a melee even if Ikit's Forbidden Workshop upgrades, so if you want to have a tarpit I would go with Skavenslaves or Clanrats. This type of army is my favorite comp:

Obviously change it up as it suits your tastes, but I know that that lineup works - I had thirteen of those armies stomping around by the end of my Ikit Claw VH/VH campaign and I never lost a battle. You can attack and take a tier 5 settlement with a garrison enhancing building and a full stack in it, with no losses, with one those armies.

The one thing that can be damning to that army is bad terrain, but once to learn to watch for little rises that block the direct-fire LoS and that kind of stuff you should be fine.

I find Plague Priest is a must have for any Skaven army, such a great force multiplayer with summons and an overall great spell selection.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just started playing this game again since i've been on a light-RTS kick as of late. I decided to play as the Joan of Arc stand in.

I have no idea what i'm doing in tactical battles. Especially as Bretonnia. Game's fun though!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Choyi posted:

I find Plague Priest is a must have for any Skaven army, such a great force multiplayer with summons and an overall great spell selection.
This is a very good point! I started sticking one in each of these armies after a certain point because the summons and the utility are pretty great in a lot of circumstances. Being good in melee, a different set of spell selection, including the summons, being able to get Arcane Conduit, all of it is good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People focus on the guns for obvious reasons but skaven characters are really loving good. Rats that can roll around on various chariots and be infantry wasters and melee tanks (that your guns can effortlessly shoot around/through) are already good. And then all of them can bring another arcane conduit and one of two very good lores.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I wanted to say...following just the general advice in this thread has set me fourth on the first really enjoyable campaign I’ve been involved in. Cheers!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How should I be building vampire coast for sieges? Every time I run up against towers my poor zombies just get annihilated

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bring more cannons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or more giant ship men with cannons for arms.

It's a super gunpowder heavy faction so that's how you deal with sieges.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

There's a simple beauty in just crabbing in the front door

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Thanks guys, I meant more early game when trying to expand. Don't have access to the big boys yet

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
You need to tech to mortars, and get a bunch of them. Artillery is the queen of battle for a reason, and your frontline holds up a lot better when the opposing teams frontline was shot to hell on its way in. They do even better in sieges.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

Thanks guys, I meant more early game when trying to expand. Don't have access to the big boys yet

It may vary on which lord you started with. When I play as Harkon I sent him up on the wall by himself whilst using artillery and gunnery weights to pound the enemy into submission.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jarvisi posted:

artillery knocks down a tower, your monsters/lords/regular-punk-troops can open a door.

The realistic answer tho is: don't? Why are you attacking a settlement with walls as the vamps? You don't need to expand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spite?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you are playing as Harkon you do want to start dealing with the neighboring Lizard factions.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gamerofthegame posted:

artillery knocks down a tower, your monsters/lords/regular-punk-troops can open a door.

The realistic answer tho is: don't? Why are you attacking a settlement with walls as the vamps? You don't need to expand.

I wanted to take Italy for the ports :(

Also I wanted sartosa for the sweet trade goods

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
After a blast of playing Tomb Kings, I am now giving Clan Eshin a try, stepping it up and trying VH Campaign difficulty. Oh man does Clan Skyre spoil you and shield you from conventional skaven early game. I get that you're supposed to use a load of skavenslave chaff whilst flanking with Death/Night/Gutter Runners, but campaign wise it feels awkward. I feel like I am supposed to expand outward but at the same time most regions are vacant which actually feels like a detriment when you don't have a the income to really get them up to speed (More public order problems basically).

It almost feels like you're supposed to keep to one region and just sack/loot everything around you; perhaps taking advantage of that one trick wherein you let your home settlement rebel before taking it back and supercharging it up to a higher tier settlement. If anyone else has some trips on Clan Eshin I wouldn't mind hearing them, particularly campaign and/or contracts.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Always ambush. Get the blue trait to greatly boost ambush success. Kill their leader immediately with Sniktch and the army should break, even on VH. Also Eshin's skirmishers are pretty drat good because they're armor piercing.

Work on increasing the amount of assassins you can have and keep recruiting Disciplined ones and stack them in your army. It gets ridiculous when you get to 5 or 6. Eventually you'll have like 6 assassins, Sniktch, a wizard or two, and then a bunch of ratling guns and artillery able to effortlessly fire with no obstruction because your line is all heros. (Use wizards to summon chaff to screen the gunline).

Ultimately though I wouldn't recommend skaven as your first foray into VH, at least not VH battle difficulty as the early game as anyone not Skryre can be pretty brutal.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 25, 2020

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

If anyone else has some trips on Clan Eshin I wouldn't mind hearing them, particularly campaign and/or contracts.

My favorite Eshin army was Sniktch, an Assassin, an Eshin Sorcerer, 2x Death Runners, 2x Triads, 8x Gutter Runners, 4x Gutter Runner Slinger, and a Warp Grinder.

Deploy the regular Gutter Runners right up close to the enemy army with skirmish on, then forget about them. They'll run all over the place and the enemy army will scatter trying to chase them in every direction. Use the slingers to focus fire enemy ranged. Death Runners pick off dangerous infantry units - wait for them to get separated from their buddies, then hit them from both sides. Triads do the same for cavalry. Sniktch and the heroes pick off enemy lord, heroes, and monsters. Warp Grinder can be parked in the corner, it's just for sieges.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Thank you for swift replies. Just to clarify, I am playing VH Campaign/H Battles, as I don't really like how the nature of the stacking bonuses when it comes to enemy armies; the process invalidating a lot of units and fun strategies.

That said the idea of actively separating the enemy army like that is a curious one and honestly a break from using a load of skaven slaves as the worlds flimsiest anvil for Gutter Runners to hammer. I assume ambush battles are a similar setup?

As said campaign wise is the real tricky part, as the starting Orc army is a lot more involved than what I am used to defeat, whilst the areas around Eshin are vacant. As said it almost feels like you're encouraged to get Sniktch up a lot of levels and give him a proper army before you really start advancing outward. It's why I was asking about the idea of building up enough food whilst letting your starting province rebel; taking it and supercharging it up to tier iv.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for swift replies. Just to clarify, I am playing VH Campaign/H Battles, as I don't really like how the nature of the stacking bonuses when it comes to enemy armies; the process invalidating a lot of units and fun strategies.

That said the idea of actively separating the enemy army like that is a curious one and honestly a break from using a load of skaven slaves as the worlds flimsiest anvil for Gutter Runners to hammer. I assume ambush battles are a similar setup?

As said campaign wise is the real tricky part, as the starting Orc army is a lot more involved than what I am used to defeat, whilst the areas around Eshin are vacant. As said it almost feels like you're encouraged to get Sniktch up a lot of levels and give him a proper army before you really start advancing outward. It's why I was asking about the idea of building up enough food whilst letting your starting province rebel; taking it and supercharging it up to tier iv.

With vanguard deployment for your basic units, the difference between an ambush and a regular battle isn't really significant.

Food is a problem for any Skaven faction. Maintaining a small land holding can be a sound strategy for any Skaven lord. If you keep expanding in terms of conquest or province development, you will never be able to catch up on food without constant battle victories. The only way to get ahead of the food game is to send out a Warlock Engineer to establish undercities which are intended to farm food. You should spent a good 10 turns sending your first Engineer out to a place you don't expect to ever conquer and establishing an undercity there. Build a kill perch, the mining building that provides a chance of undercity spread, and a food building. Each time the undercity spreads, build a food building. Keep your Engineer wandering and establish 3-4 of these locations throughout the map. Each one should have an expansion building at the original undercity point. The only way you can get ahead on food consistently without undercities is through possession of several pasture or other special locations that offer food through special buildings.

Also, fighting orcs with Eshin is a breeze. The autoresolves aren't favorable, but orcs are slow and have poo poo ranged. Eshin skirmishers will devour them (literally) with minimal losses, regardless of what the autoresolves say. Never be afraid to go toe to toe with the orcs, ignore the power bar.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 26, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

litany of gulps posted:

With vanguard deployment for your basic units, the difference between an ambush and a regular battle isn't really significant.

The leadership penalty on the ambushed enemy units is pretty important at higher difficulties.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

litany of gulps posted:

Also, fighting orcs with Eshin is a breeze. The autoresolves aren't favorable, but orcs are slow and have poo poo ranged. Eshin skirmishers will devour them (literally) with minimal losses, regardless of what the autoresolves say. Never be afraid to go toe to toe with the orcs, ignore the power bar.

To add onto this, skaven in general have poor autoresolve rates and thus a poor bar, so take big "chances" in taking fights. You'll do fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Resting Lich Face posted:

The leadership penalty on the ambushed enemy units is pretty important at higher difficulties.

Yeah anything that adds map wide buffs or debuffs to units is very powerful. Plus starting closer to your enemies is always good, stops them getting into position at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

litany of gulps posted:

Food is a problem for any Skaven faction. Maintaining a small land holding can be a sound strategy for any Skaven lord. If you keep expanding in terms of conquest or province development, you will never be able to catch up on food without constant battle victories. The only way to get ahead of the food game is to send out a Warlock Engineer to establish undercities which are intended to farm food. You should spent a good 10 turns sending your first Engineer out to a place you don't expect to ever conquer and establishing an undercity there. Build a kill perch, the mining building that provides a chance of undercity spread, and a food building. Each time the undercity spreads, build a food building. Keep your Engineer wandering and establish 3-4 of these locations throughout the map. Each one should have an expansion building at the original undercity point. The only way you can get ahead on food consistently without undercities is through possession of several pasture or other special locations that offer food through special buildings.

I usually go with "Deeper Tunnels" both because its cheaper and it means I dont need to see what the dumb AI is doing all game. Only exceptions are strategic locations where I would want to see an army coming my way or something.

Late game with Ikit Claw I was putting the first level of Kill Perch, Deeper Tunnels, and both food buildings in every undercity. I could conquer at will and put every settlement at max level without hesitation because I had every city and gate on Ulthuan pumping 5 food at me. It was nuts.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm deep in an Eshin Clan campaign on VH/N going mostly 'pure' Eshin with just a Warp Grinder in each list for sieges and I'm finding that AP Gutter/NIght Runners can do a lot of work. In some cases you can blow all of your ammo w/o taking many losses, concede, and then mop them up on the second battle. The Khemrian desert and everything east of it is mine now, and I'm working my way up the badlands.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I got this game and TW: Warhammer 1 a while ago. Is there any point in playing 1 outside of the campaign?

Also I read the primer in the Total War general thread. Are there any other starting tips?

Played through several battles as Lizardmen. So far it's pretty rad and is pretty much what I remember of Warhammer: Fantasy Battle

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I got this game and TW: Warhammer 1 a while ago. Is there any point in playing 1 outside of the campaign?

Also I read the primer in the Total War general thread. Are there any other starting tips?

Played through several battles as Lizardmen. So far it's pretty rad and is pretty much what I remember of Warhammer: Fantasy Battle

There is no reason to play TWW1 if you have them both. The only thing it really has over TWW2 Mortal Empires is better lighting on some old world maps, which is kinda nice but not worth what you lose.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It used to be the turn times in Mortal Empires were intolerable, long enough that it was worthwhile to just play TWW1 if you wanted to play an oldworld faction. However, CA figured out some magic that let them cut them by 60% a few months back. So, not really much reason, additionally most of the TWW1 factions have had new content added to TWW2 that is not backwards compatible.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

-Eshin Advice-

I think this pertains to something I wasn't really grasping with Eshin units actually. My usual go-to was to have a bulk of disposable slave rats whom would soak up the enemy line whilst I essentially used Gutter/Night/Death Runners as a hammer to the worlds softest anvil. Previous experience with Vanguard Deployment and Skirmishers was essentially them being hidden but caught out and charged/shot up by the enemy, or skirmishing but being outgunned by enemy archers. Additionally confirmation bias with Skirmish Mode meant that I felt it'd only ensure chased units were uselessly pushed into the corner and died. The idea of allowing a large part of your army to just run around like that is something I need to try. Thing is though, how do you deal with Slingers being chased around, given they now cannot fire?

Also yeah the concept of building up a holding and expanding outward with levels and experiences feels far better than awkwardly trying to expand into territory which constantly is costing you a large amount of gold (early on) with little to show for it for a long time; the food demands also being a concern. A bit of a trip for an any Warlock Master of Eshin, but it feels like it'd be easy enough to settle somewhere like Lustria.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
VH Mortal Empires Empire campaign done, after 199 turns. Slowed down a lot by a bad start dealing with empire rebels along with two different orc factions in the first 20 turns, along with a misguided attempt to colonize Norsca, and dealing with Archaon solo.

On to trying out Malus, definitely an interesting playstyle with giving up Hag Graef and rushing Rite of the Warmaster. Going bankrupt every few turns sucks but at least I can steamroll every army I come across for now. Not sure if it'll be sustainable in the long term though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SkySteak posted:

I think this pertains to something I wasn't really grasping with Eshin units actually. My usual go-to was to have a bulk of disposable slave rats whom would soak up the enemy line whilst I essentially used Gutter/Night/Death Runners as a hammer to the worlds softest anvil. Previous experience with Vanguard Deployment and Skirmishers was essentially them being hidden but caught out and charged/shot up by the enemy, or skirmishing but being outgunned by enemy archers. Additionally confirmation bias with Skirmish Mode meant that I felt it'd only ensure chased units were uselessly pushed into the corner and died. The idea of allowing a large part of your army to just run around like that is something I need to try. Thing is though, how do you deal with Slingers being chased around, given they now cannot fire?

Also yeah the concept of building up a holding and expanding outward with levels and experiences feels far better than awkwardly trying to expand into territory which constantly is costing you a large amount of gold (early on) with little to show for it for a long time; the food demands also being a concern. A bit of a trip for an any Warlock Master of Eshin, but it feels like it'd be easy enough to settle somewhere like Lustria.

The standard dudes are actual skirmishers and can fire on the move. I can see leaning hard into that being a pretty viable strategy, though against Bretonnia or giant Silver Helm stacks it might run into issue. Not a real problem for Eshin tho, at least not for awhile.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 26, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Skaven (Eshin specifically) would probably benefit the most from some kind of War Wagon esque mobile artillery pieces. Could be interesting to go REALLY skirmish heavy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's kind of what a doomwheel is.

Though you could also have several death globadiers riding a hell pit abomination.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i wish legendary still let you use slow motion in battles. im missing so much beautiful carnage without it

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

No (except possibly for the Wood Elves - their campaign didn't translate well) - but if you have 1 on your steam account 2 has the Mortal Empires map which also includes the factions from 1.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
sweet sounds like I can just skip 1 and get straight to smashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there anything interesting about a High-Elf campaign? They look like they are focused on trade and diplomacy which are very simple systems in TW:W2.