Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The gaming group I'm part of absolutely prefers the 'GM tells the story' style over 'Mutual storytelling', and, after trying AW, FATE, and several others, they want to stick with the old style. They want the GM to do the heavy lifting and just be concerned about how their characters react.

Personally, I have no real problem with the 'Mutual storytelling' style, as others in this thread can attest, but I definitely prefer to run in the 'GM tells the story' style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I GM so often that when I get to play, I genuinely prefer to just focus on my one PC, yes. It's why I prefer playing in the more conventional style myself.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I would just like to play, period.

On a lighter note, Heart comes out in a week, and I am unreasonably excited.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Pathfinder 2e better than 1e?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It manages to trip over that bar, sure.

Arivia posted:

Correct. So it's a Kevin Crawford/Sine Nomine game, which means it's a very particular thing: it's a sandbox game using Basic/Expert D&D as a base. Now, it's a very well done example of that, but it may not be what people are looking for for their Cthulhu games.

The thing to realize is that Kevin Crawford's games are all about building your own worlds and sandboxes. He gives you random tables aplenty and tools and all sorts of things to do that, and he offers a lot of advice about converting/remixing/changing things up as you'd like (for example there's a luchadores against Cthulhu example campaign in Silent Legions). It's very well done. But it may not be the mechanical framework you want, and it may not be quite the right timeframe either (Silent Legions is modern, but you could change that). It also may not be the right playstyle - if Lovecraftian horror is specifically scripted stories to you, the Crawford sandbox model might not be as fun.

Here's my honest advice. Buy Silent Legions: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145769/Silent-Legions no matter what; you can use the generative tables and lots of the advice, scene framing and so on no matter what setting. Read it through. Maybe you will like the rules, maybe you or your GM will want to add sci-fi stuff from Stars Without Number or classic old-school D&D. If you do like it, you can also add in Realms of Crawling Chaos (same base system) for a lot more Cthulhu Mythos stuff: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/87813/Realms-of-Crawling-Chaos-Labyrinth-Lord

If you don't like it, you can still use the tables with Call of Cthulhu or whatever. In that case, I would recommend looking at the various GUMSHOE/Pelgrane horror games. One of them (Trail of Cthulhu) is specifically for Cthulhu Mythos games https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/55567/Trail-of-Cthulhu?cPath=561_8982; Fear Itself is a more generic horror game https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197312/Fear-Itself-2nd-Edition?src=hottest_filtered; and the Esoterrorists is about investigators versus terrorists https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123154/The-Esoterrorists-2nd-Edition?cPath=561_9314

I recommend GUMSHOE in particular because it's far and away the best ruleset for investigative games; it's the kind of system that rocked design so hard the most recent version of Call of Cthulhu took a look of cues from it to spruce up its own rules. That's your expanded world and your expanded systems right there; I hope you find what's right for you, and have fun with it!
Echoing every word of this.

There are some things about Trail of Cthulhu that seem a little clunky and inelegant, almost for its own sake, like they wanted to emulate that aspect of BRP. Stuff like "The TN to hit you is 3, unless you have Athletics 8+ and then it's 4." And "We put Health and Stability in the skill list, because you spend skill points on them, though they work differently from everything else." But Esoterrorists/Trail of Cthulhu/Night's Black Agents are all pretty much compatible and I only have to house rule some things from one of them into the other to get what I want.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grassy gnoll posted:

I would just like to play, period.

On a lighter note, Heart comes out in a week, and I am unreasonably excited.

Heart's the Spire dungeon crawler, right?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ilor posted:

You do not have PMs. :colbert: Hit me with an e-mail address and I'll loop you in.

Yeah sorry I just lost them for reasons. xiahoudunsa@gmail.

I'll probably respond from my real e-mail so expect a long rear end silly kraut name.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Pathfinder 2e better than 1e?

By far. The only things I can think that it's missing are strict compatibility with 3.5 (obviously) and not having as many options because it doesn't have 10 years of development behind it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Night10194 posted:

Heart's the Spire dungeon crawler, right?

That's the one. It's supposed to be a lot more about the world beyond drow intrigue and insurrection.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's a shame the actual Heart stuff is the weakest part of Spire's setting. I'd love a game about playing the gnolls locked in war with the aelfir instead or something.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm thinking about making a new Pokemon TCGO thread since the last one died forever and an age ago. Are there still people interested in the game and/or potentially interested in getting back into it?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

By far. The only things I can think that it's missing are strict compatibility with 3.5 (obviously) and not having as many options because it doesn't have 10 years of development behind it.

you say the first thing and then you say the second thing and it makes me doubt the first thing

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Yawgmoth posted:

Who turns that on? I have literally never heard of a single person using this feature. I just want to click my button/type my expression and get a result so I can get back to playing the game.

My goblin brain needs the klick klack though :(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

My goblin brain needs the klick klack though :(

I feel a little bad cause I also came here to say I turn that off immediately and found it super annoying and didn't realise people actually used that other than like a thing for streams or something. It also doesn't really work well for stuff thats not d&d or stuff you can do with real dice you can do using the visual dice, where you've got like keep X mechanics or if you want to pair roll stuff (e.g. 2 attacks with their damage dice that are colour matching etc).

I feel I could fill a whole book how to roll dice that I assumed literally everyone knew and did but was apparently secret or people didn't like doing it for feels reasons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

you say the first thing and then you say the second thing and it makes me doubt the first thing

Huh? Frankly I think breaking compatibility with 3.5 was a good thing, it allowed them to redo their system from the ground up and make it really great in so many ways. And Pathfinder 2e has an okay amount of options and the supplement treadmill is already rolling.

I bring both of those up because those were notable positives in some people’s opinions for 1e that don’t apply to 2e is all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xarbala posted:

I'll be honest I started following this thread mostly for conversations with hyphz because it's interesting seeing people try to take various non-D&D-based models of roleplaying game, break them down, and communicate their core ideas to someone operating on a completely different set of assumptions.

If Hyphz did not exist, we would be well advised to invent them.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

L5R (at least 4e) has long been the system/setting I've wanted to play with a good group but never been able to find said group for. Every game I've been in with that system has been with GMs who wanted to read us their Rokugan fanfiction and got mad at us for trying to interrupt with dumb things like "player actions", and/or players who were excited to be Named NPC's sword polisher. The most notable of these was the time I cast some spell and my dice went supercritical, and the GM said "no, <bad guy> is too cool to go out like that so he's immune to that spell."

I always found that I mostly just ignore the canon and timeline other than suggestions for interesting times and go off the rails completely when I try to GM things. It's funny to have the players convince the Crane Clan Champion to do something as wacky as holding the prince of Rokugan hostage to force the Scorpion Clan to the bargaining table since its leadership can't admit they lost the kid without looking bad.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Halloween Jack posted:

There are some things about Trail of Cthulhu that seem a little clunky and inelegant, almost for its own sake, like they wanted to emulate that aspect of BRP. Stuff like "The TN to hit you is 3, unless you have Athletics 8+ and then it's 4." And "We put Health and Stability in the skill list, because you spend skill points on them, though they work differently from everything else." But Esoterrorists/Trail of Cthulhu/Night's Black Agents are all pretty much compatible and I only have to house rule some things from one of them into the other to get what I want.

To tie this and the "good one-on-one RPGs" threads together, I'll say that the Gumshoe One-2-One system is fantastic and does away with a lot of this weird cruft. I've only read Night's Black Agents: Solo Ops, but IMO it takes the best bits of Gumshoe (i.e. its philosophy on designing mysteries and dispensing clues in RPGs) and marries it to an actually engaging system for general actions. It's an exponential improvement.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yawgmoth posted:

No, they were all at least 25 and (allegedly) been playing RPGs since high school. And the worst part was that it wasn't even a damaging spell, it was a fear effect! I just happened to roll well enough to produce a Fear 10 effect (i.e. the most powerful fear possible) and he didn't like that his bad guy was gonna flee in terror.

I quit that game right then. That GM was steadily making it clear that he had already written a story and we were there only to provide dialogue for his script and color commentary for his Super Cool NPCs™ and that was just the poo poo cherry on top.

My experience running L5R is that no matter what my plans are, the players will find a way to overturn everything with an even crazier plan than I was expecting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^That's my experience running any game ever.

SunAndSpring posted:

I always found that I mostly just ignore the canon and timeline other than suggestions for interesting times and go off the rails completely when I try to GM things. It's funny to have the players convince the Crane Clan Champion to do something as wacky as holding the prince of Rokugan hostage to force the Scorpion Clan to the bargaining table since its leadership can't admit they lost the kid without looking bad.
See that's how I prefer to both run games and play them, but it seems like the majority of people who play L5R are against the very concept. The first GM I ever had for L5R was really big on the City of Lies module; loved running it, basically only ran it or one other module, and when the players had run through all the content he for one just started over with the other. I made a pretty standard battlefield controller type caster, lots of earth & water spells plus Jade Strike because everyone kept telling me how good it was. The first actual event was something like "a masked guy on a horse kills someone and runs off" and naturally I wanted to stop that, so I cast some spell to drop his speed to 0 (or nearly 0, it's been years); that lead to this conversation:

:science: I want to cast <spell> on his horse so he can't get away.
:nono: You can't.
:science: Why not?
:nono: Because he needs to get away so you can investigate him. If you stop him now the game is basically over.
:science: So your favorite module is totally ruined by a spell that roughly half the shugenja in the world know how to cast?
:nono: Well, you're not supposed to be able to attack him because of all the people nearby.
:science: But I'm not attacking him, I'm just stopping his movement.
:nono: Same difference. Look, if he doesn't get away the game ends here, is that what you want?
:science: If that's the kind of attitude you have, yes.
:nono: Fine! You win, game over. Happy?! [shithead GM has left the channel]

And then I was booted off that particular server because he was apparently their best GM and I made him quit. Oops!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Is the 2018 version of L5R any good? I've read iirc 4e but remember it had a lot of really fucky advancement that encouraged very specific types of weird optimization to avoid wasting tons of xp.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

fool of sound posted:

Is the 2018 version of L5R any good? I've read iirc 4e but remember it had a lot of really fucky advancement that encouraged very specific types of weird optimization to avoid wasting tons of xp.

It is very good*, yes.

* Your opinion may vary in direct proportion to your opinion of Fantasy Flight's love of proprietary custom dice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

fool of sound posted:

You talking about the Insight system?

I've played 4E a lot, and I like it a lot, but also there's a bunch of stuff I've come to dislike over the years. I feel like a 4.5 edition could have been really good. Mostly it's a bunch of schools that are not very good and/or don't fit with their themes, weirdly priced or worded advantages, some stuff like that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think so yeah. You had to spread your points around in fairly specific ways to efficiently increase it, and all your school abilities were keyed off it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

fool of sound posted:

I think so yeah. You had to spread your points around in fairly specific ways to efficiently increase it, and all your school abilities were keyed off it.

Not exactly: Raising your stats and raising your skills would raise your Insight, and at certain numbers you'd go up a Rank and get your new Technique/Spell/Whatever. The only really wonky thing is that you need to keep your stats in balance to gain the Insight points: min-max your stats too hard and you won't get Insight. It really doesn't get more specific than that.

Or are you talking about the new FFG version? I haven't read that one.

It's a pretty interesting system, and I like it better than the straight-up levels on more D&D-influenced games.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've played 4E a lot, and I like it a lot, but also there's a bunch of stuff I've come to dislike over the years. I feel like a 4.5 edition could have been really good. Mostly it's a bunch of schools that are not very good and/or don't fit with their themes, weirdly priced or worded advantages, some stuff like that.
There's a lot of really awful early 90s design baked into the floorboards of the system that if it were me at the helm would be totally gutted. My top 3 changes would probably be:
  • Take Raises after rolling, so you actually get something out of extremely good rolls.
  • Make Insight key off of total xp spent rather than what you bought.
  • Let people spend as much as they want on Advantages, and buy them whenever.

I'd also change the costs of a ton of advantages and make raising skills/attributes a flat cost, but that's more because you shouldn't be debating between a huge bonus to rolls or a cutesy bit of flavor text for 7xp.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

At least in 4e they don't have a CP/XP split so you don't do the usual white wolf thing of people having wildly different xp totals after character creation.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Pazio will be having a pdf sale later this week

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sh5t?Paizo-Update-on-COVID19-from-Lisa-Part-2

If you like really unique settings I cannot recommend Pathfinder Chronicles: City of Strangers strongly enough. My only criticism is that I wish there were more of it.

Eclipse Phase has released a FREE pdf that is essentially a summarized world book for the setting.

Eclipse Phase: A Time of Eclipse

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/126799/Eclipse-Phase-A-Time-of-Eclipse-ePub--Print

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Helical Nightmares posted:

Pazio will be having a pdf sale later this week

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sh5t?Paizo-Update-on-COVID19-from-Lisa-Part-2

If you like really unique settings I cannot recommend Pathfinder Chronicles: City of Strangers strongly enough. My only criticism is that I wish there were more of it.

Eclipse Phase has released a FREE pdf that is essentially a summarized world book for the setting.

Eclipse Phase: A Time of Eclipse

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/126799/Eclipse-Phase-A-Time-of-Eclipse-ePub--Print

Lmao I bit the bullet and bought the Gamemastery Guide and Core Rulebook pdfs literally last night. Such is life.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

fool of sound posted:

You can advance your character any way you want to, and flip off the system. You won't gain school ranks if you totally ignore insight, but in play my players usually forgot what their school ability did anyway, it's fine, don't lose any sleep over it. Or you can rigorously only study things your sensei tells you to to be a good boy, and be trusted with your clan's secrets. Your choice!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can advance your character any way you want to, and flip off the system. You won't gain school ranks if you totally ignore insight, but in play my players usually forgot what their school ability did anyway, it's fine, don't lose any sleep over it. Or you can rigorously only study things your sensei tells you to to be a good boy, and be trusted with your clan's secrets. Your choice!

That seems like stupid and bad design to me. You should want to obtain your cool special abilities, and it shouldn't be onerous to do so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Lmao I bit the bullet and bought the Gamemastery Guide and Core Rulebook pdfs literally last night. Such is life.

Paizo is usually pretty good about this kind of thing, it can’t hurt to email and ask for the discount.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fool of sound posted:

That seems like stupid and bad design to me. You should want to obtain your cool special abilities, and it shouldn't be onerous to do so.
It is stupid and bad design, but "play this game only in the way I would or suffer" is peak John "earn your fun" Wick. You should never be forced to choose between being mechanically functional and mechanically interesting, but man did AEC have a fetish for punishing people who wanted to do anything interesting with their character.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Yawgmoth posted:

[...]

:science: I want to cast <spell> on his horse so he can't get away.
:nono: You can't.
:science: Why not?
:nono: Because he needs to get away so you can investigate him. If you stop him now the game is basically over.
:science: So your favorite module is totally ruined by a spell that roughly half the shugenja in the world know how to cast?
:nono: Well, you're not supposed to be able to attack him because of all the people nearby.
:nono: Same difference. Look, if he doesn't get away the game ends here, is that what you want?
:science: If that's the kind of attitude you have, yes.
:nono: Fine! You win, game over. Happy?! [shithead GM has left the channel]

And then I was booted off that particular server because he was apparently their best GM and I made him quit. Oops!

In January I joined a fledgling group of resurgent oldschool gamers, a friend of mine, the GM, had begged me for years, and time was usually the divider between us. Now I finally had the time, thus I joined. Described as a veteran of the game we were playing, and somone who in the early years played and wrote with the primary authors, I was somewhat anxious to see the qualities of a classic GM. But all was not to be. I was let down. He guffawed, hmphed, uffed, no eloquence or ability of any sort, the plots were nonsensical and weird, the stories without any importance in the greater scheme, the events often without our input.

Why am I saying this? Best GM is a weird thing to describe someone with, but I personally believe that a lot of people play a lot of very bad roleplay who don´t know any better but think its "really good". Just as your guy was. And mine. Which is weird, but human. Still bad roleplay I really could have done without....*sigh*

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Yawgmoth posted:

It is stupid and bad design, but "play this game only in the way I would or suffer" is peak John "earn your fun" Wick. You should never be forced to choose between being mechanically functional and mechanically interesting, but man did AEC have a fetish for punishing people who wanted to do anything interesting with their character.

Seeing John Wick on Facebook doing a victory lap on how owned nerds were because he daringly suggested Star War Rebel Bad Guys and Empire Good Guys in his stupid GM book was, I think, the last straw for me even contemplating tolerating his vicarious presence any more.

That or the time he got into a fight with our local con's Vampire LARP group that was so catastrophic it resulted in a complete restructuring of the convention and an internal memo to never invite him back.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Like, a few times I've had a GM tell the party 'no, guys, the plot is over here' and generally it's been a welcome piece of advice. Like, there was one game I was playing where the party came across an undead infestation and were like "whoa, this is way out of our league, we gotta go back and let our superiors know so they can bring out the big guns" and the GM basically told us "well, you could do that but there'd be no game in it for you if you did".

But that's different to a plot that is dependent on the PCs failing to apprehend an NPC who's on screen and trying to escape them. If you put a lever in your game, have a plan for when the PCs pull on it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Chaosium put out a SRD and an OGL for Basic Roleplaying.

To head off people's IP-related quibbles at the pass: no, Chaosium can't stop you from producing a Call of Cthulhu-alike game based on public domain Mythos stories (which includes, by now, all of Lovecraft), or a Pendragon-alike based on Le Morte d'Arthur. What they can absolutely stop you doing is a) freeriding on their copyright by copy-pasting chunks of the SRD to do that, or b) freeriding on their reputation by using the snazzy new BRP-compatible trademark that abiding by their OGL lets you use (and in fact use of it is a requirement of their OGL). So if you want to do that you can't do it under the BRP OGL, can't use any of the SRD, can't use their compatibility logo, and would likely have issues advertising it as being compatible with BRP or whichever game you were cloning.

Thanks in part to Mongoose putting out MRQ under a SRD, Chaosium can't 100% put the genie back in the bottle, and game mechanics are poorly protected anyway, but I think they have played it smart with this. Tying their OGL to a trademark means that there's a recognisable symbol people can associate with third party content, and closing the door on using it for cloning existing Chaosium game unambiguously signals that the thing's meant to be for people making their own games and settings, not for trying to ride on the coattails of existing settings (and they've gone out of their way to offer options for Call of Cthulhu and Runequest on the latter front so far, and I'm sure they'll do one for Pendragon sooner or later).

Warthur fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 27, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly from what I've heard that new SRD is so limited in nature that it's basically useless, especially when compared to some of the other D100 systems out there

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

fool of sound posted:

They're not very cool.

More specifically, you only get two--one at level one, which improves as you level up, and one at level five, which you're probably not going to get to, honestly. Just take ranks in Subterfuge and prank your rivals, it's more interesting than having a single extra opportunity on your lore checks, or whatever your school skill is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I have a few questions to put to the floor - not sure if there are specific threads I've missed, sorry, pretty new to this dusty side of the forum/internet in general.

Basically I'm wanting to run some roll20 games for my friends, some of whom are more on the normal person side and probably wouldn't be into anything super complex. I've run Paranoia in person a few times now and everyone has a good time, I keep it fairly rules-lite, so something along those lines; a "story" kind of game rather than a crunchy dungeon crawler.

If anyone has any suggestions for a simple system for this, that would be welcome, I'm really just looking for a framework to run a sort of comfy/humorous quarantine game to keep up with my buds and keep them entertained. I know this sounds a bit like I just want to subject them to a specific story I want to tell them or something but that's not the idea, and I know everyone so I know what they're after as well.

I would just use Paranoia to be honest but I feel like it loses too much for not being in person.

Also I'm trying to get my head around roll20 itself and it's... a bit overwhelming/unintuitive. I don't have a clue what I'm doing with macros, find it a bit hard to picture what the players will see/be able to do, and am just a bit confused as to how it all... Works, turn by turn. The wiki isn't great and I'm not sure what assets I need or how to set it all up with them. I'm completely lost as to running combat and making sure it's orderly and turn-based. Just getting a bit of stage fright I guess, I'm picturing trying it and it turning out to be a disaster where I spend the whole time making everyone wait for 15 minutes to look up wikis and fiddle with menus.

I know that's vague but is there any good guide out there for putting together and running baby's first straightforward RPG campaign?