Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Can't wait for gm_construct to become baked into the minds of kids and teachers when GMod VR comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone mentioned losing it in chapter 4, but I'm in chapter 5. Where was I supposed to find the gnome?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Someone mentioned losing it in chapter 4, but I'm in chapter 5. Where was I supposed to find the gnome?

It’s in the same area you get the pistol, apparently.

The worst jumpscare is the Valve logo imo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finished chapter 5. Wow that was a long chapter, lots of 'sub-levels' in there. The fight outside the hotel, once you are done with it was the hardest one for now by far. I tried to crouch in real life but the knees were complaining, in the end I did it by playing sit in my floor, with the legs crossed.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

It’s in the same area you get the pistol, apparently.

The worst jumpscare is the Valve logo imo

Serially, did they have to animate that dude?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm running on the Dell WMR with no issue at all, the only thing I can say is try closing the MR portal and running the WMR for Steam app directly from steam, that worked when I used to have some problems.

Thanks, but that didn't help sadly.

In the meantime while trying to fix it, I thought I broke my headset. I actually wasn't on 1909 it turned out, so I updated it and now almost nothing worked, even stupid poo poo like Epic Roller Coaster. The game and MR portal would just crash any time I tried it.

So I gave up and went to play Doom instead, except it din't work either because it failed to allocate video memory. Which made me realize that to free up space for the 1909 update, I had to delete a ton of stuff and reduce the page file to like 2 gigs :doh: now everything except Alyx works again lol. I now see that it creates a minidump in the game folder but I'm not going to dig into it now, maybe by the time I'm finished with Doom another update will fix it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Kotaku has an article on why there's no crowbar

https://kotaku.com/why-you-cant-use-a-crowbar-in-half-life-alyx-1842491319

Interestingly they did try to implement it for a long time but people kept getting it snagged on things so it was just too frustrating. Also just wanting to differentiate Alyx from Gordon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SCheeseman posted:

The most effective jump scare for me is the time Russel's new drone bursts into the weapon upgrade room at the distillery.

I kinda jumped when the first vortiguant guy pokes his head right through that hole in the door. I was really close to him when he showed up and it startled me.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

SCheeseman posted:

The most effective jump scare for me is the time Russel's new drone bursts into the weapon upgrade room at the distillery.

Yeah this is the only one that got me. Jesus christ

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I dunno the part with the flashlight got me so far.

I kept expecting that wrapped up mother fucker to lunge at me that even after I grabbed the flashlight I kept it on him and got butt hosed from behind by the crabs. Didn’t hear them for whatever reason. I literally screamed like a girl.

Also. The combine that died by getting their legs chomped on, not sure why they couldn’t cut themselves down or how the gently caress they walk into barnacles anyways. Weak rear end bitches. I kept thinking they were gonna grab me too haha.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:hellyeah: continuous turn update
:negative: updating when I want to play now

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The horrible mutations and weird things growing almost seems like they've taken a leaf from The Southern Reach trilogy.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Or did the trilogy steal from xen by way of cronenberg/giger

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

One thing this game makes perfectly is the scale. And I don't refer to 'look a this big thing, it's impressive in VR!' but how things are very accurate in scale. Garbage bins are exactly the correct size, and tables, and rooms, doors, cars, etc. Not all VR games get it totally right.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Just mentioning it because it was a particularly gruesome piece of combine tech for me, but the two people I was playing with managed to miss it. The large combine consoles where you have to align the the wheels to let the laser through: The wheel is filled with a tumor and wire laden rat, the rats upper body and head is still vaguely rat like, and you can see that it is in fact breathing and alive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This game is cronenbergian body horror cranked up to 11

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Just got the flashlight and spent 10 minutes having a heart attack. Loved it.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Communist Bear posted:

The horrible mutations and weird things growing almost seems like they've taken a leaf from The Southern Reach trilogy.

It's a "revenge of nature" kinda deal, so pretty similar to Southern Reach. It's also a re-establishing of the theme of warring fecundities in Half-Life 2 and its episodes. Humans are going extinct because they cannot breed, while the Combine is pumping out new lifeforms with humans and Synths. Xen biomes, along with its creatures, are growing like cancer, eating space from both.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This game is cronenbergian body horror cranked up to 11

Ehh. Cronenberg's thing with body horror is more about the breakdown of the mind-body border and how a tool is an extension of the body, similar to Tetsuo the Iron Man. A gun melds into a person's hand, becoming a part of it, because by the nature of holding a gun, it and its actions become an extension of the hand.

Cronenberg handles body horror and technology in the sense of (symbolic?) castration; if you drive a car, you can travel incredibly fast, but can no longer walk or jump. If you wield a gun, you can shoot someone but lose all other function while you hold it. There is also commentary on the change of perception of one's self, both by others and the subject themselves: wielding a gun fundamentally changes how you are seen by others, how you see others and how you see yourself. It's commentary on the interrelations between man and technology, which Videodrome is all about.

There is some Cronenberg in HLA though: the alien larva being squished for the health stations is a notion of literally putting something "alien" in your body to heal yourself, aka, most forms of modern healthcare.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 26, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not sure what's worse. Surprise firefight -or- oh my, lots of ammo... o wai!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, "Sweet! An automatic weapon and more ammo than I've seen in the game so far! Finally a break from all the suspense...."

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Turin Turambar posted:

There is some talk on Internet about if the 43K CCU peak for Half Life Alyx is good (much higher than any other VR game!) or bad (it's low for a HL game!).

There are some factors to consider, like HalfLife being a series that has been too much time outside the limelight, the new generations haven't played it (13 years since the last game!). And hell, it's a linear SP game, not the hottest style of game right now. It's 2020, if you aren't a GAAS MP game, it's hard to enter in the top 25 games most played, and Valve well know that, it's the reason Portal 2 was their last single player game, they know online is what makes money.

Still, I was thinking today how perhaps the most important point right now it's how people cannot impulse-buy it. With other games, once people see a title on the top selling list, or read some great impressions on a forum, or watch it in a stream, or read a review in IGN or Gamespot, they can say 'hell yes, let's buy this poo poo'. HL Alyx is having all that, very good reviews, great impressions, being on the frontpage of Steam... but IF THERE IS NO VR HEADSETS TO BUY, THEY CAN'T IMPULSE BUY IT. So, I think the limited numbers of Rift S, Quest and Index headsets will be a limiting factor in how many copies it can sell (beyond the fact buying a headset + game is expensive).

The whole point of a VR half-life title is to push VR sales. You're not going to get VR sales overnight. That'll take at least a few months.

I honestly think this was too risky, but it's a loss valve can eat. The worst part might be they lose enthusiasm, again, for the half-life franchise and we will continue to never see a half-life 3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Daedalus1134 posted:

Just mentioning it because it was a particularly gruesome piece of combine tech for me, but the two people I was playing with managed to miss it. The large combine consoles where you have to align the the wheels to let the laser through: The wheel is filled with a tumor and wire laden rat, the rats upper body and head is still vaguely rat like, and you can see that it is in fact breathing and alive.

I noticed that too, man that's hosed up.

Also, I'm surprised they don't use that puzzle more often but they do the other ones to death. Honestly, did we really need to play those hacking minigames for every Combine upgrader or storage unit? I'm getting tired of doing them so frequently.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I honestly think this was too risky, but it's a loss valve can eat. The worst part might be they lose enthusiasm, again, for the half-life franchise and we will continue to never see a half-life 3.
Response from press and people who have played it is universally positive, everything negative is from those who haven't. That was always going to happen and it's something they're used to, people bitched about Steam being a requirement for HL2 and I'm sure the original Half Life being PC exclusive wasn't taken well by envious PlayStation gamers.

They should take a shot at a PSVR port. Even if it ends up being a bit wonky thanks to PSMoves being poo poo it's still a way to get the game to a broader audience and the game seems to scale to lower spec hardware pretty dang well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Daedalus1134 posted:

yeah that poo poo is hosed

that along with the health stations squishing the little baby grubs makes it feel like Valve is not remotely afraid to be a bit more mature in tone

I guess episode 1 had some pretty gruesome poo poo too

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Here is an article talking to Robin Walker and others about why there isn't melee combat - specifically a crowbar - in HL Alyx: https://kotaku.com/why-you-cant-use-a-crowbar-in-half-life-alyx-1842491319

A few quotes from Robin:

“The lack of force feedback meant that players would often hold their crowbar out of their sight, because that’s what you do when you’re holding a real crowbar—you wouldn’t look at it all the time,” said Walker. “But then they’d hook it on stuff. They’d be walking along, and then they’d hook it on a door. So for us, it was like ‘What do we do now?’ We tried various things like the end of the crowbar turns it physics off, or stops colliding [with objects] when it’s off screen. In real life, you would feel your arm getting tugged as you hooked the curve of the crowbar on something, but we have no feedback like that in VR. We could buzz your hand with haptics, but we found that’s never foolproof. Some players just don’t notice it enough.”

“It didn’t matter how much we told them, like, literally at the start of the game, that they aren’t Gordon,” said Walker. “We would finish playtests and ask players, ‘So tell us what’s happened so far. Tell us everything you learned about the state of the world and what the story’s about.’ And the players would think they’re Gordon.”

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Kotaku has an article on why there's no crowbar

https://kotaku.com/why-you-cant-use-a-crowbar-in-half-life-alyx-1842491319

Interestingly they did try to implement it for a long time but people kept getting it snagged on things so it was just too frustrating. Also just wanting to differentiate Alyx from Gordon.

jubjub64 posted:

Here is an article talking to Robin Walker

Ahem :|

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
What valve, nailed was how the guns feel. They feel exactly like how they felt in HL1 and HL2, translated into VR. Its immersive at the same time, realistic yet not grounded in our reality.

Does that even make any sense?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Daedalus1134 posted:

If you look closely, the tumor is growing human teeth :barf:

no_recall posted:

What valve, nailed was how the guns feel. They feel exactly like how they felt in HL1 and HL2, translated into VR. Its immersive at the same time, realistic yet not grounded in our reality.

Does that even make any sense?

All I know is the shotgun looks, sounds and feels like it hits like a ton of bricks. Just like a real shotgun does and it owns.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah the shotgun is satisfying as gently caress and I absolutely love the laser sight attachment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jubjub64 posted:

Yeah, "Sweet! An automatic weapon and more ammo than I've seen in the game so far! Finally a break from all the suspense...."

I did the same thing. "Wow, so much ammo" I ended up with less than I started with at the end.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jubjub64 posted:

“It didn’t matter how much we told them, like, literally at the start of the game, that they aren’t Gordon,” said Walker. “We would finish playtests and ask players, ‘So tell us what’s happened so far. Tell us everything you learned about the state of the world and what the story’s about.’ And the players would think they’re Gordon.”

I feel like this could be solved by not being a pair of floating hands

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
I need some help with chapter 7(?). Haven’t read anything in this thread to avoid spoilers, and aren’t sure if talking about him is allowed

Is there any way to keep Jeff alive at the end of the distillery? The lock timing seems really tight, even with him distracted in the trash compactor.

unless I could get him back inside the building somehow? hmm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Goddamn this game looks good, even if it wasn't a VR game. The faces in particular are animated so drat well.

End of Shoelace posted:

Ehh. Cronenberg's thing with body horror is more about the breakdown of the mind-body border and how a tool is an extension of the body, similar to Tetsuo the Iron Man. A gun melds into a person's hand, becoming a part of it, because by the nature of holding a gun, it and its actions become an extension of the hand.

Cronenberg handles body horror and technology in the sense of (symbolic?) castration; if you drive a car, you can travel incredibly fast, but can no longer walk or jump. If you wield a gun, you can shoot someone but lose all other function while you hold it. There is also commentary on the change of perception of one's self, both by others and the subject themselves: wielding a gun fundamentally changes how you are seen by others, how you see others and how you see yourself. It's commentary on the interrelations between man and technology, which Videodrome is all about.

There is some Cronenberg in HLA though: the alien larva being squished for the health stations is a notion of literally putting something "alien" in your body to heal yourself, aka, most forms of modern healthcare.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Just beat it, had two truly awesome memorable moments:

When hiding from jeff I grabbed a bottle to distract him but bumped another bottle. I freaked out but managed to catch it mid air before it hit the ground. Had my heart racing but the coolest thing was how natural it felt

and
The very end, when Eli is pissed Gman took Alyx and is handing me my crowbar, I looked over to my left and GMAN is just watching us and then walks away, and I grabbed the crowbar kinda off-screen like, it felt like a real life movie I was in. .

Christ the last mission and ending were good

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
found out the solution, nvm. Some other day you majestic meat man

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cross-post:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how the "we'll gently caress her" is perfectly framed in the second monitor.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Man this game is fantastic. Just finished.

:discourse:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I also finished it tonight, and it was great. However, I'm calling bullshit on the reported length. It only took me twelve hours, and I felt like I took my time and explored (and got stuck a few times on stupid things).

BTW I'm not complaining about the length, it's an AMAZING twelve hours. Just saying don't expect 15 hours.

Also, I was sick with the 'rona for my entire playtime which makes me unable to stand for longer than 10 minutes, so I did the whole thing sitting. First time I've ever done that for a VR game, I can't wait to get better and play it again standing up. I feel like it will be much less awkward. Changing between crouch/prone/stand via button is not nearly as good as just doing the movements for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Not sure what your point is here, but this is not Cronenbergian in the sense of commentary on humans and technology. I'm pretty sure he's never made an issue of living in a house.

This is vorephobic imagery (being digested by the building) mixed with found footage visuals, specifically the urban exploration type. The fundamental fear is that of disappearance outside of the grid, as pretty much all found footage horror has the premise of being recovered after all the originators of it have died somewhere outside of safe civilization. Here, the dilapitation of a habitat extends to its habitants, merging with the idea of one being consumed by a malignant area, never to be found again.

An easy "translation" of this image is finding a malnourished crackhead or a corpse in the darkness of an abandoned urban building. The fear is of becoming one, consumed, by the habitat: killed by a drug addict, falling into an unseen pit full of exposed rebar etc.

I'm reminded of the movie Borderlands, where an exploration of a haunted church gradually transforms into exploration of the guts of a church-sized living being.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 26, 2020