Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

ASAPI posted:

A bunch of people in my neighborhood are making masks and face shield holders, then sending them to the local hospital. All the local distilleries are making hand sanitizer.

Meanwhile, my sister in-law is sending my wife video clips of tanks on a train going through LA thinking it means martial law is pending.

In between incessantly calling people sheep, calling COVID fake news, and boasting about his investments, a former medic I served with posted about Abrams tanks rolling into major cities a few days ago, much to the delight of his fellow CHUDS. He never followed up with the details he promised. Shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I mean he's a piece of poo poo and probably does have some connections to drug trafficking, but this isn't really the time to be stirring up poo poo in Venezuela.

trying to morality police Venezuela is dumb as gently caress considering what the entire rest of the world does, especially our own loving allies like Saudi Arabia or Israel.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PookBear posted:

trying to morality police Venezuela is dumb as gently caress considering what the entire rest of the world does, especially our own loving allies like Saudi Arabia or Israel.

eh Maduro is pretty actively terrible even by those extremely low standards imo (though more due to corruption and incompetence than straight-up genocidal maliciousness like the two examples you mentioned), but charging with anything is both dumb as gently caress and should be the administration's absolute last priority right now.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Jarmak posted:

After a breather to think about this I don't want to stand behind this argument, not the least of which because I don't feel good about making an argument that something isn't rape.

Regardless of accuracy of applying that label I think people were/are using it in a flippant manner with the specific intent of eliciting emotions drawn from older, less inclusive, ways people used the word rape. That's what really makes me upset because when people are high-fiving each other about being able to put "Joe the rapist" on Twitter it feels like a bad faith cheapening of horrible traumatic events to score messaging points.

I think I jumped on to whether to call it rape because I was angry and searching for an actual piece of content to argue with. I think I have a bit of a blind spot here because of personal connections to this issue that makes me fly off the handle without enough consideration of different kinds of victims and maybe for that reason I should avoid this topic.

This is a good post. Your earlier one resonated with me for reasons. It's a really difficult topic to keep civil.

Just wanted to give you props for coming back to it after reflecting, not enough people do that.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1243204826399301632?s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Really sick of CSPAM fuckwits throwing the word "rape" and "rapist" around for political points like it's a bonus word score multiplier for sexual misconduct.

Have any of you actually had someone recount even a non-violent rape to you? Experienced someone crying because they want to have sex but can't stop having flashbacks when they try?

The behavior described is atrocious, entitled, and an egregious example of both sexual harassment and why affirmative consent is important. But by her story he clearly expected reciprocation and stopped when she expressed non consent.

If you don't understand why that last bit makes a really really big difference you should shut the gently caress up about this topic and stop trivializing horrible traumatic poo poo so you can sound cool in front of your Bernie friends.

I hope you make the same excuses when your boss shoves his old fingers in your rear end and said he heard you wanted it.

You don't know how it affected her, and you are downplaying her trauma because it didn't fit YOUR definition. He raped her with his fingers.

He shoved his old loving claw up a lady's skirt, without permission while holding her against a wall. Without consent.

Any unwanted sexual contact can traumatize to the point of your stated example. You don't need a dick to rape. You don't need penetration to rape.

Nearly every woman I've ever had in my life has been sexually assaulted. You can go gently caress yourself, you apologist piece of poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

But Steve, you wouldn't shut up about unemployment when it was low!?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

brains posted:

people say trump is going to win because half the loving country has been so thoroughly poisoned with propaganda that they will vote for him no matter how bad things get. he's at 55% approval rating right now, for fucks sake, at the time of his clearest, most objective failure and while the country is falling off a cliff. and because of our hosed up election system, two republican presidents in a row won by losing the popular vote.

the democratic nominee is practically irrelevant; someone said it earlier- even the most unpopular democrat alive still won the popular vote. the problem is structural.

If you wanna break down how Trump won in 2016, he won by around 90K votes in key electoral college states. Rachel Bitecofer put it best that he basically won with the equivalent of a royal flush and it's not something that is going to to easily replicate itself again. Pretending that he's this unstoppable juggernaut is just as stupid as pretending that he's toast in November no matter who the dem nominee is.

The 50% poll you're referring to is also misleading as it only asked people how they thought he was handling the crisis as of the beginning of last week. Not if they would vote for him. This is literally a "rally around the flag" moment and the fact he can only muster around 50% should be concerning him and his team. I doubt it stays that high in the coming weeks/months.

If you want to chicken little and scream "He's gonna win, we're doomed" at every turn instead of giving even the minimalist of effort to try unseat him, go somewhere else. It's just as much the Dems race to lose as it is his.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There are structural issues to be fore, but never forget that Trump's victory in 2016 was extremely narrow. He can be beaten. And that approval rating is just for his handling of the crisis-his weighted approval by 548 is still in the negatives, and he's received a historically low bump for his handling of the crisis.

Election day is still seven months away. Much can change until then. No victory or loss is guaranteed.

Thank you, said it better than I could.

Jarmak posted:

After a breather to think about this I don't want to stand behind this argument, not the least of which because I don't feel good about making an argument that something isn't rape.

Regardless of accuracy of applying that label I think people were/are using it in a flippant manner with the specific intent of eliciting emotions drawn from older, less inclusive, ways people used the word rape. That's what really makes me upset because when people are high-fiving each other about being able to put "Joe the rapist" on Twitter it feels like a bad faith cheapening of horrible traumatic events to score messaging points.

I think I jumped on to whether to call it rape because I was angry and searching for an actual piece of content to argue with. I think I have a bit of a blind spot here because of personal connections to this issue that makes me fly off the handle without enough consideration of different kinds of victims and maybe for that reason I should avoid this topic.
This is a good post and I appreciate it cause I have similar feelings. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I hope you make the same excuses when your boss shoves his old fingers in your rear end and said he heard you wanted it.

You don't know how it affected her, and you are downplaying her trauma because it didn't fit YOUR definition. He raped her with his fingers.

He shoved his old loving claw up a lady's skirt, without permission while holding her against a wall. Without consent.

Any unwanted sexual contact can traumatize to the point of your stated example. You don't need a dick to rape. You don't need penetration to rape.

Nearly every woman I've ever had in my life has been sexually assaulted. You can go gently caress yourself, you apologist piece of poo poo.

Maybe get caught up before posting.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Maybe get caught up before posting.

Thank you, my bad.

I missed some posts in refreshing somehow.

Jamak, I apologize.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

As a palate cleanser, have a compilation of Italian mayors losing their poo poo at people violating shelter in place orders.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e798776c5b6f5b7c54a03c4/amp

My man!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Nearly every woman I've ever had in my life has been sexually assaulted.

Uhhhhhhhhhh :staredog:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh :staredog:

Do I really need to add to not by me?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://abc7news.com/6044429/

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thank you, my bad.

I missed some posts in refreshing somehow.

Jamak, I apologize.

No need, I'm sorry if my words downplayed something horrible that happened to someone you care about, your anger at me was well deserved and I would feel the same way.

I was angry and I expressed it in a very inconsiderate way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Do I really need to add to not by me?

I think it is a little odd that you felt the need to point out you were intimate with these women instead of just saying "many women I know have confided to me that they've been victimized like this". Pointing out that your sexual partners have been prior victims of sexual assault seems a bit crass and irrelevant.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I think it is a little odd that you felt the need to point out you were intimate with these women instead of just saying "many women I know have confided to me that they've been victimized like this". Pointing out that your sexual partners have been prior victims of sexual assault seems a bit crass and irrelevant.

I think/hope that "...that I've had in my life" in this instance is meant to parsed as "...that have existed in my life" as in, "I had a birthday"

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

What a weird turn this thread has taken. Coronavirus is getting to everyone.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm filling in for TF today so I'm authorized to make this post on his behalf

"Post Monty"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I think/hope that "...that I've had in my life" in this instance is meant to parsed as "...that have existed in my life" as in, "I had a birthday"

This.
Best friends. Just friends. Stopped a good friend from killing herself because her rapist convinced her she cheated, was damaged goods, and no one will love her. Both wives. Mom, sister, grandmother. Both Aunts.

What's the statistic? 3/5 women will be sexually assaulted in their lives.

I got a little heated, and I'm sorry.

We've all been clumsy with words and poo poo, and i missed the clarification, and also let my anger carry me away too much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

You really ought to stop trying to shame people into voting for a rapist. And no, the other guy being a bigger rapist is not good enough. I'm not voting for the lesser of two rapists.

You already made it clear you didn't want to vote for Biden.

Trump's numbers are improving through all this. The question you really need to ask is who would you prefer in the White House for the next four years. Biden should probably never actually be that guy (I agree with you, and I agreed with you even before this allegation was brought up), but it's literally him or Trump. Fortunately you have another eight months to decide.

I'm not trying to shame you. Your conscience should take care of that after Trump handily wins reelection because we live in the Star Trek mirror universe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BurningChrome posted:

So why did you quote me and try to shame me into voting for a rapist whose track record (pre rape accusation) the "opposition party" undoubtedly knew about, since time immemorial, and is obv cool with. To the point of sabotaging their own chances of winning an election to prop this dizzy oval office up. Trump must not be that big a deal if you are free, white, and 21 (s/o to Paul Mooney for putting me on).

I'll stick to backing AOC out here, in MY blue state, post primary after casting my vote. I have to worry about burying my mother in the near future, not the far future, because of this pandemic. People are already burying their loved ones and we aren't even remotely done with the poo poo. You want me to support a weak leader, produced by a weak party? Please godholio, tell me what's the difference in that choice? One will kill us all outright, the other will be polite while doing it. The gently caress's the difference.

There is no room for the current Democratic party in our society anymore. Either it changes to reflect the needs of the people or it fails. Hopefully it is taken over and made into something else, something better, but I'm not holding my breath yet. The show ain't over but it looks like they wanna go down with the ship to the country's detriment. So be it is what I gotta say to that. And gently caress your pissant candidate is what I'll say with both my votes. One for bernie, none for biden, and none for trump. This bullshit was the last straw for me, I was down to be pragmatic up until this.

I'll put in some papers at the courthouse and change my name to the whitest sounding bullshit I can think of. Because lol, here we loving go again.

I actually meant to quote Roboto. :lol:

BurningChrome posted:

For the record: I woulda voted Biden in the general before today. Gargle my balls Godholio, you ain't about poo poo boy. Quoted incase of further edits.

Oh, ok. gently caress you then, whoever you are.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 26, 2020

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

We'll put them back to work digging graves.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'll vote biden if it comes to it but only because RBG is most def gonna die soon and there is a chance Breyer does too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ASAPI posted:

A bunch of people in my neighborhood are making masks and face shield holders, then sending them to the local hospital. All the local distilleries are making hand sanitizer.

Meanwhile, my sister in-law is sending my wife video clips of tanks on a train going through LA thinking it means martial law is pending.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I also did approximately a quadruple take between ways to interpret that sentence.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah people freaking out over seeing military equipment on trains has been a mildly amusing distraction.

Like it's a thing that literally happens all the time, but because of the current situation, people are suddenly noticing it and freaking the gently caress out.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah people freaking out over seeing military equipment on trains has been a mildly amusing distraction.

Like it's a thing that literally happens all the time, but because of the current situation, people are suddenly noticing it and freaking the gently caress out.

It's really funny out here, there are 3 major military installations within 100 miles of Kansas City not to mention all of the guard and reserve units and people are flipping out about "seeing convoys"

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm filling in for TF today so I'm authorized to make this post on his behalf

"Post Monty"

My desk is next to my bed so he’s been laying here while I work.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I have literally been in the situation depicted in this image. The situation is made worse by those piece of poo poo trucks having to climb hills.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if he was wearing his ppe and blouse he wouldn't have been loving lost

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
The guy who always wears those "DOW 25000" etc hats has coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/most-photographed-wall-street-trader-peter-tuchman-has-coronavirus/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I really want a dow 25000 hat

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Flikken posted:

It's really funny out here, there are 3 major military installations within 100 miles of Kansas City not to mention all of the guard and reserve units and people are flipping out about "seeing convoys"

My wife's family started getting on that too, as well as "Well, the looters are coming!" cause they saw a video on TV of some guy smashing a window to grab a cash register.

"If there's gonna be looting, they're going to Target, not your house in the middle of nowhere."
"Yeah but I saw a man on the TV throw a rock through a gas station window to steal a register!"
"Doesn't that kind of thing happen all the time even without the virus?"
"...yes."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope all the dumbass preppers start shooting each other.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

but it's literally him or Trump

This is where you're wrong. The DNC can choose to run literally anyone else. Even if he gets the majority of primary votes, which he hasn't even reached at this point.

And yeah, my conscience will be perfectly fine for not voting for a rapist (D).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/politics/coronavirus-cases-us-aircraft-carrier/index.html

quote:

There are now 23 sailors who have tested positive for the coronavirus aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, just two days after the Pentagon announced that three sailors aboard the ship had tested positive for the virus, a Navy official has confirmed to CNN.

:captainpop:

brains
May 12, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

If you wanna break down how Trump won in 2016, he won by around 90K votes in key electoral college states. Rachel Bitecofer put it best that he basically won with the equivalent of a royal flush and it's not something that is going to to easily replicate itself again. Pretending that he's this unstoppable juggernaut is just as stupid as pretending that he's toast in November no matter who the dem nominee is.

The 50% poll you're referring to is also misleading as it only asked people how they thought he was handling the crisis as of the beginning of last week. Not if they would vote for him. This is literally a "rally around the flag" moment and the fact he can only muster around 50% should be concerning him and his team. I doubt it stays that high in the coming weeks/months.

If you want to chicken little and scream "He's gonna win, we're doomed" at every turn instead of giving even the minimalist of effort to try unseat him, go somewhere else. It's just as much the Dems race to lose as it is his.

i understand the conditions of the last election, and i'm hardly acting on the assumption that trump's reelection is a certainty. but as you said, right now it's the dem's race to lose, just as 2016 was, and a lot of the reason this sentiment about trump's chances exists around here is because people remember 2016 vividly when we were in this same situation. this attitude you keep seeing is not stemming from a dislike of the current candidate, it's a cold hard reminder of how people consistently underestimated trump.

the democratic campaign doesn't happen in a vacuum. don't think for a second the right wing media isn't gearing up for a 24/7 character assassination campaign against the dem frontrunner, just like they did for hillary. they were caught red-loving-handed laying the groundwork for it last year. how do you think hilary ended up being so historically unpopular in the first place? it certainly wasn't a sole result of her personal actions, or even her campaign's absurd mismanagement. the point is, the margin is so small (due to structural problems) that the potential for a repeat of 2016 does exist, and that's where the pessimism comes from.

they're hosed. all those stainless steel surfaces, forced HVAC, thousands in close quarters. it's going to be cruise ship times 100.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Maybe I’m a spiritual hippy but it wouldn’t take much to convince me that nature and evolution are trying to rid the planet of humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

PookBear posted:

if he was wearing his ppe and blouse he wouldn't have been loving lost

disregard of PPE and uniform regulations is why morale is low, i've been saying it for years