Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'd take it now. There's a good chance that once the infection rate really takes off your workplace will be closed either voluntarily or involuntarily.

This.

You're also not well. Having chest pain because of stress is not normal.

What happens to your colleagues is on them not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

Guys, I've got a difficult decision to make today about going back to work. There's an offer of up to two weeks paid leave if you feel like you're not adequately protected. While they've moved all desks two feet apart, it's still a building of 2000 people in a call centre environment, and I don't think the work we do (mortgage advice) is right now essential for the running of the country. While I'd feel bad about leaving my colleagues out there, I'm getting chest pains from the stress. I could take the two weeks leave now, but I'm worried that things will be even more hosed in two weeks at the end of it than they are now in terms of change of infection, so is it better to work and take the sick weeks later? I don't know, what would people do?

Take the paid leave and use it to see your GP about the chest pains.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
As if it wasn't hard enough for medical staff. Apparently they are being advised to travel to and from work in normal clothing because some are getting mugged for their nhs id's and others are being abused by people saying they are "spreading the virus".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Pretty sure that hasn't happened and the police have confirmed it and it's just the daily mail etc blowing it up

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Weasling Weasel posted:

Guys, I've got a difficult decision to make today about going back to work. There's an offer of up to two weeks paid leave if you feel like you're not adequately protected. While they've moved all desks two feet apart, it's still a building of 2000 people in a call centre environment, and I don't think the work we do (mortgage advice) is right now essential for the running of the country. While I'd feel bad about leaving my colleagues out there, I'm getting chest pains from the stress. I could take the two weeks leave now, but I'm worried that things will be even more hosed in two weeks at the end of it than they are now in terms of change of infection, so is it better to work and take the sick weeks later? I don't know, what would people do?

Take it and run. If you become symptomatic today and progressed to severe illness, it would happen about the same time as the peak in cases is expected, two weeks from now. If you hide out for the next two weeks and all you manage to do is defer catching coronavirus by that amount of time, that will improve your chances of getting good care and reduce the burden on the NHS.

On another note, gently caress James Dyson for headline chasing. What matters is ventilators manufactured, not ventilators redesigned.
10,000 orders for a non-existent product from a man who took a decade to reinvent the hoover.
The tediously predictable next headline will be "NHS refuses life-saving Dyson ventilators" and a load of moaning about overbearing safety tests crushing innovation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043767

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

As if it wasn't hard enough for medical staff. Apparently they are being advised to travel to and from work in normal clothing because some are getting mugged for their nhs id's and others are being abused by people saying they are "spreading the virus".

Reading through anything related to this it sounds like 2 doctors actually got mugged for their phones near UCH, and the story has mutated from there to hospitals issuing warning emails to staff based on things they're "heard", then the papers reporting it as true because the hospitals sent warning emails. I really don't think it actually is true.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Endjinneer posted:

The tediously predictable next headline will be "NHS refuses life-saving Dyson ventilators" and a load of moaning about overbearing safety tests crushing innovation.

Followed by Dyson calling the NHS a "pedo guy", presumably.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1242743618986745861?s=19

An endless cycle of lockdowns would suuuck and definitely something that I think a lot of people aren't thinking about. Most people just expect 6 weeks of it and then it's over but I don't think it'll be that simple.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Surely if clinical staff are commuting in their work clothing they *are* spreading the virus?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Algol Star posted:

There is no evidence that ibuprofen does anything negative in SARS-2 infection. This has come from the mainstream media reporting things that they're not used to and noise getting jumped on and amplified without proper analysis or caution. What's probably happened is people have seen that steroids are harmful (which may be true), extrapolated this to NSAIDs (which is inappropriate) and then had confirmatory cases of young people taking them before 'suddenly deteriorating' (which is what you expect from what we know about the disease anyway). These case reports are utterly meaningless, shouldn't have raised any concern and definitely shouldn't have been widely reported as 'ibuprofen worsens covid'.

NSAIDs have many harmful effects in critical illness and long term use, especially in people with cardiovascular risk factors and in sepsis, which are well known and widely publicised medically, but less publicised by the mainstream media, they are also known to have the potential to worsen asthma. The evidence for them being specifically bad in respiratory infection is generally of poor quality with many papers that are poorly designed and over-reach in their conclusions from what I have seen. The general consensus has been 'caution' which means they may do something but there's not actually any good evidence. Like I said though, they're well known to generally have harmful effects in chronic use and critical illness so they're already advised against in the UK and most hospitals' medical wards will avoid them if possible, mainly for the effect on kidneys. It's also important to realise they're not all the same drug and the effects are different, generally ibuprofen is the most benign compared to say diclofenac which actually ended up with a warning against use in certain groups.
the original statement from the french health minister was explicitly about anti-inflammatories. there isn't strong evidence for it, no, but there is a consensus to not take them until we find out more information: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/...n-or-cortisone/

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Latest podepisode is out for your isolationcubes! Stay a while, and listen!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1243097531455811585?s=20

It's a good one and probably with the very best cold open we've ever done, and I think you will all get a kick out of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

On another note, gently caress James Dyson for headline chasing. What matters is ventilators manufactured, not ventilators redesigned.
10,000 orders for a non-existent product from a man who took a decade to reinvent the hoover.

He's not designed or redesigned poo poo, the guts of the machine are a generic ventilator and all Dyson are doing is manufacturing them at their prototyping/research facility. Any engineering firm in the country could do it, weird how the contract goes to the extremely loud Brexiteer Tory donor, innit?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

Pretty sure that hasn't happened and the police have confirmed it and it's just the daily mail etc blowing it up

Nah, it is happening, but as usual it's a couple of incidents here and there and the reporting makes it seem like it must be part of a trend (it's not) and there's a glut of other cases you're not hearing about (there aren't)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Supaflywallace posted:

Is there any books or documentaries you'd recommend about that stuff? Threads has had a hold on me lately

Completely USA-centric but I'd highly recommend the book Command and Control for some absolutely wild stories about their nuclear arsenal

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Completely USA-centric but I'd highly recommend the book Command and Control for some absolutely wild stories about their nuclear arsenal

Oh god yeah that's a great book but I also hid under the bed while reading it :ohdear:

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Algol Star posted:

Take the paid leave and use it to see your GP about the chest pains.
At advice of my manager, I called 111 but they couldn't do anything about it as I didn't have the constant cough or fever, and was sent to speak to GP. I did so, and she told me that I should self-isolate for another week, so I've told my manager and I'm hoping that's good enough to keep my out of the hotseat for another week, and hope that these symptoms disappear. Paracetamol seems to do a good job, the chest pain is mostly when I'm seriously congested.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The excellent and dangerously-addictive Subterranea Brittanica has a lot of good articles on the Royal Observer Corps who would have sat in little concrete boxes counting bombs going off, civil defence and Regional Seats of Government, who would have sat in little concrete boxes putting the bombs on maps and then moving nonexistent help around.

There was also the Navy equivalent, the Royal Naval Auxiliary Service (abbreviated RNXS to avoid confusion with Royal Naval Air Stations, and not to be confused with either the Royal Fleet Auxiliary or the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service...). They didn't sit in concrete boxes counting bombs. Their supposed role was to evacuate ports and control merchant shipping in the event of a capital-E-mergency. The RNXS would work mostly ashore in communication and administration, implementing a pre-set plan to disperse ships from the major ports to designated emergency anchorages around the coast, while also arranging for the most valuable British-flagged merchant ships (big and/or fast stuff like liners, oil and gas tankers, fast container ships, reefers and so on) would be given orders and clearance to Get The gently caress Away and go and hide somewhere in an un-nuked part of the Commonwealth south of the equator. Once that was done, they would operate the anchorages, supposedly organising and overseeing the formation of convoys for out-going shipping and receiving and dispersing incoming convoys. For this purpose the RNXS maintained its own fleet of inshore vessels - mosly old minesweepers, harbour launches and supply tenders. In the late 1980s it got a batch of P2000-type inshore patrol craft as now used by the RN - the ex-RNXS ones still have their original names starting with 'Ex-'

Notice the problem here? How much warning of a nuclear strike do you think you'd need to deploy the RNXS, clear all the UK's major ports and get the ships 'safely' anchored in their designated bays, estuaries and lochs? Probably a lot more than the four minute civil warning. So you'd have to either rely on their being a general ramp-up in political and militarty tension, at which point the RNXS would swing into action which would itself be a blindingly obvious 'the UK is ramping up for a nuclear strike!' indicator to any hostile power observing the situation, or in reality all your merchant shipping gets destroyed or irradiated in the initial strike which would include the major ports. And, of the second phase, how much merchant shipping would be going in and out of a UK that had just been on the receiving end of a nuclear strike?

I've heard more than one speculation that the RNXS was actually pointless and it existed mainly to give the RN a slice of the Civil Defence pie and provide an answer to the question "well what would the Navy do if the Russians nuked us?" that seemed convincing if you didn't probe too closely. Or that it existed mostly as a training/PR/outreach programme. Or that it was really to provide a pool of semi-trained personnel to replace RN and RNR members who were either deployed elsewhere or were casualities. Or that its actual intended purpose was somewhat darker, ranging from operating improvised beach-head harbours to keep some supplies coming in because all the ports had been destroyed to collecting the dead bodies and dumping them in the sea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remarkable article about the trial of Alex Salmond with a killer twist at the end.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's not designed or redesigned poo poo, the guts of the machine are a generic ventilator and all Dyson are doing is manufacturing them at their prototyping/research facility. Any engineering firm in the country could do it, weird how the contract goes to the extremely loud Brexiteer Tory donor, innit?

Actually, I think you'll find that "Dyson has had hundreds of engineers working round the clock to design the ventilators from scratch."

Which sounds great, a rush job new design for a life critical piece of equipment. They really emphasise in that article that these things are being "designed and built from scratch" and I'm not sure how that's meant to be a positive even if it were true.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

quote:

Salmond is driven by a core insecurity which is compensated for by a determination to defeat all comers. Why’s he insecure? I’m a writer, not a shrink

I feel like the writer should have applied their own advice before writing the first line.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that "Dyson has had hundreds of engineers working round the clock to design the ventilators from scratch."

Which sounds great, a rush job new design for a life critical piece of equipment. They really emphasise in that article that these things are being "designed and built from scratch" and I'm not sure how that's meant to be a positive even if it were true.

They're going to disrupt assisted breathing.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the original statement from the french health minister was explicitly about anti-inflammatories. there isn't strong evidence for it, no, but there is a consensus to not take them until we find out more information: https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/...n-or-cortisone/

The French health minister conflated steroids and NSAIDs. There isn't any evidence for it and the only reason there isn't larger push back against it is because they aren't of any significant benefit anyway and we're already used to avoiding them in significant illness. Hopefully no-one in the UK is using steroids to treat a fever.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm worried about the self employed thing. They said they're going to gently caress you if you claim while working but what happens if our income has been inredibly hosed? I was considering working a few hours on the weekend to try and cover rent but it sounds like that might disqualify me for claiming any money even if i'd be earning like 1/4th of my usual pay.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ooooft. That's a good twist

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Regarding poo poo nuclear war jobs, the previous role of some (now old) Army colleagues was stay-behind observation posts. MEXE hides - pretty flimsy underground shelters for 4-6 guys to get in - were dug in to Western Germany near the border. The plan was to stay there after the 6th Shock Army rolled through and direct artillery / provide surveillance reports back to HQ. After a while the guys would have to go into escape and evasion and make their ways back to the UK, or, more likely, immediately get shot / run over by a tank / incinerated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Ooooft. That's a good twist

I'm presuming the twist is the author? Yeah, I don't think that guy needs a degree in psychology to understand that Salmond has a serious case of "small man" syndrome and that he can't stand anyone disagreeing with him.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

I'm worried about the self employed thing. They said they're going to gently caress you if you claim while working but what happens if our income has been inredibly hosed? I was considering working a few hours on the weekend to try and cover rent but it sounds like that might disqualify me for claiming any money even if i'd be earning like 1/4th of my usual pay.

I'm in the same boat as you, so you have my sympathies. I'm increasingly worried that I've unintentionally hosed myself by bad timing. I was freelancing from March 2017, and that slowly dried up at the tail end of last year. It still wasn't bringing in enough so I went and got a proper job which started at the beginning of March. That was in events management so got shafted by the pandemic and I was laid off last Wednesday (before the govt had announced its 80% salary support for employees). I was lucky enough to virtually walk straight into another job, albeit a zero-hours gig in a vegetable-packing factory (which, incidentally, is sheer hell and I can feel the burning desire for angry capitalism-destroying revolution growing within me with every single soul-crushing minute...) so I am still in employment but now with no standard salary. If I jack in this job, I'm probably not entitled to anything because I voluntarily quit. I'm not eligible for UC because my partner makes over the paltry lower limit set by the DWP on the assumption that I can just sponge off her (gotta discourage scroungers though - make them scrounge off someone else's bank account rather than the government funds they should be entitled to....grrr). I emailed my former employer (the events-related role) to say "hey, anything you can fudge to keep me on the books until this income support/furlough thing gets sorted out?" and I got a vaguely positive but entirely non-commital reply that they were looking into the scheme and would have a chat with HR.

So I've been eking a living doing freelance for three years. I burnt through most of my cash reserves in the lean period at the end of last year. I entered regular employment at the instance the crisis began and was made redundant two weeks later with no accrued pay or benefits but I'm now on the PAYE/NIC system, as I am for this factory gig, so who knows if I count as 'self-employed' now? So I think I'm screwed without a job. Fortunately there are plenty of temp ones at supermarkets as pickers/drivers going here at the moment but I'm very uneasy about the whole situation.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely if clinical staff are commuting in their work clothing they *are* spreading the virus?

Can't speak for all hospitals but my partner has to change before work. They don't have lockers to cover even half the staff.

She's actually back today after self isolating for ages due to a cold. Not been tested, none available.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 26, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My council is taking advantage of the quiet roads and repainting all the lines, lol

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
"Alex Bell was head of policy and speechwriter for Alex Salmond. He appeared as a defence witness in Mr Salmond’s trial."

Yikes

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

hemale in pain posted:

If only there was a way to give everyone enough money to live on, so as to sort out all the many ways that people's situations are weird/complicated/unique!

Sorry, not helpful, it just makes me angry that even now, they're carrying on with conservatism rule 1: "somewhere, somebody might be getting away with something!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone, somewhere, might be getting away with something without going to the right school.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lo, it is the non poo poo Polly Toynbee article appearing like a hairy star in the heavens (even if it does praise Brown's Reaganomics).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shops almost back to normal today. Full stock of toilet roll and a good amount of pasta.

Bobstar posted:

Sorry, not helpful, it just makes me angry that even now, they're carrying on with conservatism rule 1: "somewhere, somebody might be getting away with something!"
My partner's boss sent her a message this morning along the lines of "we should check on Dan, I'm concerned he doesn't have any work to do". There's no specific work that isn't getting done, but he just has a fear that he might be paying somebody who isn't grinding for it

TACD fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 26, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The other thing I'm not seeing mentioned is that if you have a partner who works more than 16 hours a week, you don't get poo poo. Even if they work 16 hours at minimum wage and can't even remotely afford the mortgage and bills, (let alone food), you get the good old government shrug.

Do you have a source for this ?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/smyth_chris/status/1243124394106462208?s=21

Hmm.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Well I guess this explains why the big drop-off in deaths yesterday, they've changed the way they're being reported (apparantly they now need family consent to report an anonymised, aggregated deaths number *cough*bollocks*cough*):
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1243104190202818561

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My sore throat's not getting any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd like to see the court case where someone successfully argues that the death count would have been one fewer than it was had the department of health asked them their consent first.