Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Lo, it is the non poo poo Polly Toynbee article appearing like a hairy star in the heavens (even if it does praise Brown's Reaganomics).

It's loving poo poo because Toynbee is the perfect example of a middle-aged, middle-class person who laments the plight of the poor and disenfranchised but then maddeningly refuses to support the actual solutions to those problems.

223, the number of times a nurse currently vomited on without protection each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is a Bluetit again, but look at the BLUE STEEL pose this fucker is breaking out:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Regarding all the old Defence Establishments, I grew up within walking distance of HMS Wildfire and explored a lot of it as a youngster. There was a separate entrance from the main one at the Gatehouse and the one Subbrit used, we unbricked the window and could climb right in. This was only a year or 2 after Chatham Dockyard had closed and there were still patrols of the area by Military Police.

(https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/hms-wildfire/)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is a Bluetit again, but look at the BLUE STEEL pose this fucker is breaking out:

Please keep doing these. Reminds me of another forum I used to visit where somebody turned up in random threads to post a crab fact of the day. They were his only posts. Learned a tonne about crabs (at the time).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's loving poo poo because Toynbee is the perfect example of a middle-aged, middle-class person who laments the plight of the poor and disenfranchised but then maddeningly refuses to support the actual solutions to those problems.
It's Galaxy O'Brain all over again, because you can't read it without screaming "should have supported Labour then" over and over in your head.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'd like to see the court case where someone successfully argues that the death count would have been one fewer than it was had the department of health asked them their consent first.
I do not consent to this death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That reminds me of the fun RN habit of commissioning buildings and/or geography as ships.

Guavanaut posted:

It's Galaxy O'Brain all over again, because you can't read it without screaming "should have supported Labour then" over and over in your head.

It makes a lot more sense if you believe that the thing she really wants is to continue writing articles about it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Please keep doing these. Reminds me of another forum I used to visit where somebody turned up in random threads to post a crab fact of the day. They were his only posts. Learned a tonne about crabs (at the time).

Will do, but I'm beginning to run out of birds. There's a few sneaky ones that are too quick at the feeders still and I've yet to get a Robin I'm happy with, but as long as people don't mind photos of the same species I'll keep it up.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

StarkingBarfish posted:

Will do, but I'm beginning to run out of birds. There's a few sneaky ones that are too quick at the feeders still and I've yet to get a Robin I'm happy with, but as long as people don't mind photos of the same species I'll keep it up.

I really like birb-posting and am very ok with seeing the same species pop up :love:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My dad was in the RAF during the height of the fear of nuclear war. He told me how he was part of training where everyone was issued a hazmat suit and taught how to seal it up against fallout. Some idiot lowered the mood by asking "what about my family?"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

My partner's boss sent her a message this morning along the lines of "we should check on Dan, I'm concerned he doesn't have any work to do". There's no specific work that isn't getting done, but he just has a fear that he might be paying somebody who isn't grinding for it

My very own boss, who is a neurotic micro-manager who only cares about the projects (and whose principle concern about the virus has been "but the project!!") is also concerned that people won't have enough to do while working from home. (We're a non-profit so there's not even any money involved, it's just her trying to meet Her Objectives)

Fortunately I have years of experience in being a lazy fucker and I know exactly what to say and do to achieve maximum slacking while making it look like I'm super busy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Don't you dare stop! A bit of nature and lighthearted-ness is exactly what is needed!

Seriously - thank you, love them. Great pictures.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol they are bringing back the income support benefit for the self employed, which is basically also the first step towards killing UC.

If anyone is wondering where I’m at it’s “food vouchers from a special needs school” so that would be the undisputed moral high ground in internet argument with old people then.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
During the cold war an APC started driving around the houses on camp. It was blasting, "all personnel to their stations, this is not a drill" through its bull horns. Dad thought this was the moment he'd been training for. He said goodbye to mum and headed to work.

Turns out a plane had rained down from the sky over the village of Lockerbie, a few miles North of the base. He avoided being called out to the cleanup but was called in to cover for those who were sent out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52044374

Genuinely surprised to see the BBC even questioning this. I thought it was only the Labour policies which needed to be costed. Bridge to Ireland? gently caress it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bridge to ireland now needs to be a drawbridge. Gonna need another trillion pounds to draw up the plans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Red Oktober posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52044374

Genuinely surprised to see the BBC even questioning this. I thought it was only the Labour policies which needed to be costed. Bridge to Ireland? gently caress it!

The BBC are more Tory than Tories.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

I do not consent to this death.

My plan is to go full Freeman on the Land to the grim reaper until he gives up out of frustration with my bullshit and just lets me live

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm guessing the Tories want people to be asking where the money is coming from so that we don't grow accustomed to this level of charity. Got to make sure everyone knows the tap is being turned off ASAP

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

Peter Coffin is a very strange individual.

He had a whole thing where he made some lovely comments about a female Asian blogger on twitter, got called out for it, and invented a Japanese girlfriend for himself to prove he wasn't racist against Asians, including making a twitter account for her and defending him, and further slagging off the Asian blogger.

He got found out and was one of the first people to be "cancelled" on the internet.

Also there's this:

https://twitter.com/AnAnimeGiraffe/status/1242934855291359232?s=20

That's weird and bad, and it sounds like he was a douche back then, but he seems pretty good on stuff these days? He does some decent videos where he analyses whatever through a marxist lens, to help people reframe stuff that's going on as a product of the system we live in, and his politics and attitudes while he does that are pretty Correct. I dunno if he's still on some bullshit on social media though

That dick kicking video is legit though. Strike and seize the means of production. What the heck

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

With the nursery closed I need some correct children's TV to watch with the minicakes. So far hey duggee and Pablo seem acceptable.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Algol Star posted:

There is no evidence that ibuprofen does anything negative in SARS-2 infection.

The evidence for them being specifically bad in respiratory infection is generally of poor quality with many papers that are poorly designed and over-reach in their conclusions from what I have seen.

Which of these two contradictory sentences do you consider to be true? ‘No evidence’ really should mean no evidence, not ‘in my expert professional judgement, the available evidence does not meet the required standards of proof’.

For example, there is no evidence that humans cannot breathe unaided on the far side of the Moon. And any proposals for a rigorous clinical trials would fail on both funding and ethical grounds. But I wouldn’t recommend making plans on that basis.

The mainstream professional judgement of French and German doctors is and always has been that you should not take Nurofen or equivalents for flu-like illnesses. Fever is the immune system’s response to infection; a drug to suppress that response is, to them, not something that should ever be administered without specific medical advice.

Other medical systems have different default views, which is why the WHO has been giving conflicting advice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

My plan is to go full Freeman on the Land to the grim reaper until he gives up out of frustration with my bullshit and just lets me live

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CancerCakes posted:

With the nursery closed I need some correct children's TV to watch with the minicakes. So far hey duggee and Pablo seem acceptable.

What age? Duggee is god tier kids TV, all else pales in comparison, but Go Jetters, Bitz and Bob, Octonauts etc are all fine. Ben and Holly is a vastly superior Pegga Pig.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

radmonger posted:

Which of these two contradictory sentences do you consider to be true? ‘No evidence’ really should mean no evidence, not ‘in my expert professional judgement, the available evidence does not meet the required standards of proof’.

Everyone needs to be careful interpreting data at the moment, particularly if you're not an expert. There's a difference between recommending paracetamol over NSAIDs for fever in respiratory infection, and cautioning against NSAIDs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WHO/status/1240409217997189128

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CancerCakes posted:

Bluey is great

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lungboy posted:

What age? Duggee is god tier kids TV, all else pales in comparison, but Go Jetters, Bitz and Bob, Octonauts etc are all fine. Ben and Holly is a vastly superior Pegga Pig.

Is Rastamouse still on? That was pretty Correct. Make a bad ting good and that

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/WonTheBall/status/1243115105237241856?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

Comrade, there are hours of Soviet children's cartoons on YouTube that will instil Correct Thinking in your young ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWffqNHnOms

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone seen what the supermarket stock levels are? I was hoping to wait out the wave of panic buying but I'm getting a bit low on some things so will have to venture to the shops soon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

These NHS texts are bordering on spam now. Just got one telling me to make sure I move my fat lazy arse once in a while when isolating.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

CancerCakes posted:

Adorable stop motion kittens, Mio Mao - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzDYp1KOlOqCY9oW5DP1SIQ

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone seen what the supermarket stock levels are? I was hoping to wait out the wave of panic buying but I'm getting a bit low on some things so will have to venture to the shops soon.

Cardiff here - I work in a Co-Op - we're still getting deliveries daily, bread, milk etc. They sell out, but are generally in stock until 4-5pm.
The stuff we don't normally get regularly (tinned toms, pasta etc) has been emptied and not replaced yet, and eggs go the day they come in (we don't get eggs every day).
Still got beer / wine though, which is more than can be said for the big supermarkets I went out to over the weekend.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lungboy posted:

Sarah and Duck
Puffin Rock

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Lungboy posted:

Pegga Pig

disgraced former prime minister david cameron!?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problems are bad but their causes...their causes are very good

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Lungboy posted:

Duggee is god tier kids TV.

A million times this. I've been dying to show off my - cough - sorry, my SON's clubhoise project.

I also love Sarah and duck for some surrealist scarf action. Go Jetters is educational and inoffensive. Bing has great morals and parenting on show but I would rather be stabbed in both eyes.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 26, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol nice work galaxy brain james dyson

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1243141945926582273

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
looks like someone's copying Modi

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1243078157995061249

on the one hand, I genuinely appreciate all the people out there doing stuff, on the other hand, what they actually need is ppe and tests and this sounds incredibly cringe

I'm still a little surprised I haven't seen any UK balcony singing videos, but I suspect that's some combination of us generally not having as many balconies, not having a proper lockdown, and not having much of a mass singing tradition beyond football and maybe Christmas carols?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure how you're supposed to clap without anything to clap at, and I really don't think any NHS staff are gonna go out and get clapped at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Zalakwe posted:

A million times this. I've been dying to show off my - cough - sorry, my SON's clubhoise project.

Mighty suspicious cough you have there...