Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

edit: Nevermind unless you just happen to know the answer. I'm going to be not lazy and just go try it out.

I'm writing up some notes on how I'm going to proceed on the project I mentioned earlier where I'm going to split up my stupid 10 disk raidz1.

One part of it is that I'm going to have to copy all the data off of it onto USB 8TB+ WD Easystores.

Are those usable on Linux out of the box or do I have to format those in some way?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They will be ExFat formatted so if your Linux can write to that, otherwise it takes like one minute to reformat to whatever you want

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm off and running! Set up my shares, sub directory settings, disabled the cache, and started copying. Boy I wish I had 10gb in my LAN, my A-M folder for Linux Distros is going to take 7 hours alone.

I had previously separated my Plex libraries by A-M and N-Z to make them easier to navigate due to volume. Do you guys do something similar or throw them all in same folder and have another way to not be overwhelmed in the list?

I'm at the critical opportunity to redesign file structures so taking it!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

I'm off and running! Set up my shares, sub directory settings, disabled the cache, and started copying. Boy I wish I had 10gb in my LAN, my A-M folder for Linux Distros is going to take 7 hours alone.

I had previously separated my Plex libraries by A-M and N-Z to make them easier to navigate due to volume. Do you guys do something similar or throw them all in same folder and have another way to not be overwhelmed in the list?

I'm at the critical opportunity to redesign file structures so taking it!

How often do you actually navigate the raw file structure?

IMO it's a waste of time to do that level of micromanagement

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

How often do you actually navigate the raw file structure?

IMO it's a waste of time to do that level of micromanagement

What I mean was that my Plex library was separated into the halves of the alphabet, not just the files themselves. Navigating that with a ton of files can be onerous.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bob Morales posted:

They will be ExFat formatted so if your Linux can write to that, otherwise it takes like one minute to reformat to whatever you want

Actually, they're ntfs. No problem to mount that though.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

What I mean was that my Plex library was separated into the halves of the alphabet, not just the files themselves. Navigating that with a ton of files can be onerous.

Just seems like a lot of added effort for nothing really gained. Search or the alphabet selector on the right

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Quick question for the thread- looking for a new driveless 2-bay NAS to throw a couple 8TB drives into. I want something that has a good feature set, but I don't really need a super powerful NAS. It'll primarily be used for backing up 3 macs, general file sharing, and maybe as an NVR for 1-2 IP cameras. I'm not really looking for virtualization capabilities right now, but it might be fun to tinker with at some point so I won't rule that out.

I'm currently looking at a Synology DS218 or DS218+, and just looking for deals (not in a huge rush). Either one seems like it would check all of my boxes. What other models/manufacturers should I be keeping an eye out for?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Other than Synology, there's quite a lot of people who're quite fond of QNAP - who also make similarily spec'd systems where you just add some drives, sprinkle a bit of magic with a webui-wand, and poof you have a NAS.
There's also Asustor and TerraMaster which can sometimes be had for cheaper, but I don't hear as many people singing their praises.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VMware 6.7 has some bug where the SATA drives are really slow. Still slow even after reverting back to the old, pre-6.5 AHCI driver

Samsung 860 EVO SATA vs a Silicon Power NVME

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I recommend the Synology + series if you ever want to tinker with anything processor intensive, though the DS718+ has a 4 core instead of a two core.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

There's a Plex megathread BTW, but aside from that there's no reason to manage your library like you're doing. PMS just needs to identify what type of media is in each folder (e.g. Movies, TV shows, etc.) solely for DB association. Then it takes care of pulling metadata and organizing movies into collections for you; intentionally having the same type of media in separate folders (on the same physical drive, at least) does absolutely nothing for you.

I have well over 2.5k movies and the single-folder system works just fine for me. Sure if you're just browsing then you have to navigate through that many entries, but having two artificial libraries makes that more difficult as you've added an extra step.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oh goddamned a 6TB I just tried adding to my array is 1k larger than my parity disk!

Running preclear hoping it'll fix this HPA issue with Gigabyte motherboards (it's original home) so I don't have to run another parity check. Didn't realize that would take a day to run so if it doesn't fix it I'll have ANOTHER day to wait to transfer the parity disk to that drive.

Ah well, got nothing but time on my hands....

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Can't you overprovision the disk slightly via raw ATA commands a bit more than the disk already is, effectively just giving the disk a few more spare sectors to use in case some of them fail?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

Can't you overprovision the disk slightly via raw ATA commands a bit more than the disk already is, effectively just giving the disk a few more spare sectors to use in case some of them fail?

If I can I have no idea how to do that! I'll google it up.

Would I do that to the parity drive? If so, aren't I in the same boat as I'd have to rerun a parity check on the newly "expanded" parity drive?

I think running the pre clear on the drive is still a good idea, just not something I considered when I started this whole process. I didn't do it on the two shucked drives that make up my parity and first 6tb in the array so down the line when I have more drives will need to circle back to make sure they aren't prone to early mortality.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TraderStav posted:

If I can I have no idea how to do that! I'll google it up.

Would I do that to the parity drive? If so, aren't I in the same boat as I'd have to rerun a parity check on the newly "expanded" parity drive?

I think running the pre clear on the drive is still a good idea, just not something I considered when I started this whole process. I didn't do it on the two shucked drives that make up my parity and first 6tb in the array so down the line when I have more drives will need to circle back to make sure they aren't prone to early mortality.
I was assuming you'd be doing the overprovisioning on the disk that has too many sectors.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Googling this up provides a lot of links about over-provisioning SSDs but nothing about HDDs. Looks a bit out of my league so I suppose I'll just play this out and maybe swap out the parity. At the pace the preclear is running it should only be about 7 more hours, if it maintains. Appreciate the input!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's because in the good ol' days, we called it short stroking

... which sounds pretty perverted, come to think of it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You can also just use partitions instead of raw disks, at least if you're on FreeBSD.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

smax posted:

Quick question for the thread- looking for a new driveless 2-bay NAS to throw a couple 8TB drives into. I want something that has a good feature set, but I don't really need a super powerful NAS. It'll primarily be used for backing up 3 macs, general file sharing, and maybe as an NVR for 1-2 IP cameras. I'm not really looking for virtualization capabilities right now, but it might be fun to tinker with at some point so I won't rule that out.

I'm currently looking at a Synology DS218 or DS218+, and just looking for deals (not in a huge rush). Either one seems like it would check all of my boxes. What other models/manufacturers should I be keeping an eye out for?

I'm aiming to do something similar, except buy double and give one to a family member and remote sync for geographical redundancy. If that $200 14tb deal comes back that'd be pretty cool. I assume people are just taking them out of the enclosure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I kinda assume they're mostly all going to be the same, but just in case anyone has anything to say about a specific one, can anyone recommend a single drive with wifi or failing that with ethernet?

Looking for anything 2TB+...

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Was totally ready to count my new storage solution as online and stable this afternoon when I had a twinge in my eye. Went and looked, yep. I hadn't watched a movie in awhile and guess what didn't make the transfer over? I fully plan on learning rsync and getting that setup on a lower power box shortly but it was super nice to just be able to power up the Powervault, have SCSI detect it, remount it and get transferring in under 2 minutes.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hey Thread, wondering if any of y'all can help me out with a question. I have Wireguard running on my Unraid system and ddclient pointing a domain at my home ip, with port forwarding setup on the router for Wireguard's port. Minecraft server is running as a docker container. What I would like to do is have clients (my kid's school friends) connect to the Minecraft server through the Wireguard tunnel. However when I test it out the connected Wireguard client doesn't see the server, either by LAN IP or domain name. I can connect with an outside Minecraft if I port forward from the router to the Unraid server, but I don't want to keep that open for security reasons. I suspect I have configured the Wireguard connection wrong -- right now it is set to "Remote access to server". Do I want it to be "Remote access to LAN"? Is that secure? Thanks in advance -- also happy to take this question to Home Networking.

edit: My bad -- I can definitely connect by LAN IP but can't login because the client can't connect to the authentication servers.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 24, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You probably want some variant of split tunnelling, where your VPN users are only getting a route to the 172.x docker IP for Minecraft but otherwise rely on their existing network to get to everything else.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

You probably want some variant of split tunnelling, where your VPN users are only getting a route to the 172.x docker IP for Minecraft but otherwise rely on their existing network to get to everything else.

Ok thanks, I will look that up.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The SSD reliability study presentation finally hit Youtube (along with all other FAST'20 talks):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agZLbknJ-kM

Plus, there's also two other videos, that I found interesting. First is a brand new way of doing large-scale data loss protection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsKcnwQdR8
It's also interesting because it uses erasure codes, just like ZFS does for RAIDz2 and RAIDz3 - though it seems they've found a way to exceed the limit of 3 simultaneous failures?

Second is way of better predicting those failures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y72ONlpA1iM

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 26, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are 2.5" spinning drives topped out at 4TB for thic bois? Seems like its been topped at 4TB for years now. Is this market segment dead in favor of SSDs?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If they're cheap enough, I could see going with 4x4TB 2.5" drives in a 5.25" drive bay, and then just have a case which can fit 12-15 5.25".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Are 2.5" spinning drives topped out at 4TB for thic bois? Seems like its been topped at 4TB for years now. Is this market segment dead in favor of SSDs?

Seagate makes a 5TB Barracuda

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's ~191TiB with 15 groups of 4x5TB RAIDz1 vdevs, and even if you can only get 12 5.25" bays, it's still over 150TiB.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Is this market segment dead in favor of SSDs?

I mean, yeah. Most consumer systems aren't shipping with tons of storage and the price of 500GB-1TB SSDs has dropped to the point where they're easy to include in almost anything that isn't trying to be the cheapest possible build.

If you're looking at a case that can fit that many 5.25" 4-into-1 adapters, then you aren't really space limited, and there's 4U enclosures that fit 60-90 3.5" drives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I finally recalled the case I was thinking of, which can fit 18x 5.25" bays; The Lian-Li PC-343B

It can also fit 30 12TB or 14TB, which tops out at just short of 300TiB.

EDIT: It's a pity Lian-Li don't make good cases anymore. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 26, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Trying to think of the last time I stuck something in a 5.25" bay

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So I finally got my data transferred over to my UnRaid server and got Plex set up to reflect my watched status/etc. Re-enabled the cache and whoops wiped my Dockers.

So I can prevent a total failure in the future, now that the cache drive is install, provided I don't mess with that, I shouldn't see spontaneous wiping of my dockers again, should I? I want to make sure that I cover for that.

I'm going to back them all up to the array but I was just about to disable the old Plex server but now want to account for the long tail scenarios before deploying to the family!

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

For me it was this: http://www.easylife.org/fufme/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bob Morales posted:

I use mine a few times a month. I realize this is not common, just going off on how loving scarce it was to find a new PC case with a bay.

CDs remain the cheapest (used) and most effective source of DRM-free lossless music. At least if it's not on like Bandcamp. Most people already gave up and just pay for Spotify or whatever garbage, which for a normie I understand. There's also the occasional movie/show that isn't on any streaming service but is on DVD/BD.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

TraderStav posted:

So I can prevent a total failure in the future, now that the cache drive is install, provided I don't mess with that, I shouldn't see spontaneous wiping of my dockers again, should I? I want to make sure that I cover for that.

You shouldn't see that but you may wish to consider the Backup/Restore Appdata Plugin as a backup solution (for more than just appdata)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What is go brrrr

:wheels:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My combo HD DVD / Bluray drive is making some wild whirring noises. Pretty sure it's close to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

You shouldn't see that but you may wish to consider the Backup/Restore Appdata Plugin as a backup solution (for more than just appdata)

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I was pleasantly surprised that all the docker DATA was preserved so once I re-installed the docker it fired right up.

Secondary question: In my Precision 7810 I recently installed a 3.5" in the 5.25" bay (with slim line DVD right there). It's been running pretty hot (52-54C) and throwing errors, I took the front panel off and it's about 10C lower since then but the other drives are in the 30s. Is there a fan I can put in the 5.25" bay or something that can be recommended to help pull away some of that heat?