Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was feeling lazy before a comedy show Saturday night and decided to valet my FiST. The garage is literally just down the parking lot, so I figured there's not really any chance for any problems.

I was wrong. The car smelled of clutch when it was brought back to me and they told me the guy who had taken it initially didn't know how to drive stick. The smell wasn't strong over the other smells in the area and it drove fine in a quick check, so I just figured it wasn't any worse than when I've taught some friends to drive it and went home. I did a few 6th gear pulls and didn't get any slip, so I wasn't too concerned.

When I got home I pulled the card from my dashcam and watched the video. I'm not going to post it publicly at the moment but suffice it to say he stalled it on a ~20% grade and rode the clutch so hard on the restart he didn't actually make it to the top. Other drivers in the garage came running out to stop him and take over. By the time I was done copying the video off and went to put the card back in my car my whole garage smelled strongly of clutch, and this was after a 30 minute highway drive.

I called the dealer and they said there's no easy way to properly inspect it without enough labor that you may as well just replace it while you're in there. I have a hard time believing I'll have any luck getting the valet company to pay for that without evidence of damage, so is there anything else I could do to determine the state of the clutch without having to split the trans from the engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ugh that sucks and is the reason I never, ever valet a manual.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wolrah posted:

I was feeling lazy before a comedy show Saturday night and decided to valet my FiST. The garage is literally just down the parking lot, so I figured there's not really any chance for any problems.

I was wrong. The car smelled of clutch when it was brought back to me and they told me the guy who had taken it initially didn't know how to drive stick. The smell wasn't strong over the other smells in the area and it drove fine in a quick check, so I just figured it wasn't any worse than when I've taught some friends to drive it and went home. I did a few 6th gear pulls and didn't get any slip, so I wasn't too concerned.

When I got home I pulled the card from my dashcam and watched the video. I'm not going to post it publicly at the moment but suffice it to say he stalled it on a ~20% grade and rode the clutch so hard on the restart he didn't actually make it to the top. Other drivers in the garage came running out to stop him and take over. By the time I was done copying the video off and went to put the card back in my car my whole garage smelled strongly of clutch, and this was after a 30 minute highway drive.

I called the dealer and they said there's no easy way to properly inspect it without enough labor that you may as well just replace it while you're in there. I have a hard time believing I'll have any luck getting the valet company to pay for that without evidence of damage, so is there anything else I could do to determine the state of the clutch without having to split the trans from the engine?

I'm pretty sure one lovely driving incident isn't going to burn your whole clutch to death. I learned to drive stick the hard way in my last car and the clutch went 9 years/140k before i sold it and it was fine

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Organic clutches are fairly forgiving for being overheated. Not great that it happened but it might not be as bad.

On the other hand, this is entirely their fault for negligent operation of your vehicle that resulted in excess wear and tear that'll directly result in a financial loss due to having to replace components earlier than the standard maintenance interval. Your best bet would be to become a pain in their rear end until they do something to address it. Use the video as evidence and don't give up.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, even if it's fine now, they put a ton of wear on that clutch that shouldn't be there. You should be compensated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i went to the loving Detroit Athletic Club (which is very fancy if you're not familiar, and they make you valet your car) and the guy didn't know how to drive stick. what the gently caress?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah you would think being able to drive stick would be a requirement to get hired, or at the very least have at least one guy on every shift that is able to in case one comes along.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MunchE posted:

I'm pretty sure one lovely driving incident isn't going to burn your whole clutch to death. I learned to drive stick the hard way in my last car and the clutch went 9 years/140k before i sold it and it was fine
I have taught a bunch of people to drive stick in my cars over the years and never has the car ended up smelling anywhere close to this bad. The video is painful to watch for anyone with mechanical sympathy. I will eventually post at least some portion of it, but whether or not I leave the parts that show where it happened depends on how they respond.

That said...

Bajaha posted:

Organic clutches are fairly forgiving for being overheated. Not great that it happened but it might not be as bad.

On the other hand, this is entirely their fault for negligent operation of your vehicle that resulted in excess wear and tear that'll directly result in a financial loss due to having to replace components earlier than the standard maintenance interval. Your best bet would be to become a pain in their rear end until they do something to address it. Use the video as evidence and don't give up.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.
This is pretty much my thought process at this point. The clutch still seems to be functioning fine as far as I can determine from the driver's seat, but some unknown amount of miles were taken off of it. Basically the same as if someone had done a burnout, but harder to tell how bad it exactly was.

I'm going to speak with the site manager today, we shall see what they have to say.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah you would think being able to drive stick would be a requirement to get hired, or at the very least have at least one guy on every shift that is able to in case one comes along.
According to the other valet who brought the car back to me, the guy who took it initially had lied about being able to drive stick. From how he stalled it literally right off the line he lied pretty hard, it's not like the FiST clutch is tricky or anything.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

wolrah posted:

According to the other valet who brought the car back to me, the guy who took it initially had lied about being able to drive stick. From how he stalled it literally right off the line he lied pretty hard, it's not like the FiST clutch is tricky or anything.

Even more reason for them to want to make this right with you: they don’t even do the most basic skill verification of the staff they hire to look after customers’ cars. Sad.

Like, how loving hard is it to provide a service like theirs with no issues like this? They just need a place to park cars, and people who are able to drive them. That’s it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not saying they shouldn’t do something, but I cannot imagine there’s going to be any making right beyond a halfhearted apology. Best case is a sincere apology and vague promise to make it right somehow, sometime later, that never comes to fruition.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

powderific posted:

Not saying they shouldn’t do something, but I cannot imagine there’s going to be any making right beyond a halfhearted apology. Best case is a sincere apology and vague promise to make it right somehow, sometime later, that never comes to fruition.
This is pretty much what I'm expecting at this point, but since the smell of clutch has left the exterior entirely (still a bit stuck in the HVAC) and everything seems to be working normally I have a hard time coming up with a reason to demand anything more than that and a refund.

If they were to ask me right now for what I thought was fair, I'd probably say a refund, a detail job at a shop local to me to get the smell entirely out, and a written agreement to cover replacement costs if problems show up within a reasonable number of miles. The car's already at 86,000 miles, I don't know what the average life expectancy of a clutch is but I'd imagine if no problems show themselves within a few thousand miles then it probably wasn't anything worse than some extra wear.

To be honest, I go to the venue I was at often enough that if I really wanted to push for getting some value out of it I'd ask for a parking pass for a year or two. It's a really convenient spot, I'd just drive my girlfriend's shitbox automatic Matrix when I went there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've done some heinous clutch abuse by accident, and I've never smelled burning clutch for more than a minute or two. I mean... Jesus.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
take it back and tell them to smoke the whole pack clutch and buy you a new one once they're done

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

To be honest, I go to the venue I was at often enough that if I really wanted to push for getting some value out of it I'd ask for a parking pass for a year or two. It's a really convenient spot, I'd just drive my girlfriend's shitbox automatic Matrix when I went there.

Ok this actually seems like something you could maybe get.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Opinions on the Hyundai i30N?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

bowmore posted:

It is a very well-regarded hot hatch.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

bowmore posted:

I love my Elantra GT Sport, if it was faster and came in that awesome blue I’d like it even more.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was looking yesterday at remaining new 2019 FiST in stock and boy are they real optimistic on pricing. Especially considering that none of them have recaros.

There's one that I'm tempted to shoot an email and see if they'll play ball.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

I was looking yesterday at remaining new 2019 FiST in stock and boy are they real optimistic on pricing. Especially considering that none of them have recaros.

There's one that I'm tempted to shoot an email and see if they'll play ball.

The dealership I'm getting my xB from dropped the OTD price $2k within a matter of minutes just texting the salesman. Once they realized I was balking they got desperate I guess, I told them their dealer fee ($950) was goddamn ridiculous.

Dealership fees are getting out of hand it's a bullshit way for them to recover more money after negotiating on the price of the car, that why you always negotiate the Out the Door price.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those of you who purchased new FiSTs, what do you think a good OTD price for a remaining stock 2019 model with everything but the Recaros would be?

The quotes I've gotten are less than what TrueCar is saying, but I swear some of you either got great deals or are lying :p .

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
17-18 otd

i paid 20 with recaros sunroof and nav

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Tax, title, registration, and dealer doc fees can swing wildly from state -- this may be why you are seeing a wide spread.

I'm sure there are FiST threads where people post their cost pre-TTL.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Naw, the dealer and tax fees are pretty comparable among the ones I've looked at.... it's the list price they won't budge from. Best I can figure is that at several points Ford offered a $3K incentive (plus your military/first responder/college discounts) aaaaand that's not offered now. In a way, the dealers left with them are hung out to dry by Ford.

I'll just keep looking for a low-mileage '16+ (that's the years that can get the updated Sync3 for Android Auto right?) private party. Probably not a great time to pick up an unnecessary debt with all the poo poo going on, anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Naw, the dealer and tax fees are pretty comparable among the ones I've looked at.... it's the list price they won't budge from. Best I can figure is that at several points Ford offered a $3K incentive (plus your military/first responder/college discounts) aaaaand that's not offered now. In a way, the dealers left with them are hung out to dry by Ford.

I'll just keep looking for a low-mileage '16+ (that's the years that can get the updated Sync3 for Android Auto right?) private party. Probably not a great time to pick up an unnecessary debt with all the poo poo going on, anyway.

Wait a few weeks and you can start picking them up from estate sales.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yikes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah if I were you I'd hold off on any major purchase like that.

To be honest I was really struggling with purchasing my new xB without selling my old one on Friday, but it worked out that I had a buyer on the same day luckily. Took less cash than i initially wanted for it, but it was worth not having to worry about it, now we have the cash instead of a car collecting dust with no one looking to buy any time soon.

If I wouldn't have put a non refundable deposit on the new one over a week ago I probably would have said gently caress it all together, but thankfully everything worked out.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Thinking of replacing my Saabaru with a Mk7 GTI but I’m not sure what trim or options to look for. Can someone clue me in? I guess there was a performance pack on 2017+?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There was a Sport trim for the ‘17 which is basically a SE without the moon roof or leather seats. It’s what I have and I’m very happy with it. Do know that the “sport” portion is a 10HP bump so YMMV and that ‘17 was the last year they had the trim. Newer years have then 10HP rolled in be default so you’re gonna have to go SE for the bits and bops you may want.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm unsure if the performance pack is the same in the US, but in Europe it's +10hp and most importantly, an LSD. I'd say it's worth it simply because of the diff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's an e-diff so it wont help with traction off the line but it does pretty well for helping in the turns.

the performance pack was optional (and thus, not ordered) for most GTIs 15-17, but was a standard option on the Sport trim in 2017 (only year for that trim).

for 2018+ the perf package is standard on SE/Autobahn trims.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15096088/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-tested-review/

im at 29k miles on my Sport, flashed the ecu and tcu last spring and i have no regrets. it's stupid fast for a fwd car.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The EU PP comes with a mechanical LSD.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it was probably incorrectly marketed that it had a mechanical diff but it does not

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...q-works.351185/

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh, how incredibly needlessly complicated. Learn something every day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The sport trim is great if you don't want or need leather and a sunroof. It coming with the lighting package and performance package was more than enough for me.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

The upgraded lights (any Sport trim or GTI with the LP) make a huge difference over the base halogens .

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 25, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

it was probably incorrectly marketed that it had a mechanical diff but it does not

Wow, that's actually pretty interesting and not a thing I realized was a thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

That's a really good forum post.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Also, as an owner of an '18 GTI, it will spin both wheels off the line.

I've had it for about a year and a half, I've got 65k kms on it (40k miles approx) and still love it. It does just about everything really well, it's comfortable for long drives (I did a 1200km trip with only bathroom and food stops), gets reasonable fuel economy (though one trip I took last summer for work, driving through northern NY I managed 5.3L/100km or 44.4 mpg - 70mph, cruise set, flat terrain, minimal traffic). I fully intend to keep it for another 10 years, especially now that I'm not driving 55k kms every year.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

My '16 GTI 2 door LP/PP was a lot of fun for 2 .5 years, but I don't miss it after selling it 2 months ago. I would definitely not own one outside of warranty. All this talk of e-diffs I never thought it was that great to be honest. I always drove the car like I stole it and it seemed to stumble over itself when taking corners under power, even with the e-diff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you have the stock tires on it the entire time? imo it's actually really effective, especially with better tires