Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So serious question:

If you get notified that you were exposed to someone with the virus, do you quarantine for two weeks from the notification or start that timer from the last time you had the interaction?

I ask because the guidelines from the gov't seem to be assuming that everyone was collectively exposed, lock down for two weeks and see who ends up sick.

Also, how early can we detect the infection? Are we counting "infected" as a specific viral load or any detection of the virus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hekk posted:

Meanwhile its business as usual on the west coast since everyone is essential in I MEF. I get to pour through emails giving guidance on how to get cops off your rear end when they try to enforce the shelter in place orders for California.

Just stay in the barracks with the rest of your unit. Problem solved.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Just stay in the barracks with the rest of your unit. Problem solved.

Our barracks/dorms share a common bathroom/kitchen. We've already had multiple people test positive on my base. Gonna be great when people start spreading it to their pissmates.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i thought the proper term was piss pals

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Arc Light posted:

Our barracks/dorms share a common bathroom/kitchen. We've already had multiple people test positive on my base. Gonna be great when people start spreading it to their pissmates.

One team one fight oorah

Corona is just a lack of heart

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

In news that surprises no one

https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/1242849535703101444?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chief diplomat for the USA folks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm so happy that this rapture believing dumbfuck is running the State Department.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I just had to do an IRL roll for sanity check when command gave me an "essential personnel" paper to sign. Thankfully i was only hit with temporary Anxiety(general)!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ElMaligno posted:

I just had to do an IRL roll for sanity check when command gave me an "essential personnel" paper to sign. Thankfully i was only hit with temporary Anxiety(general)!

They made you sign a paper stating you were essential? Do they think that works like a liability waiver?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ASAPI posted:

They made you sign a paper stating you were essential? Do they think that works like a liability waiver?

Its to show LE people that yes i am driving to work because im essential

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ElMaligno posted:

Its to show LE people that yes i am driving to work because im essential

Ahhhh.... That makes more sense. Get a large stick to keep your co-workers away with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1242865076660572161?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Meanwhile where I live residential construction is still happening because rich people's beach houses are DEFINITELY essential

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am working residential construction rn, you would not be able to tell anything is wrong in this neighborhood. I can count five different trades working right now from where I'm sitting

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The definition of "essential" needs to be reworked. Here in Austin the only people NOT working are waitstaff, teachers, and furniture sales.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

shut down construction and some people who have a lot of money will lose part of it so would it really be worth it just to save a few lives?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Audi just sent their entire development home in addition to shutting plants down.

Holy loving poo poo.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Audi just sent their entire development home in addition to shutting plants down.

Holy loving poo poo.

WSJ is running articles about how difficult it is to rush-order a Peloton now, and how an elliptical bike might piss off your downstairs neighbors. You'd never know that industry is shutting down except for the single article on the front page about Number Go Up or Number Go Down

I'm required to read it for a class this semester. It's a repository for the most upperclass non-problems you've ever seen

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Quote is not edit

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/beyerstein/status/1242842580347428864?s=19

Who has a good ad blocker and can tell me the "logic" behind this lunacy?

Other than the faster we kill a million people the sooner we can get to work. We already have several states barely hanging on and just going to get worse.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alaan posted:

Other than the faster we kill a million people the sooner we can get to work. We already have several states barely hanging on and just going to get worse.

That is insane.

I can *almost* understand a call for very strict triage rules like in Italy (ie, old people will die, accept it). But this is insane. There is no way to guarantee the controlled rate of infection. This sounds like they were on some drugs and watching/reading bad scifi.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

plus is there an immunity? there was a japanese dude who went through it, tested negative, and tested positive again like 30 hours later

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/484942-japan-confirms-first-case-of-person-reinfected

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Typically corona viruses are not permanent immunity.

That being said we don't know if people getting hit again actually are double dipping or had a false negative test before it cleared the system. The virus is barely three months old and we just don't know a lot of details yet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Alaan posted:

Republicans like that are ghouls and part of a death cult hth

Edit: I don't think the press secretary has ever met senior officers / SNCOs

https://twitter.com/wardcarroll/status/1242868410486345728?s=20

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 25, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alaan posted:

They have confused coronavirus and chicken pox.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

God I love the MULE cameo in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ByRXZCg9k

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Alaan posted:

Typically corona viruses are not permanent immunity.

That being said we don't know if people getting hit again actually are double dipping or had a false negative test before it cleared the system. The virus is barely three months old and we just don't know a lot of details yet.

I'm fairly certain a woman at work has a false negative result. She was going through "the worst flu of her entire life combined with whooping cough" and had to go to the ER, but was somehow negative. Now we have at least four units on base who have been ordered back to work and are back to normal flight ops, despite 7 confirmed cases on base as of last Friday. Lotta people are gonna die in a week or two.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamnit. I'm going to have that awesome song in my head all day now.

Thank you.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Republicans like that are ghouls and part of a death cult hth

Edit: I don't think the press secretary has ever met senior officers / SNCOs

https://twitter.com/wardcarroll/status/1242868410486345728?s=20

hahahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo this person

if they had any idea of the poo poo I've seen in just the past week, like people thinking it's a great idea to show up to work with a 104 fever

or how about the person who lied on a screening form and hopped on a plane with over 100 people

anyway that status partially explains this status: COVID-19 among troops jumped almost 60 percent this week, as their rate surpasses the U.S. at large

edit: of course most of the reason for this status is probably because we're in places like Korea, Germany and Italy where the national rate is higher than the US anyway, but still

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
First off having an illness is debilitating.

Secondly, being around any equipment with a 104 fever is a straight up safety hazard. If flying 8 hours later on two beers is too much a risk, try that poo poo on a fever.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I can't even imagine not being in the ER with a fever of 104, let alone trying to work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

buy forsythia

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ASAPI posted:

That is insane.

I can *almost* understand a call for very strict triage rules like in Italy (ie, old people will die, accept it). But this is insane. There is no way to guarantee the controlled rate of infection. This sounds like they were on some drugs and watching/reading bad scifi.

Nah. It’s like mommy blogger chickenpox parties.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I'm fairly certain a woman at work has a false negative result. She was going through "the worst flu of her entire life combined with whooping cough" and had to go to the ER, but was somehow negative. Now we have at least four units on base who have been ordered back to work and are back to normal flight ops, despite 7 confirmed cases on base as of last Friday. Lotta people are gonna die in a week or two.

That could absolutely "just" be influenza. Regular ole influenza can kill people in the same ways CoViD-19 does.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That could absolutely "just" be influenza. Regular ole influenza can kill people in the same ways CoViD-19 does.

It's the "whooping cough" part that concerns most of us, though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

best c64 song

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The number of infected is still vastly under reported.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52019509

quote:

Two-week timeline

9 March - visits family doctor

Claudia Bahorik sees her family doctor who agrees that she should have a coronavirus test. The local health system's protocol requires that he first carry out an influenza test, a test for RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus), a chest X-ray and some laboratory work to rule out other possibilities.

She goes home to await those results.

10 March - denied a coronavirus test

The doctor informs Claudia that while tests ruled out the other causes, Pennsylvania Department of Health did not give approval for her to get a coronavirus test.

She does not meet the criteria of having known exposure to someone who had tested positive for coronavirus, or travelled to a country deemed to be high risk.

Calls health officials and politicians

Frustrated and even more ill, Dr Bahorik calls the Department of Health. Despite exhibiting symptoms, and given her age and previous spells of pneumonia, they were inflexible.

On protesting, a nurse suggests she speak to her congressman. She calls the office of Senator Bob Casey, where she is advised to contact the Department of Health.

15 March - drives hour to testing site

After several terrible days of sickness, Dr Bahorik hears of eight coronavirus testing sites in the neighbouring county of Lehigh Valley.

It is an hour's drive and she is feeling weak but goes to the test centre in Macungie, Pennsylvania.

Denied test again

Once again she is told that because she had not travelled to a high risk country or been in known contact with someone with coronavirus, she cannot have a test.

Having once been a doctor in the US Army Reserve, Dr Bahorik contacts her Veterans Affairs hospital. They later tell her that they do not have Covid-19 testing kits.

By this stage, Dr Bahorik's chest pain and coughing has worsened.

17 March - sent to hospital emergency room

Claudia Bahorik calls back her family doctor.

She is told to go to the emergency room at nearby St Joseph's Hospital, where the clinician in charge has given assurances she can get a coronavirus test.

At the hospital, she has to do another flu test and RSV test, this time, however, the new chest X-ray shows she has now developed pneumonia in her left lung.

Finally gets coronavirus test

Dr Bahorik gets a test, though getting the nasal sample makes her nose bleed, covering the swab with blood.

She is sent home with antibiotics and told to wait 3-5 days for result of the test.

23 March - test results delayed

Dr Bahorik calls the hospital to be told that the wait for test results is now 10 days because the samples were sent off to laboratories that are currently overwhelmed.

She has not responded to the antibiotics, and remains ill.

This is a medical doctor who is 69 and has had pneumonia previously so is pretty drat high risk.

edit : oh and she possibly infected an entire court room and 150+ jurors at jury duty.

ded fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 25, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's the "whooping cough" part that concerns most of us, though.

Sounds like me when I had the swine flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My mom just let me know she had to go and get tested because she has flu-like symptoms as a risk-group that just returned from a risk-region.

I'm legit stabilizing my fingers as I'm typing this because this is unfortunately not the full extent of the story.

Three and a half weeks ago, my old folks visited me in Munich on the weekend before planning to embark on a trip the following Thursday.
My mom shows up in the strairwell and tells me she'D rather not hug because she's sick. Sure enough, she has a pretty bad cold. I immediately joke around how she should please keep her distance because "I couldn't afford to get ill due to my current workload".

At this point, it did not quite dawn on me that this would pose a problem for their trip, because I was honestly still not quite sensitized regarding Corona, and - and even more honestly - still worried more about myself catching the cold.
So we tour around Munich because she wanted to see her old "somtping grounds", all while caughing and sneezing, and at this point, I've essentially made my peace with catching the cold and being out for a week, but I chill out, because hey, it's my loving parents and I love them.

Once we start touring the Viktualienmarkt, it starts to hit home that she wants to go flying intercontinentally not even five days in the future, and I start getting pissed.
I slowly start raising the issue of her fitness to travel and experience ye olde wave-offe on account of being the "over-concerned son" that no one takes seriously.
At this point, they let me know they want to attend an 80th birthday of a friend on the following day. My concern increases.

As we hit the penultimate location of our trip around Munich, I'm now in full-on gloves-off mode and tell my parents in no uncertainty, that they'd be loving stupid to a) go to the cabaret event planned for the evening and b) attending the 80th birthday the next day in the state my mother is in. All with their trip on the following Thursday in mind.
I still receive the same hand-waving response I did before, but after turning up the volume, I manage to convince them to shitcan the cabaret, as well as the 80th birthday, and drive home so my mom can chill and recover at least before flying.
My reservations of them flying at all in the state that my mom's in are dismissed because "it's just a cold and she'll be fine by Thursday". I make my peace at this point, having at least negotiated some responsible behavior and call it a day.

Sure enough, three days after they peace out, I come down with a cold, work through Thursday and Friday, and take Monday and Tuesday the following week off while recovering from being a contagious rear end in a top hat.
As a brief, mid-post-disclaimer: This isn't about me claiming to be in any form of COVID-danger, because my mom is 75, her health is borderline-not-bad, she recovered after a total of 11 days of symtpoms and i was fine after 5 days. This wasn't Covid, this was a stupid-rear end-cold.

So my parents fly on that Thursday with my mom still sniffling, and three days later, they post pictures from a cruise ship. At this point, I start to get worried, because reporting about Covid was increasing, and I had no idea their trip included a loving cruise.
So I tell them to stay safe and be reasonable and up-front about my mom possibly still showing symptoms of what is starting to get considered the loving plague.

A week goes by, they're enjoying their vacation, poo poo starts going south in Europe, I calmly ask them when their cruise is over and whether they would please consider to cut their vacation short after disembarking (because they had another 8 days of vacation in Chile post-cruise).
I, once again, am placated as irrational and the vacation goes on.

It's now the 14th of March, shti starts "low-key" hitting the fan, talks of travel restrictions are afoot. Cases are spiking in Germany, and Bavaria in particular, I strenuously ask them to consider grabbing the next flight and coming home. Same response as before.
Now it's the 16th of March, talks of curfews in Bavaria, sharp spikes of cases all over the planet, travel restrictions in place everywhere in Europe, I legti loving beg them to take the next loving flight. Their response is "there's only three reported cases in Chile" and that I should calm down, they're flying on the 20th and "everything will be fine".

18th of March, they're chilling in the Atacama desert, and not too worried by a cautiously-worded notice by Air France that - at this point - only EU citizens would be allowed to fly home via connection flights through Paris CDG. My responses at this point are dripping with frustrated sarcasm/apathetic resignation.
19th of March, their travel agent notifies them that - while Air France vows to ship all EU citizens home - the airport at Santiago de Chile may not allow them to board on account of local restrictions barring non-French citizens of boarding flights into France. I startr drinking.
20th of March, they are sequestered from regular boarding passengers from the flight they were originally scheduled to catch, and promised "there will be other flights with connections through CDG". I'm screaming into empty beer bottles like they're a loving pan-flute at this point.
On the eve of the 20th, they actually catch a flight, are ushered through their connection in Paris under containment measures and touch down in Nürnberg on the 21st. I am the loving face of relief.

The following events were kept from me, because my family apparently decided to keep me in the dark because you definitely can't have the "constantly finger-wagging negative son aware of what may be a gently caress-up caused by gross-negligence".
Two days ago, my mother starts developing a cough and joint-pain, quickly followed by your average flu-like symptoms yesterday.
Today, she wakes up with an elevated temperature and needs to be told by my dad and my sister, that this "might actually be noteworthy to the authorities" (without, of course, mentioning a word to their totally-pessimist son).
She calls the hotline of her healthcare provide and the department of health, decides to hang up after "being kept too long on hold", calls again later, is assigned a test at a designated facility, and got tested around 5pm today.

What eventually sent me over the edge this evening isn'T the stupidity of my parents' travel plans, their ignorance in the face of clear loving risk, or their compounded ignorance in the face of clear loving indicators of risk spiking everywhere across the planet, because I loving love my parents, and I want nothign else but for them to get through this.

What sent me over the edge is my sister's comment after I was casually advised of the mandatory testing a couple of hours ago, and I quote:
"The question is probably overdue, but I hope the containment measures taken at the testing site were sufficient? I'm worried about you having contracted this while standing in line due to poor organization?"

If my mom ends up testing positive, which probably means that so will my old man, and they both end up pulling through, I'm strongly considering breaking off casual social contact with my sister outside of family meetings.

If the scenario tha t I cannot even put into words at the moment comes about, I'm hard-cutting any form of contact with my sister and anyone that associates with my sister until hell loving freezes over.

/edit: If that last line seems harsh, I apologize. It stems from 37 years of my sister being completely immune to any form of self-reflection that may point to her being wrong, and her tendency to not just deflect blame, but attacking everyone who dares to imply that an error of hers may actually be her own fault.
Sorry for getting emotional. I'm drinking a beer and going to bed

/edit: I cannot loving express how goddamn concerned I am for my old folks' health at the moment

/edit: cut that last bit, because - for some loving reason - I still seem to have a guilty conscience that my sister lacks. I'd be grateful if you didn't quote it, or could edit your quotes

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 25, 2020