Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Achtane posted:

Nah, it's the latter. And yep, it's the 2.4. Thanks for the leads, I haven't even gotten a chance to really check it out yet. There was a lot going on at the time and we didn't get it home 'til dark. It does seem pretty simple, and I especially like that there's a very minimal amount of previous owner electrical rigging going on under the hood.

Pull a plug after trying to crank it. If it's wet, your distributor or coil took a poo poo (there's an optical pickup inside the distributor). If it's not wet, the ECU isn't firing the injectors for some reason (probably sensors) or the fuel pump took a poo poo (... always fun if the tank is full). Or some dipshit put diesel in it.

They really are simple motors, and they'll run with nearly every sensor unplugged, so long as you have MAP and crank position it'll fire up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

STR posted:

Pull a plug after trying to crank it. If it's wet, your distributor or coil took a poo poo (there's an optical pickup inside the distributor). If it's not wet, the ECU isn't firing the injectors for some reason (probably sensors) or the fuel pump took a poo poo (... always fun if the tank is full). Or some dipshit put diesel in it.

They really are simple motors, and they'll run with nearly every sensor unplugged, so long as you have MAP and crank position it'll fire up.

Excellent, I'll give it a shot this week.
Hey, I just discovered that it comes with a metal baseball bat behind the seat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Achtane posted:

Hey, I just discovered that it comes with a metal baseball bat behind the seat.

That's for checking the tires on my pre-trip inspection officer.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Pushed into my 20x20 carport since hey late march means snow right? Picked up a 350 Pontiac that has been rebuilt for it so don't need to mess with the engine mounts to try and get a SBC or LS to mount. Going take the engine and trans out next weekend so I can get better access to replace the brake master cylinder and booster and clean the engine bay.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I’ve been having some snapping/clunking sounds from the front end of my BRZ when the steering reaches the end of its travel (like while parallel parking). Since I’m stuck working from home I decided it would be a good time to swap in some newer sway bar end links I had, and replace the sway bar bushings as a first step.

Everything came apart easily until I got to the bolts that connect the links to the sway bar. They have a design where you need to put a hex key in the center of the bolt to hold it still and use a wrench or pass-through socket to turn the nut.

About half way through removing each side the inner hex area stripped out. On one I was able to use some pliers to keep the bolt from spinning and was able to get the nut off, but the other is stuck, I can’t even tighten it again. Soaked it in PB Blaster and still nothing. Since I’m replacing it anyway I decided the cut the bolt off, however I only had one metal cutting blade for my jigsaw and that only made it about a quarter of the way through it. Now I gotta risk a trip to Lowe’s and pick up a hacksaw or something to finish it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just get skinny vise grips and clamp down on the back side of it, always works for me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ported my sub box to match the new driver:

(yeah, used an old piece of black PVC)

and finally installed the remote gain ("bass knob")

Sub sounded decent sealed - the manual claimed that the box was on the large end of the allowed size, but perfect for ported - now sounds decent-er. At least according to the butt ear dyno.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

DrChu posted:

I’ve been having some snapping/clunking sounds from the front end of my BRZ when the steering reaches the end of its travel (like while parallel parking). Since I’m stuck working from home I decided it would be a good time to swap in some newer sway bar end links I had, and replace the sway bar bushings as a first step.

Everything came apart easily until I got to the bolts that connect the links to the sway bar. They have a design where you need to put a hex key in the center of the bolt to hold it still and use a wrench or pass-through socket to turn the nut.

About half way through removing each side the inner hex area stripped out. On one I was able to use some pliers to keep the bolt from spinning and was able to get the nut off, but the other is stuck, I can’t even tighten it again. Soaked it in PB Blaster and still nothing. Since I’m replacing it anyway I decided the cut the bolt off, however I only had one metal cutting blade for my jigsaw and that only made it about a quarter of the way through it. Now I gotta risk a trip to Lowe’s and pick up a hacksaw or something to finish it.

Skinny lock jaw pliers or a slim jaw adjustable wrench are the weapons of choice.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

I've never seen a shifter in that position.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Volguus posted:

Unusual to look at but great to drive. Very little movement of hand from wheel to shifter.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
So I fought for a couple hours to get the seat out of the Hardbody 'cause the passenger door currently doesn't open, and managed to check the codes. Got a code 41: intake air temperature sensor. So I pulled the air filter housing and sure enough, one of the wires was broken. Ordered and replaced.

But, still not starting up. I sprayed some carb cleaner into it and it did briefly get going. Checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, both seem to be working. I don't hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key, though, so next time I might take the bed off and see about replacing the pump. Unless I'm going in the wrong direction about this?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

opengl128 posted:

Just get skinny vise grips and clamp down on the back side of it, always works for me.

Arishtat posted:

Skinny lock jaw pliers or a slim jaw adjustable wrench are the weapons of choice.

The hacksaw ended up being the cheaper option so I went for that, took only about 3 minutes to cut through the bolt. I was worried the vise grips or locking pliers would still slip on the back part, since that’s the area I tried with the pliers I had (using a clamp to keep them tight).

Bushings are supposed to arrive tomorrow but it’s supposed to rain all day so I doubt I’ll be able to get this back together until Thursday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Volguus posted:

It's just really happy to see you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

One advantage living in the rust belt and replacing sway bar links. It narrows your choice of tools down to one even before looking at them: a sawzall.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

One advantage living in the rust belt and replacing sway bar links. It narrows your choice of tools down to one even before looking at them: a sawzall.

I went to replace the links and bushings once and every single bolt broke, so that sway bar just got removed entirely.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Achtane posted:

So I fought for a couple hours to get the seat out of the Hardbody 'cause the passenger door currently doesn't open, and managed to check the codes. Got a code 41: intake air temperature sensor. So I pulled the air filter housing and sure enough, one of the wires was broken. Ordered and replaced.

But, still not starting up. I sprayed some carb cleaner into it and it did briefly get going. Checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, both seem to be working. I don't hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key, though, so next time I might take the bed off and see about replacing the pump. Unless I'm going in the wrong direction about this?

Go here, select Hardbody. They don't have a 93, but 94 should be close enough. You might try jumping the fuel pump relay (it may be clicking, but might not actually be completing the circuit) or swapping it with another relay. Otherwise, it's time to see if power is getting to the fuel pump. Also make sure power is on both sides of the fuse - it can LOOK okay, but may be cracked (test light is good for this, or a multimeter.. check both sides of the top of the fuse's metal parts immediately at key on/engine off). If you've tried swapping the fuse, look for corrosion in the socket.

But yeah... you're probably pulling the bed to go further. Unless the tank is almost empty. But it's probably easier to just pull the bed unless some dick did a spray-in bedliner over the bolts.

Remember it's only going to run the fuel pump for 3-5 seconds when you first turn the key on; it won't run it full time until you're trying to crank it or it detects an RPM signal (sounds like you know this already). The OEM pump is quiet enough that you'll have to be under the truck to hear it.

You might have a friend try smacking the bottom of the fuel tank dead center with a mallet immediately after you turn on the key, and/or while trying to crank. If the pump is just seized or on a dead spot, that might free it up enough to get it to start. If that does get it running, grab a new fuel pump anyway, but you just ruled out everything else if that worked.

Volguus posted:

Toyota did similar on the Matrix, though it's a little further from the wheel and less upright. You get used to it quick.

There's a few 6 speed converted Honda Odesseys that have a similar position. :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Needed something to do so i painted the wheel covers on my xB. One can of graphite wheel paint and one can of matte clearcoat did the trick, looks a lot better than stock silver for $14.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell???

I thought you had the cool Scion xB???

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What the hell???

They're offering 0% at 84 months on Mustangs, do the needful.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What the hell???

Lol the first gen is too slow. These have the 2.4 with much better torque. I think it's cool :colbert:

Plus this generation of xB saved my life, they are really safe cars. This one is a 2015, last year they made them.

opengl128 posted:

Nah, probably gonna get a Miata or Wrangler for my fun vehicle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

I know.

I know.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

opengl128 posted:

What

What

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

do the needful.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey goons, got a question regarding a parts vendor. I was looking to start doing some work on my old truck, and was googling around for parts, I found cjponyparts has a lot of the parts i'm looking for, mostly dashboard and door panel stuff to start easy with. I found they had pretty decent prices compared to carid and some others, but have a pretty low user rating via google, something like 1.5 star average. would you all recommend that retailer, or is there a better one for '73 ford f250 parts you are aware of?

the truck, as of 22 years ago when i bought it!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I use CJP as my primary source for my Focus stuff, have never had a problem ordering from them. Got my intake, exhaust hangers, couple other things, zero problems. 5/5 would recommend for ford stuff

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Can't speak for cjp but my general impression of carid is "those jerks who SEO their way into my Google searches but do me no good" which is only about one step below Andy's Auto Sport, not really a good place to be.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ratchild13 posted:

Hey goons, got a question regarding a parts vendor. I was looking to start doing some work on my old truck, and was googling around for parts, I found cjponyparts has a lot of the parts i'm looking for, mostly dashboard and door panel stuff to start easy with. I found they had pretty decent prices compared to carid and some others, but have a pretty low user rating via google, something like 1.5 star average. would you all recommend that retailer, or is there a better one for '73 ford f250 parts you are aware of?

the truck, as of 22 years ago when i bought it!

I've used them before, they're fine. Probably some bad reviews from boomer Mustang guys.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Excellent, thanks for the input!

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Mounted my baby turbo and started welding up my hotside

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

STR posted:

Fuel pump stuffs

Hey man, I really appreciate all the help so far. I double checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, and with the help of my dear wife, pulled the bed off. Power seems to be getting to the fuel pump, but I think it's toast. Fingers crossed that the new one will be working this weekend...
While I was checking it out, I saw this:
That can't be good. I don't know exactly but that's the pressure relief valve, maybe? Either way, I ordered some new line.
But, hopefully I'll be able to update on Saturday.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tehk posted:

Geez us

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ratchild13 posted:

would you all recommend that retailer, or is there a better one for '73 ford f250 parts you are aware of?

I've no experience with cjp. LMCtruck will have a ton of stuff for that vintage Ford. They can be on the pricier side though they have hard to find items.

tehk posted:

In Snail We Trust.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Tehk can you tell me more about that y-merge on the passenger side of the engine bay, it looks like its one piece and not two bends cut/welded together?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

tehk posted:

Your posts always make me feel inadequate!

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

TWSS posted:

Tehk can you tell me more about that y-merge on the passenger side of the engine bay, it looks like its one piece and not two bends cut/welded together?

It’s cast stainless. CF8m(cast 316) or CG12(cast 309) I suspect since it only is slightly magnetic. Came with gusseting on the inside of the Y as well which is nice. Welded nicely with 309l filler and it will last a long time with amazing flow. 3” in dual 3” out.

Few companies sell it, I think I got it from CXracing. Also if you want a sanitary y that goes twin 90 degree outs there are tons of them if you don’t want to make one.

Speaking of cutting tubes I picked up one of these and it’s a game changer for cutting sanitary elbows

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Got a tune in the mail for my new Ecoboost F-150 and flashed it in with HPTuners. This is just a safe tune-up to do some data logging on, but holy hell. It is ridiculous. I logged a peak of 27 psi at 2300 rpm. Just silly amounts of torque.

This thing is going to cost me money, I am already addicted.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

wallaka posted:

Got a tune in the mail for my new Ecoboost F-150 and flashed it in with HPTuners. This is just a safe tune-up to do some data logging on, but holy hell. It is ridiculous. I logged a peak of 27 psi at 2300 rpm. Just silly amounts of torque.

This thing is going to cost me money, I am already addicted.

2.7 or 3.5? I’ve got a 93 octane tune for winter and an e30 tune for summer for the 2.3 Ecoboost in my RS and it’s a game changer. The 93 tune is great but the e30 tune turns it into a monster.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My 3.5l started doing weird stuff when the timing chain started to stretch, like hitting 20lbs of boost.
It was hella fun for a short period, but then I got it fixed and things went back to normal.

Makes me want headers and a tune for my 2019 Ecoboost F150 but I've got a 7 year warranty I don't want to gently caress up, so oh well...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Huge_Midget posted:

2.7 or 3.5? I've got a 93 octane tune for winter and an e30 tune for summer for the 2.3 Ecoboost in my RS and it's a game changer. The 93 tune is great but the e30 tune turns it into a monster.

2014 3.5. I went with Brew City Boost and a 93 octane adaptive tune. We don't have really any options for ethanol in Alabama. I don''t have a warranty and want to see what I can do with bolt-ons, downpipe, intercooler, exhaust, etc. I've already specced out an exhaust upgrade path.I had a 2004 BMW M3 and can't stand the rasp. I want a middle exit exhaust like the old Lightnings but with no drone. My theories are OK, but are unproven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've no experience with cjp. LMCtruck will have a ton of stuff for that vintage Ford. They can be on the pricier side though they have hard to find items.

Agreed with this. No experience with cjp, but I've used LMC and Macs in a pinch.

If you can find actual Ford part numbers (I think Macs uses them in their catalog?) there's an outfit called Green Sales that has NOS ford parts going back at least to the 50s. Not any kind of reliable selection, but it's worth checking with them to see if they have what you need. Many of the reproductions from catalogs are of visibly inferior quality compared to NOS.