Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
SC progress visualised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvDbr9_d88Q

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

tuo posted:

Just poppin in to say: goddamn Half Life: Alyx!

This is the VR killer app. Too sad it landed in the current time when there are more important things to buy than VR headsets.

But holy poo poo Half Life: Alyx. If I'd be fresh from college, I'd also dream of making something like this!

Yeah it looks the game that is finally going to push me to get into VR, once I build a new gaming PC.

It represents the real future of gaming and has all of fidelity and environmental interactivity that Chris can only dream of as he paddles around the kiddie pool of an 8 year old CryEngine tech demo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

colonelwest posted:

Yeah it looks the game that is finally going to push me to get into VR, once I build a new gaming PC.

It represents the real future of gaming and has all of fidelity and environmental interactivity that Chris can only dream of as he paddles around the kiddie pool of an 8 year old CryEngine tech demo.

Valve saved VR gaming!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thank you, CIG! My Tribute to You.

Excerpts:

:reddit:

sTaR cItiZeN iS a sCaM

First of all, let's be clear here. $275 million is not enough money to make two games. If you don't understand that, maybe you should consider that it took Destiny (one game) $500 million to make. And Destiny, built on existing tech and engines in a stacked studio, doesn't have half the complexity in game engine or tech that the PU (a shaky alpha representation) already displays.

So why is Star Citizen getting chided for having a minimal budget and just as many people? Maybe people are scared that it's shaping up to be the best game in the history of games. Maybe people can't comprehend that CIG doesn't have a big AAA publisher contract backing them (or destroying the very creativity and ambition that draws people to pledge, I might add), or that ship sales and subscribers keep the game development alive and well. Who knows.

Regardless of the reasons, people--who are looking in from the outside and don't have any concept or grasp on the complexity and scope of the project--are attacking. Sometimes personally and aggressively, as we very disgracefully saw in the case of CR and Sandy (I wish I had a source here).

People who don't understand what access to an "in-development" alpha build means come to play what they incorrectly expect to be a bug-free finished game. What's worse is that they see themselves as "pushing CIG," when in reality they're complaining aimlessly about what is clearly stated as an in-development (ie not finished) product. All the while ignoring CIG's constant detailed updates. tHe GaMe iS uNpLaYaBlE Er mEr GeRd. No one said you were playing a finished product. This is akin to pulling your car out of the factory mid build and raging at the workers because it won't drive anywhere. Ignore those people, CIG. The rest of us know better.

And the obligatory:

Don't give up, CIG!
All said and done, I hope you developers at CIG are ignoring the childish and impatient whining and entitlement. Most of us quiet folks are the happy ones--busy playing and loving the crap out of your dream. The few who are the loudest and most upset do not speak for the rest of us.

This project has come a long way in a short time with half the budget. Those of us who haven't and won't lose faith in your awesome work so far are drat proud. Even cartoony and empty No Man's Sky, after almost 9 years of development itself, can't even hold a candle to how awesome SC and SQ42 are looking.

Even in spite of a global threat, you guys still continue to develop from home and pave the way for one of the greatest pair of games of all time.

There is always a wealth of reasonable and useful feedback in Spectrum and Reddit, so I hope those posts don't get lost under the less useful and less informed complaining and bashing.

You guys made it through a ridiculous lawsuit and have laid the groundwork over these last few years for some seriously bad rear end tech. Watching multiple moons come out in a mere month with only a few guys working on them was extremely encouraging, and now there are even more coming in 3.9!

In doing a little bit of reading while finding a couple sources for this post, I saw that even Toy Story was halted by Disney after a rough couple years of production. TOY STORY! One of the most iconic movie series in entertainment history almost didn't make it after two years. They had doubters. You guys have doubters. But know that you also have what John Lasseter and company did not: supportive fans who will continue to back you!

Progress is picking up, and we can tell. poo poo is about to get wild.

So, here's to you, CIG. You guys ARE AWESOME! And we can't wait to see what the future holds for this insane set of games.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol about $350m of that 500m was for marketing

these people are loving delusional hahahahah

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
also destiny took about 4 years to make (2010 to 2014, after a delay)

$150M for development means they spent roughly 35m a year on the actual development of the game, with a massive marketing push 2 months from release and lasting throughout the first games lifespan (marketing is always the most expensive part if you are trying to do ad buys across all media, usually costing twice or three times the games actual development costs)

Activision wanted this as a tentpole franchise lasting at minimum 10 years or 3 games, taking them through to the next console generation

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

colonelwest posted:

I'm always hesitant to call VR the future of gaming, because I think it shouldn't be, imo. It should be a genre everyone can buy into without having to drop a lot of cash, and should offer something that other genres don't. That's why I think Playstation VR was a very good approach, and IIRC Sony said it's happy with the success of it (we'll see of they continue it with the next gen).

As an old guy, I don't want VR to be the future of gaming, but I want VR to be present and good and no longer the expensive nerd-thing. Imo it was a very good decision from Valve to use Half Life - of all IPs - to create a true VR killer app. I'm like three hours in, and it basically perfects so many VR concepts that other games created and iterated on...it's impressive. It even somehow manages to work around the "everything is light as air"-problem which you for example have with the Doom VR thing where every weapon feels like it weighs exactly 0g by giving a nice feedback when you try to push things and give them some kind of resistance that isn't their in the real world.

Graphically, it's also one of the best VR experiences. Playing it on a Vive Pro, I think I never saw better VR graphics at this framerate.

To quote a wise catte:

peter gabriel posted:

It's really fuckin good

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

also destiny took about 4 years to make (2010 to 2014, after a delay)

$150M for development means they spent roughly 35m a year on the actual development of the game, with a massive marketing push 2 months from release and lasting throughout the first games lifespan (marketing is always the most expensive part if you are trying to do ad buys across all media, usually costing twice or three times the games actual development costs)

Activision wanted this as a tentpole franchise lasting at minimum 10 years or 3 games, taking them through to the next console generation

How's that workin' out for them?

MMOs went through the arc that FPS went through. It's the same arc shoot'n'loot is going to go through, we might see VR lumber into the air, but it's still looking for that elusive usability, and *that'll* arc, too.

Then we'll see a revival in sims and strategy games, and I'll need a gun to keep the kids off my lawn.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

I'm always hesitant to call VR the future of gaming, because I think it shouldn't be, imo.

I'm back on the treadmill so I can score better on Space Pirate Trainer.

SEND HELP.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:

sTaR cItiZeN iS a sCaM

First of all, let's be clear here. $275 million is not enough money to make two games.

What i'm hearing then is Citizens should pledge more!

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Here is something to consider given Chronicles winding down amid virus panic: CIG is still posting good funding numbers and shows no signs of slowing down. So either there are people out there spending money on ships during an economic crisis, OR, CIG is still juicing their numbers to keep whatever suckers they still have on the hook confident and spending. Now I could believe the former, but if the latter is the case, CIG is running the risk of flat out running out of cash at any given point with no warning signs whatsoever. Things will be great and videos will be released on a daily basis then one day without warning they close up shop even though the funding tracker says that they're doing fine. That will lead to some hard questions about how they were spending more than they were bringing in (going against what Chris said), how they spent all their padding including the 46 million from Calder, and how they didn't adjust their staff numbers to work with the level of funding that they were showing on the tracker (which would be erroneous because their juiced numbers would mean they had to slash their workforce to a skeleton crew to fit their true budget).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hav posted:

I'm back on the treadmill so I can score better on Space Pirate Trainer.

SEND HELP.

I just literally dropped to the floor like the coward I am, loaded my gun (and actually hoped the game doesn't hear the "clunk" from my controllers...lol), and sneaked up to a headcrab to shoot it really, really dead (just to be sure it's dead-dead) because I saw it's shadow on the wall.

People watching me making a fool of myself also tell me I never said "I don't want to be here" as many times as I did in the last half hour.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Sounds like Elite's carriers will be like player-owned stations. Just mobile.

quote:

- Fleet Carriers have a max jump range of 500LY at one time, with the ability to jump whenever the owner wants, however, they will have a build up and cool down period between jumps.

- You can manage your carrier's finances by setting tariffs and adjusting the buying and selling prices for commodities traded in it's market.

Doesn't SC have some stretch goal for player owned bases? Oh yeah...

quote:

Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.

Man that was just a 19m stretch goal. Should be coming soon!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tuo posted:

I just literally dropped to the floor like the coward I am, loaded my gun (and actually hoped the game doesn't hear the "clunk" from my controllers...lol), and sneaked up to a headcrab to shoot it really, really dead (just to be sure it's dead-dead) because I saw it's shadow on the wall.

People watching me making a fool of myself also tell me I never said "I don't want to be here" as many times as I did in the last half hour.

Is this streamed?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Strangler 42 posted:

Now I could believe the former, but if the latter is the case, CIG is running the risk of flat out running out of cash at any given point with no warning signs whatsoever. Things will be great and videos will be released on a daily basis

Hmm, didn't the video team say they were halting the production of videos for their "quarterly 3 week hiatus"?

:thunk:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is this streamed?

Can't stream, I'm currently clipping into dirty laundry waiting for the next headcrab

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dementropy posted:

:words:
So why is Star Citizen getting chided for having a minimal budget and just as many people?
:downswords:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Hmm, didn't the video team say they were halting the production of videos for their "quarterly 3 week hiatus"?

Always wondered what the hobo did during these periods.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

Wow the super troll himself! Thank you for gracing me with your presents.

So let's see, 8 years to develope 2 games. Carry the 3... Ah yes, 4 years of development for each game. Isn't home schooling fun?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

What did you get him and why didn't I get any?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

Can't stream, I'm currently clipping into dirty laundry waiting for the next headcrab

In today's economy you can't turn down some of that Rule 34 money.

This laundry. Like Photography does it? Like candid shots? eh? eh?

Edit: Beet's special power is making chuds mad and red.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

quote:

How refreshing to see someone who is well-informed.

Every time I watch dev videos and content reveals, it's amazing how much they have that they aren't showing us (probably due to the lawsuit that recently wrapped up).

I remember watching the CitizenCon videos from ... man, 2016? With the sand worm attack on Daymar? They have poo poo tons that they're just waiting to unleash on us.

Edit: And as they've said recently, they aren't going to show us all the SQ42 stuff, because that would just spoil the story. They initially weren't going to release the Carrack until after SQ42, much in the way they are only giving us a shell of the Idris to avoid spoilers.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I trust Chris Roberts to lead us through this probably six month to year or two or loving holy poo poo forever crisis completely unscathed. development better than ever! more pledges than ever! never before done development! AI! VR! mocap! someone called mark loving hamil! wing commander!

Praise be!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What did you get him and why didn't I get any?

jpegs. I assumed you didn't want any

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

jpegs. I assumed you didn't want any

Jerk

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oof. poor commando.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

You didn't get me poo poo for Xmas Beet!

drat, at least a pic of Kayak.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I'm a bit late to the party so I took a trip over to r/starcitizen_trades and I honestly cannot believe people are buying jpegs. '600i' and 'deluxe ground vehicle pack' are just code-words for drugs or something right?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Dooguk posted:

Insane Cult Quotes or ICQ.

I love that the fact that an Idris that costs what, $1200 being something important to a single player game is completely reasonable to this guy.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Everyone give your stimulus checks to Chris, he's going to need them!

Chris, take my energy!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dragonrah posted:

I love that the fact that an Idris that costs what, $1200 being something important to a single player game is completely reasonable to this guy.

But, you see, the interior contains spoilers, that's the only reason why it is in citizens of the stars without it. Now we're being reasonable

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Dementropy posted:

:words:

That's a Poe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
East poo poo, Star Citazn

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Uh, so because other games have had 12 year developments, SC needs to be in development for 24 years in total? This means that if SC had started development at the same time as Privateer 2 it would be releasing right now.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Strangler 42 posted:

Here is something to consider given Chronicles winding down amid virus panic: CIG is still posting good funding numbers and shows no signs of slowing down. So either there are people out there spending money on ships during an economic crisis, OR, CIG is still juicing their numbers to keep whatever suckers they still have on the hook confident and spending. Now I could believe the former, but if the latter is the case, CIG is running the risk of flat out running out of cash at any given point with no warning signs whatsoever. Things will be great and videos will be released on a daily basis then one day without warning they close up shop even though the funding tracker says that they're doing fine. That will lead to some hard questions about how they were spending more than they were bringing in (going against what Chris said), how they spent all their padding including the 46 million from Calder, and how they didn't adjust their staff numbers to work with the level of funding that they were showing on the tracker (which would be erroneous because their juiced numbers would mean they had to slash their workforce to a skeleton crew to fit their true budget).

CIG lies about the Roadmap, lied about Rexzilla, lied about Chris and Sandi’s marriage, lied about illfonic’s Star Marine, lied about Sataball, lied about VR in 2016, lied about “like Call of Duty but better because we’ve got a much bigger campaign”, lied about land claims, lied about Sandworms, lied about 100 Star Systems at launch, lied about Salvage in 3.4, lied about wrapping up Squadron in 2015-2020, lied about coffee machines, lied about space doors, lied about “the anonymous hate campaign”, lied about Sandi’s acting career and use of company properties to support it, lied about explosive decompression, lied about the Sandi Monica bloodbath, lied about custom peripherals, lied about AMD, lied about the Jennison letter, lied about things they didn’t even need to lie about from 2013-2020, and even lied to a reclusive, ruthless, germaphobic billionaire in order to pry $46 million out of his coffers.

But I trust their funding tracker is a complete honest real-time depiction of totally organic demand that just goes up and to the right forever, even during a pandemic-induced economic crisis that is killing off hundreds of thousands of businesses in all the countries backers live and work in.

I gotta believe!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 26, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dementropy posted:

First of all, let's be clear here. $275 million is not enough money to make two games. If you don't understand that, maybe you should consider that it took Destiny (one game) $500 million to make. And Destiny, built on existing tech and engines in a stacked studio, doesn't have half the complexity in game engine or tech that the PU (a shaky alpha representation) already displays.

So why is Star Citizen getting chided for having a minimal budget and just as many people?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

for all intensive porpoises I think he had a point

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lethality the Harbinger of Failure strikes again.

Awesome! posted:

did anyone try getting lethality to back covid yet? maybe thats the easiest answer to seeing it die.

:vince:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dementropy posted:

First of all, let's be clear here. $275 million is not enough money to make two games.

275 million is not enough money to make two games

it's enough money to make two dozen games and then have hundreds of millions left over :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Just markers and a window are hours of juvenile fun.

Careful if you have a window and a ton of post-its, though. You might start a war.