Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Failson wakes up, sweating from the kaleidoscopic fever dreams, and weakly scribbles on his Lord Cybertrex bedside notebook:

"Paaaul, the true kwisatz haderach"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Pol = shortening of the way

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bubblyblubber posted:

Failson wakes up, sweating from the kaleidoscopic fever dreams, and weakly scribbles on his Lord Cybertrex bedside notebook:

Because... hold on a second...kwisatz thingy means the shortening of the way, right? And what way could possibly be shorter than never moving at all? So if we cloned the cloniest possible clone of a clone, then---

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Because... hold on a second...kwisatz thingy means the shortening of the way, right? And what way could possibly be shorter than never moving at all? So if we cloned the cloniest possible clone of a clone, then---

Gods below, Tree Bucket. Do you want Bijaz? Because that's how you get Bijaz.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bubblyblubber posted:

Gods below, Tree Bucket. Do you want Bijaz? Because that's how you get Bijaz.

*holds up picture of Dwight Eisenhower*
Let’s get Bijazy!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Bubblyblubber posted:

God I wish this was true. Because the alternative is that some hack writer borrowed a trope from Star Wars novels and applied it to a completely different, already established science fiction series

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not Paul, it's his evil ghola Paaul.

Bigger Paul

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So with the making GBS threads of our economy and the studio distribution on indefinite hold, what kind of delays are we thinking about for this?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
November (or early Dec) might be okay, although James Bond is crowding the schedule now as well, no doubt a few other movies too.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Dune and Bond are okay as they are in post production, they'll release as soon as cinemas reopen and people are able to go see them. Anything currently in production or pre-production however is totally screwed.

The new Mission Impossible for example is/was currently shooting a but has been put on hold, as has the new Batman film. Those kind fo films are huge machines that take a long time to start up again. Even if Corona is all magically solved by August you can't just turn the tap on and start shooting again straight away on those type of projects. Summer 2021 could be a very bare slate for blockbusters.

What this may do is screw up the chance of Dune part 2. Which sucks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

They should just welcome the shortening of the way and release to home distribution up front.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Direct to Shigawire

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So with the making GBS threads of our economy and the studio distribution on indefinite hold, what kind of delays are we thinking about for this?

There were re shoots planned that got cancelled, and it was on for a December release, so I wouldn't be surprised if that shifted back a couple of months.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

tanglewood1420 posted:

What this may do is screw up the chance of Dune part 2. Which sucks.

Buzzfeed 2025: 10 Amaaaazing Film Series Absolutely Slaughtered By the Great Collapse - #4 Dune

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Buzzfeed2025 is written on scraps of paper by a blind monk, and thrown to the breeze on a windy day

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Buzzfeed2025 is written on scraps of paper by a blind monk, and thrown to the breeze on a windy day

Top Ten Things I Remember from Before The EVENT

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pham Nuwen posted:

Top Ten Things I Remember from Before The EVENT

Number 7 Will Shock You!
For it is electricity, you see

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

!Klams posted:

There were re shoots planned that got cancelled, and it was on for a December release, so I wouldn't be surprised if that shifted back a couple of months.

2020 already sucking hardcore rn

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Tree Bucket posted:

Number 7 Will Shock You!
For it is electricity, you see

Chuckling irl

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

From the blessed thread.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zopotantor posted:

From the blessed thread.

Extremely poor water discipline

A little sand scrub will do just fine

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

i qanat even

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

In lieu of official news I'm still working on my tribute. This is a concept for the final shot, as we zoom out and out and out and the title fades in. The vibe is supposed to be late 1960s.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Vlex posted:

i qanat even

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Prolonged Priapism posted:

In lieu of official news I'm still working on my tribute. This is a concept for the final shot, as we zoom out and out and out and the title fades in. The vibe is supposed to be late 1960s.

UH i THINK you will find that in book 3 of the House Lord Terminatrex: Cyber Wars series it is established that one of Arrakis's moons has a ring because it is an ancient satellite built by hyper intelligent sandworms created when Leto II died and triggered his time folding device to fold sand trouts carrying his own conciousness back in time to build the M.A.U.D.I.B. super crysknife needed to slay the Dark God Emperor, which was given to Paauul after the Mecha-Baron Hyper Ghola decided to protect the hyper cube containing the soul of Doctor Yeuh from the reborn Desert Stealth Strike Rabban.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 25, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Improbable Lobster posted:

UH i THINK you will find that in book 3 of the House Lord Terminatrex: Cyber Wars series it is established that one of Arrakis's moons has a ring because it is an ancient satellite built by hyper intelligent sandworms created when Leto II died and triggered his time folding device to fold sand trouts carrying his own conciousness back in time to build the M.A.U.D.I.B. super crysknife needed to slay the Dark God Emperor, which was given to Paauul after the Mecha-Baron Hyper Ghola decided to protect the hyper cube containing the soul of Doctor Yeuh from the reborn Desert Stealth Strike Rabban.

Huh, guess @d*n***th*r finally got an editor assigned; the quality of his prose has risen significantly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
beefswelling

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

only at the spice orgy imho

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't even tell if this is real or fake and that makes me both angry and happy enough that I'm not looking it up to find out.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't even tell if this is real or fake and that makes me both angry and happy enough that I'm not looking it up to find out.

It's real. It's not in the books or anything, but it's real.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How This Horrifying, Eighteen-Thousand Pound Worm Monster may be our best chance at Stopping Trump

quote:

Absolutely stunning. After completing it’s thousand-year metamorphosis into the constantly undulating form you now see before you, this putrefying worm creature has announced it’s candidacy for President of the United States. It’s the first candidate to run as a school-bus sized Cronenberg monster in the Democratic Party’s history.

Voters are starting to view it as the strategic choice. While some have described it as disgusting, terrifying, or prone to dismember potential dissidents — it may still be our best chance at beating Trump.

“Well, I didn’t like how it used the Spice Melange to show me the exact moment of my death in perfect clarity. But I suppose having him hold Humanity in eternal bondage is better than four more years of Trump.”— Karen, undecided voter from Arizona.
Despite some early pessimism, it’s campaign is picking up steam. As an immortal Arrakian Sand Worm, it’s currently the second oldest candidate on stage — after Joe Biden. Top anthropologists also speculate that it’s dwindling, necrotic, unrecognizable, once-human core may be a person of color. A win for diversity!

“I used to feel that the best way to get back at the system was to rebel against it. I see now that all rebels are closet aristocrats.” -Dave, former Andrew Yang supporter who refused to comment on the small bag of cinnamon-smelling powder clutched between his feverishly sweating fingers.

While Biden maintains a commanding lead among the 65+ demographic, this hellish dis-amalgamation of warring consciousnesses has gained traction among voters aged 18–25, and those addicted to the mysterious, illicit, mind-expanding spice which seems to come from the monster’s body.
“Sure I like Sanders, but when the God-Emperor showed me the inevitability of humanity’s submission to it’s Golden Path, I knew that I had to start looking at realistic options.” -Janet, College Student

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

lmao the author is moneo. :discourse:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
All Liberals are closet aristocrats, and I feel Frank knew the difference between leftists and liberals

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is Muad’dib the fash?

Does it matter?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is Muad’dib the fash?

Does it matter?

He’s every fash that’s ever lived.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's a real fash-out-of-water story

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, okay.

I did get the impression that since the Jihad they fill a lot of technological gaps with biotechnology, probably derived from alien and/or heavily genetically engineered life-forms. It's the Tleilaxu's whole thing and all; they're probably breaking the rules but everything they export has plausible deniability. You can definitely see where Warhammer got the idea, though as usual taking everything to a ridiculous extreme to look more like a heavy metal album cover.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wasn't sure that Sappo Juice is a different thing from Spice.

Mentats oddly enough are basically the equivalent of computers from an era where it wasn't long ago when 'computer' was a job title, not a machine. I think other sci-fi before then, maybe Lensman, had 'computer hacking' be telepathically taking control of a room full of people calculating numbers. Also goes with the theme that the Jihad probably backfired in that it just let to human beings being made into machines.

Dune question: when they have things like groundcars, shields, planes of various types, autonomous assassin drones, and other science doo-dads that obviously require precision computer systems: Where exactly is the line drawn with that and thinking machines.

My problem may just be we have dumb-machines that are absolutely not AI that are more dynamic than dune machines, but the tech level of dune is so wonky and inconsistent.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is Muad’dib the fash?

Does it matter?

He tells Stilgar, "Here's you're homework. Read all you can about this Hitler guy. Fuckin' amateur hour compared to my jihad, but still..."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Armadillo Tank posted:

Dune question: when they have things like groundcars, shields, planes of various types, autonomous assassin drones, and other science doo-dads that obviously require precision computer systems: Where exactly is the line drawn with that and thinking machines.

My problem may just be we have dumb-machines that are absolutely not AI that are more dynamic than dune machines, but the tech level of dune is so wonky and inconsistent.

With the exception of shields none of that is beyond what we have now and our computers are dumb as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The hunter seekers aren’t autonomous, just remotely operated. The one that attacks Paul was being controlled by a dude immured in the basement. Obviously something that we would call a computer is involved but it’s not like the machine is making its own decisions about who to ice.