Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeast posted:

Also look into a cheap ultrasonic cleaner for the airbrush.

For the ultrasonic cleaner, what cleaning solution do you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I said come in! posted:

For the ultrasonic cleaner, what cleaning solution do you recommend?

I use water with a splash of simple green, but honestly in a pinch dishwashing liquid will do.

The ultrasonic cleaner took me from

“Well it looks pretty clean”
To
“Where the gently caress did all that come from?”

It’s been great

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Added bonus: your partner will love you for being able to clean their jewellery to show room levels for free.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Skails posted:

I had been working on a Golden Demon entry for the past two and a half months and looks like I got some extra time to finish it, so I put that on pause and did up a Celestial Warbringers test model.

The textured white on the shield is really cool

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
haven't pin washed the dude on the right yet or snowed his base yet but putting him with his friend...

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Speaking of the backflow method of mixing paint and thinner in the airbrush cup... Is this bad? It's not really possibly with the Patriot 105, not without drawing blood at least, and I'm not planning to paint any Khorne armies anytime soon

V - that's very obvious and I feel foolish for not having tried it

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 25, 2020

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Speaking of the backflow method of mixing paint and thinner in the airbrush cup... Is this bad? It's not really possibly with the Patriot 105, not without drawing blood at least, and I'm not planning to paint any Khorne armies anytime soon

Just block the needle with a paper towel.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Sometimes sacrifices must be made in order for the paint to flow freely. :emo:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Nighthaunt Gloom is a Glaze.
https://youtu.be/4dTLRKLhd9c

thanks, that video is super helpful!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

You can do it without the paper towel with good timing and practice.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

COVID-19-related mass buying, I can only assume, has limited the supply of spray primer. Can I prime with ordinary black model paint?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Not well, but it can be done if you seal the hell out of the finished model.

You're WAY better off picking up a can of conventional black primer from a super Walmart or online. Krylon's ultra-flat special purpose camouflage black is pretty ideal and widely available.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I quite often use car primer, it works fine and might be easier to get hold of at the minute.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The rustoleum flat primers work well too. Just make sure you dont get something thats a primer+filler

moths
Aug 25, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I quite often use car primer, it works fine and might be easier to get hold of at the minute.

My favorite primer all around is Duplicolor sandable primer, but I'm not sure if car parts stores are open locally.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

moths posted:

Not well, but it can be done if you seal the hell out of the finished model.

You're WAY better off picking up a can of conventional black primer from a super Walmart or online. Krylon's ultra-flat special purpose camouflage black is pretty ideal and widely available.

Yeah, I usually use krylon primer spraypaint, or their ultra matte paint to prime with. No way I was ever going to spend the $20 GW wants for a can of their primer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GW stuff is expensive enough in the UK it must be stupid overpriced elsewhere

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did we ever get closure on whether or not citadel sprays are actually primer?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

moths posted:

Did we ever get closure on whether or not citadel sprays are actually primer?

They function as primer as well as anything else I've used, including rustoleum primer and the like. I'm not sure if there is an official word about chemical composition or anything though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just got out of a COVID-19 briefing put on by physicians.

If you own a respirator mask for airbrushing, please consider donating it to your local hospital. There is a severe shortage of respirators for doctors during this pandemic, and every little bit helps.

Please spread this message around if you can.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If anybody new to painting is skipping to the end of the thread, I bought the Reaper Minis Core Starter Kit and I would definitely recommend it. I previously painted minis but that was over 10 years ago, and was never very good.

The paint droppers seem much easier than the paint pots I remember, and the included brushes and minis seem to be decent quality. The 11 included paints seem more geared towards fantasy minis than sci-fi, but not terribly so. The real value was the booklet that comes with the kit. It provides large photos of what sort of consistency you need for basecoating, washes, and drybrushing - something that I never really grasped in the past.

Overall, I think it's been helpful, and I plan to buy their "Layer Up" kit soon.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Tibalt posted:

If anybody new to painting is skipping to the end of the thread, I bought the Reaper Minis Core Starter Kit and I would definitely recommend it. I previously painted minis but that was over 10 years ago, and was never very good.

The paint droppers seem much easier than the paint pots I remember, and the included brushes and minis seem to be decent quality. The 11 included paints seem more geared towards fantasy minis than sci-fi, but not terribly so. The real value was the booklet that comes with the kit. It provides large photos of what sort of consistency you need for basecoating, washes, and drybrushing - something that I never really grasped in the past.

Overall, I think it's been helpful, and I plan to buy their "Layer Up" kit soon.

I can confirm that both those kits are great.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I know the photo isn't good enough for people to be able to offer feedback, but just finished a set of 4 cheap plastic hippogryphs

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tibalt posted:

I know the photo isn't good enough for people to be able to offer feedback, but just finished a set of 4 cheap plastic hippogryphs

Looking decent, especially as I find taking photos immediately shows all the flaws that arent immediately visible to the naked eye, if you are looking for feedback; I'd hit that bad boy with a dark brown wash, particularly over the textured areas on the forequarters and wings, see if that brings out the detail a little bit more. You can lighten the textures back up with a quick drybrush of the original colour once the wash is dry.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Tibalt posted:

Reaper has also released 2 "Take and play" paint kits with random models and specific colours, which may be worth the investment:

https://twitter.com/reapermini/status/1243201774628081664

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Aaaand DONE! with the Wildfire keyword for Malifaux. Carlos Vasquez and the monster kid Iggy joins the crew. Carlos has a lot of OSL on his underside where no-one will ever see it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Would love to see some team glamour shots sometime, I bet it's really striking on a dark board

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I was about to ask if you have a shot of the whole crew together.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tibalt posted:

Thanks that sounds really good, might look into getting that

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Would love to see some team glamour shots sometime, I bet it's really striking on a dark board

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I was about to ask if you have a shot of the whole crew together.
I'm working on rigging a closet, so I can take a decent picture on a black background. Action shots will have to wait until the self-quarantine (in Denmark) is lifted, or until society breaks down completely.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Action shots will have to wait until... until society breaks down completely.

So we'll see them maybe tuesday-wednesday next week?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

So we'll see them maybe tuesday-wednesday next week?
Probably a few days later. I'll have to secure a source of freshwater, and make spears first.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Tibalt posted:

just want to throw my hat into the proverbial ring and say that this kit was the first thing I ever painted and the book was incredibly helpful and anyone who wants to get into the hobby would be served very well grabbing the starter and eventually the 2nd level box.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a quick painboy yesterday!

I no longer have a ork backlog now. :v:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Family photo of the head of the secret branch of the Miners & Steamfitters Union, and all her favorite monsters, cultists, and psychopaths.

I got a lot of practice painting OSL with these guys, and how I can cheat a bit when going from extreme shadows to highlights.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

drat those look awesome together.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Been a while since I posted my minis, so here's what I've painted this month.

And these models are a few months old, but I took some new pictures of a couple of my Kill Teams.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

That is, by far, my favorite scheme and execution I’ve ever seen for custodes. You made poop models look great my friend.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That is all insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I got plasti-kote matt black spray, let's see if it works.