Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

They had a whole season and all the cool toys of modern TV, and even had Patrick Stewart giving a poo poo about what he was doing, and they couldn't make a story that cracks the top 10 of TNG episodes. Amazing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
E10 thoughts:

The resolution was kinda lame. I have a feeling they were trying to show that even the Zhat Vash can be reasoned with but they forgot to add in the reasoning part and the moment of them leaving felt completely unearned, like almost all the other moments this show was going for. If they're just going to turn back because the portal closed, they really aren't that committed to killing all synthetic life. The borg cube felt like a massive waste of time- everything about it. It might feature in a more interesting version of Picard, but the one we got made it completely superfluous.

The ending felt like the ending of a different show that was less about the eradication of synthetic life and more about how it would be. This show tended more toward the cheap drama rather than dealing with any kind of high concepts. The parts that worked well were generally the parts with other TNG characters where the writers had a lot of characterization done for them. Data got a good sendoff, pity he had almost nothing to do with anything that happened between the first and last scene as a character, just as a plot device.

The new characters all had potential, I think, but they tended toward being very rote, and the show seemed to want to move on from giving them time to shine. I think Seven was a waste of time, particularly with the borg not being significant in the story in the slightest. A show that went more into XBs would've been interesting, but that's the kind of high concept thing that Kurtzman/Chabon really likes to ignore.

Also, for a show with this franchise, the production felt incredibly cheap, just like the way the show goes for its moments.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Those new Starfleet ship designs were quite erotic. Would like to see more of that in season 2.

I hope we see some proper renders and orthographics of them because a couple of them looked very Odyessy-class ish.

Well, over all I’m okay with the season, but hopefully next year they have a bit more cohesive plan for what they’re doing because this year was clearly them doing a grand experiment and not knowing if the show had a future, which it does now.

Hopefully Jeri Ryan is a series regular next year, because that final shot of everyone on La Sirena sure as poo poo implied she was going to be. Also hello Raffi/Seven romance, I guess. lol, Chakotay was so bland as a person he ruined all men for Seven romantically.

If Data is 1000% dead now then I hope they at least bring Alton back in the future now that he’s proven himself to be Not Evil and (as far as we know) not Lore.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also, for what it's worth, I think the RLM reviews feel like they barely even paid attention to anything in the show.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Also, for what it's worth, I think the RLM reviews feel like they barely even paid attention to anything in the show.

I tuned out about 9 minutes in to their first review when they pretended Picard and Data weren't obviously friends during the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I like their humour and Best of the Worst is one of the best things on YouTube, but Mike and Rich find ways to somehow be both incredibly micro-detail pedantic AND intellectually lazy when talking about Trek. I got better things to do with my time than watch a pair of tired old hacks be miserable about the fact that people who were born the day TNG went off the air are now old enough to have kids of their own or some poo poo.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I like their humour and Best of the Worst is one of the best things on YouTube, but Mike and Rich find ways to somehow be both incredibly micro-detail pedantic AND intellectually lazy when talking about Trek. I got better things to do with my time than watch a pair of tired old hacks be miserable about the fact that people who were born the day TNG went off the air are now old enough to have kids of their own or some poo poo.

You post on a dead forum, you do not have better things to do.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
RLM are on level of next rando having an opinion on Trek. No insult to randos intended.

Plot devices galore:

-I kinda hoped ms. "kill my lover" would use the magic pen on Picard to remove his bad condition right on the bridge. Its on par with B5's execution machine that cures everything.
-I never knew I loved seeing Riker so much. From standby officer to a commander of whole fleet of best Fed ships in a single request thou...
-Data's speech was bad. Like utterly bad and un-treky. And whyyyyy. I wouldn't like my usb stick be disconnected from the universe when Im only like 50. Still was a nice fan service touch.
-I hoped along with saving JLPee with magic pen they would copy Data's consciousness into that new body. Would have been better use than that.
-Wonder how bad the writing will be if SirPatSTew dies (I really hope he doesn't but we all know that The Man is old :()somewhere in season 25 and they will have to 'alter' his synth body off screen to a new actor.

-Most of the cast and scenes were filler. Like, actually bad filler roles for people. The whole arc could be condensed into a single movie and it would turn out great without all the filler elements and pointless fan service 'buildups' as with Seven and Riker.
Damnit Babylon 5's Garibaldi ex that was on screen for less than 10 minutes in 5 seasons had more impact on whole plot than Raffi or Jurati or Elnor or Seven or Hugh or Narissa or Dahj. Fucks sake.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 26, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

You post on a dead forum, you do not have better things to do.

Motherfucker I moderate a dead forum! :kheldragar:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean you might not like Nemesis, but this is the end point of Picard and Data's relationship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXbtCInWks

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Feels like they grabbed the Avenger class design from STO- https://images.app.goo.gl/yN6BjRtH45tNGDnK8

Yeah, they felt ugly, but a specific kind of STO ugly, so I kinda liked it? It's me, I'm the guy who cheers when I see something I recognize on screen.

Favorite moment: Picard correcting Jurati just as I was about to scream at the screen about the stupid writers getting the details of the Picard maneuver wrong...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I will say, for all the faults of the show, it had some fun moments early on, and the scene of Hugh and Picard in the cube infirmary was probably the best character moment Picard has had since the pull out shot at the end of All Good Things.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, they felt ugly, but a specific kind of STO ugly, so I kinda liked it? It's me, I'm the guy who cheers when I see something I recognize on screen.

Favorite moment: Picard correcting Jurati just as I was about to scream at the screen about the stupid writers getting the details of the Picard maneuver wrong...

Between Discovery and Picard now, it's clear the people doing design/graphics just really hate the idea of Star Trek ships. I mean I guess they're doing it for a nice paycheck, but sad that any of the dozens of completely run of the mill Trek fans with blender are able to make better stuff.

Like STO has a ton of bad designs, but also has easily 10 better Fed designs to pick from (and all their "modern updates" of the Discovery models are so much nicer) and as many Romulan ones too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did they just use one model for all the federation ships? It felt like everywhere I looked I saw the same ship, to the point I thought they were making more holograms.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Nice to see the synths shop for lamps at Ikea

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kingtheninja posted:

Did they just use one model for all the federation ships? It felt like everywhere I looked I saw the same ship, to the point I thought they were making more holograms.

Riker says that he is commanding the most powerful Federation ship ever built and that he has a whole fleet of them behind him so I guess they were all the same. They were very ugly - I would get the ugliness if they made a big fleet of multiple ship designs as they wouldn't have much time to make that many different ships but it was the same model copy and pasted and looked like it had less than 5000 polygons.

Plus - I hate hate hate hate that ships just go from stand still to warp now. The swooping of the Galaxy as it moved and then flashed into warp speed was beautiful, why can't big starships move anymore? The best looking starship on screen this whole show was the Galaxy in the first episode so it's not like the team can't do this, they are choosing to be lazy.

Also - hahaha Narek just disappears and his sister was completely pointless throughout the entire show - I really hope Chabon got sidelined or he isn't nearly as good at making shows as people thought.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 26, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Somehow even less than I was expecting, "a failure of imagination" indeed.

Good night goons, that was wretched and I've got no energy to bother talking about it tonight.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
"General, or Commodore, or whatever the hell you're calling yourself now -- I'm sitting on the bridge of the most expensive Tier 6 Lock Box ship that Starfleet has ever rolled for, and I've got a fleet of them at my back."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

"General, or Commodore, or whatever the hell you're calling yourself now -- I'm sitting on the bridge of the most expensive Tier 6 Lock Box ship that Starfleet has ever rolled for, and I've got a fleet of them at my back."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/XCnvHcc.mp4

right click show controls if you still don't know how to use an mp4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was 15 minutes of really touching Star Trek book-ended by 45 minutes of literally the dumbest thing I have ever watched on TV

Notable exceptions:
Acting Captain William motherfuckin T motherfucking Riker

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 26, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They had a whole season and all the cool toys of modern TV, and even had Patrick Stewart giving a poo poo about what he was doing, and they couldn't make a story that cracks the top 10 of TNG episodes. Amazing work.

That didn't even crack the "Weseley stepped on the flowers" episode

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I guess we're going back to the TOS-era of 'Starfleet has only one class of ship'

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Angry Salami posted:

All the good looking ships were made at Utopia Planitia.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lots of correct thoughts.

I was going to write something up, but you summed up basically all of my thoughts exactly, so there's not much point.

All I'll say is that I was not liking most of the episode, but the Picard and Data scene really hit me in the emotional feels, so that was at least well done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

All the good looking ships were made at Utopia Planitia.

They need to hire Alex Jaeger back. That man could design some baller starships.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone have a screen grab? I want to see the bad ships.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I fully admit I probably wasn't paying that much attention last week, but where did that magic repair tool plot device thingie come from?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I fully admit I probably wasn't paying that much attention last week, but where did that magic repair tool plot device thingie come from?

The synth girl who got stabbed in the eye gave it to them to repair their ship.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Guess she should have held onto it to fix her eye.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Guess she should have held onto it to fix her eye.

lmao

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Martytoof posted:

Notable exceptions:
Acting Captain William motherfuckin T motherfucking Riker

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have you ever been pressed back into service by an old friend?

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
I imagine Troi acting just like Laris when Riker said he was going into space.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Martytoof posted:

Have you ever been pressed back into service by an old friend?

:golfclap:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I didn't remember this either. I honestly thought Raffi was offering Rios her pipe in an effort to "open his mind" so he could fix the ship. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kazy posted:

I didn't remember this either. I honestly thought Raffi was offering Rios her pipe in an effort to "open his mind" so he could fix the ship. :v:

I 100% thought the same thing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So overall how would you guys rate the season out of 10? How does it fit amongst the other shows?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

piratepilates posted:

So overall how would you guys rate the season out of 10? How does it fit amongst the other shows?

5/10, it maybe fits with the movies (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It was okay. It follows the tradition of many first Star Trek seasons being relatively mediocre and things picking up afterwards.

I echo the sentiment that season 2 will be better. I’d give it a 5 or a 6.