Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just wanna monitor my desktop from the couch if I'm running something and don't want to get up. Looks like Chrome Remote Desktop (that can run from Firefox now?) has enough functionality for me).

I'm actually running an Emby server, but am having issues accessing it away from the network. I need to look into that (though I rarely care to stream when not home).

I mostly want to be able to download a random file that I don't have synced to OneDrive. Like, I may want to download an album from my music folder. Again, nothing mission critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uthor posted:

I mostly want to be able to download a random file that I don't have synced to OneDrive. Like, I may want to download an album from my music folder. Again, nothing mission critical.

For remote file access it's more a question of security than how mission critical or robust the solution is. Forwarding traffic through your router for windows SMB sharing is a terrible idea because the next WannaCry security flaw instantly owns your computer.

A VPN isn't all that difficult to set up. But chrome remote desktop has file transfer abilities, so if you're already setting that up on your PC you could use that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Alright, I'll stick with the current setup for now and see how it works. Thanks.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm a teacher, and at our school all information is stored on the network drives. The M drive is the student shared drive. It contains the resources that students might need organised by department. For example, there is M:\Computing\Course Name\ and relevant subfolders to contain everything students need to access related to the course.

We are an MS school and I use Teams. I am trying to come up with the best way to have students be able to access M:\Computing\Course Name from Teams. Current idea, is there a way to have M:\Computing\Course Name sync/mirror automatically with the relevant Teams folder on Sharepoint? As a one-off, I could just copy the contents to Sharepoint, and that'd work. But over time as I update files in M: I would have to manually update them in the Sharepoint which would be bad.

What are some good solutions to this problem?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

I'm a teacher, and at our school all information is stored on the network drives. The M drive is the student shared drive. It contains the resources that students might need organised by department. For example, there is M:\Computing\Course Name\ and relevant subfolders to contain everything students need to access related to the course.

We are an MS school and I use Teams. I am trying to come up with the best way to have students be able to access M:\Computing\Course Name from Teams. Current idea, is there a way to have M:\Computing\Course Name sync/mirror automatically with the relevant Teams folder on Sharepoint? As a one-off, I could just copy the contents to Sharepoint, and that'd work. But over time as I update files in M: I would have to manually update them in the Sharepoint which would be bad.

What are some good solutions to this problem?

Do students each have their own login? My first idea is simply making sure people have the proper permissions to those folders (also make sure they don't have read/write unless they need) and then simply mapping that location through My Computer. It can even be done with a one line batch file (net use M: "\\SERVER\Computer\Course Name" /persistent:yes).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
This is probably a long shot, but I'll throw out the question anyway. At work we use an ancient AS/400 system for ERP stuff. Finance needs to acces a network share on the AS/400 server to handle payments.
That worked fine, until I upgraded the finance people's computers from Win7 to Win10. The AS/400 server uses SMB1 and apparently cannot be upgraded in any way whatsoever.

Anyone have an idea how I could allow finance to access that network share, without enabling SMB1 on their Win10 installations?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Raygereio posted:

At work we use an ancient AS/400 system for ERP stuff. Finance needs to acces a network share on the AS/400 server to handle payments.
That worked fine, until I upgraded the finance people's computers from Win7 to Win10. The AS/400 server uses SMB1 and apparently cannot be upgraded in any way whatsoever.

Anyone have an idea how I could allow finance to access that network share, without enabling SMB1 on their Win10 installations?

Okay whoever told you that the AS/400 can't be upgraded from SMB1 is full of loving poo poo. We upgraded ours to SMB2 years ago. We had to apply patches and all that jazz but we got it done.

And no, you have to install SMB1 in Windows 10 to access your system.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Okay whoever told you that the AS/400 can't be upgraded from SMB1 is full of loving poo poo. We upgraded ours to SMB2 years ago. We had to apply patches and all that jazz but we got it done.
Oh, ffs. Do you have some information, or can you throw me some searchterms to google?

My job employs an expensive consultant to maintain the AS/400 server and I really want to be able to tell that guy to :fuckoff:.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Raygereio posted:

Oh, ffs. Do you have some information, or can you throw me some searchterms to google?

My job employs an expensive consultant to maintain the AS/400 server and I really want to be able tell that guy to :fuckoff:.

Do you know what OS version you're running? I'm not the AS400 guy here (and tbh it hasn't been an AS400 in years. It's like an iSeries or Power Systems now).

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/smb2-support-ibm-i-72

We installed the PTF's for that. If your consultant isn't patching your poo poo, he is not doing his job.

Also: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/what-versions-smb-are-supported-ibm-i-netserver

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 24, 2020

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I mean, if it's ACTUALLY AS/400, they're likely out of luck. Anything older than iSeries branding is going to be long off support from IBM.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

I mean, if it's ACTUALLY AS/400, they're likely out of luck. Anything older than iSeries branding is going to be long off support from IBM.
I honestly don't really know what the gently caress it is. People here just call it "as400". My only interaction with the system in the 3 years I work here has been entering the occasional purchasing order.

I would honestly not be surprised if it's some weird system that was setup in the 80s. If I enter a purchase order in the system, there's an option for me to select departments & sites that stopped existing somewhere in the early 90s.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you are forced to enable SMB1 as a temporary measure while your expensive consultant gets their poo poo together, the SMB1 optional feature in Win10 is split into client and server. Enabling the client only is I think not completely terrible for security? Like, SMB1 is still terrible but the attacks where people get their offices owned by ramsonware are all vulnerabilities in the SMB server.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Raygereio posted:

I honestly don't really know what the gently caress it is. People here just call it "as400". My only interaction with the system in the 3 years I work here has been entering the occasional purchasing order.

I would honestly not be surprised if it's some weird system that was setup in the 80s. If I enter a purchase order in the system, there's an option for me to select departments & sites that stopped existing somewhere in the early 90s.

We've been calling ours AS400 for 30 years. It hasn't been a true AS400 in 20. So who knows.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Can confirm, I've never heard 'iSeries' used by anyone at all, it's always "our AS/400" or just "our AS". Usually in the tone of voice reserved for a cranky but lovable family dog.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Can confirm, I've never heard 'iSeries' used by anyone at all, it's always "our AS/400" or just "our AS". Usually in the tone of voice reserved for a cranky but lovable family dog.

We've been trying to do a culture change and not call it AS400 because then everyone thinks it's old and bad. It's brand loving new hardware that is up to date. It never has downtime and we own all the code.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Its been years since I've dealt with AS400, but I seem to remember that our way around this was to have the AS400 FTP the files to somewhere else to which the end users could then access. Could this not be another solution to the problem?

If memory serves correct this was fairly trivial for our consultant to set up as well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Severing posted:

Its been years since I've dealt with AS400, but I seem to remember that our way around this was to have the AS400 FTP the files to somewhere else to which the end users could then access. Could this not be another solution to the problem?

If memory serves correct this was fairly trivial for our consultant to set up as well.

This is what we do. We have jobs that copy files to network locations so we don't have to map drives to the IFS. Our programmers prefer direct access though so they made sure SMB2 was installed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

We've been calling ours AS400 for 30 years. It hasn't been a true AS400 in 20. So who knows.

Before we switched from proprietary software running on a main-frame to SAP running on IDK feels like a Mattel Aquarius, we used to call the system rear end (as in the animal, not the American body part).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

It probably doesn't help that 'iSeries' and 'Power Systems' are both godawful corporate names that can easily throw you off for a second over the phone.

"Hey, can you restart the power systems, please?" "Uh, sure *flips circuit breaker*"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a good single-machine cloud backup service? I've had nothing but frustration from Carbonite since I switched to them from Crashplan, and it's time to look since my sub is ending in a month.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Why did you switch from Crashplan? I've never had an issue with them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been using idrive.
https://www.idrive.com/

It's good enough to just store a bunch of files in case something happens.

I wish it could automatically remove backups of files I have deleted after some time (I rip movies to my computer, then convert the raw files to something more manageable. Those raw files stick around in the backup and I need to periodically manually remove them to keep from going over my cap).

I also didn't like that after I redid my system, there didn't seem to be a way of migrating my backup to the new install and ended up uploading my entire computer a second time, taking weeks and threatening to blow through my ISP data caps (Comcast :argh:).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I switched from Crashplan to CloudBerry's Windows backup software + Google storage. After a few rough issues with keeping the cloud encrypted and in-sync with the partial file upload stuff it is all working really well the last year or so.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

Why did you switch from Crashplan? I've never had an issue with them.

Neither did I, but they dropped their home user plans a couple of years ago and I'm not going to pay double what they were asking before that.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Uthor posted:

I've been using idrive.
https://www.idrive.com/

Me too as it includes Linux support for my workstation as well. Additionally, if you are a student they have a pretty unbeatable deal to take advantage of price wise.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How can I completely 100% disable the lockscreen on Windows 10 Pro? I've tried everything I can think of, including registry and group policy edits, but when I switch my TV over to the PC input (it's meant to be an HTPC setup) I still get the drat PIN prompt.

edit: When using Remote Desktop it seems to respect my settings, so maybe the problem is specifically related to the PC's HDMI output somehow?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 26, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Minidust posted:

How can I completely 100% disable the lockscreen on Windows 10 Pro? I've tried everything I can think of, including registry and group policy edits, but when I switch my TV over to the PC input (it's meant to be an HTPC setup) I still get the drat PIN prompt.

edit: When using Remote Desktop it seems to respect my settings, so maybe the problem is specifically related to the PC's HDMI output somehow?
I think the lock screen is technically the screen before the password prompt? So disabling it doesn't log you in automatically. And on remote desktop, you're providing credentials while starting the session, which would account for the difference.

To me, it looks like you're maybe looking for autologon.

In this post the person is looking to go the other way with it, but the setting is there.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey, so I have an odd bluetooth question:
I have a Jabra Speak 410 usb speaker phone hooked up to my desktop. I also have an Asus BT-400 bluetooth receiver plugged into the same. It shows up as a BCM20702A0 device

I'd like to connect my iPhone X to my desktop via bluetooth to use the jabra as a speakerphone. I am convinced that this will work and I've done something similar in the past... I've gone to Asus' website and installed their drivers here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBBT400/helpdesk_download/
for Windows 10 x64, but haven't noticed any other app installed to manage connections or anything.

Bluetooth settings in Win10 seem to really suck, they're way too simple. I can't seem to choose what "profile" my desktop will support or broadcast to devices that want to connect.

Any ideas?

Thank you

edit: vvvvvvvv thx for the response below... but it's not the iPhone I don't think. All I'm trying to do is use the desktop as a bluetooth headset. this is something I do with actual bluetooth headsets all the time. I just need the desktop to present itself as a bluetooth headset... something I'm pretty sure i've done in the past. But maybe you're right.

namlosh fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 26, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

Hey, so I have an odd bluetooth question:
I have a Jabra Speak 410 usb speaker phone hooked up to my desktop. I also have an Asus BT-400 bluetooth receiver plugged into the same. It shows up as a BCM20702A0 device

I'd like to connect my iPhone X to my desktop via bluetooth to use the jabra as a speakerphone. I am convinced that this will work and I've done something similar in the past... I've gone to Asus' website and installed their drivers here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBBT400/helpdesk_download/
for Windows 10 x64, but haven't noticed any other app installed to manage connections or anything.

Bluetooth settings in Win10 seem to really suck, they're way too simple. I can't seem to choose what "profile" my desktop will support or broadcast to devices that want to connect.

Any ideas?

Thank you

The problem is with the iphone not windows, because apple locks out call functions from PCs (among the many other things they lock out). Android phones can do this perfectly with the Your Phone app.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think the lock screen is technically the screen before the password prompt?

Yep, the "lock screen" is the slidey screen before the login prompt, not the actual password prompt.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I couldn't find a MS Word/Office thread so I might as well ask here.

I want to make my footers in Word display this information:

[whatever is written in the Title heading style for this section]
Page [x] of [y]

Is there any way to do that? I know the page numbers is a default template I can pick, but I would like it to also display the section name.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I couldn't find a MS Word/Office thread so I might as well ask here.

I want to make my footers in Word display this information:

[whatever is written in the Title heading style for this section]
Page [x] of [y]

Is there any way to do that? I know the page numbers is a default template I can pick, but I would like it to also display the section name.
You need to use styleref in a field.

Press ctrl+f9 and you will get brackets indicating a field.

Inside the brackets insert something like this (replace with the name of your style if you aren't using Heading 1): {STYLEREF "Heading 1"}

Press alt+f9 and to show the result and you should be done.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

mystes posted:

You need to use styleref in a field.

Press ctrl+f9 and you will get brackets indicating a field.

Inside the brackets insert something like this (replace with the name of your style if you aren't using Heading 1): {STYLEREF "Heading 1"}

Press alt+f9 and to show the result and you should be done.

This did it! Thank you!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I didn't know about the keyboard method. Thanks!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yesterday's PowerToys update added a bunch of new features, including
  • Preview SVG and Markdown from File Explorer's preview pane
  • Resize images from File Explorer context menu
  • Text-search alternative to alt-tab

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a test system at work that runs some python scripts and then occasionally will lock up or crash. Is there a windows tool that will keep a running log of system resource usage every x seconds or minutes so I can see if it's exhausting all the ram or something?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FCKGW posted:

I have a test system at work that runs some python scripts and then occasionally will lock up or crash. Is there a windows tool that will keep a running log of system resource usage every x seconds or minutes so I can see if it's exhausting all the ram or something?

Yep, the Event Viewer should log program crashes from out-of-memory or similar. Look at Windows Logs -> Application.

(unless this is the entire OS & PC crashing, in which case you have a more serious problem)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FCKGW posted:

Performance Monitor? Or maybe Resource Monitor if you don't need all that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

Yep, the Event Viewer should log program crashes from out-of-memory or similar. Look at Windows Logs -> Application.

(unless this is the entire OS & PC crashing, in which case you have a more serious problem)

Yeah, the whole OS locks up. We're doing some serious testing though, plugging and unplugging secondary drives thousands of times and pushing IO the whole time so stuff like this isn't unexpected.

baka kaba posted:

Performance Monitor? Or maybe Resource Monitor if you don't need all that

I need something that will write out to the .txt file or something that I can look at later after reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is there a really good SA thread for asking questions about Excel? I have a new project and the Powers That Be want log that records information from different users, preferably from their own spreadsheets or pages. We're all new to Teams and OneDrive and Sharepoint Online, but thanks to the pandemic we're receiving an emergency application every 30 seconds and someone (me) needs to figure out how to use everything together effectively. I don't want to get into the specifics here if this isn't a good place for Excel help, but if anyone has some sincere advice they can toss my way I would appreciate it. Like, I know Excel can reference other workbooks but I've never done it before, and figuring out how to have a master log correctly pull information from several other sheets and also check for duplicates... I'm looking at a long night.

Any help would be a huge boon, and I'll keep looking elsewhere and experimenting in the meantime.