Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I stopped watching in season three because the journey started to suck :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I just rewatched it for the first time since it aired and i'm totally content with the ending and don't mind any of the dangling mysteries or anything too much. It's still really good, i guess my main complaint is probably too many guns and explosions and time travel during seasons 4-5. It gets a little bit too far away from focusing on the people.

Survivor starts in 3 hours so i feel totally guilt free slipping in my two cents on off-topic :lost: chat! This will be buried soon enough

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I watched Survivor Borneo a few years ago, I was surprised by how much of Lost's language felt like came straight out of it, like Probst talking about what "the Island" as a entity wanted and such. Was kind of interesting since it seems like Survivor dropped that kind of talk relatively quickly while Lost kind of kept it throughout most of its run.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 25, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Borneo is just a totally different show and its obvious that early on they thought they were making something closer to Naked and Afraid. Then Hatch just hijacked the game and started to make it what it is.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Society Game sometimes felt closer to what they were going for in Borneo. There was strategy in that game about who to get rid of, but since the final competition was a team comp, there was still consideration to making things work more like a meritocracy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Watching Borneo was super weird after watching ten seasons nevermind 40. I mostly remember Probst describing the contestants like some sort of rare Amazonian frog in a nature documentary.

Australian Outback was a lot of fun and a little more recognizable as Survivor. Africa is still the most insane location they’ve ever done with a pretty good cast.

I ended up deciding against another rewatch of China (it’s my “gateway drug” season to Survivor for newbies) and started on Australian Survivor again. I must have got to the end of season three so I just blitzed through all the “previously on” from each episode to remind myself. Now I’m two episodes into Australian Survivor season four and I’m really digging it! I think I’ll stick with it and catch up to All-Stars. (No spoilers please! :ohdear: )

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

BGrifter posted:

It’s possible someone could win me over eventually. Jeremy could make a few cool plays and get me on his side. But it sure feels like we watched a bunch of the most fun players disappear in three episodes.

A final eight of Nick/Michele/Sophie/Ben/Wendell/Adam/Sarah/Kim feels like a possibility and holy poo poo what a letdown given who we started the season out with. Hopefully at least some of Jeremy/Tony/Denise/Yul can hang around a while.

You aren't wrong... except that I'm not a Yul fan either... he's boring and virtuous.

This season definitely went from 60 to zero in the last two or three episodes.

I guess we can be thankful that Parv/Rob/Sandra weren't the first three voted out?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Africa is the absolute best Schadenfreude season

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In both Survivor and Naked and Afraid XL

Edit: Africa seems like a pretty terrible place to try to survive in general

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

precision posted:

Africa is the absolute best Schadenfreude season

Most hateable cast was definitely Thailand.

Other than Shii Ann, that was a bunch of wretched, racist, sexist people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Unison posted:

You aren't wrong... except that I'm not a Yul fan either... he's boring and virtuous.

This season definitely went from 60 to zero in the last two or three episodes.

I guess we can be thankful that Parv/Rob/Sandra weren't the first three voted out?

I liked Yul a lot mostly because I’m a big fan of that stretch of seasons a lot of people didn’t like from Panama through China. I liked all four winners a lot and thoroughly enjoyed each season.

It’s wild looking back how many people felt the series needed to be “saved” by Micronesia. (Which admittedly might still be the greatest season of all time) They had no idea how dark things would get in the Nicaragua through One World era.

One of my biggest disappointments about this season is it sounds like Todd’s demons prevented a potential return, and I think I read Earl Cole turned it down?

Edit: ooh an excuse to post the Survivor Amazon MTV preview show with Shii-Ann and Rob Z, the Vanilla Ice looking dude who brought a skateboard as his personal item to a show filmed on a beach. Famous for chokeslamming racists in challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQ36WsW6O0

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

BGrifter posted:

I liked Yul a lot mostly because I’m a big fan of that stretch of seasons a lot of people didn’t like from Panama through China. I liked all four winners a lot and thoroughly enjoyed each season.

China's one of my absolute favorite seasons... It's a shame about Todd after the show (who was a fun winner in his own right), but it's surprising that a season that gave us James and Amanda could be seen as a bad one in the eyes of fans.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Unison posted:

China's one of my absolute favorite seasons... It's a shame about Todd after the show (who was a fun winner in his own right), but it's surprising that a season that gave us James and Amanda could be seen as a bad one in the eyes of fans.

It’s by far my favorite setting and the one I use to introduce new viewers to the show. It’s got a great mix of everything cool about Survivor IMO. A great setting, some fun idol hijinx, one big memorable moment, a lot of fun cast members and a super satisfying winner who played a brilliant game.

I’m also the one weirdo who really dug Fiji. People hated that season for years. Last time I remember him answering Probst still cited it as his least favorite season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unison posted:

Not to mention Courtney and an incredibly hateable buffoon villain in Jean-Robert.

If people didn't like China I think its just because a season run by the small, mostly quiet guy and the completely quiet model with dead eyes didn't hit their buttons.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

BGrifter posted:

It’s by far my favorite setting and the one I use to introduce new viewers to the show. It’s got a great mix of everything cool about Survivor IMO. A great setting, some fun idol hijinx, one big memorable moment, a lot of fun cast members and a super satisfying winner who played a brilliant game.

I’m also the one weirdo who really dug Fiji. People hated that season for years. Last time I remember him answering Probst still cited it as his least favorite season.

I recently rewatched Fiji and just kinda found the pre-merge game hard to watch, given the ridiculous disparity between the two tribes. The post-merge was really fun, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Earl is a fun winner, Yau-Man is great, and the hilarity of the douche bro alliance falling apart was amusing, but yeah, Fiji is just too miserable and one sided for much of the time to be fun. And I think the way Michelle got done wrong followed by Dreamz screwing over Yau-Man just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Its just a largely negative season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow, I missed 99 posts but no time for that now:

LOL at Rob immediately giving Sandra poo poo for her dumb move.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I didn't expect this from Sandra. It makes some sense for her, but still a little disappointing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sandra kind of sucks at Survivor for a 2 time winner

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
idk I think it's pretty reasonable

but I would've waited till jury if I was her lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"queen stays queen"

No matter what there's a new two time winner and that 2 timer won versus all other winners... so yeah, you don't get to stay queen necessarily. You just punked out and someone else who wins didn't so that kind of gives them the edge over you!

Jesus, I do NOT remember Wendell being this much of a magic potty baby bitch.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Honestly, I understand how she must have been feeling, and leaving to preserve her mental and physical health is probably a wise choice, if a hard one to watch as a viewer.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

also she probably got a pretty big paycheck just for showing up

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

everyone loving BOOKED IT

"a portly chap"

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Rob you son of a bitch

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Rob........

Tell your wife at least, Rob

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It would be hilarious if Rob has to backstab amber at some point and still doesnt win

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

ben is an rear end

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Rob you son of a bitch

Khanstant posted:

It would be hilarious if Rob has to backstab amber at some point and still doesnt win

He'd do it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Wendell is so fuckin toast lol

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ayup... Wendell is going to the edge for being too cocky.

But will Michelle flip to spare her former boo?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Yul said Wendell dug his own grave my monies on Yul being the target

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, Yul went too hard and devious out of nowhere. I still hope Wendell goes, sick of his poo poo.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Put Sandra in the skull tower.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yul, hush with the strat talk! You're spooking your potential mates!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Yul, hush with the strat talk! You're spooking your potential mates!
Yeah Yul is like a bad poker player holding a high straight flush right now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm calling RIP Yul, the way Wendell said his thing makes it seem like he talked with all of em and had a pretty set plan

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Man, the old guard is gone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, bummer. Also, wtf they think they're going to get done with Wendell moving forward? Nick or Michelle are going home by Wendell's hand, at least one of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This Wendell/Michelle psychodrama is amazing.