Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Fader Movitz posted:

Wtf is a "framtidsforskare"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxbEfZmZFo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fader Movitz posted:

Wtf is a "framtidsforskare"?

Det är ett finare ord för spågubbe.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Read some article by a future tech science guy who's job was flying around the world and advising rich people. He said that almost all seminars he held in in 2019 devolved onto "How can I get the mercs at my doomsday bunker compound to obey me after society collapses and money loses all value".

Ideas floated was "control collars" and a food supply vault controlled by the billionaire.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Katt posted:

Ideas floated was "control collars" and a food supply vault controlled by the billionaire.

Also robots.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Read some article by a future tech science guy who's job was flying around the world and advising rich people. He said that almost all seminars he held in in 2019 devolved onto "How can I get the mercs at my doomsday bunker compound to obey me after society collapses and money loses all value".

As have been discussed in GIP, one mans bunker can easily be transformed to one mans tomb by the use of construction vehicles. Barricading the door and making GBS threads in the air intake was also mentioned.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cardiac posted:

making GBS threads in the air intake

Sounds like a community effort if it's a huge fan powered systems but a worthy undertaking.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/fiskargubbe/status/1242081504773189642

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Katt posted:

Sounds like a community effort if it's a huge fan powered systems but a worthy undertaking.

Future archaeologist: "Hey guys, look what I found in this ancient civilization's toilet!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Katt posted:

Post-apocalyptic New Zealand: Religion is built around making GBS threads into air intakes, though no one remembers why. The oldest members of the communities speak in hushed tones about the dread underground capitalist who must be fed poo poo lest calamity befall the Earth.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

Scandinavia Corona fight chart:

Denmark: 1326
Sweden: 1770
Norway: 2164

Baltic Corona fight chart:

Lithuania: 99
Latvia: 124
Estonia: 306
Russia: 306
Finland: 523

Denmark: 1591
Sweden: 2286
Norway: 2768

Latvia: 197
Lithuania: 203
Estonia: 369
Russia: 495
Finland: 792

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sweden trying to catch up, hmmm

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
With our weak responses to this crisis we sure are trying hard to win this one

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

sweden trying to catch up, hmmm

I suspect that all the big brain Stockholmers deciding that nothing ends this ski season played a tiny part.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

Denmark: 1591 = 284/10^6
Sweden: 2286 = 226/10^6
Norway: 2768 = 516/10^6

Latvia: 197 = 103/10^6
Lithuania: 203 = 73/10^6
Estonia: 369 = 278/10^6
Russia: 495 = 3/10^6
Finland: 792 = 144/10^6

You should count the dead too, that number is more comparable and not as skewed by different national testing strategies. And normalize for population.

Edit: Normalized count for population.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 25, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zudgemud posted:

You should count the dead too, that number is more comparable and not as skewed by different national testing strategies.

Sounds a bit gruesome. I'm considering changing it to total number of infected.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I suspect that all the big brain Stockholmers deciding that nothing ends this ski season played a tiny part.

You are saying that blowing up the bridges in Stockholm and blocking the tunnels would do wonders to contain Covid19?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

You are saying that blowing up the bridges in Stockholm and blocking the tunnels would do wonders to contain Covid19?

Unless if you have a job for me that pays like the one I have now? Or do you have an idea on how to also decimate the non-08 kommuner that have the same loving nightmare situation going on? Or idk something of substance that addresses the wet fart response that may feel that the government is taking to all of this?

What’s that, you don’t?? Just thoughts and prayers words like Löfven?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

Unless if you have a job for me that pays like the one I have now? Or do you have an idea on how to also decimate the non-08 kommuner that have the same loving nightmare situation going on? Or idk something of substance that addresses the wet fart response that may feel that the government is taking to all of this?

What’s that, you don’t?? Just thoughts and prayers words like Löfven?

Reminder to self, irony is not always obvious
Well, we all have to make sacrifices.
Blowing up the channel bridge to Skanör/Falsterbo would at least take care of the wealthy people running away to their summer cottages.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
its funny how store staff has to check my age at self-checkout when i buy an energy drink but they still have the open salad bar, lösviktsgodis etc. also all the buffets are still open

love to be protected by my big nanny state

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

42,847 unemployed March 9 to 23 despite massive government assistance.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 25, 2020

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Grevling posted:

Well now Norwegian did get help (they all ought to just be nationalized), how has your friend reacted?

I guess there is no chance any Scandinavian governments are going to hand people money like in some other countries? Will the Liberals try to discredit the idea by saying Trump wants to do it?

Sorry for late reply!
He was real happy at first, but now that he has become temporarily laid off he's gone into a deep spiral of depression :sigh:
He went on a rant yesterday to me during a breakdown about how he doesn't care if anyone dies or anyone suffers because of this, he's worried about the future of his career and the careers of those who have recently graduated and recently come into the job market.
I work in a NGO and we're lucky enough to not have our economy affected by this so far, but I'm going to quit this work in June and start studying again in August. My hope was to get some sort of summer job, but it doesn't seem like a realistic dream at the moment considering that I live in Oslo and all my trade skills are basically being a glorified receptionist and secretary at the office. It's been fun and valuable and it's definitely something I like doing; it's just impossible for me to compete with anyone else at the moment.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mercrom posted:

its funny how store staff has to check my age at self-checkout when i buy an energy drink but they still have the open salad bar, lösviktsgodis etc. also all the buffets are still open

love to be protected by my big nanny state

In an ironic twist that's actually not law either. There's neither laws against selling energy drinks to minors nor laws demanding ages be checked upon selling.

Stalins Moustache posted:

He was real happy at first, but now that he has become temporarily laid off he's gone into a deep spiral of depression :sigh:
He went on a rant yesterday to me during a breakdown about how he doesn't care if anyone dies or anyone suffers because of this, he's worried about the future of his career and the careers of those who have recently graduated and recently come into the job market.

:same::(

At least public sector temp work is kicking in Sweden right now.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 25, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

You should count the dead too, that number is more comparable and not as skewed by different national testing strategies. And normalize for population.

Edit: Normalized count for population.
We're early enough in the outbreak here in Scandinavia that deaths are not a great metric, since there are simply not enough people dying that random chance can't massively affect the numbers. In any case, the most relevant metric is the growth rate, not the total/per capita case numbers. A country where the daily case growth rate is 35% (like the US) is gonna catch up to one with a 10% growth rate extremely quickly, no matter how far along in the outbreak either is.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're early enough in the outbreak here in Scandinavia that deaths are not a great metric, since there are simply not enough people dying that random chance can't massively affect the numbers. In any case, the most relevant metric is the growth rate, not the total/per capita case numbers. A country where the daily case growth rate is 35% (like the US) is gonna catch up to one with a 10% growth rate extremely quickly, no matter how far along in the outbreak either is.

But to know the growth rate one would need either mandatory testing or a continous randomized testing of the population, and I'm not sure we have that either.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, yesterday the local hospitals asked our cell and Molecular Biology Department if we could make disinfectant for them as they were running out. An e-mail was sent out for the last component needed, hydrogen peroxide. Hopefully they could get that.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
If you're unemployed check with farmers in the vicinity. They have a massive need for labour now that they cannot employ seasonal workers from abroad.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There go the written exams. Though that was to be expected.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mordekai posted:

If you're unemployed check with farmers in the vicinity. They have a massive need for labour now that they cannot employ seasonal workers from abroad.

Employ to do what? shovel snow? :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

But to know the growth rate one would need either mandatory testing or a continous randomized testing of the population, and I'm not sure we have that either.
Obviously anything less than that is gonna result in real uncertainty, but presumably day to day growth happens in similar populations in terms of how many are gonna end up with a severe enough case to actually get tested? Outside the initial parts of the outbreak where individual behavior isn't averaged out. Assuming you maintain a consistent testing criteria, like for example only testing people who end up needing hospitalization, then your level of underreporting should remain relatively stable - making growth numbers relatively valid.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mordekai posted:

Thanks for the tip, I need an unskilled job badly. I've found several notices already.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Sorry for late reply!
I work in a NGO and we're lucky enough to not have our economy affected by this so far, but I'm going to quit this work in June and start studying again in August. My hope was to get some sort of summer job, but it doesn't seem like a realistic dream at the moment considering that I live in Oslo and all my trade skills are basically being a glorified receptionist and secretary at the office. It's been fun and valuable and it's definitely something I like doing; it's just impossible for me to compete with anyone else at the moment.

That sucks, he sounds like a bit of an rear end in a top hat but I hope he gets out of that slump. If you're looking for a summer job I've seen several job listings in agriculture and I'm sure more will be put out. This one for example is in Ski so you can probably get there from Oslo, I'm going to apply for that and a few more: https://arbeidsplassen.nav.no/stillinger/stilling/8e6e2360-81e0-41aa-b739-6d0fb1e76109

Goon project: someone try to get this job buying F-35s https://arbeidsplassen.nav.no/stillinger/stilling/f7298fef-7ba0-492d-8dee-f3df70800435

Grevling fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 25, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Looks like Sweden has passed Norway's current death toll in a single day in Stockholm alone.

e: Also for unskilled jobs, there's delivering groceries to old people and quarantined people. Probably notifying by phone and leaving it at the door with no actual sharing of the same space if I were to guess. Some of my students are doing that, might be a job that's mainly going to teens. But if you've got a car or a bike or something like that it might also be worth checking into, there's definitely going to be a need for people doing this.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 25, 2020

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obviously anything less than that is gonna result in real uncertainty, but presumably day to day growth happens in similar populations in terms of how many are gonna end up with a severe enough case to actually get tested? Outside the initial parts of the outbreak where individual behavior isn't averaged out. Assuming you maintain a consistent testing criteria, like for example only testing people who end up needing hospitalization, then your level of underreporting should remain relatively stable - making growth numbers relatively valid.

Yes that would also be a decent alternative assuming the similar healthcare systems make similar hospitalization judgements. Now we just need to dig up that data though.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

In an ironic twist that's actually not law either. There's neither laws against selling energy drinks to minors nor laws demanding ages be checked upon selling.

:same::(

At least public sector temp work is kicking in Sweden right now.

Plenty of work for us in health care, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :suicide:

Zudgemud posted:

We don't. I came down with a dry cough two weeks ago, and despite me working in healthcare at a major hospital the response was "We only test those that have either been exposed to a known Covid patient or have recently traveled to an affected area".
Basically we have no idea how many are affected because we aren't testing enough people to know.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008
Soon two weeks working from home with home schooling and home kindergarten on top and I'm starting to become desperate. Guess my productivity has fallen 50%. Also social distancing, so the kids can't play with their friends and we can't visit grand parents and so on. Brakkesyken is getting real. Please someone find a solution to this madness that doesn't include barricading ourselves in our homes forever!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
My wife is from China and has been looking at the Swedish respone to this and being all "what the gently caress are you morons doing?". She works in sorta health care related stuff and is pretty much single handedly responsible for this: https://news.ki.se/collaboration-increases-opportunities-for-covid-19-testing

Her bosses back in China said that the situation looks so bad in Sweden that they want to donate PPE-equipment to hospitals here.

Meanwhile SL is making sure literally everyone in Stockholm will be infected by cramming them all in overcrowded buses.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yeah, the Finnish health officials here have been scratching their heads over the Swedish reaction to the pandemic. Are you guys in denial or something? Here the government is putting the region around Helsinki in quarantine from the rest of the country, and you guys are like "hey, go enjoy your ski trips, and don't forget to meet your parents during Easter!"

I know Swedes are pretty relaxed and carefree, but this is just pushing your luck.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Nearly every Swede I’ve spoken to thinks that this is normal and a good course of action and most of us non Swedes are baffled at the inaction and galaxybrained response. Like I get not wanting to appear like you’re overreacting but this is the time to overreact.

My bedroom balcony overlooks a square and seeing old people just ~business as usual~ while I’m working from home is shortening my life.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

Plenty of work for us in health care, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :suicide:

The repeated severe understaffing of shifts is what is slowly getting to me. On the other hand, more workhours means more money! :shepicide:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 26, 2020

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

teen witch posted:

Nearly every Swede I’ve spoken to thinks that this is normal and a good course of action and most of us non Swedes are baffled at the inaction and galaxybrained response. Like I get not wanting to appear like you’re overreacting but this is the time to overreact.

My bedroom balcony overlooks a square and seeing old people just ~business as usual~ while I’m working from home is shortening my life.

It's incredible that nearly every old person I've talked to seems completely oblivious about the risks while all younger people are trying to isolate and want a more serious government response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
My dad's 74 this year and is taking it very seriously. Like, calling it the worst national crisis "since the war" (and by that he means WW2, of course) when I talked to him on the phone a week ago. Same thing with some older family friends.