Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I just finished Terminator Resistance and it is actually a genuine good game.

It's astonishing how many things this game got right, a lot of mechanical polish that put way too many AAA productions to shame because those are the things which get frequently overlooked/not implemented/never patched. For example Termintors drop weapons and have an inventory. To pick up weapons its hold E, to search them it's just a single button press so you never pick up the wrong poo poo AND you dont have to HOLD a button down for the most repetitive tasks.
It's full of such small but vital details which makes it a simple joy to play because it doesn't annoy every 10 seconds when you use "this other thing" the game has. Consistent through and through. Hacking minigame is fun, plays like some retro arcade game, lockpicking is the best there is from Dying Light, skills have notable effects even though the progression is a bit linear, crafting is solid and most of the time not necessary but nice to have for some extra stuff.

Actual gameplay can be done stealth or action or combo, leaning towards action engagements. It both works rather well with a lot of utilities to use. Shooting is satisfying, bit more as stealthing (also no XP for the latter ) Only the AI is Skynet pre-alpha and not too much of a challenge most of the time. It's not overly pretty, looking more like a last gen game made with UE3 but it's sufficient and overall tranports the vibe of the 80s/90s Terminator good enough. Story is solid, closely aligned to the movies plots, playing exclusively in the future. There are familiar faces from the movies too. My only gripe was the protagonists VO was very loud and he generally sounds like the generic dumb american white guy I couldn't care less about. He must be very attractive though because there are two PEGI 13 sex scenes in the game. They even put in some sort of RPG mini-branching dialogue stories for a few main characters, which will have minor consequences at the end.

Soundtrack is mostly the Terminator theme in various formats, which is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Rogue Legacy was $3 and I bought it. It's good and the idle clicker levels of metaprogression are what I was looking for I guess. Would recommend. Somehow I hadnt played it yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition worth :20bux: ?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"CARY, NC (March 26, 2020) -- Today, Epic Games is announcing a new multiplatform publishing effort with a developer-first approach. gen DESIGN (The Last Guardian), Playdead (Inside, Limbo), and Remedy Entertainment (Control) are the first partners to announce relationships with Epic Games Publishing."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It is by far the worst of the new Tomb Raider games. Seriously, Reboot and Rise are so much better.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

AngryBooch posted:

It is by far the worst of the new Tomb Raider games. Seriously, Reboot and Rise are so much better.

Agree completely, I got maybe 2-3 hours in and quit because I had already played the same game but better twice. Maybe worth it if you don't have anything better to play but it's a very mediocre game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

anilEhilated posted:

Any experiences with that? I love MMBN but goddamn this looks ugly.

An early demo came out of the Kickstarter campaign like over a year ago and I thought the battle system was extremely promising . I'm not a backer though and don't know how much progress they've made since then -- gonna wait for some impressions but I've definitely been looking forward to this one!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

That's unfortunate. I have already beaten Reboot ages ago and bought Rise but haven't played it yet.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

anilEhilated posted:

30 min of gameplay here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEB375rxWv0

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Also I'm not familiar with either of these sites but found two reviews of One Step From Eden that look promising. Sounds like the game errs on the side of being difficult/complex, which may not be for everyone, but I'm happy to hear there's apparently plenty of depth there. Probably gonna go ahead and jump on it when it unlocks! Definitely curious about the co-op/PVP implementation too -- they're local only for now with plans for online to be added in the future. I wonder how well they'd work with the new steam Play Together feature?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I liked it okay, it absolutely has the best puzzles/tombs out of the three reboots. It also has the best weapons/combat systems but then inexplicably makes the decision to have you do like 90% less combat than the previous two games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Daemon X Machina is very good but the random drops plus the fact that you can only take one piece per looting coupled with my predilection for heavy weapons means that now my mech looks like he skips leg day

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrNutt posted:

I liked it okay, it absolutely has the best puzzles/tombs out of the three reboots. It also has the best weapons/combat systems but then inexplicably makes the decision to have you do like 90% less combat than the previous two games.

Less combat? Sounds like the best one then.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Less combat? Sounds like the best one then.

Unironically my reasoning for preferring it over the others and the Mesoamerica theme helped tremendously too, the puzzles are actually pretty clever.

But, I thought the lore bits were done very lazily... it's just Lara reading everything instead of the different people giving their own accounts.

But it also has a pretty fun photo mode that lets you change her expressions.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 26, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do the games after Reboot change the stealth system, where the moment you alert someone every single baddie in the current map knows exactly where you are, and they come in with everything for a HUGE party? Because that sucks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Do the games after Reboot change the stealth system, where the moment you alert someone every single baddie in the current map knows exactly where you are, and they come in with everything for a HUGE party? Because that sucks

That still happens in Rise but there are a few more ways to stealth-kill dudes and avoid discovery.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 26, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

baka kaba posted:

You are basically the predator in Shadow, right down to stringing dudes up so their buddies can find them and freak out.

e: It's why I wish there was more combat in Shadow, it's really fun.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hwurmp posted:

That still happens but there are a few more ways to stealth-kill dudes and avoid discovery.

urgh, the stealth killing was never the problem, just that the moment you mess up you don't get to stealth anymore, now it's a shooter and everyone is immediately precision projectile bombing you from wherever. If you could hide or something and reset it then that would be fine, it just feels janky

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

anilEhilated posted:

Ok after playing it for a few minutes it's MMBN as hell. The soundtrack and the gameplay if you liked that , I think you'll like this

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played the Tomb Raider reboot on release and haven't even played Rise but quit Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the village. It was so boring.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Serephina posted:

8:30 into a video game review: "Speaking of Playing, let's talk about that". He's spent the entire time up until then gushing about how pretty it looks/sounds. Grumble grumble grumble.

This is why I prefer text infodumps. Lets me go right to the bit I want to know.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Deakul posted:

Unironically my reasoning for preferring it over the others and the Mesoamerica theme helped tremendously too, the puzzles are actually pretty clever.

But, I thought the lore bits were done very lazily... it's just Lara reading everything instead of the different people giving their own accounts.

But it also has a pretty fun photo mode that lets you change her expressions.

Yeah I'm not as much of a huge fan of real time combat as much these days, don't play multiplayer games outside of non-combat animal crossing whatevers, so this sounds good.

Also I laughed out loud hard to this image. That might just sell the game for me honestly.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wanted to take a minute to gush about Battle Chef Brigade, which I just played on Xbox Live Gamepass but which is leaving the service soon (why I finally got off my rear end to play it.)

I was always interested in the game but never enough to research it that intensely; I’m not much of a puzzle guy. But now that I’ve played it, I have to say it’s one of the most refreshing and fun puzzle games I’ve played in years.

The game markets itself as a hybrid beat ‘em up and puzzle game, but that isn’t totally true to the experience. The brawler element is very light; basically, during a battle, you have to go out and beat on monsters and plants to gather the ingredients that become the pieces you can drop into your puzzle. It’s not challenging, and is more like a puzzle in itself; you have to think about what monsters should go into your dish based on the battle’s theme, the state of your dish (puzzle grid,) and various bonuses you may have equipped. Also, monsters interact with each other to produce new ingredients (feed a chicken and it will lay an egg, some monsters will eat spicy peppers and bleed hot sauce, etc.)

The puzzle element is Puyo Puyo Pop with a Chopped theme. You are issued a challenge by judges to produce a series of dishes using particular ingredients that feature different flavors (puzzle colors.) By dropping ingredients into your dish (puzzle grid,) you can then cook them to manipulate them, generally matching three to upgrade the flavor and clear space for more.

However, the dish can also be picked up and moved to another piece of cookware. Different cookware follows different puzzle rules. Some pans may match 2 instead of 3 but only match one type of color. Others (like the cutting board) may allow you to slice undesired gems out of the puzzle, or (as the oven) passively upgrade gems over time.

It’s really a brilliant bit of design, bolstered by gorgeous watercolor art inspired by Revolutionary Girl Utena. I’ve never seen anyone talking about this game, but it’s so clever and fun, and I’d heartily recommend it to fans of any Puyo Puyo games, or match 3’s like Puzzle Quest.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
As someone who just 100%ed Shadow recently (literally the week of the final update patch, in fact, they had to bugfix a treasure for me to do so), I'll definitely say it's the weakest of the three, but it's not garbage? It's just got three incredibly bad ideas bundled into it.

a) gently caress that village so hard. It's big, it is weirdly unoptimized (swimming back to it from a side dungeon at one point it actually made the game pop up a "NOW LOADING" message over my screen), and about 60% of the game takes place in or directly around it, which leads into...
b) "We went to all the trouble of making a cool mix and match set of gear for bonuses and dress-up and we're locking you into a region where you must wear one of 3 outfits all game long. And one of those three is DLC. And if you ever visit this area we're going to auto-equip one of those three over whatever you had on."
c) Combat, especially if you like to be a stealthy hunter, is better than ever. The tombs are better than ever. The game has decided to balance these by going about 30/70 on them and the massive weight of the tombs (not counting the fresh DLC stuff that's all designed around one concept apiece and makes a tiny mini-campaign, which rule) mean that you miss combat more and the tombs become very, very repetitive by endgame if you're not spacing them out with... nothing, there's nothing else.

If you dug the last two, I'd say it's worth it, especially cheap (and ESPECIALLY with the DLC, which owns), but holy poo poo it is no contest which entry in the new stuff is the weakest now that this exists. However, just like the last two games, when it goes all in on combat for a little while, it does kick rear end (looking at you oil rig sequence)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

END ME SCOOB posted:

As someone who just 100%ed Shadow recently (literally the week of the final update patch, in fact, they had to bugfix a treasure for me to do so), I'll definitely say it's the weakest of the three, but it's not garbage? It's just got three incredibly bad ideas bundled into it.

a) gently caress that village so hard. It's big, it is weirdly unoptimized (swimming back to it from a side dungeon at one point it actually made the game pop up a "NOW LOADING" message over my screen), and about 60% of the game takes place in or directly around it, which leads into...
b) "We went to all the trouble of making a cool mix and match set of gear for bonuses and dress-up and we're locking you into a region where you must wear one of 3 outfits all game long. And one of those three is DLC. And if you ever visit this area we're going to auto-equip one of those three over whatever you had on."
c) Combat, especially if you like to be a stealthy hunter, is better than ever. The tombs are better than ever. The game has decided to balance these by going about 30/70 on them and the massive weight of the tombs (not counting the fresh DLC stuff that's all designed around one concept apiece and makes a tiny mini-campaign, which rule) mean that you miss combat more and the tombs become very, very repetitive by endgame if you're not spacing them out with... nothing, there's nothing else.

If you dug the last two, I'd say it's worth it, especially cheap (and ESPECIALLY with the DLC, which owns), but holy poo poo it is no contest which entry in the new stuff is the weakest now that this exists. However, just like the last two games, when it goes all in on combat for a little while, it does kick rear end (looking at you oil rig sequence)

Lmao how the gently caress did they not patch out b at literally any point. I was sure at some point it would happen and that was when I was going to go back and replay it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So they did.

As a NG+ feature in the "complete" edition final patch.

And it didn't even fire properly for my post-game save.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Lately, I've been trying out various Doom mods and I find Golden Souls 2 to be something rather unique even in a sea of mods of exceptional quality. Every time I think the mod has run out of new things to show me, it wows me in unexpected ways. Definitely worth checking out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ghost Recon Breakpoint: I have found my true calling: fashion thief. I'm going to visit every single base on this map and steal their unique fashion gear, and then never wear it! Muahahahahahah!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

baka kaba posted:

urgh, the stealth killing was never the problem, just that the moment you mess up you don't get to stealth anymore, now it's a shooter and everyone is immediately precision projectile bombing you from wherever. If you could hide or something and reset it then that would be fine, it just feels janky

Shadow does give enemies multiple alert levels. Though at least in the early game combat arenas are so small that actually shaking off enemies can be a bit awkward.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ghost Recon Breakpoint: I have found my true calling: fashion thief. I'm going to visit every single base on this map and steal their unique fashion gear, and then never wear it! Muahahahahahah!

Breakpoint is a Soulslike???

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

idk why but i always just wear the tanktop and jeans in those games. Backpack too, i guess, since your guns just float in the air otherwise.

i think all the tier-1 operator stuff just looks really silly and i feel way more badass taking on bases just in my weekend casual attire

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh someone mentioned GTA IV removing Games for Windows Live or whatever, but the bigger news is they updated it to a Complete edition - so everyone has the game and Episodes from Liberty City DLCs if you had one of those things before, if you're into that

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

John Murdoch posted:

Breakpoint is a Soulslike???

It's a shitslike. Easily one of the worst "trippel-ayyyyyyy" games released in a long time.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I actually was looking forward to Ghost Recon: Breakpoint because i wanted to scratch that MGS:V itch. Turns out they somehow spent years trying to make a worse version of Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's a shitslike. Easily one of the worst "trippel-ayyyyyyy" games released in a long time.

From five hours of play with the new "immersion" mode activated: Ghost Recon Breakpoint is basically Wildlands with a new setting, a stupid jungle base hub you have to visit occasionally for main plot stuff, and more drone enemies. (ever been hunted by a car? I have! It's really spooky!)

The main plot trades in racism for a kind of ho-hum investigation plot. You get stuck on this island full of hostile soldiers and drones, and have to help out the local homesteaders keep their independence from these guys while finding out who the traitor is and why.

The main gameplay is driving/flying/boating around the giant jungle-themed map finding bases with stuff in them (and it tells you what unique stuff is in any given location), extracting it, and killing men. Or sneaking past them. Missions vary it up a bit, of course, and there's also the usual ubisoft giant list of things to collect (hats! bits of in-game lore! currency so you can buy more hats!)

Anyways I got it for 17$ and it's absolutely baller. My favorite thing about the "immersion" difficulty is that instead of giving you glowing waypoints to objectives you get directions. Like - I just had to find someone standing at a gravesite so the mission told me "It's in this province, in the south-west area, along this beach" and I had to go hunting for it the hard way. Or I had to find a muzzle attachment "in y province's south, south of the forest, in checkpoint tiger bravo"

It's a little thing but it's so much fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is immersive mode basically Ghost Recon Wildlands? I mean, the guns were what they were, and the mods helped build on it. No gear score bullshit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is immersive mode basically Ghost Recon Wildlands? I mean, the guns were what they were, and the mods helped build on it. No gear score bullshit.

Yep! No gear score, headshots kill basically instantly (except some guys wear helmets and i hate them)

I go around looking like this:

and it's a delightful time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Serephina posted:

8:30 into a video game review: "Speaking of Playing, let's talk about that". He's spent the entire time up until then gushing about how pretty it looks/sounds. Grumble grumble grumble.

Well yeah how else are they supposed to get in ad revenue and perhaps make a current day meme reference to entice subscribers?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

g...gottem...?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That tileset being made for the Steam launch of Dwarf Fortress looks pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

So they did.

As a NG+ feature in the "complete" edition final patch.

And it didn't even fire properly for my post-game save.

Apparently I found out that NG+ unlocks more outfits, but there's no way to import a NG+ save into NG+ meaning you'd have to start all over again