Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

pmchem posted:

lol Cramer just said "there's nothing in this bill that bails out big business", what a crock of poo poo

They will not be satisfied until they get an even bigger giveaway than 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Comrayn posted:

They will not be satisfied until they get an even bigger giveaway than 2009.

haven't they already

also, where can I learn more about these jobless numbers from somebody who knows what they're talking about? who's a good source of info/insight?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
This feels a bit like the bit in the Big Short when the guys who bet against the bonds are running around shouting because the bubble hasn't burst yet

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

golden bubble posted:

Today has made it abundantly clear. Boomer 401ks are such a strong driver of the stock market that you almost need to watch Fox News just to understand how those types of investors think.

If I were 65 years old with a pension and social security coming in, there's no way in hell I would sell my stocks right now.

Think about how many had probably bailed out of stocks in the doldrums of 2009 on the expectation that Obama would ruin the country. They won't want to get burned again.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Tatsuta Age posted:

haven't they already

also, where can I learn more about these jobless numbers from somebody who knows what they're talking about? who's a good source of info/insight?

That's the problem; the jobless claims go to states directly with state dictated programs that get funded through Federal programs and operate within Federal limits of what's allowable, so if the Feds are loving with the numbers there's not a "better source" available.

States were embargoed from releasing their own data last week, and that almost certainly is coming with the force of "censor this info or we'll gently caress with your funding"

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Today has made it abundantly clear. Boomer 401ks are such a strong driver of the stock market that you almost need to watch Fox News just to understand how those types of investors think.

yup, agreed. I think the big private equity / hedge fund people bought in Monday, and now it's all about pumping to boomers. I'm about willing to give in and say the low has passed, although it makes no rational sense for the majority of workers. They're not the people who profit from the market.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Ultra low interest rates are probably distorting the market a fair bit too, there’s literally nowhere else to put your money and get any kind of return above inflation. In Australia the market kept rising even though the economy was sluggish at best, there was a big disconnect between the real economy and share prices.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

When do we see official unemployment numbers next?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Anyone have a preferred tutorial/manual/guide for setting up ToS? This interface is utterly impenetrable

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

gay picnic defence posted:

I guess they’re all just pricing in Trump curing the virus by Easter

Do you think it’s worth me holding on to my Strong Bear ETFs until the next potential set of bad economic figures? I thought that at least 50% fall from top to bottom was a given but if people are happy to brush off a historically high unemployment figure like that then maybe those sorts of falls aren’t as certain as I assumed.

I'm on the same boat, but I'm gonna give it a bit more time and look for a more dignified exit than today. And if there isn't one, I'll be that guy that perfectly timed the bottom of the market and just got the direction wrong.

java
May 7, 2005

Today is just going to be one of those days where I take it on the chin. Still going to hold onto my SPY puts, but I'm starting to sweat my PENN puts a bit.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

lol Cramer just said "there's nothing in this bill that bails out big business", what a crock of poo poo

Cramer is like 5% actual knowledge anf 95% bullshit. And he's always been for big business.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 26, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

java posted:

Today is just going to be one of those days where I take it on the chin. Still going to hold onto my SPY puts, but I'm starting to sweat my PENN puts a bit.

Yeah I hate that I see red on my puts but, man, I could not see myself thinking things are going to get better from here on out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s no way that this isn’t going to come hilariously crashing down in the near future. Things are badly hosed, and the market is denying its fundamentals (i.e. reality). Volatility is coming.

Not that I know what I’m talking about...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pollyanna posted:

There’s no way that this isn’t going to come hilariously crashing down in the near future. Things are badly hosed, and the market is denying its fundamentals (i.e. reality). Volatility is coming.

Not that I know what I’m talking about...

Print enough money inflation happens, stock prices keep going up because each dollar is worth less and less. Number goes up!

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lost on puts, but agree with the its ok, green is good sentiment.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

jokes posted:

Yeah I hate that I see red on my puts but, man, I could not see myself thinking things are going to get better from here on out.

Being red on your puts but black on the rest of your account is also ok. I, too, think this is a dangerous pump and game to play given the circumstances. Generational wealth transfer to keep boomers portfolios propped up.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

pixaal posted:

Print enough money inflation happens, stock prices keep going up because each dollar is worth less and less. Number goes up!

But dollars aren't worth less and less because the rest of the world needs dollar-denominated instruments. Eventually the rest of the world might move to another currency, but right now almost everything is pegged to the dollar.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
ADP numbers come in on April 1. Let's see what it looks like.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

java posted:

jokes posted:

This is the boat I'm in. I don't want to recognize the loss in some of my puts (looking at you, SPY and BYD puts :argh:) and start playing with calls to try and earn that back because I just can't see things getting better - nothing adds up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, knowing now that UVXY is just an ETF and holding it doesn’t gently caress me over to the tune of owing more money if it goes down, I’m more willing to bet on things going to poo poo again soon.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're going to long the VIX you should really wait until market sentiment reverses. Right now it has been trending in the positive since Friday

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Let's poke at my bad and wrong model in the important way. What is the important way?

We can look at diagnoses through tests, and deaths attributable to the disease, and extrapolate from both of those for further deaths, because even if the testing rate is bad and wrong, it's underestimating, not overestimating, and the deaths attributable to the disease are underestimating but by a much narrower margin. While there are signs that we're pegging out our testing bandwidth and so it will lag the actual infection more, the deaths attributable won't suffer the same problem. So, deaths is probably a pretty good number, and confirmed cases is a pretty poo poo number.

If we look at South Korea, they've been testing aggressively and have a testing regime that is effective in that their deaths per capita are low: 75 with a population of 50M, already surpassing the US's performance. Their mortality rate of confirmed cases is 0.5%. That's 1/3rd the U.S.'s death rate.

If we were to assume that actual mortality is roughly equivalent in SK and the US (which is a dubious assumption), then there are 3x the number of infected in the U.S. as we've measured. What can we do with this info?

It tells us very little new info about how many people will die. The mortality rate isn't growing exponentially while the disease is spreading exponentially, so it follows the deaths will grow exponentially on a similar curve to the infections.

It tells us very little new info about how many people will need hospitalization, same as above. And likewise with medical care saturation.

What it does tell us is that our bad data is going to mislead us about when will things flatten out, because people who've been infected are at reduced likelihood to get reinfected, and if the testing number understates how many people have been infected, then we'll reach that critical point sooner than the numbers would suggest. Italy's furthest along of western nations and has been slowing (not stopping), with a full lockdown; which isn't happening in the US.

So, we'll probably reach peak infection spread with an anomalously low diagnosed number and an anomalously high mortality rate. But at less than a percent of the population now infected with any correction factor right now, we're just starting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sepist posted:

If you're going to long the VIX you should really wait until market sentiment reverses. Right now it has been trending in the positive since Friday

Eh gently caress it, sure, I’ll exit. Still made a profit, but a bit less than I’d like.

Still don’t like active trading. Think I’m done with that now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DIS has already released the schedules for the park workers through April 4th with zero hours on them, but they haven't officially said the parks are going to stay closed longer. They're waiting for a Friday after market close news dump I bet.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been short on VXX since 85 vix. Still short. Can't believe people were going long vix at above 70. Absolute madness. I was someone who held VXX for 5 months but I would never hold/long vol at these prices ever. Only thing is to hedge yourself.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

BA is doubling in 6 days :stare:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Moatman posted:

Anyone have a preferred tutorial/manual/guide for setting up ToS? This interface is utterly impenetrable

I'd be interested in this, too. I am a newbie at using it and any tips / actually updated and useful guide links would be great.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Going long vix when its 60+ is like shorting it at 10, its a hard tell that you dont understand what youre doing. Dont do that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

greasyhands posted:

Going long vix when its 60+ is like shorting it at 10, its a hard tell that you dont understand what youre doing. Dont do that

I bought at 49, sold at 60.80 :shrug: Good enough. Active trading isn’t for me.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Bought more puts!

Irrational exuberance.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I bought at 49, sold at 60.80 :shrug: Good enough. Active trading isn’t for me.

And yet, here you are still!

s t a r t
t r a d i n g
f u t u r e s

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

whoever called 11:00 for people to digest the numbers might have been right been trending down for about 15 minutes. Could just be a dip.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Futures are fun if you hate stable blood pressure and want to scare your animals with loud screaming. Sometimes you open a position and you'd swear the market is actively trying to hunt your stop loss

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tons of cash coming off the sidelines.

dollar index: down

gold: up
treasuries (value not yield): up
equities: up

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
If you were short and whining right now, grow a loving pair.

You were warned that pensions will be buying. You were warned that liquidity will improve somewhat. It has nothing to do with Fox News, or people ignoring fundamentals.

EDIT: And just so we are clear, I'm not pretending to be above it or something. I started shorting this week and its clear I moved too fast. A couple of more bullets in the chamber.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

FWIW I've got a lot of years piloting ToS under my belt, I've never found a comprehensive "Here's how to do everything you want to do" tutorial. Things that are somewhat useful:

/r/thinkorswim, which is about the tool almost exclusively often has useful tips. It won't acclimate you.
tastytrade, before they released Tastyworks, focused on Thinkorswim because they built Thinkorswim before selling it to TDA
Googling how to do one thing can help a bunch.

Now, none of these are "babby's first TOS" so what should you understand to start with?

I'd focus my attention on Activity and Positions in the Monitor tab, Charts/Charts with a layout that shows you something useful, and Trade/All Products

Get a handle for pulling up a quote in Trade/All Products, executing a trade at a limit, and that trade getting filled and populating Monitor/Activity and Positions. This is fundamental. Start with equities, and less expensive ones at that. People talk about SPY here a lot because it's very liquid and has a very liquid options market. If you're trying to figure out ToS don't try and figure out how to options on top.

Two symbols you can buy and sell and probably not gently caress up too badly: KNG traces the S&P 500 index with good fidelity and pays a better dividend. It's getting this higher dividend by making option plays, so there's higher expense ratios on it, and you have more risk than SPY. If you're trying to play with ToS you are going to be embracing more risk. If you're starting out, trading something that costs ~1/10th the price / share can help you get your bearings. SPTM is the "total market" fund that SSGA also administers. SSGA administers SPY which everyone is always blabbering about. It's also way lower price/share than SPY.

Figuring out how to drive Thinkorswim won't fix your judgment or give you good reactions, that's on you.

edit: Just to be clear, you will not make money by putting it in SPTM or KNG right now over the span of months. These are not amazing instruments that will give you some kind of amazing success. I am mentioning the two by name because they are broadly correlated to the market at large, you probably won't suffer a total loss on either, and they both pay a dividend so you can see some new cash to play with as you're figuring things out.

Dwight Eisenhower fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 26, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fougera posted:

You were warned that pensions will be buying. You were warned that liquidity will improve somewhat. It has nothing to do with Fox News, or people ignoring fundamentals.

How do we know for a fact that this is the case?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My wife’s employer just extended WFH to April 30.

Still up 3% today, and my puts are holding up surprisingly well. I went for late April/mid-May and reasonable strike prices. Still holding. If the initial economic doom is priced in, we’ll see what happens when it becomes apparent that a return to normalcy will not be happening by Easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People will always be buying, people like to pretend things were obvious during short-term pumps/dumps and then mysteriously disappear when it's reversed. Not here, necessarily, but just places in general-- especially WSB.

Frankly, like I said, playing unemployment numbers is a gamble on its own and, like earnings, they are anything but certain on their effect on prices. The certain effect is that a lot of people and industries are gonna get hosed over because of all the unemployed people. Whether or not that hits the market today or in the future is unknown. Also, most stock valuations are highly speculative and (still) ridiculously crazy-high.