Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shadowlyger posted:

Whatever the resolution is, much like Forces itself it'll kind of have to involve something Silver did, otherwise the future he returned to comes to pass.

Hence why I'm hedging on Time Travel Nonsense being used to resolve this arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He tried to do that in their last meeting if I recall correctly.

Yeah, Sonic charged at Eggman fully intending to infect him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, Sonic charged at Eggman fully intending to infect him.

Ah, my mistake then.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ah, my mistake then.

It's cool, a variation of your idea actually came up in this issue anyway! It's an interesting discussion, but it did get sidelined for the action.

Perpetual Motion posted:

Issue #24 hosed me up super bad. It would have felt unearned if the miniseries hadn’t been a thing, but as it stands Tangle going out like the biggest drat hero ever and Whisper completely losing it as a result was absurdly effective. That was some One Piece tier ugly crying right there. The now nearly dead inside Cream being the one to console her at the end just made things even more sad.

Even though nobody is actually dead, there’s going to be all sorts of trauma to sort through in the end. Those are the stakes we’re dealing with here. Cream is hosed up now, and it’d be one hell of a cop out to walk that back. Thank you for the Christmas present, Ian. Depression is my favorite.

Yeah, there's been some padding in this storyline but this issue was really effective. Tangle, Whisper and Starline have been pretty great so far, so I'm interested to see where they go from here! If this series can make me care about any of the Deadly Six, I'd call them the greatest Sonic comics of all time. Also, the cover to issue 24 is fantastic.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 28, 2019

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Ian has a real good track record of making people care about sonic characters nobody gave a poo poo about before. I remember during his Archie run he transformed the generic "evil universe sonic" into the interesting and fun antagonist, Scourge.

I'm just waiting for him to tackle a character nobody expects, like omochao.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BrokenGameboy posted:

I'm just waiting for him to tackle a character nobody expects, like omochao.

"The Intelligible Omochao: Is he Chao, Robot OR BOTH?!"

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
So, #25 is out today.

Starline gets dunked on hard. Twice in quick succession, even. He is 100% correct that the plan Eggman and the Restoration have come up with is batshit bad, though. There is no way that even if they succeed in incapacitating the Zeti (in a near suicidal "split up and hit them all at once" maneuver, at that) that attempting to just rewrite reality to fix things won't completely gently caress something up incredibly bad. Best character moment once again goes to Whisper, for nearly blowing Eggman's head off from a distance to avoid the moralizing of her allies, only stopped by Cream pleading not to the morality of the murder, but to the pragmatism of it.

I don't know where Ian gets off teasing loving Zombot Big the Cat among the Named Character Boss Zombie Squad. If there wasn't likely going to be a story in the annual about the events leading up to that, I might have actually been a bit mad. :colbert: With that in mind, though, it was actually a cool reveal and hopefully will lead to a cool fight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Perpetual Motion posted:

So, #25 is out today.

There is no way that even if they succeed in incapacitating the Zeti (in a near suicidal "split up and hit them all at once" maneuver, at that) that attempting to just rewrite reality to fix things won't completely gently caress something up incredibly bad.

But when has rewriting reality ever failed Sonic in the past? :v:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

But when has rewriting reality ever failed Sonic in the past? :v:

Hey, that would have gone fine if Eggman could have accepted his loss like Wily did!

Just read the new issue, it's a pretty good build-up! Does anyone know who the Zombot next to Big the Cat is supposed to be? I think I recognize all the others, but if anyone wants to post a full list I'd appreciate that anyway. Starline getting dumped somewhere is a pretty great set-up for him going independent, and the repetition of the heroes being totally done with him and Eggman works surprisingly well given the destruction we've seen the metal virus cause.

I still couldn't care less about the Deadly Six, but maybe one of the upcoming fights will have a cool moment or two for heroes and villains.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 17, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, that would have gone fine if Eggman could have accepted his loss like Wiley did!

Just read the new issue, it's a pretty good build-up! Does anyone know who the Zombot next to Big the Cat is supposed to be? I think I recognize all the others, but if anyone wants to post a full list I'd appreciate that anyway.

From left to right: Vector, Charmy, Jewel (Tangle's friend from her mini/the one she had trapped in the box last issue), Big, Tangle, Vanilla (Cream's mom, flanked by two random Chao (I don't think Cheese or Chocola got infected but I can't remember and they weren't with Cream this issue so maybe it's them?)), rando townie, Shadow, and two other randos.

I don't think the other shadows are anyone but hey who knows

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Yeah it's Cheese and Chocola. One of the random townies, the one with the horns, is the mayor of the town that took Eggman in

You couldn't pay me money to get me to care about the Deadly Six, but everything else that happened around them in this issue was cool.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I have faith that the writing team can handle the Deadly Six better than Lost Worlds did, if nothing else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Simsmagic posted:

I have faith that the writing team can handle the Deadly Six better than Lost Worlds did, if nothing else.

I mean, talk about a low bar to jump

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

From left to right: Vector, Charmy, Jewel (Tangle's friend from her mini/the one she had trapped in the box last issue), Big, Tangle, Vanilla (Cream's mom, flanked by two random Chao (I don't think Cheese or Chocola got infected but I can't remember and they weren't with Cream this issue so maybe it's them?)), rando townie, Shadow, and two other randos.

I don't think the other shadows are anyone but hey who knows

Thanks! So I did have everyone else down, the angle on Vector is what threw me off.

nerdbot posted:

Yeah it's Cheese and Chocola. One of the random townies, the one with the horns, is the mayor of the town that took Eggman in

You couldn't pay me money to get me to care about the Deadly Six, but everything else that happened around them in this issue was cool.

Eh, I'm pretty sure I'd care if I were paid to. As it stands, they're still just a random bunch of boss monsters.

Simsmagic posted:

Yeah, this is probably damning with faint praise, but I guess it's not wrong.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Metal Sonic is a good boy.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Blitzed through the series over the past week and dang was it enjoyable. I can see why the Archie series lasted so long if this is any indication. I love all of the callbacks to the old games like Neo Metal Sonic, and the new characters are just as entertaining as all of the old ones. I'd even go so far to say that Whisper is my favorite Sonic character next to Blaze and Cream, which of course makes what happens to them in the latest arc almost bring me to tears. I think my only complaint is that the current arc feels like it's been going on for a little too long and things keep getting worse and worse to the point where it feels like only a deus ex machina can fix it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, another Blaze fan! :hfive:

Honestly the Archie series was much more uneven than these, but that's to be expected given that they started back when the Sonic franchise had fewer characters and elements to build on. It definitely picked up when Ian Flynn was made head writer, and he's done a pretty good job of maintaining the quality of the new series as well. I agree with you both on the new characters and the current plotline, though I'd say Tangle is my new favorite alongside Blaze and Rouge. I'm looking forward to this week's new issue!

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, another Blaze fan! :hfive:

Honestly the Archie series was much more uneven than these, but that's to be expected given that they started back when the Sonic franchise had fewer characters and elements to build on. It definitely picked up when Ian Flynn was made head writer, and he's done a pretty good job of maintaining the quality of the new series as well. I agree with you both on the new characters and the current plotline, though I'd say Tangle is my new favorite alongside Blaze and Rouge. I'm looking forward to this week's new issue!

Hell yea. Loved Blaze since Sonic Rush came out. I'm a cat lover so she wins by default for me. :toot:

I admittedly didn't think highly of Tangle at first. In fact I kind of balked at the idea of the comic introducing original characters that wouldn't show up in the games. That sort of went away after Whisper was introduced, but it was Tangle's last stand against the zombots that made my opinion of her did an immediate 180. Easily both the most badass and heartbreaking thing I've ever seen in a comic. I just started reading the Tangle and Whisper side series and I'm legit excited to see what they do with both of these characters in it and the main story.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, I can see that! I'd already liked Tangle, but the big hero spot in issue #24 certainly gave her a big boost for me. Then again I'm already used to original characters not in the games from the Archie series and the cartoons. The Tangle and Whisper series started a little weak but it picks up quickly, and as much as I'd love to see more of them I wouldn't mind if they made it into a Sonic Universe style exploration of other characters and their adventures outside of the biggest crises with Sonic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm oddly excited for the idea of other mercenary groups other than the two we know of (both of which got wiped out but still)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Have there been any announcements for Sonic/IDW's output in general? The new issue is supposed to be out tomorrow, I don't know if any of the comic companies have said how the pandemic will affect upcoming books.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Issue 27 is out today as per. 28 will come out as planed and the rest is on hold.

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1242251825715335169?s=20

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 25, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hopefully stuff can still come digitally.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hopefully stuff can still come digitally.

It may have to with comic stores being SOL and the Big Two's (lack of) response to the situation.

Especially Marvel. JFC.
"We are not giving you word one about how were going to help you with a month (minimum) shaped hole in your budget. Instead here is our next team. They comprise of poorly thought out, ministerial show depictions of minorities. Thanks to our patented ‘go gently caress yourself’ return policy, they will sit on your shelf for years to come if you survive this lockdown.
Have fun eating cake!"

It's crap like that which keeps my western pull list to Sonic and MMPR.
:goonsay:

Edit: truncated for less ‘Old man shouts at cloud’.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 26, 2020

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It may have to with comic stores being SOL and the Big Two's (lack of) response to the situation.

Especially Marvel. JFC.
"We are not giving you word one about how were going to help you with a month (minimum) shaped hole in your budget.
Here instead is our next team, comprising of poorly thought out, ministerial show depictions of minorities which will, under Daimond's gun to your head policies and our own knife twisting, sit on your shelves like a dog turd on a baking sidewalk.
Oh and have some more America Chavev solo books (Voted 'most like The Room' by the thinly vieled 4chan that "somehow" got through editorial (which totally existed, honest) and onto the letters page) too just as an extra slap to the face.
Have fun eating cake!"

It's crap like that which keeps my western pull list to Sonic and MMPR.
:goonsay:

This reads like I'm having a stroke

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

This reads like I'm having a stroke

Sorry. That whole thing just ticked me off from all angles and I went off on one.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You're good, me calling someone incoherent is a pot calling the kettle black situation.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
These are the old Sega Mandates that seem relevant to the new IDW comic. Do you think they all still apply?

Based on the comic so far.
Slashed out ones are ones that don't seem to apply anymore
Underlined ones are debatable.

quote:

1. Sega-specific original characters were not permitted familial relationships unless already established (like Cream the Rabbit and Vanilla the Rabbit) with some limited exceptions (eg. Charles Hedgehog). ACP-exclusive characters (Sally, Rotor, Bunnie, Antoine) were permitted however.

2. Content from certain games were not permissible:
    • Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes.
    • Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog.
    • All characters and content (with the exception of original Sega characters) from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

3. Archie Comics Publishing were forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X unless granted specific permission from Sega Incorporated.

4. ACP was forbidden from using the character Doctor Eggman Nega unless specifically granted permission from Sega Incorporated.

5. Sonic's home planet was no longer permitted to be referred to as “Mobius”, be it Light, Dark, Prime or otherwise.

6. Only one Metal Sonic was permitted for appearance but no multiples.

7. Sonic was not allowed to “lose”. He could be 'put down' and experience hardship but was not allowed to completely 'fail'.

8. Main and/or significant characters were forbidden in forming intimate or love-relationships. ACP-exclusive characters were permitted however (Bunnie and Antoine) but not with Sega's characters (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn).

9. Original Sega characters were to conform and stay conformed to their modern designs as of Sonic the Hedgehog #71. None were allowed to change or modify their existing wardrobe or wear any different wardrobe at all, regardless of the story context.

10. Sega-exclusive characters could not be "killed-off". Whilst Archie-exclusive characters were not mentioned in this mandate, it remains unclear whether this rule may applied to them also.

11. Sonic and Sega-exclusive characters were not allowed to show excessive emotion.

An example of established-requirement of censorship of emotion from Sonic the Hedgehog #166 (left: original, right: current)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Mask posted:

These are the old Sega Mandates that seem relevant to the new IDW comic. Do you think they all still apply?

Based on the comic so far.
Slashed out ones are ones that don't seem to apply anymore
Underlined ones are debatable.

If I remember correctly these mandates are something we've never had full confirmation that they actually exist as a hard set of rules, well besides the ones involving probable rights issues like characters from any of the shows besides the first two that Archie is derived from, like we've had Ian talk about when SEGA told him he couldn't do something or had to make a change and those line up with most of those mandates

Though if they do in fact exist than it's prime evidence that SEGA are a bunch of overly controlling morons(not to mention it's ridiculously inconsistent that they're so controlling with the comics when they are so loose with literally every other Sonic adaptation that exists), like no wonder the IDW comics have been so stagnant, at least the Archie universe still had a bunch of characters not tied down by those restrictions that Ian could actually make a story with(when you reread them you quickly come to realize that while Sonic and the other SEGA characters would seemingly get the most focus, all of the actually interesting stuff involved the non games characters, with a slight exception regarding Eggman), while with IDW he's still mostly stuck with the game characters who he can't really do anything with, like it probably won't be able to be actually good long term for at least another two to four years until the IDW universe has built up a large enough roster of OC's who are as restricted in nature

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

If I remember correctly these mandates are something we've never had full confirmation that they actually exist as a hard set of rules, well besides the ones involving probable rights issues like characters from any of the shows besides the first two that Archie is derived from, like we've had Ian talk about when SEGA told him he couldn't do something or had to make a change and those line up with most of those mandates

Though if they do in fact exist than it's prime evidence that SEGA are a bunch of overly controlling morons(not to mention it's ridiculously inconsistent that they're so controlling with the comics when they are so loose with literally every other Sonic adaptation that exists), like no wonder the IDW comics have been so stagnant, at least the Archie universe still had a bunch of characters not tied down by those restrictions that Ian could actually make a story with(when you reread them you quickly come to realize that while Sonic and the other SEGA characters would seemingly get the most focus, all of the actually interesting stuff involved the non games characters, with a slight exception regarding Eggman), while with IDW he's still mostly stuck with the game characters who he can't really do anything with, like it probably won't be able to be actually good long term for at least another two to four years until the IDW universe has built up a large enough roster of OC's who are as restricted in nature

I mean to give them the benefit of the doubt the last time they stopped paying attention to the Sonic comic you got Penders.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to give them the benefit of the doubt the last time they stopped paying attention to the Sonic comic you got Penders.

Well that's more a matter of him being poo poo than anything actually requiring that ridiculous amount of restrictions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well that's more a matter of him being poo poo than anything actually requiring that ridiculous amount of restrictions

Oh absolutely, I'm just saying that after all that trouble I can't be surprised they want to strangle any potential second Penders in the crib.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
IIRC, most of what Ian Flynn has talked about in recent years is limitations on what characters he's allowed to use. Mighty, Ray, and the extended Sonic the Fighters cast are all "Classic Universe" exclusive because of their appearance in Sonic Mania, for example. There are also some smaller things like Metal Sonic having to be mute in his base form, and a lot of guesses and inferences with regards to Shadow's portrayal and personality, given some off the record remarks Ian has made and the stark contrast between Archie Shadow and modern game/IDW Shadow.

Other than that, we don't really know, and there haven't really been any explicit dodges around these ideas in the stories, or at least not any that get in the way of what's being portrayed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Perpetual Motion posted:

IIRC, most of what Ian Flynn has talked about in recent years is limitations on what characters he's allowed to use. Mighty, Ray, and the extended Sonic the Fighters cast are all "Classic Universe" exclusive because of their appearance in Sonic Mania, for example. There are also some smaller things like Metal Sonic having to be mute in his base form, and a lot of guesses and inferences with regards to Shadow's portrayal and personality, given some off the record remarks Ian has made and the stark contrast between Archie Shadow and modern game/IDW Shadow.

Other than that, we don't really know, and there haven't really been any explicit dodges around these ideas in the stories, or at least not any that get in the way of what's being portrayed.

Again see my point about SEGA being morons

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I feel like what the book needs to do once all this is said and done is to take a break from doing long term stories and go in a more episodic direction for a while, with stories that are like 1-4 issues long, occasionally planting the seeds for the next big long term story

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like what the book needs to do once all this is said and done is to take a break from doing long term stories and go in a more episodic direction for a while, with stories that are like 1-4 issues long, occasionally planting the seeds for the next big long term story

I'm hoping once this arc is over they do a Silver series. I really love idw Silver and it be cool to see his future, life, and relationships get fleshed out since no one has ever bothered to do a version of his future that isnt ruined.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

drrockso20 posted:

Again see my point about SEGA being morons

the mandates came about as a direct response for what happened in the comics before, due to Penders, Bollers, and Archie as a whole. To ask them to remove them, would be to go "Yeah yeah just trust things will be fine again, just because the last time you let them have free reign, you wound up with an utter shitshow of a comic that was damaging the brand. And then you got involved in several lawsuits. You definitely don't need to care."

Of all the things Sega is being, stupid isn't one of them with having a strict list of "poo poo you aren't allowed to do." After the last time. Yes, it may have been different people that trashed the house, but if it were you, you'd keep the rules on them anyway, because you've seen how bad it can get.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I'm hoping once this arc is over they do a Silver series. I really love idw Silver and it be cool to see his future, life, and relationships get fleshed out since no one has ever bothered to do a version of his future that isnt ruined.

Last we saw him in Archie, his future was... well, dystopic, but not totally ruined.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Onmi posted:

the mandates came about as a direct response for what happened in the comics before, due to Penders, Bollers, and Archie as a whole. To ask them to remove them, would be to go "Yeah yeah just trust things will be fine again, just because the last time you let them have free reign, you wound up with an utter shitshow of a comic that was damaging the brand. And then you got involved in several lawsuits. You definitely don't need to care."

Of all the things Sega is being, stupid isn't one of them with having a strict list of "poo poo you aren't allowed to do." After the last time. Yes, it may have been different people that trashed the house, but if it were you, you'd keep the rules on them anyway, because you've seen how bad it can get.

Honestly I'd say the mandates are more damaging to Sonic as a brand than anything Penders did, cause sure Penders stuff was terrible but at least it was an interesting kind of terrible, meanwhile IDW Sonic has been almost entirely bland mush that is not really worth reading in any respect at all

Or to put it another way the worst thing Sonic as a franchise can ever be is boring or bland and that's basically all that IDW Sonic has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Right now the biggest thing hurting the brand/franchise right now is Sega's games, am I right? :downsrim: heyooooooo I'll be here all week folks