Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stux posted:

then why do it

It makes the game far less of a slog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the game is only going to become more of a slog lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stux posted:

the game is only going to become more of a slog lol

the game has become steadily less of a slog since I started playing, particularly with the flea market making free money quick and easy

now mind you that will probably change when Nikita gets the open world of his dreams, but I'm not worried about it. glitching the stats up is one thing I can do right now and it will all be washed away next wipe so who the gently caress cares

e: just got home and checked, my str/end are reset but my health skill is still maxed so there's that. time to actually use air filters!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
ITT: people unironically try to explain that exploiting bugs isn't cheating

Yeah, leveling certain stats sucks, but saying that what you're doing isn't "cheating" is just adjusting the definition of cheating to suit you individually. Plenty of other games ban people for using bugs to get even slight ingame advantages, just because you haven't gotten banned doesn't make it right, and the game being grindy doesn't make it exploiting justified.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 25, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hazdoc posted:

ITT: people unironically try to explain that exploiting bugs isn't cheating

Yeah, leveling certain stats sucks, but saying that what you're doing isn't "cheating" is just adjusting the definition of cheating to suit you individually. Plenty of other games ban people for using bugs to get even slight ingame advantages, just because you haven't gotten banned doesn't make it right, and the game being grindy doesn't make it exploiting justified.

the game is in beta, we are testers. checkmate, liberal

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I know it'll never happen and it's against Nikita's vision, but I legit think a system where your PMC earns skillpoints each level-up which you can then spend to increase the skills could work. You'd have to know which skills are not garbage, obviously, but this change could rebalance skills and also implement it in a way where someone is probably never going to max out everything and therefore give players some meaningful choices. There are at least a handful of good ones to choose between - strength, endurance and recoil control for example, with lesser ones being stuff like health, searching, metabolism, covert movement, and the various weapon masteries.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2020

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I don't know anything about this game at all. I decided to watch some guy streaming at like 4:00 AM and before he rushed in he applied lip balm. Wtf. So is this game pvp only or is there like co-op against bots or whatever?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Stux posted:

in game economy without price controlling is always a disaster

i can think of half a dozen games off the top of my head that have extremely limited or lack any 'price controlling' that work fine

price controlling isn't the issue, it's that there is little demand for the vast majority of barter goods, and guns/rigs/headphones and other things do not degrade and the only way they leave the economy is through the traders, effectively making the auction house useless as a market, it's simply a trader with every single item unlocked.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Frog Act posted:

My friend bought this and convinced me to pick it up to play together. Match 1: I have an AK. We run across the map "customs" for twenty minutes. I don't know where I am but he says he looked up a map to our exit. We creep past a gas station, and someone comes around a corner and kills us both.

Match 2: We try scavs. We wander around a bit and I get to loot some stuff, find a sniper rifle. I snipe an NPC, or think I do. We get killed by other scav NPCs trying to sneak past the one I killed, lol

Match 3: We try scavs again. I actually manage to loot a corpse and a couple boxes with random nonsense in them. We escape with my friend's outside map using skills even though we had separate EPs.

I now have an SKS, a shotgun, and 5/6 starter pistols. It's funny to me that this game has no mechanisms for advancement, really, if you just thoroughly suck rear end - you'll get a little exp but ultimately you'll run out of equipment and rubles unless you're killing/looting. On the other hand, it runs well, I like that you have to actually accomplish something to advance, and it reminds me of DayZ if DayZ wasn't a complete pile of poo poo. The level of tacticool milsim nerd is off the charts but I'm into that. The lore is nonsense but in a charming Russian way.

I'm looking forward to playing more, but I really wish it had at least a compass with bearings as a default HUD or usable item or something.

Frog bro, dont engage the stats discussion in the thread, be a chill dude and :getin: the discord. Goons will help and often shower you with loot and guns.

e:

vandalism posted:

I don't know anything about this game at all. I decided to watch some guy streaming at like 4:00 AM and before he rushed in he applied lip balm. Wtf. So is this game pvp only or is there like co-op against bots or whatever?

You too dude, come be chill in the discord and goons can help you out. If you want to do a low stress run with zero risk, run a raid in offline mode, you can even turn scavs off to just wander the map and get a feel for it. In offline you dont lose or gain anything.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 25, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i can think of half a dozen games off the top of my head that have extremely limited or lack any 'price controlling' that work fine

go for it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frog Act posted:

I now have an SKS, a shotgun, and 5/6 starter pistols. It's funny to me that this game has no mechanisms for advancement, really, if you just thoroughly suck rear end - you'll get a little exp but ultimately you'll run out of equipment and rubles unless you're killing/looting.

This has always been my least favorite part of the game and it's easy to forget about it when you unlock everything and poo poo out infinite roubles for any build you wanna run. It's why I consistently oppose any nerfs to secure containers, the only real counterweight to this drag. If you're new to the game, 4/5 raids you run will be complete wastes of time. You'll earn nothing, progress nothing, die instantly without a prayer of fighting back, and lose tons of money for it. This most hardcore Tarkov experience (ironically only something you achieve when you are new and rubbish) might be fun when you're scrapping desperately with scavs for survival, but it's ever so tiresome against geared, experienced players who dunk on you in seconds. You don't even get to enjoy dying! Firefights are usually over instantly because of the immense power imbalance. You're basically just rolling the dice until you manage to get into a raid where it just so happens that no PMCs look at you.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the open world will solve this and make Tarkov more holistically punishing and tense.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
1) be new player
2) rush electronics for an hour
3) you should have a million rubles easily with no prior experience or any idea with what you're doing
4) that's good for 10 good budget runs, easy.

or

1) play auction house with some knowledge or scamming -> easy 500k-5m an hour

or

1) upgrade your workbench, do the free recipe poo poo

or

1) bitcoin farmer, get a free 150k every day for doing literally nothing. make your investment back in 2 days

or

1) scav run. you literally get a free set of gear every 20 minutes.

it's laughably easy to be a newbro in tarkov, just remove the cooldown on scavving (or make it 8 minutes that starts counting down on raid start) and there should be no excuse to not want to nerf secure containers which effect real players.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you can just play the game normally

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
lol yeah newbros can totally bitcoin farm guys

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

drat just got the game and heard about this workbench poo poo i can do for free money if i upgrade it. now i just need the materials, experience, and trader levels. it's too bad i can't get any loot, kills, or quests done

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m basically just salty that u have to run into a wall in some eldritch way to sprint for longer than 5 seconds TBH

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you dont and you should ignore people saying you need to

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

please knock Mom! posted:

I’m basically just salty that u have to run into a wall in some eldritch way to sprint for longer than 5 seconds TBH

you absolutely don't have to, the main reason people glitch is to max out strength, which you cannot reasonably level by playing the game. or at least, you definitely couldn't before this patch, but they've actually started addressing it now so who knows

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The best way to start getting money early in the game is to make the goal of every raid to make sure you get enough in your secure container at the start of the raid to cover everything you brought into the raid. If you do that, you can loosen up a little and make real money off of pmc/scav kills. You should run your scav every time its up and you aren't in a PMC raid. You go into Reserves, grab as much poo poo as you can and extract. I recommend Reserves because you can get to an extract from anywhere you spawn relatively safely and within a couple minutes. Even more so if someone decides to power the bunker door for you and you now have yet one more close extract. Don't forget about the sewer manhole. You might have to lose your backpack but the goal of the scav run is to get in, get 300k and out in a few minutes. Some of the veteran players might think 300k isn't poo poo, but early on its enough for a decent loadout and it's consistent.

As a new player i'd really just focus on memorizing Reserves. Go in offline a couple times just to get the feel for it (in between scav runs) and in about an hour you'll know enough about it to rush through it, grabbing good poo poo and getting out with what you spawned with + a nice chunk of money.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
They should come out with a mode aimed to help new players and poors that gives you a free kit. Like you could spawn in with a variety of random guns, and maybe some random trade goods or meds.

Too bad this doesn’t exist, I guess new players are relegated to hatchet runs and bitcoin mining.

Also lol at suggesting hatchet running to new players. “Yeah so go to the spots in these maps you don’t know to get a bunch of items that you have no idea what the value is, and even if you did you couldn’t sell them for fair money since the flea market isn’t unlocked yet. Also you’ll make no progress towards unlocking it since instead of doing useful and fun things, you’re hatchet running.”

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

causticBeet posted:

Also lol at suggesting hatchet running to new players. “Yeah so go to the spots in these maps you don’t know to get a bunch of items that you have no idea what the value is, and even if you did you couldn’t sell them for fair money since the flea market isn’t unlocked yet. Also you’ll make no progress towards unlocking it since instead of doing useful and fun things, you’re hatchet running.”

Only way to learn those spawns is to go in and play. It's arguably better to play as a hatchling to learn those spawns because you don't have to sneak around for poo poo. Nothing to protect. Scavs are good for that, but a lot of things will be gone by the time you get in.

And the good stuff you are looking for can be sold to traders for just as much, if not more, than it sells for on the flea market. The traders pay a poo poo load and at this point in the patch, everything is almost at the value a trader will give you for it. Outside of the really sought after, meta items. Even those get close. Gone are the days of selling hoses for 300k, screws/nails for 75k, etc. Just sell most of your poo poo to the traders.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

causticBeet posted:

They should come out with a mode aimed to help new players and poors that gives you a free kit. Like you could spawn in with a variety of random guns, and maybe some random trade goods or meds.

Only if they also make it so that you need to survive and extract to keep any of that kit, which weren't the two things discussed as the stumbling blocks for new players. Also, gotta make sure you can't progress your PMC in any way with that kit so you still get no XP or quests done.

ShowTime posted:

And the good stuff you are looking for can be sold to traders for just as much, if not more, than it sells for on the flea market. The traders pay a poo poo load and at this point in the patch, everything is almost at the value a trader will give you for it. Outside of the really sought after, meta items. Even those get close. Gone are the days of selling hoses for 300k, screws/nails for 75k, etc. Just sell most of your poo poo to the traders.

Yeah as mentioned frequently, the game is pretty much only at its best 1-3 days after a wipe.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I really wish we could message other scavs. Sometimes I just want to message them to tell them how loving idiotic they are for ruining both our raids. Go into a raid, don't fire on the guy even though I have the jump on him, announce my presence and do the wiggle. It's returned. Continue to kind of move about the building with him nearby as i'm trying to find a PMC sniping at people. loving idiot shoots me in the back, doesn't kill me, but I have a loving hunting rifle with no scope and die to the next 3 shots. Well you now get to loot the second worst gun in the game, with only 1 extra clip, and absolutely nothing else. Oh, btw, now the other scavs want to kill you and know where you are.

You loving idiot.

I cannot wait for the scav revamp to happen.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ShowTime posted:

I really wish we could message other scavs. Sometimes I just want to message them to tell them how loving idiotic they are for ruining both our raids. Go into a raid, don't fire on the guy even though I have the jump on him, announce my presence and do the wiggle. It's returned. Continue to kind of move about the building with him nearby as i'm trying to find a PMC sniping at people. loving idiot shoots me in the back, doesn't kill me, but I have a loving hunting rifle with no scope and die to the next 3 shots. Well you now get to loot the second worst gun in the game, with only 1 extra clip, and absolutely nothing else. Oh, btw, now the other scavs want to kill you and know where you are.

You loving idiot.

alternatively, whenever a pscav kills another pscav, it means one fewer pscav, which is the best outcome since pscavs are scum

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hakimashou posted:

alternatively, whenever a pscav kills another pscav, it means one fewer pscav, which is the best outcome since pscavs are scum

how can you say such a thing

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

hakimashou posted:

You can gently caress right off. Playing as a scav is such a fun way to play this game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ShowTime posted:

What is the revamp supposed to be? What pisses me off is that I can't kill a pscav who I can see is killing scavs without getting flagged as a killer myself :mad:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

What is the revamp supposed to be? What pisses me off is that I can't kill a pscav who I can see is killing scavs without getting flagged as a killer myself :mad:

Hmmm, you should be able too. I know i've killed a player scav who killed another scav and didn't have scavs aggro on me.

The scav revamp will allow various things like letting you somewhat modify your scav with gear (not much), adding communication among scavs, making it so you have "reputation" with scavs, so if you keep killing scavs you'll eventually just have negative karma or whatever and from then on, they'll target you in raids and a couple other things.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ShowTime posted:

You can gently caress right off. Playing as a scav is such a fun way to play this game.

doesnt make pscavs not scum!

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

hakimashou posted:

The only good scav is a dead scav

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

hakimashou posted:

it’s canon in takpob

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

every trader aggressively asserts that scavs are less than human, except maybe skier, whom everyone hates

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cup Runneth Over posted:

every trader aggressively asserts that scavs are less than human, except maybe skier, whom everyone hates

Fence loves him some scavs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"Wasting Scavs is no big deal, they are no humans anyway."

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've had the worst loving games the past two days. I'm starting to realize I suck at this game. I almost just want to wipe everything and start fresh. I feel so bad having so much money, gear and basically being at end-game, but sucking poo poo at the game. I can't wait for this game to add claymores and poo poo. I'm just gonna rely on traps to kill players I think.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of being terrible at the game, any good suggestions for getting better at combat and getting over jumpy combat nerves? Specifically I'm thinking about finding a reasonable budget Factory loadout (which may not be super realistic at this point in the wipe?) and just running Factory a whole bunch and shooting mans vs. crawling around Shoreline for 25 minutes and getting owned by a bush. Suggestions? Builds?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

take your scav onto customs and sprint to dorms because the people there arent as huge pvp lords as people on factory but theres always pvp up there.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think i'm just gonna become a professional rat. Not really care about killing people unless I can get an easy kill and just loot other peoples poo poo. I just found someones secret spot where they ditched their friends gear when they died i'm assuming very early into the raid (in the AESA bunker in the open field that PMC's spawn in) and it had about 750k of gear in it. I was just on my way out and here is this poor fucks 6SH118 backpack with his decked out AK-74N, rig, helmet and about 100k in 7N39 ammo. I'd say I feel bad about it, but I don't. I actually feel really good about it after having some poo poo games.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
The key to being aggressive is putting yourself in a good position and knowing that they other guy is freaking out too.

Teams you get the jump on are the easiest to kill, they are talking to each other, loud, confused, yelling at each other to dump their loot-shoot one and move

It’s the player scav that is the most dangerous prey, hiding in a bush with a hunter for 30 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

The key to being aggressive is putting yourself in a good position and knowing that they other guy is freaking out too.

Teams you get the jump on are the easiest to kill, they are talking to each other, loud, confused, yelling at each other to dump their loot-shoot one and move

It’s the player scav that is the most dangerous prey, hiding in a bush with a hunter for 30 minutes

This was me a few runs ago, except it was a corner and it was only a couple minutes. I swear I heard some glass crinkling (it was another scav) but then I heard two people run up. Waited a bit and one crept through a hole in the wall, where I promptly shot him in the back. I heard his buddy run around the back of the building and then some gun fire, followed by nothing. During this I kind of positioned myself to get his buddy, but I heard nothing and assumed a scav got him. So I went and looted the body, who was carrying some major poo poo and started to make my way to my nearest extract.

His buddy was out standing in the middle of the open, on Reserves, right where all the scavs get sniped from the radio tower. He looked just like another scav, just standing there. hosed my poo poo up good.