Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Well that was a short lived furlough...2 days (for which I am taking PTO). My immediate boss called me this afternoon and asked me to come back, which I accepted. Turns out having one person do the job of six was not going to work out. They've only guaranteed me that I will be un-furloughed for the remainder of this week and all of next, but I feel like I will still be kept beyond that based on the existing backlog for April.

I attribute this 100% to "skill stacking" in my department. We handle sales of injection molding machines in North America, our department is responsible for technical clarification, quote generation, order processing, and logistics of shipping the machines from Germany. The shipment from Germany is silo'd off to one person who doesn't handle the other technical stuff and last summer she broker her leg and I volunteered to take on her work load for a couple months. Besides the department manager (who was the one not furloughed before today) I am the only one who can handle every role in the department, which was the exact reason why I was asked to return early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

A question for anyone that may know more than me about this topic (I've googled with no luck). My wife just finished draining the last of her UI bennies in California this past weekend. Her award amount is now $0. It's impossible for her to return to work right now with the shelter in place order.

Has anyone seen any specifics on what happens to people that were unemployed but have exhausted their award, or is anyone else in a similar circumstance? I'm seeing 12 or so weeks of "extended benefits" but I have no idea how that affects people that were at $0 as of March 23rd.

I'd speculate that she will be eligible for the $600 weekly enhancement even if she's gone through her state award, but I'm not sure of anything right now. I sent an email to the California EDD a week ago but I'm painfully sympathetic of those poor people on the other end that are being absolutely crushed right now, so I don't expect a response in anywhere close to their normal timeframe.

For reference, during her base period she made more than enough to qualify for the weekly max, if that has any effect.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
well, my roughly 60 person company decided to cut salaries rather than start reducing people, and cuts are progressive (5% for entry level and admin, 7% for next level, 10% for managers, 15% for directors, 20% for managing directors). I'm glad we are doing this rather than lay people off, and I'm in a good situation where I can take the 15% paycut without any issues. Stay safe out there and keep them emergency funds topped off.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

well, my roughly 60 person company decided to cut salaries rather than start reducing people, and cuts are progressive (5% for entry level and admin, 7% for next level, 10% for managers, 15% for directors, 20% for managing directors). I'm glad we are doing this rather than lay people off, and I'm in a good situation where I can take the 15% paycut without any issues. Stay safe out there and keep them emergency funds topped off.

That seems oddly fair towards the workers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This really is the best case scenario as we plow into what is starting to look like a deep recession. I will gladly take a cut like that and zero bonuses/stock grants next year to keep the checks keep rolling. Skip me over on the stimulus package too.

I hope that's the end of the line for you in the impacts from your company. I also hope that you work for a good company that if/when the good times come back they make up for this sacrifice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

That seems oddly fair towards the workers.

we are a pretty good place to work, all things considered

we're also deferring the salary so in theory when the economy recovers people will get that paid back at the front of the line before shareholder dividends and bonuses

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we are a pretty good place to work, all things considered

we're also deferring the salary so in theory when the economy recovers people will get that paid back at the front of the line before shareholder dividends and bonuses

Good company. Respect.

Our ceo (Fortune 250 utility) has committed to no layoffs like we did in 2008. We shall see though depending on how deep this goes. Our cfo retired this week so I'm a bit worried. They said it was long planned but why announce it now, especially since he's staying on until year end???

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Just found out we're getting a 2 dollar temporary raise as hazard pay since we are essential, and it will go through at least may 3rd, and they're allowing us unlimited overtime since right before this all happened a bunch of employees quit.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I took my March monthly data from Mint and put it into my Google sheet that I use to track income and expenses. I noticed we spent less in March than we have any other month since June 2017! And before that, only Sept/Oct 2016. And we only started social distancing around the half-month mark. I'm very curious to see how April goes and if we can hit a "high score."

To be fair, I plan to be patronizing a list of about 5 favorite local restaurants every few days via takeout. I feel like there are restaurants that you see close and you say "Aw, X closed" and ones you see close and go *gasp* "NOOOOOOooooOOOoo". My list of 5 are the latter!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

I took my March monthly data from Mint and put it into my Google sheet that I use to track income and expenses. I noticed we spent less in March than we have any other month since June 2017! And before that, only Sept/Oct 2016. And we only started social distancing around the half-month mark. I'm very curious to see how April goes and if we can hit a "high score."

To be fair, I plan to be patronizing a list of about 5 favorite local restaurants every few days via takeout. I feel like there are restaurants that you see close and you say "Aw, X closed" and ones you see close and go *gasp* "NOOOOOOooooOOOoo". My list of 5 are the latter!

My general spending is down, my eating out is up though. We are on one income but can afford to support our favorite local spots. We agreed to 2 dinners, 1 lunch, and 2 breakfasts a week. So it is kind of strange but feel good about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We're doing once maybe twice a week depending on how hectic the day went, with enough for leftovers to eat for lunch the next day. We're also avoiding chains. I hear people at work talking about supporting their local restaurants... like Panera. :stare:

Oddly enough our amazon credit card bill for last month was $45, which is shockingly low.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

H110Hawk posted:

We're doing once maybe twice a week depending on how hectic the day went, with enough for leftovers to eat for lunch the next day. We're also avoiding chains. I hear people at work talking about supporting their local restaurants... like Panera. :stare:

Oddly enough our amazon credit card bill for last month was $45, which is shockingly low.

That is pretty funny. All the places we hit up are local thankfully. I don't even know of a chain within walking distance. Probably a Starbucks but you would pass 3 other non chain coffee shops.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wrong thread

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Our spending is way, way, way down. We ordered alcohol on Drizly and are otherwise just eating up the pantry and the freezer. I found a steak way at the back of the freezer and a bottle of glühwein from December in a cabinet. My husband says "it's a quarantine miracle!" each time we find a treasure.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
It's interesting to think how much you usually spend on food each week and compare it to how long you can survive in the stuff in your cupboards alone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I actually nearly doubled my grocery spending, $700 as opposed to like $350-$400. Fuel was way down, only $100 or so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I actually nearly doubled my grocery spending, $700 as opposed to like $350-$400. Fuel was way down, only $100 or so.

Hoarder spotted.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

tuyop posted:

Hoarder spotted.

You would think that, but I'm on my last roll of toilet paper :ohdear:. I've just been going through a lot more food, since my SO is kinda informally moved in for the duration of the madness.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Beach Bum posted:

You would think that, but I'm on my last roll of toilet paper :ohdear:. I've just been going through a lot more food, since my SO is kinda informally moved in for the duration of the madness.

Ah, the 'trial by fire' method of testing a relationship.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Beach Bum posted:

Same here. I normally shop by the ads and get what’s on sale, but that’s gone out the loving window since the stores have been empty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i'm normally on the road ~3 days a week so the food consumption at home has gone up quite a bit

we are trying to eat take out ~2x week to support the various local businesses. we can afford it and my job is secure but it kind of nags at me that it's wasteful. still, when things come back, i want these places to still be around.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

spwrozek posted:

That is pretty funny. All the places we hit up are local thankfully. I don't even know of a chain within walking distance. Probably a Starbucks but you would pass 3 other non chain coffee shops.

I mean, local people work at chain restaurants too. I'm not saying local places don't deserve more attention given everything going on, but don't discount the local impacts of a chain closing too

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

I mean, local people work at chain restaurants too. I'm not saying local places don't deserve more attention given everything going on, but don't discount the local impacts of a chain closing too

My logic is the chains have the massive corporate backing to come back after this. Local stores do not. One could be a permanent loss of jobs and the other is a temporary one. I normally hit up Buffalo Wild Wings or some other greasy chain for Friday as a reward for eating my usual salad at home 5 other days. I'm not worried BWW will be around after this. I am worried my local lebanese restaurant will be around. Spending money in the economy is great, I am hoping it will have more impact this way.

Also maybe I want Cheesecake Factory to go out of business what of it?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Eh, corporate-owned chains may stick around, but franchises are mostly local owners/operators, so it's not just the workers who would be hurting, but the owners too. With the exception of owners who hit it big and own a dozen+ stores, most(?) franchise owners are people who sunk their retirement in to opening a store.

That said, I'd definitely prioritize properly local establishments before I'd hit up a chain, regardless of who owns it.

But starbucks can keep their burnt garbage coffee.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^lol I hate cheesecake factory so much.

Omne posted:

This is fair. I am only going to the places that we normally would go to though. I would guess people out in the burbs are still hitting up Olive garden and whatnot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Eh, corporate-owned chains may stick around, but franchises are mostly local owners/operators, so it's not just the workers who would be hurting, but the owners too.

I figure in an absolute odds game the franchiser is likely to have the political clout to advocate for bailouts or cheap/0 cost loans down to their local franchisees. It's the highest impact per dollar spent into the local economy I can without going crazy on over-optimization.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Omne posted:

all of the chains closing in my town would probably positively impact my quality of life

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My company hasn’t done anything yet but there’s a rumor that we’ll be instituting a company wide 10% cut with the goal of losing 0 employees and paying it back when things come back online. If it gives me peace of mind that I’ll be given a check I say hell yes. Also lol I got a 13% raise in February anyways.

On a totally different note, I’ve been banking my savings with Ally for several years now and I’m thinking about giving Wells Fargo my entire middle finger by moving my checking account there to. After knowing that I never use brick and mortar branches, can anyone think of a reason not to?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

My company hasn’t done anything yet but there’s a rumor that we’ll be instituting a company wide 10% cut with the goal of losing 0 employees and paying it back when things come back online. If it gives me peace of mind that I’ll be given a check I say hell yes. Also lol I got a 13% raise in February anyways.

On a totally different note, I’ve been banking my savings with Ally for several years now and I’m thinking about giving Wells Fargo my entire middle finger by moving my checking account there to. After knowing that I never use brick and mortar branches, can anyone think of a reason not to?

It costs them money to provide you that free account. So: Spite?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

It costs them money to provide you that free account. So: Spite?

See also: why I still make places send me paper statements.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rolo posted:

I use ally as my primary checking account and have no complaints

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm freaking out a little bit, I'm not entirely sure how it happened but somehow I've managed to spend more than what I've been earning for the last several months to the tune of five grand, give or take. My fiance's mom gave me 12k in...October 2019?, roughly, to cover their contribution to wedding expenses. I've done the math and I don't think it's a huge problem currently, we'll be fine this is more for honeymoon + after and I don't think we'd spend more than 4-5k of it on the wedding itself, which is in October of this year. Currently that's down to around 8k which is awful and gives me a stomach ache whenever I look at it.

We've just had expenses on top of expenses and these last few months have been really rough, since like November we've just had so many costs and it's been a real problem. I'm hoping these stimulus checks or whatever will help, tax returns should help a bit...I'm hoping I can talk to my work and try and work something out where I can bring in some extra cash or something. It's just so hard to spend no money, especially with all this poo poo happening. I need to go to the store tomorrow and hopefully it'll help things out a bit.

I also signed up with a personal trainer at a gym to try and help get me into shape a bit more for the wedding but I think I've underestimated what that's costing me and I'm in a bit of trouble there too, it's more expensive than what I feel comfortable with right now. I've just been bleeding money for the past several months and while it's salvagable I'm still REALLY worried about it.

I'm tiredposting but tomorrow as soon as I wake up I'm going to set up Minted or YNAB or whatever and try and sort this poo poo out. I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely overspending on food, I don't buy much else and we've been eating out a lot because it's been hard to shop here as much as I'd like.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah, definitely at least get everything into a spreadsheet or budget program and figure out where the money went. It's super easy to not do that and just say "well, i'm just not going to waste any more money, i don't need to look back and get mad at myself." but if that were the case you'd have just not done it in the first place. These are super tough times and it's critical to get a handle on it right now, especially in case your financial situation changes for the worse.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That’s absolutely what I’ve been thinking and I think that’s been the problem

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, don't hire a personal trainer if you have money problems. If you're fat you can just start skipping meals, and as a bonus you'll be saving money on food. If you're scrawny there are tons of bodyweight exercises you can do that will work specific muscles to make you look good in pictures. And posture will take you 80% of the way there anyway.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Go read the YLLS beginner thread, it’s really good and will provide a great starting place if you wanna lose weight, you probably don’t need a personal trainer.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

moana posted:

Yeah, don't hire a personal trainer if you have money problems. If you're fat you can just start skipping meals, and as a bonus you'll be saving money on food. If you're scrawny there are tons of bodyweight exercises you can do that will work specific muscles to make you look good in pictures. And posture will take you 80% of the way there anyway.

honestly it was affordable for a while but then we started having a lot of other expenses show up that were temporary but still problematic enough that it's been an issue that's still a problem. i'm reluctant to get rid of it entirely (and possibly can't since i did sign a contract) but i'm going to try and limit it to like once a week or less. I've gotten enough out of it that I don't regret signing up for it and I can definitely get more out of it if I continue doing it so while in an ideal situation I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore I'm absolutely fine with still paying for it. it was an affordable decision at the time, albeit a shortsighted one. might just have to deal with it.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
This might sound a little harsh, but I want to be as honest with you as I wish someone was with me when I was in a similar spot. You don't get to really say this:

Thumbtacks posted:

honestly it was affordable for a while

when you just got finished saying this:

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm freaking out a little bit, I'm not entirely sure how it happened but somehow I've managed to spend more than what I've been earning for the last several months to the tune of five grand, give or take.

Your idea of what is "affordable" is busted, and you need to really re-calibrate yourself on what you make, what you spend, what is essential, and what is a luxury. It doesn't sound like you're in an unrecoverable place, but you really need to stop and consider the assumptions you've made and your relationship with money.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, nothing is "affordable" unless you have the cash to buy it. I don't understand the casual attitude some people have about credit card debt. Turn off the spending spigot and stop consuming luxuries for a while, it's really not that hard and high interest debt is an anchor that drags down way too many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ObsidianBeast posted:

This might sound a little harsh, but I want to be as honest with you as I wish someone was with me when I was in a similar spot. You don't get to really say this:

when you just got finished saying this:

Your idea of what is "affordable" is busted, and you need to really re-calibrate yourself on what you make, what you spend, what is essential, and what is a luxury. It doesn't sound like you're in an unrecoverable place, but you really need to stop and consider the assumptions you've made and your relationship with money.

Well all I meant by that was at the time it was well within budget and then I had a bunch of unexpected poo poo come up which drained my wiggle room and then my weekly expenses also went up suddenly i was in much less of an okay place than i was when i signed up for it five months ago. i see what you're saying, though, and i wouldn't have signed up for it if i'd known this is what would happen. it's certainly not affordable now