Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

prayer group posted:

The breakfast burrito is one of my favorite foods and never in my life have I considered smothering one in sausage gravy. You're a brilliant man. What's inside the 'rito?

Crispy potatoes, onion, jalapeno, pulled pork, eggs, and sharp cheddar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Good stuff. A good amchur replacement is lemon juice. Squeeze it over at the end, right before serving. The recipe writer appears to have confused aloo matar with dum aloo but whatever.

Good tip thank you! I’ll try that with the leftovers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

prayer group posted:

The breakfast burrito is one of my favorite foods and never in my life have I considered smothering one in sausage gravy. You're a brilliant man. What's inside the 'rito?

I like eating burritos with my hands so I put sausage gravy on the inside. Works great.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What's this?
Baked ziti you say?

Edit:

Fresh out the oven.
Whole wheat oatmeal cardamom blueberry

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 25, 2020

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
tried out kenji's risotto recipe tonight:

added fried shiitakes and raw enoki + a parm crisp

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

JawKnee posted:

tried out kenji's risotto recipe tonight:

added fried shiitakes and raw enoki + a parm crisp

Parm crisp is a good addition to hot wet rice

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I'm going to have to start using up my pasta and other dried goods, but before then 7Oz Sirloin, sweetcorn, asparagus, and pickled chillis.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Pisto con huevos tonight!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Pisto con huevos tonight!

Want that in my body.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

THE MACHO MAN posted:

more shakshuka with kufta

I think I am going to make this for the first time this weekend. Any hints? Favorite recipe?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Snowmankilla posted:

I think I am going to make this for the first time this weekend. Any hints? Favorite recipe?

Favourite savoury tomato-based sauce. Cook eggs in it. Sprinkle za'atar and sesame and herbs on top if you're feeling frisky. It's very much a what's-in-the-house sort of meal I find

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

mediaphage posted:

Favourite savoury tomato-based sauce. Cook eggs in it. Sprinkle za'atar and sesame and herbs on top if you're feeling frisky. It's very much a what's-in-the-house sort of meal I find

yeah I do this too. It's great for clean out meals and you can thicken it with meatballs, beans, other random veg, etc

Smitten kitchen has a fine one for a base and so does serious eats

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/shakshuka-north-african-shirred-eggs-tomato-pepper-recipe.html
Here's a kufta recipe, I usually make something like these and poach them in there. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/kofta-kebab-recipe/

I made some pork lomo saltado

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 27, 2020

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

I used to work as a private chef. Going through old photos to put a portfolio together to drum up some income, as I'm currently out of work due to covid-19. I've got 1000's if there's any interest, if not feel free to tell me to gently caress off 'ol geezer :v:

Healthy snacks were a priority, and the family shared my affinity for a constantly changing varietal of deviled eggs. Plain, some greek yogurt, avocado, sometimes after some posh party with some leftover caviar or they used to like rendered out iberico lardons with a vin with the fat for oysters, and I'd make bacon bits out of those and garnish hangover deviled eggs with them for everyone.

Soup crostinis for the soup below

Corn soup

Asparagus with limp sandbagged asparagus because sometimes that's the way you gotta roll

Cioppino with fregola

My micro kale varietal I'd pick up Sunday to garnish poo poo with all week, then make into "oh my god purple pesto!!!!" for the kids at the end of the week for pasta night

Purple micro kale pesto from above

Miso braised pork tenderloins. Would reduce this to a glaze and adjust with house made kimchi liquid, all of it got parted out for different stuff everything from sandos to ramen broth base to caveman style slices of the loins lol. I'd kinda braise poo poo out you normally wouldn't like that to sandbag myself some proteins for a few days if I was super busy.

Cauliflower bisque with black garlic and some squid ink and some micro'd purple cauliflower to make it look snazzy

The husband and I had a running collabo on breakfast sando ideas for awhile

My sandwich rolls and "sweet potato ranch" in an attempt to get the kids to eat some potatoes

Sous chef

That trader joes beef all hoisin'ed out with some shrooms and stuff. Cast ironed on one side dry in the marinade, layered on a sheet tray with the mis so I could flash and plate everyone's by myself

Individual white cheddar cheesy grits with a poached egg

Home made chicken broth in a shallow donabe (Old Bay 4 lyfe lmao)

What's that? Old Bay in your pasta dough?

Fresh Old Bay pasta!

Some uni/tuna/sesame cracker action

Leftover truffles from the night before? Truffle breakfast burritos, duh

tokyo reject fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 27, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That cat is very close to the food!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Outstanding stuff

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Great photos of some really inventive food! Can I get some details in that breakfast sandwich? Looks really unique compared to your classic BEC

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I'm kinda amazed you had to try to get kids to eat potatoes of all things

also I'd like amazing varied deviled eggs to show up in my fridge overnight somehow ty in advance.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Awww cool, I’m glad there’s interest! With the reality that cooking for a living is about to be really weird for the next year or so, I’m actually finding it really therapeutic and fun to go through all these old pics :gbsmith: Shoulda kept cooking for 1%’ers instead of going back to run kitchens :chef:

It’s poke time!

When Bourdain passed I was pretty upset. I figured if he can’t make it, how in the hell are the rest of us in this industry who haven’t made it that far? The kids loved Bourdain (parents were obviously very into food) so we watched the episode where he’s in Italy and makes the raviolis with the yolk in the middle, and I made some for the kids.

Was bored so I split the dough and added some spinach juice and sundried tomato purée respectively, then cut pasta dough stripes and ran it all together on the final setting through the machine to make stripes on the ravi’s.

Some chicken over orzo and squash with a simple little asparagus/parm purée

Some borscht with crab meat tossed in some meyer, creme fraiche, roasted pine nuts and beet chip garnish. This actually came out pretty good

What do you do when you want to have “Asian takeout night” but adhere to nazi-esque nutritional guidelines? How about “orange chicken squab” and “white soy and liquid shio koji marinated hangar steak broccolini beef!” :v:

tokyo reject fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 27, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tokyo reject posted:

Awww cool, I’m glad there’s interest! With the reality that cooking for a living is about to be really weird for the next year or so, I’m actually finding it really therapeutic and fun to go through all these old pics :gbsmith: Shoulda kept cooking for 1%’ers instead of going back to run kitchens :chef:

It’s poke time!

When Bourdain passed I was pretty upset. I figured if he can’t make it, how in the hell are the rest of us in this industry who haven’t made it that far? The kids loved Bourdain (parents were obviously very into food) so we watched the episode where he’s in Italy and makes the raviolis with the yolk in the middle, and I made some for the kids.

Was bored so I split the dough and added some spinach juice and sundried tomato purée respectively, then cut pasta dough stripes and ran it all together on the final setting through the machine to make stripes on the ravi’s.

Some chicken over orzo and squash with a simply little asparagus/parm purée

Some borscht with crab meat tossed in some meyer, creme fraiche, roasted pine nuts and beet chip garnish. This actually came out pretty good

What do you do when you want to have “Asian takeout night” but adhere to nazi-esque nutritional guidelines? How about “orange chicken squab” and “white soy and liquid shio koji marinated hangar steak broccolini beef!” :v:

The cooking is fantastic but I can't get over the color on the uncooked chicken, it looks amazing. Is that from a butcher? All the chicken I see here is pale as poo poo.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
It's not chicken, it's squab! Which I didn't know existed until now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

It's not chicken, it's squab! Which I didn't know existed until now.

Oh poo poo I'm dumb OP even says it, I wonder how it tastes compared to chicken. More gamey?

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Lol when I first started I wasn't really cool with the fact they didn't want to restrict their cat from the kitchen, coming from almost surgically clean kitchens. Basically it came down to politics between me and their head housekeeper because she didn't want to change the whole arrangement of where/how the cat got fed, and since I was new I just said gently caress it whatever. But honestly with the stress of the job (lots of times 16-18 hour days, lots of human interaction on top of cooking, all the shopping) my whole perspective turned around on that pretty hard. I grew to *love* that cat and even started spacing fish throughout the week on the menu so I always had tuna or ocean trout or hamachi trim or something in the fridge for kitty treats.

Dr. Krieger posted:

Great photos of some really inventive food! Can I get some details in that breakfast sandwich? Looks really unique compared to your classic BEC
I went on a terrine bender for awhile. There were a few months where they were hosting work/kids related stuff at the house several times a week, and they wanted passed apps etc etc out. Thing is, I'd usually also have to make dinner for the family for the same night as well so I tried to do stuff I could sandbag ahead of time and just put out for guests. So I got a bunch of different terrine molds, that's a duck/duck heart/red wine/lovely stale truffle terrine. We had some awesome duck eggs, so I made duck egg and parm scrambles, with duck terrine for a little breakfast sando. There were some horrendously terrible comments about "duck on duck" and "duck two ways" made that morning.

I started sorting out the breakfast pics into a separate folder, I'll do an all breakfast post. I spent a ~year working at Tartine part time doing lamination, and was doing laminated dough for house made breakfast "hot pockets" for awhile that got pretty ridiculous. Laminating dough by hand sucks though and takes the reason I liked it at Tartine (precision, even tension, etc) out of it, so I stopped making those.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I'm kinda amazed you had to try to get kids to eat potatoes of all things

also I'd like amazing varied deviled eggs to show up in my fridge overnight somehow ty in advance.
Their kids were pretty rad for the most part, but I'll never cook for another family with children again at this point in my life. It made the job 10x harder and more time consuming to cater to their ever changing whims.

VelociBacon posted:

The cooking is fantastic but I can't get over the color on the uncooked chicken, it looks amazing. Is that from a butcher? All the chicken I see here is pale as poo poo.
That's from https://www.devilsgulchranch.com

Their stuff is top notch, their stand at the Ferry Building farmer's market is very uh, 420 friendly, lmao. But seriously they're an amazing group of people, they care to the point they could be made fun of in a Portlandia episode

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sausage, kale, and orrichette.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I have concerns the cat is not close enough to the food.

Signed

Not the Cat

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tokyo reject posted:

It’s poke time!

Some chicken over orzo and squash with a simple little asparagus/parm purée

Your cooking is really beautiful and this isn't the thread for this question, but you having been in the belly of the beast I feel like I have to ask. Feel free to PM me your answer or just ignore the question of course. But, having worked directly for the 1%, what are your thoughts on them? Are they in some ways decent people or are they the inhuman monsters I just kind of assume they are?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Slow cooker 'pot roast' joint (I think it's brisket?) - put it over a bed of onions and added some stock, super simple. With skin-on mash and blanched spring greens that were then briefly fried with some garlic. Au jus from the slow cooker pot.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tokyo reject posted:

Miso braised pork tenderloins. Would reduce this to a glaze and adjust with house made kimchi liquid, all of it got parted out for different stuff everything from sandos to ramen broth base to caveman style slices of the loins lol. I'd kinda braise poo poo out you normally wouldn't like that to sandbag myself some proteins for a few days if I was super busy.

mama mia can you give some more info about this one? all of these pics are good but this is one that i gotta try

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
Shakshukaaaa!!

It's an apocalypse, gimme a break on the paper bowls.

Ecstatic Elastic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 28, 2020

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
veggie tikka masala

mushrooms

roasted potatoes, zucchini, carrots, and finished mushrooms

onions celery garlic and ginger, cracked coconut milk, tikka masala paste

finished product

served with buttered potato bread since we ran out of naan, real good!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

I made some popcorn korean fried chicken

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lots of good lookin food on this page! Let me fix the average...

Homemade naan (with unartistic butter splooge), kobi nu shaak (cabbage), phool kobi kaju anna mattar nu shaak (cauliflower cashew curry)

Ham eggy cheese crepe, asparagus and fennel with nuts and parm

Mediterranean "nachos" with spiced chickpeas, hummus and zhoug

The pita used above

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

those nachos sound good. i have all of the above plus tzatziki. time to make a weird Mediterranean garbage plate!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

kumba posted:

veggie tikka masala

mushrooms

roasted potatoes, zucchini, carrots, and finished mushrooms

onions celery garlic and ginger, cracked coconut milk, tikka masala paste

finished product

served with buttered potato bread since we ran out of naan, real good!

I’m doing Indian tonight too!

Lamb curry with mint chutney served over rice with leek and golden raisins.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rice and Dal, Chicken Biryani, Aloo Gobi

napa cabbage and carrot slaw, homemade ravioli stuffed with asparagus, shallots and gorgonzola, homemade pastrami slices.

Asparagus parmesan and tomato quiche.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

no complaints about the other dishes, but that quiche looks really, really good

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Picked up chimis and baked some bread.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
It was my wife's birthday yesterday and since our dinner reservation with friends were obviously canceled, I made a wonderful dinner for her at home.

Hors d'oeuvres included some red pepper jelly, salty bread and some spicey tomato oil (from Cheeky Monkey, check them out!)

Dinner was steak and asparagus.

Steak was sous vide' at 127.5F for about 2 hours and then seared with bacon fat and cultured butter on top.

One of our favorite restaurants and cocktail bars started doing large batch cocktails to go. This was called "No Zoo Dude" which consisted of Four Roses Whiskey, Sandeman Port, Turbinado Simple Syrup, Mint Oil, Lemon Juice. it was great.

We also made a birthday cake. A pistachio cardamon cake we saw awhile ago on Milk Street (https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/pistachio-cardamom-cake). It was great. We made it in a round instead of a loaf pan because it's a loving birthday cake!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's neat and all but what's with the donut which looks to be cut like a hamburger bun?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

atothesquiz posted:

Dinner was steak and asparagus.

I’m sorry is that a hamburger bun with your wife’s face on it?

E: or some man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Since we couldn't have our normal dinner guests with us, my wife requested to have Dr Fauci and Joe Exotic for dinner.

She got a donut with Dr. Fauci's face on it and a monitor setup in portrait mode with Joe Exotic on it.