Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Sandra quit, but in the least meaningful and most understandable way possible. If she wasn't in the game then she and I have that in common, and I'm sitting on my couch watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Man what a bummer the last oldschool player went out. I think it's so divisive among the fanbase because there are ~half of us who have watched from the beginning so our Survivor "youth" was filled with these players, while there's another ~half of the fanbase who came in mid-way and just have more of their early Survivor experience with these newer winners. Nothing wrong with either, but I definitely think it's why half of us are super bummed at how the season is likely to turn out.

Still a lot of potential for great winners though, in my book - just way more potential for a poo poo winner than I had hoped for at the merge point. Only real duds that have been voted out were Amber and Danni who were, mercifully, voted out early, but the rest is basically a who's who of entertainment. I mean the best part of yesterday's episode was the Rob shenanigans on EoE.

We can still get a Jeremy, Denise, Tony, or Sophie win but man would an Adam, Ben, Wendell, Nick, Sarah, Kim, or even to a certain extent Michele win be a real bummer. Before this week I'd have even included Michele in that first group but her siding with Wendell after he was such a dick to her shows me that she's just seeking his approval too much and has given away her agency. Unless there's something they're not showing us like that they still have a great relationship and are playing up the "break-up", but they've said in confessional that their relationship ended poorly so there's no reason for them to lie in confessional.

It would be kinda cool if Sophie won though because that'd mean the 2 seasons I did the OP for, she won.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Max posted:

I do think Sandra was legit bothered by Rob lying to her about returning for season 40 during their time on IoI, and wonder if she was staring down the barrel of having to be with him on top of simply never being someone who could win a challenge.

This assumes that the whole "I can't believe he didn't tell me he was coming back!" thing is legit, which I doubt. She's not that great of an actress and was trying to sell it way too hard in the early episodes. Absent a scene where she confronts him, either on EoE (which I imagine they'd have shown if it happened) or at the reunion or whatever, I'm of the belief that it was shtick.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

This assumes that the whole "I can't believe he didn't tell me he was coming back!" thing is legit, which I doubt. She's not that great of an actress and was trying to sell it way too hard in the early episodes. Absent a scene where she confronts him, either on EoE (which I imagine they'd have shown if it happened) or at the reunion or whatever, I'm of the belief that it was shtick.

I mean, if you think she was lying in her confessional, sure.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can’t remember hating someone on this show as much as I hate Wendell right now.

The conversations with Michele reveal a lot about him, unfortunately. It’s kinda gross to watch.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
He's just being real. Let him be real right now.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Yeah at this point barring a return player, I think I'm rooting for Denise. That move was just so...... ballsy and beautiful

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can’t remember hating someone on this show as much as I hate Wendell right now.

The conversations with Michele reveal a lot about him, unfortunately. It’s kinda gross to watch.

must have been nice to not watch Varner in game changers or that fuckin grabby creep from last season

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Vernacular posted:

He was fully certain that the two people who did not have an idol had an idol, while never suspecting the person who actually has it.

Adam's getting such a "look at this goofus" edit. I'd wager that he frequently said "I'm sure Sophie, Ben or Sarah have the idol" and it was edited down to "I'm sure Ben or Sarah have the idol" just to make him look dumber.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I know Yul was overplaying but it still makes no sense to me to vote him out instead of Wendell. Wendell has been advertising his lack of loyalty and mercenary nature, as well as being an rear end, for at least the last couple weeks. Yul was overplaying but the "Yul might get too good later but he will work with us" seems a lot better than "Wendell will sell us out the moment a better deal comes along" (not to mention the way Wendell is treating them).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wendell's behaving like a total rear end but I think obviously his relationship with Michelle is just toxic as gently caress (and she's handled it badly as well, although not nearly as bad as Wendell). I don't know if Wendell's "real person" is shining through or if its just the wrong relationship or what but either way I don't like him very much right now. But he's definitely not in my top 10 of most hated or anything.

I think Sarah, Sophie, Denise, and Michelle right now are playing the best games from our perspective. Any of them feel like they have agency and momentum at this stage. Jeremy is a favorite of mine but he hasn't done a lot so far, but that's probably a lesson he learned from his first season so he could still well turn on his game. Its early so any of Kim, Tony, Ben, Adam, even Wendell, or anyone else I'm forgetting could easily turn things around though and get in the winning ways. I'm still a little bummed Yul is gone because I was loving him and it hurt juxtaposed against Wendell being a brat but I'm not actually down on the season.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oof.

I'm going to have to be convinced on why keeping Wendell was a smart decision. He's mouthy, he's impatient, he's defensive. Like yeah Yul is possibly a bit more inflexible... but from his season you also know that he's intensely loyal and he's great at working from the bottom. He's a perfect ally to have until late in the game.

I gotta assume they just saw Yul as too much of a win threat and Wendell as basically a guy sabotaging his own game who would remain a target. Maybe its something else entirely but that makes the most sense to me. I don't really agree with it but its the best I got.

GuavaMoment posted:

Adam's getting such a "look at this goofus" edit. I'd wager that he frequently said "I'm sure Sophie, Ben or Sarah have the idol" and it was edited down to "I'm sure Ben or Sarah have the idol" just to make him look dumber.

On the other hand, he's kind of a goofus.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah this. In this season at least, there have been more detestable people than Wendell in other seasons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oof.

I'm going to have to be convinced on why keeping Wendell was a smart decision. He's mouthy, he's impatient, he's defensive. Like yeah Yul is possibly a bit more inflexible... but from his season you also know that he's intensely loyal and he's great at working from the bottom. He's a perfect ally to have until late in the game.

I think you just laid out the exact case for why. Nick and Michele even said it when they were deciding: Yul will win the game if he gets to the end.

With the merge coming I feel like the two of them will be able to pull in Sophie and Sara with Ben and Wendell as hangers on and bang that's a pretty good six.

Also the similarities so far of Nick's edit/game this time and his first season are incredible and I can definitely see him winning again right now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think you just laid out the exact case for why. Nick and Michele even said it when they were deciding: Yul will win the game if he gets to the end.

With the merge coming I feel like the two of them will be able to pull in Sophie and Sara with Ben and Wendell as hangers on and bang that's a pretty good six.

Also the similarities so far of Nick's edit/game this time and his first season are incredible and I can definitely see him winning again right now.

Yul's aligned with Sophie though, so it's not like keeping him excludes Sophie and Sarah. It gives you a firmer core.

Merge dynamics are going to be real interesting. I think original tribe dynamics are probably too muddied for it to be Sele vs. Dakal. Each post-swap tribe is fairly tight.... except Adam, so he could be the easy 'nobody is gonna complain' vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sophie WAS aligned with Yul, Nick, and Wendell so like she might not be pumped that Nick and Wendell just voted out Yul. Maybe that's easy to spin as Yul starting it by targeting Wendell but who knows?

Yeah, Adam feels dangerously isolated for an easy first vote post merge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Adam is obnoxious
Wendell seems like a total rear end in a top hat that is usually good at hiding it to the outside world

Sandra exited the game at a designated escape hatch, and it was 99.9999% the best move for her. I don't see it as "quitting" - I think the connotation is wrong. Imagning her running after those fire tokens is just ridiculous. The sit out bench is now the Sandra Bench. Once her Ma Beagle act failed, she was done and she new it.

LMFAO at Rob getting three tokens. He scouted, he planned, he ran, and the portly chap did it!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yul's aligned with Sophie though, so it's not like keeping him excludes Sophie and Sarah. It gives you a firmer core.

So is Wendell.

It says a lot that Michele was able to get through last night without even being an option.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I blocked most of S38 from my brain—didn't the edit and Jeff rail hard against Wendy/Keith from qutting EoE? Though the scenario here is pretty different, Sandra is well aware of everyone on the island and knows drat well she can't beat them unless it's strictly a puzzle.

I'm really enjoying Michele this season. I admit I thought she didn't deserve to win back then and she's proving herself. Plus this Wendell bullshit is hitting close to home.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shneak posted:

I blocked most of S38 from my brain—didn't the edit and Jeff rail hard against Wendy/Keith from qutting EoE? Though the scenario here is pretty different, Sandra is well aware of everyone on the island and knows drat well she can't beat them unless it's strictly a puzzle.

It was at least after the merge challenge and I don't remember anyone that mattered giving them poo poo but I might be painting over what actually happened with my own opinions?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't remember much poo poo being given outside of them only needing to stay like another day to be on the Jury

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to say they were pretty soft on both "quitting" but Keith came off worse because he had some stuff about how this was his dream and all he wanted. Wendy on the other hand seemed a lot less into it and put out by the whole experience so it wasnt that surprising she quit. But I could be misremembering.

On a fundamental level you can't say "here, you can choose to leave" and then be an rear end in a top hat about them taking it. I mean you can but then you're an rear end in a top hat setting people up. Its not the same thing as just randomly deciding you want out.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

must have been nice to not watch Varner in game changers or that fuckin grabby creep from last season

I had blocked the whole Dan thing out, honestly.

Both of those guys are worse than Wendell. I had just finished watching the episode and Wendell’s abusive behavior toward Michele just rubbed me super wrong.

Also, I don’t think people are factoring in that Sandra was also gone for the entirety of the previous season. Even if she wasn’t playing the game, I’d imagine being away from home that long is very stressful.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 26, 2020

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I feel like Island of the Idols probably burned Sandra out as well. She couldn't wait to get away from there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think its being underappreciated that Sandra was out there for an extra month. So like I get that she was just over it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sandra was certainly well compensated for her appearances in both seasons, and I doubt the appearance fee for S40 required her to participate on EoE.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I don't have a problem with Sandra leaving, the only real question was whether Ethan was going to join her after that scene with Parvati. I think that scene had to be set-up for something, since it took up a good chunk of time. Either Ethan raising the mast in a future episode... or it's a nice chunk of winner content.

I do think it's easier to underplay the Edge as just 'oh, hang out with the jury for 20+ days' but there's been testimonies on how dull it gets out there. You're literally waking up, having nothing to do but see the same faces that you're probably already a little sick of, make some rice, maybe do a little fishing, and pray for a challenge or something to give you something to do. All that downtime means that your mind wanders and you start to question why you're out here being away from family and friends for so long.

Sandra sticking it out til the end means about 60+ days out on Survivor, with only a two week stint in between to see family after she left IoI. At least Rob has his wife out there. Also, while I'm sure Ethan is lovely company and Danni/Natalie are pleasant enough, Sandra wasn't too happy with Rob and I think there's probably a tiny bit of tension between her and Parvati. So can't blame her for noping out from another half of the game with them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm happy to take the Ethan scene for just what it appeared to be on the surface. An emotional and powerful moment that showcased the humanity of the game and players.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

your mind wanders and you start to question why you're out here being away from family and friends for so long.

If actually seeing them sooner was an option, that'd be different.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yul )=

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Bloop posted:

If actually seeing them sooner was an option, that'd be different.

I think you get to call your loved ones at least at Ponderosa, right? Subject to NDAs and all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you get to call your loved ones at least at Ponderosa, right? Subject to NDAs and all.

Sandra might not be on the jury though (I really hope she's on the jury)

3peat
May 6, 2010

I was almost convinced before this episode that Wendell and Michelle had a preshow alliance and planned to act like they hate eachother so they wouldn't become targets, but this episode straight out cemented it by the hilarious theater they were playing.
On one hand I think he keeps the act better, but he also hams it up a little too much like in this episode when he went all why are you schooling me, I'm playing my own game etc in front of Yul, and someone smarter than Yul would have figured out they were putting on a show for him. On the other hand she's more subtle with the charade but she lets it slip sometimes, and she keeps giving hip the puppy in love eyes.
I wonder who's gonna be the first to figure out waait a minute, these two despise eachother so why is everyone else getting voted out somehow? Huh? Hmm??

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I'm pretty sure they finished casting in early March but they're still running the "go audition!" bumper when i'm assuming they're delaying everything due to covid-19 anyway. I wasn't eligible until this past friday and figured I missed the window but might as well throw them a tape, i guess?

3peat posted:

I was almost convinced before this episode that Wendell and Michelle had a preshow alliance and planned to act like they hate eachother so they wouldn't become targets, but this episode straight out cemented it by the hilarious theater they were playing.

Yeah, I've come around on this and I now think it's great

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I have to say, I was shocked to see Sandra quit immediately after arriving to the Edge of Extinction. What was behind her decision, and what sort of impact does this have on her Survivor legacy?

JEFF PROBST: I’m surprised that you were shocked. We named the challenge sit-out bench the “Sandra bench!” There was 0.0 chance that Sandra was going to win a challenge against the group of players already assembled on the Edge. We all know that Sandra does what Sandra wants, and Sandra wanted to go home. I don’t think it changes her legacy in any way. Sandra is a legend. She is connected to so many iconic Survivor moments.

lol thats what I thought

here's the rest:

JEFF PROBST: When we are casting new players, Sandra is often referenced as an inspiration for why people want to play because she showed you could win this game even if you’re not a physical player. And Sandra did one other thing for the past 16 years… she said yes every single time we called. I wouldn’t even get the words out and she would say, “YES! Whatever it is, YES!” I’m not exaggerating. She had no idea what we were going to ask, she didn’t care. She always said, “Survivor has been good to me, and I’ll be here whenever you need me.” So after 16 years, if Sandra is done, I’m good with that. Goodbye to a true one-name Survivor icon. And now… who will be the second two-time winner?

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: This was one of the closest challenge finishes in Survivor history between Dakal and Sele for second place in the immunity competition. Looks like there was just enough time for you to call this one, but what do you all do in the event of a seemingly simultaneous finish? I know you have spotters out there to help you keep track of things. Is it solely your call and what you see? Do you rely on spotters? Have you ever had to go the video footage to confirm anything?

JEFF PROBST: That was truly exciting because you could feel their collective energy. Both tribes knew the other was close to finishing. As far as rules, we don’t use video. We do have spotters watching different aspects of every challenge for fairness, but the ultimate in-game decision is mine. If I have any question, I immediately look to John Kirhoffer and Matt Van Wagenen for confirmation. If they overrule me, then I would go with their opinion. And if we thought it was a tie, we would go to our tiebreaker, which we have for every challenge. But, to be clear, 99.9% of challenges are called in the moment with no consultation because there is almost always enough of a difference to easily see the winner.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Yul seemed to have every single angle of this game figured out. In the end, was that what got him voted out, the fact that he did not do a better job of hiding the fact that he was always considering so many angles?

JEFF PROBST: I don’t think you can blame Yul for anything specific regarding his gameplay. The other players already know his strength at analyzing and his ability to run numbers. I’m really enjoying watching him work again. He is so calm and so unemotional (for the most part) about his decision-making process. But I think he was simply the next player to be voted out. He’s a threat, for sure, but every single player in the game is a threat. We’ve never been able to say that before! There are no holes. There is no easy vote. And with Edge of Extinction in play, Yul has strong odds to get back in the game at the return challenge. He is a legit challenge threat with his physical and mental abilities.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: We have now, after Natalie, seen the following people voted out: Amber, Danni, Ethan, Tyson, Rob, Parvati, Sandra, Yul — meaning every single old-schooler has been kicked to the curb. What does that say about the game so far?

JEFF PROBST: It’s hard to know for sure, but I look at two big ideas to explain the old-schoolers being gone. The first is the celebrity that players like Rob, Sandra, Parvati, Tyson bring with them. These are gigantic Survivor names. They’ve had nearly 20 years of Survivor fame and adulation. And they’re villains! Fans love to love them or love to hate them. So there might have been a bit of “they’ve had their day in the sun” that laid some foundation.

The other big idea is that the newer players know they play a faster game and might have realized we can take out a huge chunk of old-school players simply by deciding that’s what we want to do. And they don’t appear to be wrong in their assessment. We saw Rob try to use his old smothering tactics and Parvati unable to cross party lines to make a deal with Wendell as examples of old-school type of play. There is no need to have pity for the old-school players. This is Survivor. They knew this was a likely scenario. Reason #876 that we have the Edge of Extinction this season. Everybody gets at least one shot to get back in the game!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: ...What can you tell us about next week’s episode?

JEFF PROBST: It’s not just the merge… it’s the Get Back In The Game challenge! And it’s dramatic!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

JEFF PROBST: It’s not just the merge… it’s the Get Back In The Game challenge! And it’s dramatic!!

I was wondering if that was going to be the case, this is when they did the first returning challenge last time as well

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you need more evidence that Ethan is a precious bean, he wrote postcards to his mom while he was on the Edge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ambaah :laffo:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dude handwriting like he's an NPC in a videogame leaving behind mementos for the player to uncover.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you need more evidence that Ethan is a precious bean, he wrote postcards to his mom while he was on the Edge.

source??

found them on his twitter, along with this gem

https://twitter.com/EthanZohn/status/1240640973140627456

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

literally Ethan

https://twitter.com/EthanZohn/status/1242798418067677187