Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: macOS 10.15.4 has dropped. :siren:

Along with Security Update 2020-002 for High Sierra and Mojave.

Be advised there are BootROM updates for nearly all machines in these updates except for (sad trombone) the Mac Pro 5,1.

Edit: BootROM updates also include the latest microcode updates for Intel CPUs against Spectre and Meltdown.

Oh man how do I update Mojave without over-updating and ending up in Catalina? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
In the software update sysprefs there's a link that says "Other updates are available." Click that and you'll get all your 10.14 patches.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Has anyone been able to successfully create a windows 10 boot USB on Catalina? I'm trying to do a fresh install on a Thinkpad and all I have is my MBP to create the disk. I used to use BootCamp to do this but it looks like that's not an option anymore as it just wants the ISO.

Is my only bet here to spin up a VM and create it there?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tuyop posted:

Oh man how do I update Mojave without over-updating and ending up in Catalina? :ohdear:

Go to System Preferences > Software Update and instead of selecting the upgrade to Catalina, there should be a blurb saying additional updates are available.

Click on the words More Info highlighted in blue in that window and an additional window pops up with those updates.

Click 'Install Now' but only at this additional window.

Only the listed updates will install, not Crapalina.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Go to System Preferences > Software Update and instead of selecting the upgrade to Catalina, there should be a blurb saying additional updates are available.

Click on the words More Info highlighted in blue in that window and an additional window pops up with those updates.

Click 'Install Now' but only at this additional window.

Only the listed updates will install, not Crapalina.

Thanks! And to anyone else who helped.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tuyop posted:

Thanks! And to anyone else who helped.

Also, if you want to never see the Catalina update,

code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
System Preferences will still show you that there is an update, but it won’t appear in the Software Updates pref pane.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 25, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Might want to use single quotes up there, double quotes throw you into the shell

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Beyond incompatibility with 32-bit apps, and the Mail.app data loss issue (which may or may not be fixed now,) what are the remaining reasons for not upgrading to Catalina?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Quite literally if it ain't broke don't fix it. I heard enough horror stories last year to even want to bother with it. There's a 90% chance it will work flawlessly with all of my apps and my current workflow but there's also not really a reason for me to upgrade anyway. Mojave is pretty solid.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I like Mojave too, but Catalina does have a few features I'd like to use, and at this stage I'm not really seeing a specific reason not to upgrade beyond Catalina's enduring bad reputation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Beyond incompatibility with 32-bit apps, and the Mail.app data loss issue (which may or may not be fixed now,) what are the remaining reasons for not upgrading to Catalina?

For me it’s that I don’t have time to troubleshoot and no money to replace anything that I use for work that this breaks. And the shift away from iTunes, especially for audiobooks, just sucks for me and I don’t want to deal with it.

Would love to use sidecar though.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Catalina's handling of audiobooks is astonishingly bad, and as far as I know it's not gotten any better since the initial release. I have a lot of audiobooks, and I can't think of any features that Catalina offers to make it worth it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Catalina also follows iOS where your boot drive gets partitioned into one for the actual System and the other support files.

It's a little nightmarish to follow and even worse to try to alter anything system related. All part of Apple's seemingly idiotic drive to hide everything from the user.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Yeah my 2013 rMBP is staying on Mojave until it's time to retire it. I have Office 2011 that works for what I need office for which I'd have to replace, as well as some scanner software. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

90% of MacOS updates seem to be so userland-software focused anyway, and I don't use Safari or most of their first party apps beyond like iTunes and Notes, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Sidecar would be neat but I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy a new laptop to use it anyway. And an iPad!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Same. Got a 2013 rMBP. Might need to replace the battery on it as its down around 80% but it's chugging along just fine on Mojave. There's one piece of software that I use which is 32bit and won't be updated. I've read about changes with Catalina and none of them jump out as important. I'll get the 2021/22 14“ and move on then.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

It's a little nightmarish to follow and even worse to try to alter anything system related. All part of Apple's seemingly idiotic drive to hide everything from the user.

This definitely a security thing, not a user experience thing

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I held out for so drat long with my 2012 rMBP.

I recently changed the battery and got rid of the delaminating screen with some Clorox wipes...

https://twitter.com/absolutelyderek/status/1237556508293877760

https://twitter.com/absolutelyderek/status/1238664869462884352

This past week I went through the listings of outdated apps via Go64 and removed quite a bit of cruft. I installed Catalina and... the world didn't stop. I find my 2012 works *FAR* better in regards to FPS during scrolling and lack of chug/low FPS with Expose/Screens. The UI seems so much more responsive now without dropped frames! I can't tell if this is removal of some apps (or lower level cruft) or Catalina itself.

iTunes to Music isn't my *favorite* as it seems much less responsive but my music transferred without issue. Album art is lost for quite a bit of items though... bleh.

I will miss Turbo Boost Switcher Pro as it makes my temps stay in control (as I disable the stupid turbo boost 99% of the time).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I find catalina (or maybe just safari 13) to be a little slower than mojave but not enough that I've given serious thought to trying to downgrade, and it may all be in my head anyway. I haven't actually encountered any of the myriad bugs everyone else has had (probably because I don't use the mail app).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I got my MA970LL 3,1 onto High Sierra today so I don't have to strap my MBP to the desk so, thanks, quarantine?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

jink posted:

I held out for so drat long with my 2012 rMBP.

I recently changed the battery and got rid of the delaminating screen with some Clorox wipes...

https://twitter.com/absolutelyderek/status/1237556508293877760

Is that what that is? The hand me down pro I got when the Mrs. upgraded had that around the edges. I always thought it was from a cheap screen protector or something. Can that still be fixed?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Warbird posted:

Is that what that is? The hand me down pro I got when the Mrs. upgraded had that around the edges. I always thought it was from a cheap screen protector or something. Can that still be fixed?

It's due to a really crappy anti-reflective coating that gets eaten away by finger oils and the keyboard pressing against it. Apple had a replacement program up to 4 years from manufacturing of the laptop. My 2012 is well out of that period. https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

The Clorox wipes remove the anti-reflective coating completely. It is super reflective but consistently reflective now. I am happier.

jink fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 26, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: macOS 10.15.4 has dropped. :siren:

Along with Security Update 2020-002 for High Sierra and Mojave.

Be advised there are BootROM updates for nearly all machines in these updates except for (sad trombone) the Mac Pro 5,1.

Edit: BootROM updates also include the latest microcode updates for Intel CPUs against Spectre and Meltdown.

Updated both my Macs which pissed my wife off who's WFH...oops. Sorry for hogging the internet for 15 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have an email that goes to like...50 people.

One of them is a Mac user, uses the Apple Mail client, and gets attachments as 'winmail.dat' sometimes.

What's the cure?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

We have an email that goes to like...50 people.

One of them is a Mac user, uses the Apple Mail client, and gets attachments as 'winmail.dat' sometimes.

What's the cure?

Install outlook

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Install outlook

Yep. Sometimes I used to get .eml if someone dragged an email thread into a new message. That required a non-free reader to see a crap formatted version, so I finally said gently caress it and installed Outlook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Install outlook

lol like a lawyer can afford that

TNEF, also known as the Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format, Outlook Rich Text Format, or Exchange Rich Text Format, is a Microsoft-specific format for encapsulating MAPI message properties. All versions of Outlook fully support TNEF. Outlook on the web (formerly known as Outlook Web App) translates TNEF into MAPI and displays the formatted messages. Other email clients that don't support TNEF typically display TNEF formatted messages as plain text messages with Winmail.dat or Win.dat attachments.

Going to try disabling it for his domain on our Exchange server.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Re: Catalina talk

Holy poo poo if you don't have a solid reason, just don't upgrade. Suddenly all the 32-bit apps you didn't think you missed will spring up. I am baffled as to what the benefit of removing 32-bit support is.

I'm in the middle of shooting online videos for a class, but as soon as it clears, I'm going to hack my way back to Mojave and ride that out on this machine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Catalina is the line in the sand.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'll probably wait until I get new hardware, but I'm still sour about having to give up Creative Suite and QuickTime Pro. (Fortunately, I'm not doing creative work right now, but I do think CC is a ripoff.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

High Sierra for lyfe

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bob Morales posted:

High Sierra for lyfe
Dark mode though...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I finally got a 5700XT so Catalina is in my future...

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

~Coxy posted:

Lets just say I know its possible to make it work on HS.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

lord funk posted:

Re: Catalina talk

Holy poo poo if you don't have a solid reason, just don't upgrade. Suddenly all the 32-bit apps you didn't think you missed will spring up.

Don't forget about 64-bit apps that still have 32-bit installers! If you upgrade with the app installed, you're fine, but if you try to install after the upgrade, you're hosed.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Toast Museum posted:

Don't forget about 64-bit apps that still have 32-bit installers! If you upgrade with the app installed, you're fine, but if you try to install after the upgrade, you're hosed.

Yup, and there are also 64-bit apps that have some 32-bit dependencies that will have complete modules not function properly. MacOS' 64-bit flag (in System Information) is not a clear indicator of Catalina compatibility.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Could it have something to do with preparing for the ARM processor switch?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mu Zeta posted:

Could it have something to do with preparing for the ARM processor switch?

no.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

~Coxy posted:

AMD still hasn't fully optimized their Navi drivers for macOS / Metal though. But once they do things should be pretty good.

At the very least Rob Art at BareFeats will get to make a post about it..

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Splinter posted:

Yup, and there are also 64-bit apps that have some 32-bit dependencies that will have complete modules not function properly. MacOS' 64-bit flag (in System Information) is not a clear indicator of Catalina compatibility.
Go64 will inform you where that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Re: 64/32-bit talk, if you have something you really want to use then you can use virtualization to run an older version of macOS. As long as you have a reasonable amount of ram available that’s probably a better solution than running an ancient OS.