Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I last went for a proper shop on the 10th when I went to the 24 hour Tesco after midnight so as to limit my exposure to other people as much as possible. Did the same last night and the place was shut.

Probably for the best, I touched my face so many times while I was out but since I never touched anything else hopefully it's okay. Might try just going to the co-op around the corner really early tomorrow, that journey's short enough I can contain my desperate need to touch my face for at least a few minutes.

edit: cat tax

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
if this happens it's going to be half a second of clapping drowned out by one million dogs barking

e: which sounds like a pretty cool way to be thanked but maybe not if you're scared of dogs or just hateful I guess

Shyrka posted:

I last went for a proper shop on the 10th when I went to the 24 hour Tesco after midnight so as to limit my exposure to other people as much as possible. Did the same last night and the place was shut.

e2: I am p sure all Tesco shops are closing at 10pm until further notice

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 26, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone seen what the supermarket stock levels are? I was hoping to wait out the wave of panic buying but I'm getting a bit low on some things so will have to venture to the shops soon.

Was in my local Tesco today. No pasta, bogroll, eggs, rice. Fresh fruit, veg & bread low but in stock. Only the less popular tinned stuff left. Booze nearly wiped out, too. Only a certain number allowed in at once & 2 metre limit being enforced (altho the oldies appeared oblivious to it). General feeling among the shoppers of being sullen but resigned (or maybe that was just me).

My local bakery is still open and selling freshly-baked sourdough loaves, so there was some compensation!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My boss is out for a week, woke up with a fever this morning. Bricking it tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

not having much of a mass singing tradition beyond football and maybe Christmas carols?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Why did Jonah sing?

Because everybody sings in Whales :dadjoke:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

With the nursery closed I need some correct children's TV to watch with the minicakes. So far hey duggee and Pablo seem acceptable.

There's a new series of Shaun the Sheep just gone up on Netflix :)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just looking at the business news, corporations are withholding rent payments wholesale. Intu (shopping centre owners) received less than a third of the rent they were owed.

It's amazing the difference in how rent is viewed for large businesses vs individuals. Unilaterally stopping rent payments is an seen as an objectively prudent decision for large companies with cashflow concerns and lawyers. It's just a strong negotiating position in a purely commercial transaction.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sebzilla posted:

Sarah and Duck
Puffin Rock

Not seen Puffin Rock but Sarah and Duck is good poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Good one :D

I've got several male friends and relatives in Welsh Male Voice Choirs!

Anyway, here is a non-exhaustive but lengthy list from Unite Community of local self-help groups (I think they're all facebook groups).
(I know that there are 3 in my town none of them listed on here!)

https://secretldn.com/uk-community-aid-groups-by-area/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 26, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Added to the OP with the others.

Shyrka posted:

Out past curfew, citizen? :cop:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Managed to get the last carton of eggs at the Tesco Metro. The worry to me was that there was very obviously only one box, when normally there's basically a whole shelf unit normally devoted to them (and the staff had moved things over from adjacent shelves to make the gaps a little less obvious and massive).

I'm getting a little worried about this now, because most people surely have sated their panic-buying impulse - why are things still selling out so quickly? Retail goons - are deliveries still coming in on time and at expected levels and it's still just increased demand, or have things started slowing down?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell, this person is 100% serious

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to clap without anything to clap at, and I really don't think any NHS staff are gonna go out and get clapped at.

I think it's a wonderful idea #SpreadTheClap

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's self fulfilling, you're getting worried, so what would you do if there were two boxes of eggs? You'd buy both, even if you normally wouldn't eat them all, because you don't know how long it'll be til you can get more.

Plus, of course, you also have everyone who would be eating at the canteen or at a restaurant now making their own food. We don't normally keep any spare, a lot of food products are just what you see on the shelf, especially in small supermarkets, there's no overstock, the warehouses are far smaller than the shop floor again, especially in tiny locals.

That's the joy of JIT logistics, it's designed to have absolutely no slack capacity.

Bardeh posted:

As far as I can tell, this person is 100% serious

Hey it's me in late summer :v:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

XMNN posted:

I'm still a little surprised I haven't seen any UK balcony singing videos, but I suspect that's some combination of us generally not having as many balconies, not having a proper lockdown, and not having much of a mass singing tradition beyond football and maybe Christmas carols?

They're out there. An aspiring musician living nearby who's been self isolating for two weeks now. She's been doing balcony sessions (and live streaming them on Facebook to the community page) every day from 3pm. Getting quite popular too. Somebody on my estate had all his gigs cancelled (duh, pub gigs) so he set up a stage in his back garden and did a few sets there with a live stream... that one didn't go down so well with the neighbours trying to concentrate while working from home.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

radmonger posted:

Which of these two contradictory sentences do you consider to be true? ‘No evidence’ really should mean no evidence, not ‘in my expert professional judgement, the available evidence does not meet the required standards of proof’.

For example, there is no evidence that humans cannot breathe unaided on the far side of the Moon. And any proposals for a rigorous clinical trials would fail on both funding and ethical grounds. But I wouldn’t recommend making plans on that basis.

The mainstream professional judgement of French and German doctors is and always has been that you should not take Nurofen or equivalents for flu-like illnesses. Fever is the immune system’s response to infection; a drug to suppress that response is, to them, not something that should ever be administered without specific medical advice.

Other medical systems have different default views, which is why the WHO has been giving conflicting advice.

Why on earth do you think they are contradictory sentences? There is a widely reported specific claim that ibuprofen is potentially associated with sudden deterioration in cases of Covid-19, there is no evidence at all to support this. There has been no evidence at all to suggest ibuprofen has any harmful effects in cases of Covid-19 beyond the usual cautions of the drug, despite what has been reported. There have been previous low quality observational studies looking at NSAIDs in general and other respiratory infections that do nothing more than suggest further investigation could be of benefit. They are of no relation to the recent claims about ibuprofen and they are not 'evidence' that ibuprofen is harmful in respiratory infections in the same way that Wakefield's MMR paper was not 'evidence' that the MMR vaccine caused autism. Medical research does not work the way you think it does and this is exactly what happens when the general media starts reporting on these papers. To say that 'no evidence' means there can not be a single poor quality study with overreaching conclusions from the authors is an impossible barrier and makes the term completely meaningless. I look forward to the reporting once the trials in China start coming back with preliminary results.

To your other points, there is plenty of robust evidence that humans cannot breath unaided on the far side of the moon as we can say with a high degree of certainty that there is not an atmosphere containing oxygen and humans require oxygen to breath. I doubt a study looking at this would get ethical approval. If fever is the immune systems response to infection and lowering this artificially is harmful then this applies equally to paracetamol, and again is lacking in good quality evidence. Their views regarding NSAIDs is exactly the same as ours, which is there is no real evidence they are harmful, but they aren't of benefit either so there is no harm in advising caution.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zalakwe posted:

A million times this. I've been dying to show off my - cough - sorry, my SON's clubhoise project.

I also love Sarah and duck for some surrealist scarf action. Go Jetters is educational and inoffensive. Bing has great morals and parenting on show but I would rather be stabbed in both eyes.

Good work

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/laurasnapes/status/1243143758205640705?s=19

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my 3-year-old niece loves Hey Duggee, Sarah and Duck, Blaze and the Monster Machines, and Paw Patrol (the last two I find intensely annoying but they've got good messages so I tolerate them)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's self fulfilling, you're getting worried, so what would you do if there were two boxes of eggs? You'd buy both, even if you normally wouldn't eat them all, because you don't know how long it'll be til you can get more.

Plus, of course, you also have everyone who would be eating at the canteen or at a restaurant now making their own food. We don't normally keep any spare, a lot of food products are just what you see on the shelf, especially in small supermarkets, there's no overstock, the warehouses are far smaller than the shop floor again, especially in tiny locals.

That's the joy of JIT logistics, it's designed to have absolutely no slack capacity.

The funny thing is I know all of this, intellectually (have in fact had arguments with other people over exactly this) and yet I'm *still* freaking out about it.

Maybe it's just seeing the massive lines at the Asda that's doing it to me. I did some mental arithmetic after standing there for about 10 minutes and realised it would have taken about 2 hours to get in there, and I bailed and decided to try the small shops. Now I know - in my head - that it's actually probably quieter today than on a normal day, but it's something so utterly alien to me it's really loving me up.

As it is, apart from milk, I now easily have a week's fresh food in the house plus a decent buffer of frozen and tinned food, so if needs be I can hermit it up for a bit, but I know I won't be able to stop myself at least swinging past the Asda when out for a walk just to nudge my anxiety like a tongue in a tooth cavity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I can't speak to london because I have no idea how busy they are in major cities, but there's nothing I know of that would interrupt food supply. At worst I think you're likely to see a shortage of particular items but if everyone in the country is filling the cupboards (and wants to keep them full for some time until the uncertainty abates) that's a massive amount of extra warehousing. Like I'm sure you can do some maths on the volume of space vs households and come out to like, a football stadium full of pasta or some poo poo, if you want.

There's genuinely no infrastructure to deal with a sudden uptick of demand, they start shipping stuff in for christmas over months ahead, that's part of why it starts so early, to even out the distribution bump and they know that happens every year.

We live in a society that creates a veneer of constancy but it's atom-thin, and most people don't have any direct experience with that. And now that they do, they're recreating the old way of having a massive warehouse full of poo poo, except distributed among everyone's kitchen cupboards.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 26, 2020

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I love that Hey Duggee appears to have been made by old school ravers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05N2jqFHc8

In food related news, me and the wife are part of a charity food club. It's not quite a food bank as there is a £3 fee each week.

Last week's options were minimal due to the panic buying going on.

This week however, they told me that they have considerable donations due to all the restaurants and catering suppliers that now have products they can't sell. They were giving away kilogrammes of Rib eye steak, pork loin and chicken Tikka masala. I'm wondering if the same is going to be in regular food banks across the country.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tsietisin posted:

In food related news, me and the wife are part of a charity food club. It's not quite a food bank as there is a £3 fee each week.

Last week's options were minimal due to the panic buying going on.

This week however, they told me that they have considerable donations due to all the restaurants and catering suppliers that now have products they can't sell. They were giving away kilogrammes of Rib eye steak, pork loin and chicken Tikka masala. I'm wondering if the same is going to be in regular food banks across the country.

I think it will depend on whether the particular food bank has any means of storing fresh produce. I know our local one doesn't AND is only open on Friday mornings. It's relatively small (we're a small town) and in a room in a church basement.
Are people still having to get vouchers to use a foodbank or are they open to anyone now?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

a football stadium full of pasta

No, it's supposed to be *lasagna*, you fools!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I can't speak to london because I have no idea how busy they are in major cities, but there's nothing I know of that would interrupt food supply.
If anything, allowing more trucks through would make it better, not worse.

OwlFancier posted:

a football stadium full of pasta
The FA has formally denied that.

OwlFancier posted:

We live in a society that creates a veneer of constancy but it's atom-thin, and most people don't have any direct experience with that. And now that they do, they're recreating the old way of having a massive warehouse full of poo poo, except distributed among everyone's kitchen cupboards.
This is a good analogy. The Andrex Attic League.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I was prepared for these tiems thanks to the humous and cat litter shortages a few months ago :cool:

Learned to make my own humous. Cat had to learn to put up with wood pellet litter but she is still bitterly resentful about it and occasionally takes swipes at my feet over it

As it happens I've been off work since the second week of this month with what has turned out to be a prolapsed disc and I have noticed that while just sitting/lying around I probably eat less than half as much as I do normally. Although part of that might be suppressed appetite due to pain and the effects of painkillers idk. I do want to feel justified in my outrage at the ridiculous amounts certain people have boasted about hoarding when the supermarkets are still going to be there ffs

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Red Oktober posted:

Mighty suspicious cough you have there...

Erm..

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

cat litter shortages a few months ago :cool:

Ah, another big fan of ultra-clumping, i see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

cat litter shortages
I see everyone had my idea to try and make an oxygen generator. Hope they don't blow themselves up.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

crispix posted:

prolapsed disc

Send photos to Jose

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"humous" makes me worried because it sounds like pureed leaf mould.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

StarkingBarfish posted:

Send photos to Jose

i didn't get to see my MRI results. They phoned me because they don't want people coming to the hospital atm :(

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I see everyone had my idea to try and make an oxygen generator. Hope they don't blow themselves up.

If there's one home gamer who might, its AvE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRgISFuE0k

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

I was prepared for these tiems thanks to the humous and cat litter shortages a few months ago :cool:

Learned to make my own humous. Cat had to learn to put up with wood pellet litter but she is still bitterly resentful about it and occasionally takes swipes at my feet over it

As it happens I've been off work since the second week of this month with what has turned out to be a prolapsed disc and I have noticed that while just sitting/lying around I probably eat less than half as much as I do normally. Although part of that might be suppressed appetite due to pain and the effects of painkillers idk. I do want to feel justified in my outrage at the ridiculous amounts certain people have boasted about hoarding when the supermarkets are still going to be there ffs

I have put on 3kg since a couple of weeks ago when I started staying in more (possibly contributed to by the 'last suppering' - I have to have this litre of ice cream now today because who knows when it will be come unavailable and how long for).

I'd say about half my friends are gaining weight and the other half (and typically those are suffering extreme anxiety over this situation) are losing weight.
I guess it depends whether you are a stress eater or not.

I've stayed in completely 2 days this week. I didn't get a walk outside yesterday except to The Bins (TM) but did walk up to the roof a few times as I did lots of washing and hung it out to dry - our drying space is on the flat roof. For some reason I was dead tired yesterday and went to bed 3 hours earlier than normal for me. I'm guessing the extreme tiredness was my brain finally beginning to say 'no more' to the relentless Virus News.

Children's TV chat:

Those who are parents. I'd like your opinions on Horrid Henry.

A few weeks ago, a 4 year old relative started saying things to her mother that 'daddy pushed me' 'daddy this' 'daddy that' (nothing sexual). Anyway, when I was informed of this, I said to the child's grandmother who had told me that I was disturbed by the comments and that I felt it my safeguarding duty to 'do something'.
This caused some panic as they were scared I might call social services (something they know I have done before years ago in an extreme situation).

Anyway, as my 'do something' I asked child's grandmother to speak to the father - he said 'it wasn't like that' but grandmother pointed out to him that if the child mentioned something like this at her nursery school, the full might of safeguarding would almost certainly kick in and suggested (a) he read up on it (b) if he felt any frustration at all about anything he should walk away from a situation.
I also wrote out an NSPCC form as 'possible cause for concern' and have it on my computer (not sent).

Since then and the lockdown - child and parents in 12 week self-isolation - grandma has had opportunity to observe things at closer quarters. She has seen with her own eyes child roll off sofa, fall on floor and then run to her mother and say 'daddy pushed me on to the floor' when he wasn't even in the room.
Grandma blames Horrid Henry - which I have never seen - and said she told child's mother months ago not to let her watch it.

What do you think? Is it really that bad? Any other kids doing this kind of thing? It's quite concerning to me.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve lost weight, I was on a concentrated effort to bulk before this hit. However I’ve lost 6kgs in 3 weeks, so I’ve started my summer cut much earlier than normal.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I seem to be holding steady on weight, and in fact am probably going to end this fitter- with the gyms all closed I’ve switched from my normal 2-3 times weekly heavy weights based workout to daily 4+ mile walks and TRX routines every other day.

Incidentally, get a TRX If you want a really efficient and space-saving method of working out at home. It’s a body weight suspension trainer, so you can use it literally anywhere you can fasten it to a tree/fence/whatever and it’d take some imagination to injure yourself on it. Before I was a fudge magnate I worked for years as a PT and fell completely in love with it.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'm finding that working from home is helping my mental health immensely for some reason, even during such a weird time. I'm having more energy to cook and have definitely been eating healthier. Genuinely chalking it up to sitting next to a huge south-facing window while WFH and getting lots of sunshine.

Went to Sainsbury's for a shop yesterday though and it definitely felt a little... uneasy? I dunno. Just felt like a lot of tension in the air.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Surprise T Rex posted:

Just felt like a lot of tension in the air.

That’s the COVID you’re breathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Surprise T Rex posted:

Went to Sainsbury's for a shop yesterday though and it definitely felt a little... uneasy? I dunno. Just felt like a lot of tension in the air.

I was picking up some supplies yesterday and there was a guy going round videotaping people buying food.