Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is any place offering a pre-order on this for cheaper than $60? Amazon usually does with new releases but they appear to not have this up for preorder at all somehow.

Amazon is currently in emergency mode due to the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ImpAtom posted:

Amazon is currently in emergency mode due to the pandemic.

Yeah, just thought it was odd since they're still doing preorders for games that come out after this one and Walmart / SE are still filling orders.

Trying to have a quarantine nostalgia trip without giving Walmart money if I can avoid it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elentor posted:

My PS4 should arrive any day now I'm so excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM_YB1sE

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm going to use Jessie for the entire game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I gave her all my best items... the greatest tragedy of them all.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1243092570936205319?s=20

FROZ

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

dimondust

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is it too early to speculate that they would do an FF8 remake? They could probably use a similar combat system instead of the old draw system, the game did have some spectacular settings and soundtrack as well.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

infraboy posted:

Is it too early to speculate that they would do an FF8 remake? They could probably use a similar combat system instead of the old draw system, the game did have some spectacular settings and soundtrack as well.

Oh boy. Not for many years. A decade at minimum.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
remake FFX, or just add cheats to get ultimate weapons without the incredible unfun end-game sidequests

or fighting the Dark Aeons in the remaster

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

infraboy posted:

I really don't see that happening. VIII is great, but it doesn't have one tenth of the mainstream popularity that VII has.

Non gamers hear Final Fantasy VII and go "oh yeah, Cloud, big sword goth guy, I remember that". I don't think any other FF game would garner the same sort of familiarity. I can't see Square pouring the same level of time and resources into any of the others.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the FF7R Demo :dance:

stev posted:

I really don't see that happening. VIII is great, but it doesn't have one tenth of the mainstream popularity that VII has.

Non gamers hear Final Fantasy VII and go "oh yeah, Cloud, big sword goth guy, I remember that". I don't think any other FF game would garner the same sort of familiarity. I can't see Square pouring the same level of time and resources into any of the others.

Not to sound like a broken record, but, Vagrant Stor-

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FF8 is the one that actually needs it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't polish a turd

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The low effort FF8 remaster is all we're getting, that's for drat sure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They'll demake it to look like the V and VI mobile ports.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
An FF9 demake would be the tits

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IX is practically perfect in every single way. It and VI should be left alone.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperterra posted:

I keep telling people this but no one believes me :negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I agree about 6

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

esperterra posted:

I mean you could make the battles move a lot faster.

You could also make the WoR not suck but that's just my two cents hot take

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I played the FF7R Demo :dance:

https://i.imgur.com/MwP9V5t.mp4 :peanut:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean you could make the battles move a lot faster.

You could also make the WoR not suck but that's just my two cents hot take

The remaster lets you speed poo poo up, which is good enough for me!

Also WoR owns.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

IX is my favorite FF game and it's drat near perfect except for the slow battle speed, which the console / PC port fixed with an easy fast forward button.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

esperterra posted:

Also WoR owns.

If by "owns" you mean "destroys all the pacing and character interaction that made the WoB so excellent" then sure

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The remastered 8 and 9 are great

I've got 8 on my Switch Lite and besides looking fantastic resolution wise, the x3 speed means Drawing 100 spells is only slightly very annoying. Plus it's on sale for like 10 bucks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ace Transmuter posted:

If by "owns" you mean "destroys all the pacing and character interaction that made the WoB so excellent" then sure

I never felt like the WoR destroyed the pacing, and there's plenty of story to be had for where you are in the game. It's like a third of the way through and is the big tragedy that leads into the climax-- gather your team back up, or not, and go defeat the bad dude.

WoR has so much good character poo poo in it. Some characters kinda get the shaft, but meh it's a big cast and it's amazing each character (barring like, Mog and Umaro) gets as much as they do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always thought the WoR actually had better plot stuff generally. The stuff with Locke and Celes anyway

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
WoR owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RPGs don't have pacing because I spend hours grinding poo poo anyway

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Terra's whole thing is amazing, too. Most of the core characters other than, like, Sabin tbh, get some hefty story poo poo in WoR.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They already said they want to remake FFV, which I'm fine with it they keep it super cartoony and add a built-in Fiesta feature.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I want a gritty as gently caress VI remaster. The cartoony look of every existing port doesn't suit it at all.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
WoR for me is much better in concept than I'm execution. FFVI is, conceptually, about the strength of community. So turning the game into Celes building the party back up to take down Kefka together (while everyone else has either given up, moved on, or decided they were going to do poo poo on their own) was a good decision. The non-linearity combined with the cart limitations ruined it, though.

So while yes, some characters do get interesting (if optional) moments and some of them even get real character development, the problem is it all happens in isolation. Every character does their thing essentially on their own, which is not only so much less interesting and engaging but also actively contradictory to the game's main theme.

Sabin gets, I think, maybe one line in the entire Gerad saga, if that. That, I think, is emblematic of the problem with the WoR.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Sabin gets, I think, maybe one line in the entire Gerad saga, if that. That, I think, is emblematic of the problem with the WoR.

That would be because Sabin is an optional character to pick up. The game just puts him squarely in your path, so most people wind up getting him before they go to Edgar.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That would be because Sabin is an optional character to pick up. The game just puts him squarely in your path, so most people wind up getting him before they go to Edgar.

I mean, I think that's the point. Since almost every character is optional, they didn't program in different scenario variations based on who you had in your party (probably wasn't room on the cart), resulting in very little personal interaction. But I still love the WoR for all its warts.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 26, 2020

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, I think that's the point.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Ace Transmuter posted:

The non-linearity combined with the cart limitations ruined it, though.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Can't polish a turd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rax27_ZIVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Had my receipt for two Butterfingers rejected two or three weeks ago, but Tuesday they sent me a couple emails for the theme and all the DLC tiers.

Ok. Thank you, Butterfinger.